PDA

View Full Version : This whole reason I joined up *sigh*

Gypsy069
January 4th, 2010, 11:23 PM
While i plan on staying i must admit the reason i came here in the first place.

I have had this for almost 2 weeks now. Im starting to cry because I've tryed everything i have found on the web about it and nothing is fixing it. I love my hair and now it just looks gross. It's only the crown part of my head the rest of my hair is the same as always. This is killing me having to put my hair back everyday EVEN right after i wash it. Its like someone has dipped the top of my head in oil. *Cry* please help!!
I am a single mom of 3 kids and i have no insurance to see a doc.
I don't wash my hair everyday. Every other day yes. I do not use anything nor do i blow dry it. only air dry. i dont even comb my hair after i shower because i know it can brake it. *sigh*

This is my problem. As i started i do plan on coming back everyday though because its nice to find others who love the beautiful long hair as i do =)

DragonLady
January 4th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Have you changed something recently? Have you moved or changed your shampoo? Are you doing something differently or taking medication?

little_acorn
January 4th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Hi Gypsy - welcome to LHC :flower:

I'm so sorry to hear you are upset with your hair at the moment. From what I understand you are saying that your scalp and roots are very greasy but the lenght of your hair is fine? Do you have any more information about when this started happening? Did you change something/ become unwell etc?

Also what is your current routine - are you conditioner only washing? condition, wash, condition? shampoo and conditioner?

Qamar
January 4th, 2010, 11:30 PM
What is the specific problem you are having? It sounds like it started two weeks ago? If you give us some more information we might be able to offer suggestions to help but we need a clear idea of the problem and the time frame its been an issue for.

*hug*

Gypsy069
January 4th, 2010, 11:43 PM
It did start 2 weeks ago. I have changed nothing. My mom was a stylist so i was brought up to change my shampoo and conditioner every 3 months. Which i have done my whole life. The only thing that has be different in my life is i been happy..LOL.. although i don't see how that would bring on the bad. It was purely out of the blue that his happened. Far as what i do just shampoo and condition. I've never repeated it.
It is only on the crow of my head. Not the side or back. The length is also fine. I have been on the web for a week and half looking and i have tryed listerin, vinigar, Teatree oil (sorry if thats not spelt right), Baby powder. I read a lot of girls are going though the same thing but, no one can fix it.

BTW no new meds or nothing. As i said nothing is different. Thanks for the replis.

teela1978
January 4th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Could the new shampoo just not be getting through to the underlayers of hair? I have that problem sometimes, diluting the shampoo in a separate container (I have an empty plastic cup in the shower) and pouring over my head while massaging a bit helps me.

I hope your problem clears up.

DragonLady
January 4th, 2010, 11:54 PM
It sounds to me like that part of your hair just isn't getting clean enough. Maybe try combing a bit of shampoo into your hair and on your scalp before you shower? Also, if you change shampoos that often, maybe go back to what you were using before your last change? Maybe this brand/type just isn't working for you.

Laylah
January 4th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Maybe you can try just rinsing your hair in water on the days that you don't shampoo.

Hope everything works out :flower:

Qamar
January 5th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Did you change your shampoo two weeks ago? If you did, I would go back to what you were using prior to that. You could also try conditioner only washing and see if that helps. Put inexpensive conditioner like suave or v05 on your dry hair (slime it on and saturate your hair with it), let it sit for15-20 min and then massage your scalp well with the pads of your fingers while you rinse under running water in the shower. This is gentler than shampoo and may decrease the overproduction of oil on your crown area. Conditioner can get your hair clean but because it lacks detergents it needs time to sit to lift off the dirt and oils unlike shampoo.

The problem with overwashing is that it strips oil from your hair and scalp which then causes your scalp to up oil production and cause even greasier hair. Perhaps with the gentle cleaning of conditioner only your scalp oil production will decrease. It takes time for the oil production to decrease though, so be patient while your scalp adjusts. You could also try dry "shampoo" with baby powder in between shampoos to stretch out the time between washings. Just powder the oily areas with baby powder and brush out the excess. You hair will look much less oily.

