PDA

View Full Version : Biotin experiences anyone?

Ruvie
January 5th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I've been taking biotin for about a month now, and I have yet to really check what my growth has been. How long did it take for any of you to notice results with it? A few people mentioned headaches when taking it but I have yet to get one. Summers coming and Im very excited to let my hair loose :) :cheese:

redneckprincess
January 5th, 2010, 12:34 PM
It took me about 3-4 months before I really noticed a diffrence, no headaches some acne...

missjessiecakes
January 5th, 2010, 12:45 PM
It takes about 3ish months to notice a difference in overall health when you start taking supplements. Some people get acne some get headaches.

I've been taking it for awhile about 2ish weeks probably but I know I wont see accelerated growth for awhile if at all.

redneckprincess
January 6th, 2010, 07:46 AM
It takes about 3ish months to notice a difference in overall health when you start taking supplements. Some people get acne some get headaches.

I've been taking it for awhile about 2ish weeks probably but I know I wont see accelerated growth for awhile if at all.

I also noticed less shedding with the biotin...and for that reason alone I wonder about giving it to my dd12

chaoticwaves
January 6th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I began taking Biotin after I began losing a large amount of hair after losing a lot of weight. Within a month or so of beginning the regimine, I stopped shedding hair. I also took a multi-vitamin, B-Complex and Vitamin A. My hair is regrowing and filling in now, but I have not taken Biotin in several months. I did not have any side-effects from taking the Biotin and believe it helped stop the shed. As with any supplement, you have to continuosly take it to see results. Good luck!

Dolly
January 6th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I think my results were the same length of time....about 3-4 months.....I take it religiously now.....when I took my son in to get his hair cut, my hairdresser was amazed at how fast mine was growing.....it also helped my go from a very puny "i" classification, to a good "ii" (went from a pony circumference of 1 + 7/8 inches to 2 + 1/4 inches)......happy happy! No headaches, no skin issues.....

SlightlySoprano
January 6th, 2010, 10:11 AM
For me, biotin didn't make my hair grow any faster, but it definitely helped reduce shedding. YMMV as with any type of vitamin, our bodies process things differently.

pinchbeck
January 6th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I have just added one more millligram to my supplement regime which totals 4mg. Results will be posted in a few months.

jivete
January 6th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I started getting acne when the 4mg dose, so I reduced it to 2mg. I'm not entirely sure about growth benefits though.

Taika
January 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
i have been taking biotin for about 3months now, so far I do not notice anything... But Im still taking it since reading it does take time...

my dosage is 5mg.

Deborah
January 6th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Biotin did nothing for my hair, but it made my fingernails stronger.

piratejenny23
January 6th, 2010, 12:14 PM
i take 5 mg and have been doing so for over a year.

after about 3 months my shedding reduced significantly.

after 6 months i started getting a lot of comments from my friends on how long my hair was getting.

i think it has made my hair grow faster; however, i never measured my hair before LHC in october 09. for sure, though, i had not been able to get past APL for about 14 years, and with biotin i have gotten a little past waist! so even if it just extended my hair's growth cycle, it has definitely helped me grow longer and thicker hair. :hollie:

personally i had no problems with acne or headaches, but i know some people have. good luck!

Gothic Lolita
January 6th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I've started taking a large dose of Biotin 8 days ago, 5,150 mg in total. I've shed like hell that last two month ans silica, a hair vitamin and additional B vitamins and folic acids didn't do anything. I'm imaginig less shedding already, but that'S probably just wishful thinking... I'm not really looking for faster growth, although that would be a nice side-effect. I'll post when I'm sure about the effects.

aililiú
January 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM
what about biotin topically? i saw a biotin shampoo & conditioner in the natural shampoo section-- does anyone have experience with this?

RocketDog
January 6th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I used Nature's Gate biotin shampoo and conditioner (one bottle of each) and didn't find that it worked any different than the cheaper stuff I normally use. The conditioner was very thin (thinking back on it, it would have been perfect for mixing in an SMT) and I didn't care for the scent.

My daily supplements consist of 3,000 mg of Biotin, plus a prenatal multi (the only multi that doesn't make me nauseous) as well as folic acid, fish/flax/borage oil and I try to drink at least 100 oz of water and take in 50gms of protein. Because I take so many supplements it's hard to say if the biotin is really the one helping me, but I know that when I follow my little regimen I do notice reduced shedding and faster growth after a few months.

rogue_psyche
January 6th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I take a Hair and Nails supplement that has 2000 mcg of biotin among other things. I went from 1/2" of monthly growth to 1" of monthly growth.

These are the ones I take: http://www.nutritionexpress.com/lindberg/see+all/lindberg+healthy+hair+180+tablets.aspx

The company is based near me and the prices are good, so it's a good deal all around, at least for me.

