PDA

View Full Version : Condition dry hair

PhillyGirl1978@
April 27th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I am posting this on all the hair boards I am on. What do you guys think of conditioner on dry hair? Does it absorb more efficiently or something if you put it on dry hair?

Awalia
April 27th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Do you mean by applying it to dry hair and then wash it away, or just leaving it there? I have done the last one and i liked the result :)

PhillyGirl1978@
April 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I mean like if I was gonna do a DT and I just put the mixture on dry hair and and leaving it on a bit before washing it out.

Carolyn
April 27th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I do my long CO soaks starting with dry hair. I never wet it first. If I'm doing a DT I do that on dry hair too. I don't want to be dripping all over the place. I don't know about it absorbing better or not. I just think it's more convenient to do it on dry hair.

Firefly
April 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I've done DTs with conditioner on dry hair and find it works quite well. There is something about saturating my dry hair with the conditioner that makes me feel like it's really "penetrating", whether or not it actually is. :D

Firefly

Melisande
April 27th, 2008, 02:02 PM
At least once a week, I mix my favorite conditioner with oil and put it on my dry ends. I leave it on for several hours, sometimes over night.

I feel my dry hair is really soaking this up. With oil even better than without. But I tweak my routine all the time. I'll try again without oil to see what the different conditioners do on dry hair.

lookingglass
April 27th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Whenever I put a tx on dry hair, it seems not to "stick" to it at all; I don't like it.

mommy2one05
April 28th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I was thinking of putting a conditioner on my hair and leaving in overnight since a hairdresser recently recommended this but she did not specify on wet or dry hair and do you put it all over or just on the length and not the scalp?

chrissy-b
April 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I often mist my hair a bit before doing a DT. Doing it on slightly wet hair allows me to finger comb the conditioner through and fully saturate it without the conditioner dripping all over the place.

aglaiah
April 28th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I think its better to wet it with some half warm/warm water to make the hair shafts stand wide open, then put the conditioner on it so it draws in the hair.

amaiaisabella
April 28th, 2008, 01:55 PM
One of the posters on here told me that if you CO on dry hair, it will clean better. I have found this to be true :)

Firefly
April 28th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I was thinking of putting a conditioner on my hair and leaving in overnight since a hairdresser recently recommended this but she did not specify on wet or dry hair and do you put it all over or just on the length and not the scalp?

For me personally, I like doing it on dry hair-- slathering it with the conditioner until it is saturated. I usually do the entire length and scalp, but I'm sure you could just do the length if you wanted. :)

Firefly

nappywomyn
April 28th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I LOVE doing conditioning treatments on dry hair.

My logic - right or wrong - is this.

Hair has a certain 'limit' as to how much it can absorb - think of it as a sponge. If you start with wet hair, part of it's 'absorbent capability' is occupied by water. If you start with dry hair, though, it's fully absorbing the treatment to it's maximum 'absorbent capability' - thus, ending up with a better/more through treatment.

I could be TOTALLY wrong though, but I love doing treatments on dry hair. Sometimes I'll water down the conditioner a tiny bit if it's super thick, so that it'll 'spread' in my hair easier, but otherwise - I use it straight.

mommy2one05
April 28th, 2008, 02:54 PM
thanks! I am definately gonna have to make this a part of my routine for my hair. The hair dresser recommended that I do it once a week at least until my hair is more moisturized. Maybe I can use a cheapie conditioner since it will probably take alot.

asantegold
April 28th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I've tried this a couple of times and haven't had drastically better results. I'd have to try a few more times in order to be sure though.