Gypsy069
January 5th, 2010, 12:02 AM
This shampoo im using is the same thing ive used. I havent changed and when i do change i go back and forth between white rain ( i know not the best) and this stuff. It cant be that. As for not washing or rinsing enough thats not it either. I wash it by turning upside down and making sure it has been washed really good. When i was young i had very greasy hair and i SO didnt want to have that again. The rinse part, I stand in under the water till it runs clear and i also turn over to make sure ive gotten everything out.

Everything i have read, i guess i just have to buck up and hit the doc. Oh well thanks for all the sugestions though.

spidermom
January 5th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Try washing standing upright. Then the crown of your head would get more coverage. I saved an empty shampoo bottle to mix a solution of warm water and shampoo then shake well and squirt if all over my scalp. I get much better coverage this way. I'd advise you do this twice the first time (lather, rinse, repeat). Oh, and diluted shampoo doesn't give a lot of lather like you might be used to, but it will be enough to clean your hair and scalp. Give this a try; it's cheaper than a doctor, especially considering that over-production of oil isn't really a medical problem. I don't think a doc would have much to offer (I'm a medical transcriptionist so have some experience behind this belief).

manderly
January 5th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Sorry I'm having a bit of trouble understanding you, I get that you're distressed though.

How about you try washing your hair right side up, since your crown isn't getting clean enough for your tastes? Upside-down doesn't seem to be doing you any favors from what I gather.

Have you tried lathering twice? Sometimes once just isn't enough.

As for conditioner, have you changed that recently? Do you condition from root to tip? If so, I would only condition from your ears down.

As far as hair issues go, having really oily hair isn't the worst we've heard here, so I hope you can feel better about it. Sometimes hair just goes wonky for a short while, with changes in weather, hormones, water quality, routines, etc. We all deal with it at some point and we do the best we can with it. Just stay calm, try to work through it, and it will get better soon enough :flower:

HildeMV
January 5th, 2010, 12:23 AM
So you was your crown greasy right after washing it thoroughly with sls-shampoo? Do you want to perhaps change shampoo. Do you use cond too close to the roots?

I don't really turn my head upside down when I shower. But I use SLS shampoos and throughout scrubbing to make it squeaky clean, there is no other way for it not to turn into a greasepit.

Have you tried something like CO? It doesn't work for me, but it might for you.

ShadowSwallow
January 5th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Here's a great article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) by Kirin about troubleshooting hair issues. I highly recommend it. :flowers:

Masara
January 5th, 2010, 03:06 AM
My crown started getting greasy looking recently too. I tried changing shampoos, washing twice, not using SLS, stronger/weaker/no acid rince etc etc. None of it worked. Then I tried not putting any conditioner above my ears and that worked. I found that a bit strange because I've always used conditioner from root to tip, even with very short hair and it's never been a problem. It's the same conditioner I've used for ages.

I don't see why my hair has changed, but it has and I've had to change with it.

Katze
January 5th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I have similar hair to yours, and I suspect it isn't getting clean enough either. You could also be experiencing buildup. I have this problem more often than I'd like, so I do find myself washing more often (every 3 days at the moment).

It sounds to me like that part of your hair just isn't getting clean enough. Maybe try combing a bit of shampoo into your hair and on your scalp before you shower? Also, if you change shampoos that often, maybe go back to what you were using before your last change? Maybe this brand/type just isn't working for you.

And sulfates. I would recommend - at least this works for my fine hair and greasy scalp - washing with sulfates occasionally to get it REALLY clean.

