PDA

View Full Version : damage from razor cut

LilacTea
January 5th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I just got my hair cut over the weekend and asked for face framing layers. Before I could stop her the stylist used a razor to cut them and now I have split ends obviously caused by the razor. Luckily only the front was razor cut, but now I am pretty upset since the rest is healthy and I know it was the cut that damaged it. Has this happend to anyone else? So far I've just been doing S & D, is this an okay approach to the problem?

Lioness
January 5th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Razor cuts are notorious for causing split ends and exposing them more than usual cuts.
S&D could help solve the problem but i think getting the layers cut again the normal way would be best.

Carolyn
January 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM
If it were me, I'd go the S & D route and then in a couple months get the layers re-done with scissors.

Vianka
January 5th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Yep, this has happened to me. I had a hairdresser that insisted on giving me an entire haircut using only a razor. I never had so many split ends in my life and my hair was barely shoulder length. You'll have to do a lot of SD and then be adamant about not using a razor. I always tell them before cutting that I do not like the razor because some hairdressers won't ask before they start sawing away.

lilish
January 5th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I agree that you should enjoy these hairstyles now. I remember when I was in high school and wanted to have "fun" hair my mother wouldn't let me. The problem is you can't really have hair all different colors like I wanted it and work in my field. I really wish I could have done this back then. So have fun with it! It's done now so learn how to style it and enjoy.

Side note, I'm new to a lot of this. Why do razor cuts make split ends? I did a search and all I could find was that they are bad and split your ends. Sorry if I missed something.

spidermom
January 5th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I don't understand the part about "before I could stop her she used the razor." Were you not paying attention? And how fast can one hair stylist move?

You can hold out the parts that she cut with a razor and use scissors to cut off the tip-ends of the hairs. That should put things right. Or just enjoy your new style and watch out for trouble; you might not have any.

To lilish, razors cut hairs at an angle when they should be cut straight across. Hairs cut at an angle tend to come apart (split ends).

Roseate
January 5th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I don't understand the part about "before I could stop her she used the razor." Were you not paying attention? And how fast can one hair stylist move?

I dunno about the OP, but I've run into problems before because I have to take off my glasses for a haircut, and I can't see what they are picking up (20/700 vision. Bats laugh at me.). I can tell by the different sound/feel when it hits my hair, but that's more or less too late.

Now I know to go over everything before the glasses come off, but I had to learn that the hard way.

celluloidwings
January 5th, 2010, 10:49 PM
The same thing happened to me when I had my hair cut in early December. I don't know how to properly do S&Ding just yet though so I've just gone about my normal hair routine. My hair isn't horrible but it made me sad when she used the razor. I brought it up but she used them anyway... D:

lilish
January 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks spidermom. celluloidwings- that's terrible. I hate when hairstylists do not listen to their clients. It is one of the reasons why I am on the hunt for a new one...

bumblebums
January 6th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I have a lot of experience with hair stylists (far too much, really), and I've learned to say this outright: "Please do not use clippers, razors, thinning shears, or flat irons on my hair." My current stylist knows not to do any of those things. Some stylists clearly get annoyed with scissors-only, especially when working on shorter hair. And when I encounter those stylists, I never went back to them for a second cut.

A skilled stylist should be able to get the "razor look" with scissors only, it just takes longer.

janedoe0
January 6th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you. It's good that it's just in the front though! Just baby it and S&D, then when it grows out you can have it trimmed the normal way.

Something similar happened to me a couple of months ago. In Beijing, heavily razored hairstyles are the norm, so I was careful to tell the stylist not to use a razor. She said, "Sure, we only use scissors here anyway." She first started to cut my hair with a pair of normal shears, but then pulled out a pair of thinning shears and started working away before I could stop her.

Sigh, live and learn.

walterSCAN
January 6th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I dunno about the OP, but I've run into problems before because I have to take off my glasses for a haircut, and I can't see what they are picking up (20/700 vision. Bats laugh at me.). I can tell by the different sound/feel when it hits my hair, but that's more or less too late.

Now I know to go over everything before the glasses come off, but I had to learn that the hard way.

I got the worst haircut of my life that way-- my vision's 20/200, so not quite as bad as you, but still bad enough that I went home and cried for hours after the cut. Thank goodness for contacts!! Now I don't have to worry about it so much...

Anje
January 6th, 2010, 01:07 PM
If this was that recent a cut and you have splits from the razor, you (or a friend who knows how to cut hair) might be able to figure out how she sectioned the layers and re-cut them slightly shorter with scissors.

I would suggest also paying a visit to the salon and informing them that their razors are SERIOUSLY dull and that you got tons of splits within a few days of the cut. If you got splits that fast, they really need to replace the things. (They might offer to fix it. Whether you trust them to do so, with scissors, is up to you.

Mutinous
January 6th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I would go back there and show them the damage they caused, they should fix it for you with scissors.

I had my hair razored once years ago, but it really hurt (it was pulling the hair out of my scalp!) so never, ever again!

enfys
January 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM
You knoow, I neer thought about that before, that razors would dull. It's obvious but then I've never taken one to my hair.

I'd go back and try and get a more senior person to have a look and fix it. They ought to recognise word of mouth is important to trade so you shouldn't have a problem, especially since it's only a small area at the front.

LilacTea
January 6th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I ended up trimmimng them myself and it seems to have helped. I did have my glasses off, and do see really badly, but mainly this just happened because I was looking down and then saw her using them all the sudden and didn't speak up about it. I wasn't sure about the razoring but figured she'd allready started and maybe it would be okay. I'm not sure if they were dull or if she just had bad technique. Next time I will say no razors.

ArienEllariel
January 6th, 2010, 08:59 PM
That happened to me too. I tried to stop the stylist but she said something along the lines of "I can't do that style without using a razor". What she really meant is "I can't cut hair very well and I don't feel like trying". Thankfully I had them redone later by someone who new how to use scissors. :P It looked fine after that.