Naamah
January 6th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I've been taking 5mg of Biotin daily for about 3 months now. I have definitely noticed a bit difference in my nails, and I THINK my hair growth has sped up a bit. I'm going to wait a while longer to see if I can tell of any changes.

newbiewink
January 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM
There is 3mg in the supplement I started taking and my face (which doesn't really break out) broke out HORRIBLY within 3-4 days. Eek! I dunno about hair growth yet.

celluloidwings
January 6th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I started taking Biotin last month, plus a multivitamin, and vitamin C. It seems that my hair has grown a lot since December 3. I measured 18 inches then but am getting 19 inches now. It's possibly I measured wrong the first time around so I won't know for sure for another 4 months or so.

Arctic_Mama
January 7th, 2010, 01:06 AM
No growth changes that I have noticed, but I do definitely notice increased acne, and the dosage is low. Le sigh :(

pinchbeck
January 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM
My daily supplements consist of 3,000 mg of Biotin, plus a prenatal multi (the only multi that doesn't make me nauseous) as well as folic acid I believe prenatal vitamins have about 3mg (3,000mcg) of biotin which means you're probably taking 6mg (6,000mcg) total. In addition they have folic acid (which is said to help prevent birth defects when taken before getting pregnant). Now I have to go find out more about folic acid to be more informed!

aililiú
January 8th, 2010, 05:11 PM
thanks rocketdog for your feedback :)

Jordan S.
January 8th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I've been taking the nature made liquid softgels. They are really tiny and cute and easy for me to swallow so thats one plus. :cheese:

As far as my hair goes though, I'm not really sure what it's doing for my hair. :confused: I've been taking it since Christmas.

ButterCup02
January 8th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I only took it for about a week because it caused me to break out. I know it works well for others though!

Helenae
November 21st, 2011, 07:38 PM
Hey :) I would like to bump up the biotin thread!
I've been taking it for a month and been recording all the changes carefully.

I've had no breakouts (been taking zinc too) or headaches.
After the first week I noticed longer eyebrow hairs whcih were growing back at a faster rate.
After the third week I noticed that my nails stopped breaking and were growing more evenly (although they haven't necessarily been growing quickly)
Now its been a month and my hair has grown an inch !! (Wishful thinking?? Seems too good to be true)
I'm taking 3000mcg btw with other supplements.

Any updates from people taking biotin? Or is the speed up of hair growth just a myth?

akilina
November 21st, 2011, 07:48 PM
I just started taking it again :) im taking it in a hair skin and nails supplement and its 3000mcg. i got this because it has other things in it and its also a lesser dose than i was taking in the past when i had troubles (bad breakouts and headaches). i figure maybe i can try that out and if it doesnt cause any problems maybe up my dose to 5000 mcg in a few months. in the past when i took it i did get much more hair growth

spike316
November 21st, 2011, 10:11 PM
Hey :) I would like to bump up the biotin thread!
I've been taking it for a month and been recording all the changes carefully.

I've had no breakouts (been taking zinc too) or headaches.
After the first week I noticed longer eyebrow hairs whcih were growing back at a faster rate.
After the third week I noticed that my nails stopped breaking and were growing more evenly (although they haven't necessarily been growing quickly)
Now its been a month and my hair has grown an inch !! (Wishful thinking?? Seems too good to be true)
I'm taking 3000mcg btw with other supplements.

Any updates from people taking biotin? Or is the speed up of hair growth just a myth?

So does taking zinc help prevent breakouts?
ETA: I was on a hair skin and nails supplement with biotin in it, but it made my face break out terribly so I stopped. Perhaps I'll try halving my dosage and see if I notice growth with that.

Amiblue
November 21st, 2011, 11:40 PM
So does taking zinc help prevent breakouts?

I believe zinc helps with the absorption.

I have been taking 5000mcg of biotin with my multi and omega 3's for almost a month now and haven't had any issues with headaches. My eye lashes are getting longer and fuller (YES!!!), my eye brows are getting thicker (which I like a lot) and I have a ton of new hair growth I can see around my face. I may have measured wrong and I don't have anything to go off of prior as I know I do have fast hair growth, but I seem to have gained 1'' in about 3 weeks. Can't complain about that at all! Hoping for TB by summer. :D

I did have an issue with breakouts at first, but that may have been from oiling my hair too much in the beginning. I just added in a couple extra face scrubs and an extra mask that week and my skin went back to normal. I would recommend doing that if you break out and see if it fixes the problem for you to.

I have also bumped my Hubby up from 5000mcg to 10,000mcg and he isn't having any issues either. New hairs are popping up to my excitement!!!

bouclée
November 22nd, 2011, 03:58 AM
I just started biotin again this morning. I used it in the past already (usually three months in a row) and always had good results (didn't measured though, but this time I will!).

Avital88
November 22nd, 2011, 04:13 AM
i just checked my biotin intake and i'm on a little under a 1000mcg a day, so i believe that isnt really enough to make a difference, but its a hair nail and skin supplement and i cant take more of it,else the other ingredients will go sky high..