Try washing standing upright. Then the crown of your head would get more coverage. I saved an empty shampoo bottle to mix a solution of warm water and shampoo then shake well and squirt if all over my scalp. I get much better coverage this way. I'd advise you do this twice the first time (lather, rinse, repeat). Oh, and diluted shampoo doesn't give a lot of lather like you might be used to, but it will be enough to clean your hair and scalp. Give this a try; it's cheaper than a doctor, especially considering that over-production of oil isn't really a medical problem. I don't think a doc would have much to offer (I'm a medical transcriptionist so have some experience behind this belief).

Second this idea.

As for conditioner, have you changed that recently? Do you condition from root to tip? If so, I would only condition from your ears down.

What she said. I almost never put conditioner on my hair above the ears - it just makes it get too greasy too fast.

It is a fine line with fine hair and I suspect, like me, your coarser 'M' hairs want more conditioning, while your finer hairs get easily weighed down. My M hair is at my nape, so I can easily put more leave-in or oils in that area without getting them on my scalp.

I am going through the same thing and am going to do an SMT tomorrow before swimming. That usually resets my greasiness and makes my hair happier. A vinegar rinse also works.

Also, what about washing more often but doing WO washes instead of using product?

hope you feel better soon!

OhMyCurlz
January 5th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Go to an Indian grocery and look for Fuller's Earth clay. If THAT doesn't soak up the oil....nothing will. They typically sell neem powders that you can play with as well. I bet money that the clay mask will do the trick....you may need to add oil after that one.

Some use bentonite clay on their hair for deep cleansing. Just go get some unscented kitty litter, grind it down so it's very fine and use that.

WavyGirl
January 5th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I know you say you are using the same products you always have but sometimes the formulas are tweaked and no mention of the change is advertised. I got caught out that way with one of my old favourite conditioners (they added cones :(). So a change to another brand just in case might help. Apart from that I can't think of anything that hasn't already been mentioned.

Good luck and welcome to TLHC. :waves:

Dolly
January 5th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Well, no further advice here, but to say I am sorry you are going through this....we all have issues from time to time, just try not to get too distressed. I agree that a doc may not be able to help you with an overly oily scalp.

Wash your hair while standing upright, first of all, and only apply conditioner from the ears down. See if that cures the problem. If not, I suggest conditioner-only washing to try to train your scalp not to over-produce.....I went through a period like that a few years ago, and cured it by doing CO washes for a few months......your hair will go through an adjustment period, but once it adjusts, if you stick with CO or another gentle routine, it will help.....

julliams
January 5th, 2010, 06:15 AM
It may be something hormonal. I'm guessing you've tried baking soda and a clarifying shampoo? Someone did have a post like this a while ago. I think it was a guy and he tried everything too but I don't know if it was ever diagnosed as anything in particular and i'm not sure of the outcome. Perhaps it's worth looking through the archives. If I come across it I'll post a link.

Juliette

Alia
January 5th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I know this looks like it is coming out of left field, but could you be pregnant? My hair went crazy greasy when I was. :shrug:

Gypsy069
January 5th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Thank you for all the help. Far as the PG thing.. not ever gonna happen in this body again. i had my tubes tied 2X and by that i mean they are double tied. =).

Only thing i read that i haven't tryed is the CO wash. i didnt know that washed my hair so i will give that a try. Just seems odd that my hair would do this out of the blue with me doing nothing differrent.
Thanks

Peggy E.
January 5th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I didn't see this mentioned - but have you tried using a vinegar/water rinse following your shampoo and concentrating on the crown/roots? Might help. Might not.

It sounds suspicious that you say "a lot of women" are going through this right now. That makes me think there's a seasonal thing at work and, of course, you can't beat the stress of Christmas for messing up the system, even if it's a happy time.

You also say the balance of your hair is fine, so what would happen if you were to distribute the oils down the hairshaft to the ends? You'd be doing your hair a favor and getting rid of the concentration in one area, both at the same time.

After all, the oil is not always necessarily a 'bad" thing. We just have been sold on the idea that oil is something unsightly and should be rid of immediately. To do so, we are to purchase a gazillion dollars' worth of products and keep a huge industry grinding along....

