PDA

View Full Version : Hot of the press: The Artemis Bun video.

Hypnotica
January 5th, 2010, 11:56 AM
One of the presents from BF's parents this time, was new lights for the bathroom. Which means that I don't have to wait until there is daylight in this part of the world again :)

This bun is nothing absolutely new or ground braking, but it is one of my absolute favourites.

The Artemis Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBjLxJF1zIc)

Akiko
January 5th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I like how fluffy it is. Thank you for making nice videos. They have been always quite helpful. I also find your selection of music fascinating! Very nice.

missjessiecakes
January 5th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Squeeeeee! A new hypnotica video!

Very nice:D it looks sweet.

Hypnotica
January 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM
The music is from a BBC series - "The Virgin Queen". The whole soundtrack is just amazing.

Lioness
January 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Lovely!
At first when i saw you putting in the hairfork i thought OMG that thing is huge! And after a few seconds it just completely disappeared into your hair...it's magic haha

WavyGirl
January 5th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I agree with all the above. Thanks!

Akiko
January 5th, 2010, 01:20 PM
The music is from a BBC series - "The Virgin Queen". The whole soundtrack is just amazing.

Thank you, Hypnotica. I am listening right now. Great music!

Hypnotica
January 5th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Lovely!
At first when i saw you putting in the hairfork i thought OMG that thing is huge! And after a few seconds it just completely disappeared into your hair...it's magic haha

I like magic buns ;) Especially BIG ones!

Hypnotica
January 5th, 2010, 01:23 PM

The first song's lyric is supposedly derived from a poem written by Elizabeth.

Tangerine
January 5th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I really like that! Will need to try it out - although I am not sure if I have long enough hair.

What fork is that in your video? It is huge and scrumptious :D

paperwhite
January 5th, 2010, 01:34 PM
That's a great video! I don't think my hair's long enough to get past the nautilus part yet, unfortunately :/ I'm marked it as a favorite so I can try it when my hair finally decides to get growing again! Love the fork, by the way :D

GlassEyes
January 5th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Can't do the bun yet, but you have pretty great taste in music. :p

I think I've seen that special too. Sadly, the only poem I can remember from Elizabeth is the one she carved into a window in the Tower of London with a diamond, and I don't think it went that way. Wouldn't surprise me though.

TO GOOGLE.

Gothic Lolita
January 5th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I've been doing a similiar bun for ages, but I never new there was a name for it.... I didn'T turn it 180°, which made it a bit instable... but I wore it when I received my diploma and got many compliments for it!

Anje
January 5th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Wow that's a big hairfork!!!

Hypnotica
January 5th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I really like that! Will need to try it out - although I am not sure if I have long enough hair.

What fork is that in your video? It is huge and scrumptious :D

It is a Baerreis, style Cygnus.

Hypnotica
January 5th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I've been doing a similiar bun for ages, but I never new there was a name for it.... I didn'T turn it 180°, which made it a bit instable... but I wore it when I received my diploma and got many compliments for it!

I forgot to mention in the video that you are suppose to turn it in the direction that makes the base tighter. Stupid me... :( Ah well, I hope the video is clear enough.

The inspiration for this is actually from one of my friends, she does somethin similair. I just tweaked it to fit my certain taste in buns. Because it is a "strong" bun (big and bold), I thought that Artemis would be a good name for it.

Michou
January 5th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Love it, wish my hair was long enough!

InTheCity
January 5th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Great video.

You inspired me to try the Nautilus bun, which I never have because A) didn't know what it is and B) didn't think my hair was long enough.

Well wouldn't you know it worked! And it actually held with a hair stick :D which I bought but still don't exactly know how to use.

Yess!

Tryst
January 5th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Wonderful video, awesome hair fork.

Love it -- I wish I had more hair & talent! :P

Teazel
January 5th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Awesome, Hypnotica! You actually inspired me to comb my hair out for the first time in 3 days (or is it 4? :hmm: ) - I've been sick with a bad cold. Could be swine flu for all I know.

