PDA

View Full Version : So...I had to chop my hair off this summer

violeteyes
January 5th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I *just* joined this site, so please be patient with me and my confusion with all the acronyms! Anyway, here is my dilemma: this summer, I was talked into getting my waist-length hair chopped to my collar bone. I have been going to the same hairdresser for years, the same one who has cut my mothers hair since before I was born,and I trust her with my hair. But, she is almost always booked for literally months, so last summer, she recommended I go to her friend in the same building. I started out with long, shiny, layered brown hair that I blowdryed and straightened everyday. Because my previous hairdresser was particularly meticulous about split ends, she always made sure I left with healthy hair; but this new hairdresser was not nearly as knowledgeable about proper hair care and insisted that split ends were "nothing to worry about". So, months later, I started getting comments on how people could "see" the ends of my hair (white dots) and how dull and split it looked. So, I was naturally pretty upset and I demanded to go to my original hairdresser. She told me that the only way the damage could be fixed was to cut it off- and so I did. I gasped when I saw the strands of hair on the floor. But, it did inspire me to take better care of my hair- no more heat styling and brushing when the hair was wet. No more super-straight, sleek strands. I will say that I am a bit discouraged these days- my hair is STILL not back to the original length. Have any of you had hair horror stories like this? And (approximately) how long do you think it will take for my hair to hit 30 inches if it's about 26 right now? *sigh*

missjessiecakes
January 5th, 2010, 05:14 PM
26 to 30in

Do you know your growth rate? But on average 4-8 months is the estimate.

It will get there and welcome to LHC

violeteyes
January 5th, 2010, 05:16 PM
well, that's the thing- I don't think that my hair grows at a constant rate per month, sometimes it grows less and sometimes it grows more. And thank you for the welcome :)

missjessiecakes
January 5th, 2010, 05:21 PM
on average hair grows 1/2in to 1in a month. So 4 months fastest 8 months slowest unless you have some majorly slow growth.

There is a really cool growth spreadsheet thing on here.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=36275

julliams
January 5th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Welcome to LHC. I'm sorry to hear that you lost so much length to damage. My hair is about 25 inches so I'm very close to your length and my goal is 32 inches which I estimate I will get to by October this year. This is based on monitoring my growth per month since September and assuming that I will continue to grow at this pace. Since you have only 4 inches to grow, it depends on how fast you grow, but it could take up to 8 months.

Your original hairdresser is right, it is important to take care of the splits and it is way more managable to take them off as they come in. A technique called S and D (search and destroy) is great. It's where you go through your hair, find the splits and cut them off yourself with hair scissors. I do this and probably cut off between 1 - 10 each time. There is also Feye's self trim method which is a great way for trimming your own hair so do a search for that - I don't have the link I'm afraid.

It has been awful for you but you have now come to the conclusion on your own that heat styling is not the way for you. I have done the same thing (used a straightener about 3 times a week previously) and I have come to love my waves. Some days my hair looks fantastic and other days it's a frizzy mess - it really depends on the weather for me. Often I find that wash day is a bit fluffy, and then it settles down and looks much better on day 1 - 3.

Concentrate on pampering the hair you do have. Do a search on SMT treatments for the recipe which is brilliant for your hair. I have also just introduced a coconut milk soak which is doing wonderful things for my hair. My siggy is my hair at it's curliest and I don't normally wear it like this, it's more wavy usually.

Your hair is now below BSL I would imagine so you do have long hair again and it won't be long until it's at waist length for you. I've still got 7 inches to go so it feels like it's going to take forever but I'm going to try to enjoy the length I have now and what I can do with it. I know this is alot of info to take in but look around and I'm sure you will enjoy trying all these new techniques and treatments out.

Juliette

Fractalsofhair
January 5th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Welcome to LHC. Your hairdresser gave you good advice about no heatstyling. I had to get a short pixie from using a blowdrier on my hair.

I would suggest also doing "conditioner only" washing (Where you use a lightweight conditioner instead of shampoo) to prevent future damage, and so you don't have to get your hair cut all that often and so that you could possibly get your haircuts down to 3 or so per year, and thus book them with your current hairstylist, who sounds awesome!

violeteyes
January 5th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Thank you, both of you, for your replies and help! I do LOVE the way my hair looks straightened, but my fine hair just can't take the heat for too long:( I wish my hair was either wavier or straighter- it tends to wave pretty well on some days around my face, but looks almost straight in the back.

Welcome to LHC. Your hairdresser gave you good advice about no heatstyling. I had to get a short pixie from using a blowdrier on my hair.

I would suggest also doing "conditioner only" washing (Where you use a lightweight conditioner instead of shampoo) to prevent future damage, and so you don't have to get your hair cut all that often and so that you could possibly get your haircuts down to 3 or so per year, and thus book them with your current hairstylist, who sounds awesome!

hmm..I've been reading up on conditioner only and I don't think my hair would do too well- its extremely oily