Oh, well, off my soapbox. It bothers you so I do hope you find a way to rid yourself of the condition. Chances are good it will go away on its own, if you can tolerate it a while longer - maybe find a style you like that incorporates a "sleek" look?

Xandergrammy
January 5th, 2010, 08:56 AM
You don't mention how old you are but maybe your body is going through hormonal changes that are affecting your hair/scalp? Just a thought.

Sheltie_Momma
January 5th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Think about if anything has changed besides your hair routine - changes in temperature, amount of excercise or time spent cooking. I guess I'm just wondering if you've been wearing a warm hat while you excercise or spend time outdoors, or more time cooking at the stove over the holidays, anything like that where your head is getting sweaty.

Madame J
January 5th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Have you recently turned the heat on? When we had a big snowstorm a month ago, I noticed my hair went all greasy. I started washing more often, but now my hair is used to getting washed every 2 or 3 days, so I'm going through the dreaded "transition phase" to get it used to being washed less often.

Honestly, if you go to the doctor and complain that your hair is greasy, the doc will probably just tell you to switch to a stronger shampoo or wash more often. Also, remember that different products work for different people -- it's the same with techniques. There are people with beautiful hair on this community who wash everyday. I know mellie has complained in the past that she cannot go more than a day without washing. She had a lot of success with natural methods for keeping her oily hair from looking too greasy -- right now she uses bentonite clay. I think she's posted a bunch of her stuff in the Natural forum.

Above all, try to calm down. Stress will make your scalp freak out and produce oil, so worrying about it so much is counterproductive. As long as you can keep it up (it's better for your hair anyway!), it won't look too bad to others. Good luck.

marikamt
January 5th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Also, could it possibly be build-up? Try clarifying.... it is cheap, easy and if it works, great, if not, no harm done.

My "scalp" are got waxy/ greasy looking all of a sudden while my length was okay (it literally happened overnight... I was trucking along fine and one day it looked/ acted weird and would not go away). I clarified and it seemed to fix it....

bumblebums
January 5th, 2010, 09:45 AM
My hair has gotten oilier in the past two weeks, too, and I am not doing anything different. I am pretty sure it's seasonal. The air is cold and dry, and I am wearing hats all the time. My solution: more water-only washes, French braiding, and lots of yoga.

SpinDance
January 5th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Have you tried diluting your shampoo? If the extra oil production is due to the scalp needing more oil, perhaps using less would make it happier?

I had sort of the opposite problem when I turned 20, I went from oily to dry almost overnight. That took a while to learn how to handle!

Could weather changes be making a difference in your other routines? Wearing hats more perhaps?

berr
January 5th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Perhaps a clarifying shampoo once a week?

I just went out and bought a bottle of seabreeze sensitive for the very similar problem. Flat oily looking hair. I use it (rarely and sparingly approximately a capful on scalp only, about 4 times a year) to get build up out of my scalp.

saskia_madding
January 5th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Another suggestion - if your hair isn't getting clean enough and you want to try getting it more on the roots and scalp, try parting your hair with a comb in the shower and distributing the shampoo directly onto your scalp and the hair nearby. Part it in several places and reapply, then massage in.

That's what I do when I borax, plus adding a few drops of peppermint essential oil, and it really helps to get my scalp clean without affecting my length too much.

MsBubbles
January 5th, 2010, 10:54 AM
To add to the ever-growing list of questions of things it 'could be'...:)...are you using any new moisturizers on your forehead?

Otherwise for me, an oily scalp is the norm and every other day washes are as long as I am willing to stretch it. The second 24 hours is nothing but grease. And brushing or combing it to 'distribute it' doesn't work at all.

What makes mine look greasy immediately after washing is rainwater or other humidity/precipitation (fog, snow, etc.). If I get rainwater directly on my hair it's a greasy mess no matter how freshly washed.