The Nautilus is my all-time fave bun, so any variations on it are very welcome. I like this one! My hair is a bit longer than yours so a fair bit of twisting and tucking was required to stash away the ends, but it feels secure and the puffiness is nice. :)

Masara
January 6th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I'm going to have to try this one. I sometimes feel a nautilus isn't stable enough for me, turning it should help.

I've had to dig out the Virgin Queen CD after hearing that video. I've been in a mediaeval baebes phase recently anyway.

enfys
January 6th, 2010, 03:13 AM
I forgot to mention in the video that you are suppose to turn it in the direction that makes the base tighter. Stupid me... :( Ah well, I hope the video is clear enough.

The inspiration for this is actually from one of my friends, she does somethin similair. I just tweaked it to fit my certain taste in buns. Because it is a "strong" bun (big and bold), I thought that Artemis would be a good name for it.

I wouldn't worry; most people automatically twist in the same direction through habit. I always twist to the left unless I'm told otherwise, and in this case that would make it tighter yes?

Have you tried it with anything smaller than a MASSIVE comb? I don't have anything so big and I don't think a stick would do it somehow :o

Carolyn
January 6th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Love it! Thanks for making a video for those of us who can't follow written instructions. Dang...I'm going to have to get one of those forks!

Hypnotica
January 6th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I wouldn't worry; most people automatically twist in the same direction through habit. I always twist to the left unless I'm told otherwise, and in this case that would make it tighter yes?

Have you tried it with anything smaller than a MASSIVE comb? I don't have anything so big and I don't think a stick would do it somehow :o

Yes, normally I use one of my three-pronged forks. I haven't tried sticks - my hair is too slippery.

Wavelength
January 6th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Great video, but I have an important question. Will the bun hold when you're dashing through forests hunting under the moon with your entourage of virgin nymphs? How about when you're turning rude voyeurs into deer and making them run from their own hounds? :D

I do a similar bun, but I use a Ficcare to hold it across the top instead of a comb (as I don't have a big comb... yet). I'll check out the music too. Thanks!

Anje
January 6th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I love that bun... Unfortunately, I just can't seem to make it massive like that. Am I smoothing it too much, or is it just an issue of compactible hair?

Hypnotica
January 6th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I love that bun... Unfortunately, I just can't seem to make it massive like that. Am I smoothing it too much, or is it just an issue of compactible hair?

You are probably holding it too tight while making it. Also remember just to take a minimal amount from the central twist and then push the fork behind the bun as much as you can.

Hypnotica
January 6th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Great video, but I have an important question. Will the bun hold when you're dashing through forests hunting under the moon with your entourage of virgin nymphs? How about when you're turning rude voyeurs into deer and making them run from their own hounds? :D

I do a similar bun, but I use a Ficcare to hold it across the top instead of a comb (as I don't have a big comb... yet). I'll check out the music too. Thanks!

To answer your question: Yes.. :D

Although I have not tried to hunt with nymphs or turning people into deers, it does stay while digging the car out of massive snow and LARPing a very angy fire faerie.

girloctopus
January 6th, 2010, 10:11 AM
This worked really well! I'm currently holding it with a ketylo, but I think the fork would work way better because the single point stick is pulling a little. Two sticks may work better. I wish I hadn't busted my only fork I have right now! :wail: Oh well, I'm expecting some new ones soon :D

Thanks for the clear video! I know you don't speak in your videos so I appreciate the periodic text slides to help clarify what is going on :D Plus your music selections are great.

Thanks to your videos, I managed to FINALLY get a nautilus to stay securely all day long! I'm definitely adding this one to my standard styles too. Yay!

And I think I may toddle off to see about getting one of those cygnuses......

