PDA

View Full Version : Hair toys and Airport Security

linda g
January 5th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I will be taking a flight in a few weeks (25th anniversary trip! :cheese:), and my husband wants to take only carry-on bags.

So I need some feedback on what hair toys will and won't make it through airport security. I would hate to have any of my pretties confiscated!

Do any of you have experience with the following being a problem with security?

Wooden hair fork
Wooden chopsticks
Flexi-8

I have one with metal prongs that I am not even going to try, but I would like to be able to have some way to put up my hair during the week...

noelgirl
January 5th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I don't think that any of those would pose a problem. My hair toys were in my checked luggage when I flew for the holidays, but they let my knitting needles through security without a problem, and all of those are duller than that, I would think.

Libilou
January 5th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Where are you flying out of and to?

If you flying within the US, then there shouldn't be a problem. Outside, I don't know.

Hypnotica
January 5th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I flew just before Christmas and the Ficcare I wore beeped in security :D

linda g
January 5th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Within the US (Pennsylvania to Florida).

I'm just a little nervous because the last time I went through airport security, I had mistakenly used a 1 gallon bag instead of a 1 quart bag for my "liquid items"... even though I clearly had the correct amounts and number of items, my stuff was confiscated because the baggie was the wrong size.

Buying a new mini toothpaste and hand lotion wasn't a big deal, but replacing my precious hair fork would make me cry.

Sabayon
January 5th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Within the US (Pennsylvania to Florida).

I'm just a little nervous because the last time I went through airport security, I had mistakenly used a 1 gallon bag instead of a 1 quart bag for my "liquid items"... even though I clearly had the correct amounts and number of items, my stuff was confiscated because the baggie was the wrong size.

Buying a new mini toothpaste and hand lotion wasn't a big deal, but replacing my precious hair fork would make me cry.
Within the US those things are allowed, and most places outside the US have more lax airport security. If you are worried about being misunderstood print out the TSA list of things not allowed on carry-on flights (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm) and don't be afraid to (politely) challenge them. As a back up however, bring a small flat rate box addressed to yourself with postage paid. That way instead of having them confiscated you can just mail them to yourself. Honestly though, I doubt they'll bat an eyelash, heck since most of your thing are wood, they probably won't even know they are in there. I always keep wooden chopsticks and metal u-pins in my purse and have flown dozens of times with them and never has anyone even cared.

Qamar
January 5th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I've never had a problem with wooden hair toys and have a made it a point to check any metal hairtoys. I wasn't sure about bone though, because some of my favourites are bone hairsticks and hairforks and they are fairly sharp. When I took my daughter to the airport last week though I asked security about my bone hairtoy, taking it out of my hair to show them. They said it would be fine because it wasn't sharp enough to be a concern.

piratejenny23
January 5th, 2010, 10:30 AM
even though they might get through ok in carry-on, if you put them in your checked luggage there should be no problem. just for your own peace of mind. have a nice trip!

florenonite
January 5th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I'd be hesitant just because they're tightening security after the failed bomb plot on Christmas Day. For the next few weeks/months I suspect they'll be more likely to confiscate benign things because they're wanting to look like they're doing something. Just something to bear in mind.

MandyBeth
January 5th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Having flown on 12/27 and figuring it would be at best interesting to get home - no one looked twice at my carry on - which was my fiber and drop spindle, and I spun on the flight home. I got some odd looks, but I think that was more from being the weird pierced girl with the strange tattooed guy and I was spinning - little odd maybe.

Wooden hair sticks/forks should be ok. I'm not sure exactly what damage one can do with a hair dodad, tho' someone could probably tell me - but please don't, I like not knowing!

InTheCity
January 5th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Whichever one is the most questionable, I'd say consider wearing it. They probably won't notice it and even if they do, it'll be obvious what it is.

Also, *hijack* I just HAD to quote a friend of mine, something she said to me a while back. "Of course he's never been on a plane, he's from Pennsylvania." Your post made me think of it and it made me laugh.

kittensoupnrice
January 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM
For what it is worth, I just flew across the US last Thanksgiving. I, too, was very worried about having hair sticks confiscated.

I ended up putting all of them in a toothbrush holder separate from all of my toiletries in my carry on. So long as you stick with non-metal sticks and forks, they'd likely look at it in the Xray and assume they were pencils. The extra benefit from this is that they stayed really protected. :)

And this is coming from someone the TSA obviously hates! I almost always get searched, if not double and triple searched whenever I fly.

Alia
January 5th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I got through fine on Dec 23rd with my non-metal sticks in a carry on, but checked them on the 30th, because of the tighter security in the wake of the Wannabe Pantie-Bomber. I think a lot just depends on which airport, which people screen you, and any relevant current events. :)

MandyBeth
January 5th, 2010, 04:35 PM
And this is coming from someone the TSA obviously hates! I almost always get searched, if not double and triple searched whenever I fly.