Anje
January 5th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Just tossing out there that my hair normally gets considerably oilier each winter. For me, that means that I need to wash it every 2-3 days (depending on how lazy/tolerant of oily hair I feel) in the winter, even though I can space washings a week apart in the summer and probably longer if I didn't usually end up in a lake weekly.

Also, have you been wearing a hat more recently? Such as for going outside in the cold? Could be that it's making your head sweat or get more oily for some reason.

Ursula
January 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM
This shampoo im using is the same thing ive used. I havent changed and when i do change i go back and forth between white rain ( i know not the best) and this stuff. It cant be that. As for not washing or rinsing enough thats not it either. I wash it by turning upside down and making sure it has been washed really good. When i was young i had very greasy hair and i SO didnt want to have that again. The rinse part, I stand in under the water till it runs clear and i also turn over to make sure ive gotten everything out.

Everything i have read, i guess i just have to buck up and hit the doc. Oh well thanks for all the sugestions though.

There is nothing particularly wrong with White Rain products. Many people here use inexpensive products like White Rain, Suave, or VO5 exclusively.

What is the product that you're now using? And how does the ingredient list compare to the White Rain variety that you were using?

My suggestion, to start, would be to switch back to the White Rain (since you've used it successfully in the past) and stick with that for a couple of weeks.

You might also try brushing with a boar bristle brush, to spread the oil through the length of your hair. That can have a good conditioning effect as well as help make the oil less noticeable.

If you're wearing a winter hat, you might need to wash it. It could be that oil from the hat is transferring back to your hair.

motormuffin
January 5th, 2010, 11:26 AM
It could be hormonal or even vitamin related. I know most of us go on a bender and eat bad stuff during the holidays. Maybe try some B vits. Read about riboflavin and oily hair. Are you drinking enough water? Anything else change?

spidermom
January 5th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I wanted to add that my hair/scalp does wonky things from time to time, too. For example - most of the time my sebum is more like oil, other times it's more like wax. It's harder to get and keep my hair/scalp clean when it decides to go waxy on me. I think there must be a dietary link, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Gladtobemom
January 5th, 2010, 12:39 PM
It sounds to me that you need to learn how to DISTRIBUTE the oil. You have more sebum released at the crown and at the temples.

I find that if brushing with a Boar Bristle brush doesn't really liven my hair, then I need to backtrack. Here are things that affect my hair's ability to shine and bounce with the addition of oil:

1) minerals
mineral buildup seems to make it so my "newest" hair, the most obvious of which is on top of my head, absorbs oil, but the rest of it doesn't. Mineral buildup is hard to get rid of. It comes from hard water, products, and can be compounded with products.

Solution is a Chelating Shampoo. This is NOT a shampoo that you use often. I've been working on the same bottle for the last 4 years.

These two chelating shampoos will clarify your hair of any product buildup and they will get rid of a significant amount of the mineral buildup. The problem is that the mineral salts actually make crystals that incorporate the fluffed up cuticle of your hair . . . it can't all be removed, even in two or three washes.

It's BETTER to try not to get the buildup in the first place, which usually just means rinsing with some distilled water at the end of your wash if your water has a lot of disolved minerals.

ALWAYS follow a chelating shampoo with a Cationic corrector. You can buy one . . . or you can mix 3 tablespoons of white vinegar with a quart of distilled water and rinse it throuh your hair. Let it get wet all over and leave it for just a minute. (an alternateive is 1/2 tsp citric acid with a quart of water and a big splodge of conditioner mixed). Your cuticle has been left incredbly roughed up by the chelating shampoo . . . you need to get it to flatten back down again, this will do it.

Without rinsing it out, work in and comb your hair with non-silicone conditioner from the ears down. (Suave Coconut, VO5, Biolage conditioning Balm) Then start combing your whole head to distribute a little higher up (not much).

Let it stay on a few minutes, rinse.