Hypnotica
January 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM
This worked really well! I'm currently holding it with a ketylo, but I think the fork would work way better because the single point stick is pulling a little. Two sticks may work better. I wish I hadn't busted my only fork I have right now! :wail: Oh well, I'm expecting some new ones soon :D

Thanks for the clear video! I know you don't speak in your videos so I appreciate the periodic text slides to help clarify what is going on :D Plus your music selections are great.

Thanks to your videos, I managed to FINALLY get a nautilus to stay securely all day long! I'm definitely adding this one to my standard styles too. Yay!

And I think I may toddle off to see about getting one of those cygnuses......

I'm really glad that you find my videos helpful :)

Wavelength
January 6th, 2010, 03:16 PM
To answer your question: Yes.. :D

Although I have not tried to hunt with nymphs or turning people into deers, it does stay while digging the car out of massive snow and LARPing a very angy fire faerie.

Fair enough! Sounds good to me! :D

sibylla
January 6th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Yeyyy!I love your tutorials keep up the good work!

Coriander
January 6th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Hypnotica, I always enjoy your videos. Thank you for posting this one! :)

Kiraela
January 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Lovely!

That is exactly what I thought, too, heh.

Lovely bun, lovely hair, Exactly what I've come to expect when I see notice of a new vid. :)

Anje
January 6th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Now I got it... Made the loop bigger and found the correct place to skewer it with a hair fork (I was doing it wrong). I think this is how I'm doing my hair tomorrow.

little_acorn
January 6th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Great video - but my hair is still a little short for this one :(

nowxisxforever
January 7th, 2010, 06:45 AM

Hehe, I thought it was Mediaeval Baebes! They did that soundtrack, if I'm not mistaken :)

dragonfrog
January 7th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks, Hypnotica! Your updo videos are always so easy to follow, and I have the best luck with your hairstyles :)

Thanks again :flower:

Hypnotica
January 7th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Hehe, I thought it was Mediaeval Baebes! They did that soundtrack, if I'm not mistaken :)

They sang on the soundtrack, but Martin Phipps is the composer.

Hypnotica
January 7th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I think this thread seriously lacks pics.

Pics pretty please?

kittensoupnrice
January 7th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I just tried this out this morning with a hairstick, and it worked great! Sorry, no pictures because I was running late to work.
My only sad comment is, the twisting around tends to make my layers stick out even more, but if I spend a little time smoothing things down before using the hairstick, it looks pretty good.
Hypnotica, I love that fork you use in the video! Do you mind if I ask what length cygnus it is?

spidermom
January 7th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I tried it; mine looks totally different (how is that possible?). I enjoyed the music.

pepperminttea
January 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I think I may have accidentally been doing my nautilus buns like this, they look like yours when you finished.

Nice to find someone else who appreciates Martin Phipps. :)

dragonfrog
January 7th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I think this thread seriously lacks pics.

Pics pretty please?

I agree... sorry for the poor quality, but my usual photographer is still sleeping, and I took this picture myself. I took the picture from a bit of an angle, hopefully my picture shows off the very large size of this bun. It's also very comfortable!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3409&pictureid=59629

Hypnotica
January 7th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I tried it; mine looks totally different (how is that possible?). I enjoyed the music.

My bun also differs a bit from time to time. :D It is a bun with a mind of it's own ;)

Hypnotica
January 7th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I just tried this out this morning with a hairstick, and it worked great! Sorry, no pictures because I was running late to work.
My only sad comment is, the twisting around tends to make my layers stick out even more, but if I spend a little time smoothing things down before using the hairstick, it looks pretty good.
Hypnotica, I love that fork you use in the video! Do you mind if I ask what length cygnus it is?

I think it's a 4,5 inch one.

Snowblood
January 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Hypnotica, I like all of your vids! ^^
And the new Artemisbun looks very beautiful.
Here are some pics, as you demanded. ;)

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6738/artemisbun.jpg (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/artemisbun.jpg/)http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5695/artemisbunseitlich.jpg (http://img707.imageshack.us/i/artemisbunseitlich.jpg/)

Hypnotica
January 7th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Oh wow, nice!

