PDA

View Full Version : long face?

ShadowSwallow
April 27th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Yesterday I was at a dance with my hair in an updo and realized that I really didn't like how my face looked. I have the "typical" rectangular face--long, thin-er, and squared off.

Any advice for ways to combat this? I would go with bangs but I have greasy, acne-prone skin. Maybe face-framing layers?

Suggestions? :shrug:

nomadhome
April 27th, 2008, 12:44 PM
My face is not really rectangular, but it is kind of long and narrow. I like my face framing layers, but I also like the shape of my face (most days) ;)

Unofficial_Rose
April 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Not sure - except side parting may de-emphasise and not scraping hair back? Volume at the sides?

By the way, my face is fairly long too. I think this face shape is very flattered by updo's. :)

AutumnLeaves
April 27th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I was once told I had a coffin-shaped face! Oblong, in other words, but still...that one hurt! Anyway, despite all beauty secrets tips to the contrary, I think I do look better with my hair long, and most especially if I pull the sides up and back. I also think I look better with bangs because it does hide some of my face length. Granted, I do get compliments when my hair is short, but I get more when it is long and pulled up.

Really, it is just how you feel most comfortable with yourself and the way you best like your hair. I wouldn't worry at all about what others think! Just be you! I am sure you and your hair are lovely!

granitbaby
April 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I think my face is shaped similar to yours and I find up dos with volume on the sides is most flattering. Face framing layers might work but layers are evil (my very personal opinion);)

Anje
April 27th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Volume on the sides helps a lot. Try things like two french braids instead of one (you can always join the braids so you don't have pigtails), and so on. Long faces can be elegant, though, especially if your choice is long vs. wide. (No offense to those with wide faces around here. I have one, too.) Ultimately, there's a lot to be said for learning to like how your look and work with it instead of fighting it or hating it.

karenpetal
April 27th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Hey ShadowSwallow - one of the ways to avoid the log face prominent is avoiding styles with hair pulled slick back - face framing layers definitely make your face look less longer but I regretted getting layers ... hope this helps

ShadowSwallow
April 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice! :D And thanks for the encouragement, Sherry. :) Normally I like the shape of my face, but then there are those days... it's nice to have different updos in mind for then. :) Here are two pictures of my face; my glasses "fix" the complains I have with my face... but I like the freedom of wearing contacts. :p

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=10464&albumid=945&dl=1209336569&thumb=1 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=10465&albumid=945&dl=1209336569&thumb=1

Sillage
April 27th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Volume, volume, volume! I love my mini Maximas for arranging my hair to have more volume around the front. You could do layers and bangs but I would experiment with hair pins and things before you cut. (because growing them out is a PITA)

Tangles
April 27th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I have a long face also, though when I weigh a bit more it's almost an oval. I find that I look much better with wavy hair than with stick straight hair and with just a few wispy layers hitting the collarbone. Also, pulling out wispy layers makes any updo more palatable to me.

I think the myth that long hair makes long faces look longer isn't really true. Once your hair is very long, your face might actually look shorter in proportion. I think the worst lengths for long faces are those a few inches below the shoulders--the same lengths that flatter round faces, incidentally.

Tangles
April 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Oh, and have you ever noticed that when people say celebs like Jennifer Aniston or Gwyneth Paltrow have hairstyles that drag their faces down, they point to photos where they have stick straight, completely limp hair?

Straightened hair with no volume is MUCH worse for long faces than length per se.

amaiaisabella
April 27th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I like a sideswept bang, not like you're thinking with it across the face, but maybe just a long layer cut in? I have a high forehead and long straight hair that tends to drag me down, but I did the sideswept bang before I embraced full bangs. I just hate having a huge, plain forehead :(