You too? I swear, I get searched because I don't trip the metal detectors and they think I should. Yes, well a magnet won't stick to me either and really, I have no crazy impulses to blow myself up, let alone other people. Smack the stupids upside the head - sure. But that's as violent as I'll get.

Lamb
January 5th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I think anything not pointy and metal at the same time would be fine. :)
I do think it's odd that knitting needles are allowed, yet you hear about confiscated tweezers all the time - and I've never dared take my crochet needles (0.4-0.75 mm) on the plane. :shrug:

wendyg
January 5th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I do not check luggage, and I fly quite a bit. I usually braid the length and use a fork to hold it up when traveling. Inside the bag, no one's ever queried anything - sticks, ficcares, flexi8s, etc. But it's true that I don't usually travel with metal sticks, mostly because I don't really have many. Metal forks, though, yes, sometimes. It seems to be a non-issue. But I suspect they're usually more worried about the laptop(s)...

wg

teela1978
January 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I've always just worn a wood stick or fork. It doesn't set off the metal detector, and no one has ever mentioned it.

If you're really worried, just make sure you have extra time. You can go back to the desk and check stuff, or most airports have some postal center where you can send home scary looking hair implements, or grandpa's old pocket knife (stopped carrying that around in my bag) and probably not have to wait through the long line at security a 2nd time (they gave me a little pass that jumped me to the head of the line).

CrisDee
January 5th, 2010, 06:12 PM
As a flight attendant, I ran into this all the time when my hair was long (we're exempt from the liquid bans, but same as a regular passenger for everything else). Knitting needles, crochet hooks, scissors with less than 4" blades, and any hair toy I ever had were all permitted. The only problem I ran into was with the two-comb thingie that has the beaded elastics - the combs are metal, and set off the metal detector. I had to remove it from my hair, place it in the "dog food bowl" and have it x-rayed separately - then put my hair back up, my blazer, coat and shoes back on, and reassemble my suitcase ensemble, all with two pilots standing there tapping their toes waiting for me (ugh!) I would advise you to study the TSA's website (http://www.tsa.gov), but I can't imagine any hair toy that wouldn't be permitted in a carry-on. Sabayon's advice is the best, though - definitely take a self-addresed postage paid box or envelope with you so you can mail yourself anything they might deem problematic. Have a wonderful trip! :)

RavennaNight
January 5th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I think I am going to buy a hair sword for shizits and giggles and buy a plane ticket to see if they think that is inappropriate. :lol: Nah, not worth the trouble. But a funny thought. Imagine the headlines? Hair accessory shuts down airport! :rolleyes: Meanwhile someone is blowing up their underpants...

kittensoupnrice
January 6th, 2010, 06:42 AM
You too? I swear, I get searched because I don't trip the metal detectors and they think I should. Yes, well a magnet won't stick to me either and really, I have no crazy impulses to blow myself up, let alone other people. Smack the stupids upside the head - sure. But that's as violent as I'll get.

Well, I usually don't trip the metal detectors. Maybe I just have this manic gleam in my eye that tips them off! :p

Last time, though, I kept setting off the darn detector, even though I was not wearing anything metal. So, of course, I got searched and wanded. They were baffled, too.

linda g
January 6th, 2010, 07:35 AM

Also, *hijack* I just HAD to quote a friend of mine, something she said to me a while back. "Of course he's never been on a plane, he's from Pennsylvania." Your post made me think of it and it made me laugh.

:D That's funny!

I'm appreciating all the feedback on this, since I'm from Pennsylvania and all! ;)

Medievalmaniac
January 6th, 2010, 07:39 AM
a funny thought. Imagine the headlines? Hair accessory shuts down airport! :rolleyes: Meanwhile someone is blowing up their underpants...

This post made me spit coffee laughing. You are hilarious!!!

InTheCity
January 6th, 2010, 09:42 AM
:D That's funny!

I'm appreciating all the feedback on this, since I'm from Pennsylvania and all! ;)

You and me both! Though I've noticed that from one city to the next "village" can be like night and day. Good luck traveling and have fun!

Alia
January 6th, 2010, 12:25 PM
You and me both! Though I've noticed that from one city to the next "village" can be like night and day. Good luck traveling and have fun!

Hey! That's my state you're talking about! After all, without Pennsylvania, where would New Jersey put all of its garbage? ;)

CrisDee
January 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hey! That's my state you're talking about! After all, without Pennsylvania, where would New Jersey put all of its garbage? ;)

Hey, Jersey's my state! And we don't put our garbage in PA, we just export to you the garbage that NYC dumped on us! :D

Oh, and to the original poster - are you traveling within the US, or internationally? Don't know what rules other countries might have, I know that I've taken things into Canada that were perfectly legal here (non-serrated butter knife, candle lighter) that they wouldn't let me take back out again :( So make sure you read the rules not only to go through US security, but to go through the security of the country you're visiting :)