This is the *best* part of doing videos - actually *see* that they help people doing styles. I'm tickled pink!

Ven
January 13th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Ok, Here I have a Flipped Artemis bun. (I hope!)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1611&pictureid=60187

~Ven

Velvettt
January 13th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Another wondrously wonderful Hypnotica how-to to add to my list of saved videos. Thanks! :flowers:

GingerBoy'sMom
January 13th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Hypnotica, I am so jealous of your perfect hair line. Mine is much like a werewolf's :rolleyes:. I have saved this video for future use as my hair is not quite long enough...I think. The good news is that my hair has been growing like a weed. I can't wait until I graduate from sock bun 101.

Stevy
January 14th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Ooh, very pretty, and gives a nice voluminous bun even on my fine hair! Thank you!

Hypnotica
January 14th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Ok, Here I have a Flipped Artemis bun. (I hope!)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1611&pictureid=60187

~Ven

Flipped? Like a flipped cinnabun?

Ven
January 14th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Hi Hypnotica,

Yes. I start the bun lower on my head. Turn the bun (I think I am turning it more in a full circle almost) and then I flipped it up and secured with two sticks in an x shape through the outer holes of the bun...

My picture did not do it justice. It looks much better in person. I feel very elegant with this updo.

~Ven

Chrissy
January 15th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I need to research all of your tutorials! I am so inept at styles. Even when my hair was long I really didn't know what to do with it. I too love the music.

Kamustermann
January 16th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I love this bun!!

curlylocks85
January 16th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Wow! That is awesome. Thanks.

intothemist1999
January 4th, 2011, 06:17 PM
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6738/artemisbun.jpg (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/artemisbun.jpg/)http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5695/artemisbunseitlich.jpg (http://img707.imageshack.us/i/artemisbunseitlich.jpg/)

These pics answered one of my questions: the comb comes out *over* the hair at the bottom that's sort for forming a loop. I've been trying with a stick which may explain why it's not working out. First one was perfect! Others either didn't hold well, or I was pulling out the wrong parts (the results looked odd).

Also I will try your suggestion earlier in this thread about making the twist less tight.

My other question: should I be tugging the hair from anywhere particular? The centre bit; the side loops?

This bun was recommended to my in a thread where I'm looking for a big 'do so I can buy a big comb. lol! I'm really glad, because this bun is a beauty!

Wildcat Diva
June 22nd, 2013, 10:53 PM
Who else wants to give this bun some love (by reviving a dormant thread)?
It's my new favorite. I really like the part where you grab a bit of the center nub hair and then pull it up. That center part puffs out and is kind of see through and reminds me of a slinky. The video really, really helped me. Thanks again!
This can make for such a nice, big bun!

ETA: and my pic won't load...

jacqueline101
June 23rd, 2013, 05:40 AM
I love it.

melusine963
June 23rd, 2013, 10:23 AM
Hmm, this means I'll have to go buy a hair fork now.

Wildcat Diva
June 23rd, 2013, 10:59 AM
Happy shopping!

melusine963
June 23rd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Well, I'm wearing a sort-of Artemis bun. I only have a hair stick so I wasn't able to spread the loops out properly, but so far so good. :)

curlsgalore
June 23rd, 2013, 01:12 PM
I love this bun!! Sometimes I actually twist a little more towards my right where I can insert the fork/stick at two or three o'clock. I love how it looks and holds so well. I like the bigger/fuller buns like these. :)

The-Young-Maid
June 23rd, 2013, 01:22 PM
That was a great tutorial, that fork was gigantic!:applause

PeacenQuietGal
June 23rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
Subscribed! I will try this; although I am only just brushing waist. It's a beautifully done video Hypnotica! I'm sure I will enjoy your others as well :)