2)product buildup
This just means you need to clarify, I use Kenra Clarifying, but most clarifying shampoos work fine. Just remember to use a vinegar or acidified rinse/condish afterwards.

3)Rebounding
This is the MOST common thing that people here seem to find amazing.

Your skin, all over your body, has an acid mantle, which is a thin coating of oil that has a pH of about 5.5-6. (7 is neutral).

Most shampoos are alkaline, most conditioners are a little acidic. Often, people want to minimize the conditioner against their scalp to stop the "over conditioned" look. In reality, they are leaving the skin of their scalped, striped of the natural acid mantle and seriously high pH. So the oil glands actually react by producing MORE oil faster.

The solution . . . use a shampoo that doesn't strip the acid mantle as much (Queene Helene Mint Julep is one and it's cheap, it comes in a concentrate that mixes a gallon for about $4). Or, repair it with an acid rinse. Make sure that the acid rinse reaches the scalp. The pH will keep the oil glands from going into overdrive. Comb it through the length to help smooth the cuticle. Apply conditioner more sparingly at first.

THEN FORCE YOURSELF to go several days without washing. You can use a BBB to distrubute oils too.

This WORKS.

Take a look at this thread:
Stuff I do without even thinking, Gladtobemom on Build-up and Clarifying. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15746)

florenonite
January 5th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Back when I was a newbie here, I was working at a swimming pool. I was washing my hair at least once a day (ordinarily I wash at most every other day) because of the chlorine, and after a while I found that the crown of my head was perpetually greasy. The conclusion I came to was that it was because my hair was getting so dry my scalp was producing more oil to compensate. Is the weather really dry right now? Do you have vent heating? Are you drinking enough water? All these things could make your scalp dry and, as a result, produce more oil.

One of the suggestions I received was that my hair just might need clarifying, as this is a sign of build-up. Do you use silicones in your shampoo or conditioner? These often cause build-up.

I've been having this problem again recently, but for an entirely different reason. When I put my hair up to dry it tends to get really greasy, I think it's because it takes so long to dry. Lately, although I haven't been putting my hair up, because it's cold, damp and my hair's longer and thick, it's been taking ages to dry, and the crown is the bit that seems to dry last. So if your hair takes a long time to dry that could be a contributing factor. You could try just blow-drying the roots, or parting it to allow it to dry better.

Gypsy069
January 5th, 2010, 07:54 PM
WOW thanks everyone. You have made me cry with the support i am getting with this. I am on my way out the door to go get clarifying shampoo. Other wise everything else i have tryed. OMG thank you so much for all this. i feel so welcomed and loved =) Wish me luck =)

Ursula
January 5th, 2010, 08:03 PM
One thing to note, you've gotten a lot of different, and sometimes contradictory, advice in this thread. Happens all the time, as different people have different scalps and different hairs, and the range of "what works" is huge.

You may be tempted to run off and try everything at once. I suggest that you avoid that temptation. Too many experiments too fast tend to leave one confused about the effect of each experiment.

You may want to look at the article "Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice" which I wrote, and which is in the "Articles" section here. It is mostly about planning and pacing experiments so you don't get either confused or poor (from buying everything suggested.) Many people have said they found this advice useful.

There is a link to the article in my sig, as well.

Luckysock
January 5th, 2010, 08:12 PM
This might sound counter intuitive, but have you tried not shampooing for a couple days :S I say this because I have a greasy scalp too, and although it was tough, cutting down on shampooing has actually helped my scalp to ease up on its oil production.

I know it tough, and it feels gross, but try slowly cutting down on your shampooing, i've slowly moved from shampooing every day to every third day, and I have noticed that my hair is less greasy on day three now, than it used to be after just half a day.

Aside from that - with such a sudden change, have you made any changes to your diet?

