PDA

View Full Version : really dry section of hair!

newbiewink
January 5th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Well, I've drastically improved the condition of my hair by eliminating proteins in my products and clarifying every 3rd or 4th wash. My hair is soft and smooth and the ends aren't breaking... except for this one section of hair! I don't have bangs, but if I had bangs the section of hair would be the bangs area/the wispy pieces along the sides of my face that usually fall out of my braids and updos.
Anyways... those pieces are very dry and have split ends and I'm not sure how to get more moisture into them without it looking greasy. I do oil sometimes, but that area can get greasy looking quickly while dry at the same time if that makes any sense. I do like to have a little bit of hair hanging out when I put my hair up so it doesn't look so harsh. That's probably where the damage has come from.
Help!

Lioness
January 5th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure about this but isn't clarifying every 3 to 4 washes a bit too much?

It can be that this strand of hair is dry because of unsufficient haircare (not putting it in updo,etc) or because your hair has a different texture in that area.
Is that strand of hair only dry at the ends or from the roots to the tip?
And how long is this strand of hair?

violeteyes
January 5th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I have the same problem! I was told by a hairdresser that it's from all the extra handling that the hair around your face gets, because it's usually the pieces that you notice the most. When you touch it too much, not only do you stress the hair, but you also transfer oil from your hands onto your head.

LaurenH
January 5th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I have the same problem! I was told by a hairdresser that it's from all the extra handling that the hair around your face gets, because it's usually the pieces that you notice the most. When you touch it too much, not only do you stress the hair, but you also transfer oil from your hands onto your head.

That makes sense... I kind of have this problem too. The front part of my hair around my face, all the way down the length of those sections usually seem to be dryer and frizzier than the rest of my hair. I've compared those sections of hair to the length in the back of my hair, and the hair in the back is so much softer and shinier; a noticeable texture difference. The front part of my hair IS the most damaged though, since I used to always use a flat iron on those front layers to curl them under, so I'm sure that probably has something to do with it too. :rolleyes:

GoddesJourney
January 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I'm going to agree that it gets a lot of extra handling. Furthermore, this is probably the area that rubs a lot on your pillow. Mine gets better when I use silk pillowcases. It's alway a little more dry and damaged though, for a variety of reasons. The first reason is that it's much finer than the rest of my hair. I also play with it more. I think this area and my crown get the direct shampoo application and all the rubbing from lathering. Along with more sun/wind/getting pushed out of my face by dry, rough hands, I would say it's a no brainer.

newbiewink
January 5th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure about this but isn't clarifying every 3 to 4 washes a bit too much?

It can be that this strand of hair is dry because of unsufficient haircare (not putting it in updo,etc) or because your hair has a different texture in that area.
Is that strand of hair only dry at the ends or from the roots to the tip?
And how long is this strand of hair?
Once every 3-4 washes translates to about once every week and a half or so. I could stretch that out a bit more.
The piece of hair falls a little below shoulder length (the rest of my hair is bsl). It's dry mostly from ear length to shoulder. I figured its because of the extra wear and tear that area takes... but how do I get some moisture back in it?

nuxa
January 5th, 2010, 08:20 PM
well this wasn't the initial subject but anyway... you should only clarify when you feel there is some type of residue on your hair that doesn't come out with your regular washing (product bildup)! if you are off cones or using a regular poo wash, you shouldn't need to clarify that often IMO.
But lets here other opinions on that :hmm:
As for the bangs, I'd say thats from all the extra handling to. Try some S&D only on those dry bits, that might help :)

Here's a good article on splits iff you haven't found it yet: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8

:flower:

Captain Nikki
January 6th, 2010, 01:00 AM
This might sound weird but when i used to get about outside without my hair tied up it would blow around & those bits of hair closest to my face would end up in my mouth. Then i'd pull it out of course & that probably caused damage & i'd always have loads of split ends there when i S & D'd. Then cause i was always trimming the splits, those sections of hair were always shorter than the rest of my hair.
I have found the best thing to relieve dry ends is to apply cone free conditioner to dry hair, leave for an hour or whatever, then add more conditioner & rinse out.

Anje
January 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM
That's a problem region of hair for me, too. It's not particularly dry in my case, but it tends to be especially fine, splits readily, and probably wouldn't grow anywhere near the length of the rest of the hair even if I could keep it in absolutely perfect condition.

I tend to deal with it by ignoring everyone who says not to condition above the ears. I like to ensure that all the hairline hair gets a good thorough dose of conditioner every single wash. S&D it often, too, because you might was well avoid having splits in the region if you can help it, which should reduce the tangling and further splitting there.

Good luck. If you find a magic trick that will make that hair grow thick, long, strong, and not get stuck in mouths, glasses, etc., you will have a lot of grateful folks here!

newbiewink
January 11th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I think I previously had been focusing on conditioning below the ears so a big part of that section probably wasn't conditioned enough. It's still dry, I've been S&Ding which is very addictive! My left side is worse than my right which makes sense because I sleep on my side and the left side of my face is on the pillow. Hopefully my satin pillowcase will help.

motormuffin
January 11th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Any certain reason you are eliminating proteins? Do you ever do any kind of deep conditioning where you leave condish on your head all wrapped up and get it warm? Maybe that would help...

Gumball
January 11th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Ah that's my canopy. It gets the brunt of the environment and anything that is done style-wise since it's on the front lines. For me I just keep oiling and moisturizing in a never ending battle to stave off insanity.