PDA

View Full Version : Protein treatments & dryness traitors

Eirinn
April 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Ok, so first I wanted to thank those of you, who helped me understand the protein issue:flowers: My hair was recently breaking and falling out quite a bit and though everything has just got back to normal I still have some questions (what would I do without your wisdom!). What is the best way to add protein to my hair? Egg yolks, mayo, soya treatments? Or just condishes with *hydrolized anything*?

Another bothering me question is: does hair always reacts visibly when its dried-out? Some people say that the dryness and demage can be hidden like by 'cones or mineral oil. I've just got my leave-in with paraffinum liquidum and it's soo moistuirizing... Is it possible to be "cheating" on my hair?:confused:

Sorry for being chaotic

Flaxen
April 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM
As for the protein, go with the conditioners with hydrolyzed anything. The protein molecules in food products are too large to penetrate hair, and they (the foods) are very weak protein treatments. If you go to someplace like Sally's, look for products that are labeled as reconstructors.

In my experience, you won't really know if your leave-in is truly moisturizing until you stop it. If your hair is drier than before, you'll know that the product was doing more harm than good.

Eirinn
April 28th, 2008, 04:52 AM

But is it true with mineral oil suffocating hair? How hair can be suffocated if it's not alive?:confused: Isn't it the same as to say "Stop using the nail enamel cause you suffocate your nails"? I'm quite confused with this:shrug:

lora410
April 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM

But is it true with mineral oil suffocating hair? How hair can be suffocated if it's not alive?:confused: Isn't it the same as to say "Stop using the nail enamel cause you suffocate your nails"? I'm quite confused with this:shrug:

I think it stops the oxygen from getting into the scalp. Don't quote me on this though :)

Flaxen
April 28th, 2008, 08:31 PM

But is it true with mineral oil suffocating hair? How hair can be suffocated if it's not alive?:confused:
I agree that the suffocating comment refers to the scalp. Mineral oil is often comedogenic, but there is supposed to be a new cosmetic grade that is not.
ETA: Unless they are referring to mineral oil blocking moisture, maybe? :shrug:

Isn't it the same as to say "Stop using the nail enamel cause you suffocate your nails"?
Actually, no. Oxygen passes through the nails to the live tissue bed underneath, so it is possible to suffocate your nails.