I hope you find something that works for you hun, don't distress, you will find a solution :)

Gypsy069
January 5th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Well i did go buy it and used it.BOY the bottom of my hair feels GREAT the top how ever still greasy but i can tell you not as bad. I hope this does work. =) Thank you everyone from the bottom of my little heart =)

Gypsy069
January 8th, 2010, 04:06 PM
:D:D:D:D:D Ok If i could i would buy EVERYONE of you a rose to show you how much you have helped me. My hair (only after 2 washes) is back to being my normal beautiful hair. THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO much from the bottom of my heart =) I love you all!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

marikamt
January 8th, 2010, 04:34 PM
AWESOME!! So happy for you.... :blossom:

SpinDance
January 8th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Wonderful news! Glad you found what worked.

Gypsy069
January 8th, 2010, 05:51 PM
What worked: (sorry) I went and got the Swave Clarifying shampoo and cont. Im just so happy i can put my hair down again like i love to have it.

LadyJennifer
January 8th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Yay! so it was just build-up after all?

Gypsy069
January 8th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I really don't know. Like i said i don't use anything in my hair but to wash it. But i was told that can cause build up too by one of you. Right now i'm gonna stick to this shampoo cause i REALLY don't want to have to deal with that again.

plainjanegirl
January 8th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Be careful though with using a clarifying shampoo so often cause it will dry your hair out really fast !!!

Gypsy069
January 8th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I've always had VERY oily hair. So i figured a few more washes just to make sure I'm back to me wouldn't hurt. Then I'll try my old stuff and see if I'm Ok again =)

SpinDance
January 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I know we need to be careful and not change too many things at a time, but I've always been afraid of clarifying shampoos. Instead I've followed advice I got long ago and just switch around between a few different shampoos/conditioners that make my hair feel good. I've read of some who carefully switch every so many months, but I've had good success with fairly randomly using my different ones as I feel based on how my hair felt before wash day. Sometimes I'll use the same ones a couple times in a row, but often not.

Because the formulations are different I haven't noticed any signs of build up, although I do sometimes have to adjust amounts based on how my hair feels as I'm washing/conditioning, and how much and what sorts of leave-in I use.

formunkyfrommom
January 8th, 2010, 08:59 PM
i have to double shampoo my scalp to get the sebum and grease out....my hair just naturally produces it like my face is naturally more oily than other ladies, i also use a clarifying wash every second wash and that helps alot....also if you over shampoo your hair or use oil stripping products it will cause your scalp to over produce oil and sebum as natural protection of the hair

Vianka
January 8th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I'm sorry you're having problems with your hair. I have somewhat the same problem. I have oily skin and the only solution for me is to wash every day and to not use conditioners that are too oily. The bodifying shampoos and conditioners seem to work a little better for me. I sometimes take my shower at night, but then I stopped because by the end of the day my bangs look wet with oil.

I use "Clean and Clear" oil blotters throughout the day on my face, but that doesn't help with the scalp. I have an excellent diet low in fat and sugar and I drink herbal tea throughout the day, so I know it's not because I'm eating greasy foods.

Heheh, I just read through the rest of the posts and realize you said that your hair got better after clarifying. Maybe I will try that at least once per month and see if it helps me. Glad your hair is behaving now :-D

violeteyes
January 8th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I have always had greasy hair, but sometimes the problem gets worse randomly.- I'll be watching this thread! I can't figure out what it is!

tralalalara
January 8th, 2010, 11:27 PM
There was a time during adolescence when this happened to me, and my dad gave me this liquid soap in an unmarked bottle. It was white, not clear like most clarifying shampoos, and he said it would balance things out and could be used for skin or hair.
Could that be the ph balancing product thing?

teela1978
January 8th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I've always had VERY oily hair. So i figured a few more washes just to make sure I'm back to me wouldn't hurt. Then I'll try my old stuff and see if I'm Ok again =)

I wouldn't worry about over-using the suave clarifying, particularly if you usually use a shampoo with a sulfate-based cleanser (ammonium lauryl sulfate or sodium laurel (or laureth) sulfate. I've used it daily in the past with no problems.