PDA

View Full Version : Hair Thin In Front

UP Lisa
January 4th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Does anyone else have hair that is thin in the front and on the sides? Mine covers my scalp, Thank God, but it is thin and so baby fine. I would like to have bangs, but when I do, they are so thin and fine that they clump together and look awful unless I comb them every 5 minutes. I have grown them out, but they have never gotten much beyond chin length, so only stay in a high style.

I know. I just have to live with it.

Lisa

krn2891
January 4th, 2010, 11:17 AM
My hair is the same way. I have really thick hair in the back at the crown but my side hair is thin. It also creates natural layers that I can do nothing about because they will not grow longer then shoulder length. I have just trained them to go back into my styls and for the most part they will lay down back over my head regardless of where the style is placed.

piratejenny23
January 4th, 2010, 12:05 PM
i have the same thing! i would have to use all my hair from my ears forward to get decent bangs...not that i want bangs anymore, but i also have to use a lot of hair to do a half-up, which leaves the bottom layer looking a bit straggly.

i have been having great results using castor oil to get thicker eyelashes--and by thicker, i mean 2 or 3 layers of new growth, not just individual lashes getting thicker. i'm too lazy to put oil on my scalp regularly, but i have read that castor oil does help with new growth. for example, if the hair at your part or temples was getting thin, castor oil would help. my hypothesis is that it stimulates inactive or clogged follicles to start growing again; it's not like you could put it on an area without follicles and get new hair!

UP Lisa
January 4th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I don't think mine has thinned. I think it's always been this way. One thing I hate about it is that my hair lays so flat to my head with updos.

jivete
January 4th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Mine is like this. I always have side layers and you can usually see scalp at the sides of my head when I do updos, especially on slightly oily hair.

It bugs my, but there's not much I can do.:shrug:

But...at least I like face framing layers since I'm forced to have them. :D

Babyfine
January 4th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Mine, too-I can't have bangs either for that reason. Well, I could, but I have to cut a lot to get them to look decent.

Unofficial_Rose
January 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Me too! back = thick and resilient, sides and front = fragile and wispy.

Actually when my hair was at it's longest (BSL) I don't think the sides/front ever got past my shoulders. :(

Not sure what can be done except to avoid weakening them with styling?

I swear the back grows faster, too.

piratejenny23
January 4th, 2010, 07:28 PM
i was kinda running late for work when i first posted...
i didn't mean to imply that anyone's hair was thinning, but i also didn't want to sound like castor oil is some kinda miracle-gro for hair!

however, i have definitely had lots of new growth with my eyelashes; i have even had to pluck a few because they were growing way above or way below my "normal" lashline. and it's not that my eyelashes have thinned recently, they've just always been like this.

also, i've read that castor oil extends the "life span" of each individual hair. so say an eyelash would normally fall out after 2 weeks, and castor oil helps it stay in for 3 weeks, then the terminal length will be longer! so it might be worth a try on those thinner areas--diluted! it is notoriously thick & difficult to wash out.

here's a thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265

personally i think i have a circle of thinner hair, all along my hairline; my nape hair is very thin too, and shorter and more prone to split ends. a reverse tonsure! :p

lol...i think i just talked myself into trying a scalp application!

Sister13
January 4th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Have you guys tried:

1. looser updos

2. satin or silk sleep caps or pillow?

I had a physician in Cali suggest my hair was thinning in front on one side & I got all offended. I had sparseness at the hairline and nape. But he was right. I found my way here. Stopped the tight buns, sleep on satin pillowcase. Monistat & oil on scalp occasionally. Scritch & massage. CO.

Not that this your cause but I feel your pain.

I'm on the road to recovery . . .

MsBubbles
January 4th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Looser updos...hmmm. In theory that would be a great idea! In my reality, however, with flat grease-prone hair there is zero pouff and zero body. The only thing looser updos do is pull my hair at my scalp! Ouch.

Once I tried that fake height at the crown thing by twisting, pushing and bobby-pinning it. By lunch time it looked like a bad Donald-Trump comb-over job :o. So I'm going straight for the gollum look from now on in updos.

Bits of my scalp (the widows-peaky bit) show through also when I have my hair up. And I also have stringy bangs unless they're mullet-thick, so I know where you all are coming from.

Pointless post other than to commiserate! Sorry! I am trying to appreciate what I've got though (you can tell, can't you!).

RocketDog
January 4th, 2010, 10:58 PM
My hair is the same way - my hair is thickest at my crown, and thinner all around my hairline. Makes for unattractive 'cleavage' when my hair is dirty, even more when I have a few weeks' regrowth! I just deal with it, since it's been this way since I was a child and I don't expect any supplement or salve or care practice to change my genetics :P

HildeMV
January 4th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure, but i think it's less healthy than the hair in the back

UP Lisa
January 5th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I've tried looser updos, too. Can't seem to make it work. I do use satin pillowcases. Have used them for at least 5 years.

Lioness
January 5th, 2010, 06:42 AM
I don't think a looser updo would solve the problem for everyone. I suspect thinning hair because of tight updos wouldn't have the common thin-in-front-and-thick-in-back pattern but more a small circular pattern starting at the hairline (i hope this makes sense, its kinda hard to explain).
And just to be clear: i do not mean to say that ALL people who have a circular thinning pattern have thin hair because of thight updos.

The causes of thinning hair in my case are genes and to much blowdrying in the past. I also have thin hair in the front and think in the back.
And that castor oil does sound great. Who knows it might even help those 1inch babyhairs i have at my forehead to start growing

bumblebums
January 5th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I have always had more breakage on my temples and around the forehead, which I assume is because the individual hairs are thinner and more fragile there. They also seem to have really short terminal length.

If you have any thickness to spare, I would suggest some layering or bangs in the front. I don't like the look on myself so I've given it up, but I did notice that when I kept the front layers shorter, the front seemed thicker, and there was less of a difference in thickness between front and back. When you don't ask those front hairs to grow as long as the rest of the hair, they do better.

UP Lisa
January 5th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I thought somebody meant that wearing updos looser would give the look of more thickness. It could, but doesn't seem to work on me.

Fiferstone
January 5th, 2010, 08:15 AM
:waves: I've got the thin hairline issue too. It's definitely genetic. My mom has this, and I'm seeing it in myself, the encouraging thing for me is that there are a LOT of baby-fine new hairs (half-inch in length or so), so perhaps it's filling back in. It's not hugely noticeable, but I definitely notice it, and I'm trying to change up the updos every day to avoid repetitive stress and traction alopecia.

Amara
January 5th, 2010, 10:23 AM
My hair is also much thinner on the sides near the front. Unless it's freshly washed and fluffy it's easy to get peeking scalp. I don't feel that my updoes are too tight, and I also think that it's always been this way? I am growing my bangs out so there's that awkwardness too. :p I feel you.

StellaReade
January 5th, 2010, 10:50 AM
WOW, so I'm not the only one! I too have this problem. In fact, one of the sides is thin enought that whatever I do, my ear shows through it, and my ears do not stick out. And if I part it on the opposite side to comb the thicker side hair over towards it...BOTH my ears stick out. Yet the back is much fuller. I noticed when my daughter's hair was growing in as a baby, it did the same thing...the hair around the back was thick and the hair in front and on the sides was much thinner. You can't tell now because she has much thicker hair than I do, but she still has the same pattern that I do. And it's been like this my whole life.

sibylla
January 5th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I strongly believe that brushing helps promote good growing and scalp massaging also. I think that using a toothbrush on the thinner places will make the hair grow faster and thicker. I have no scientific proof for this other than my own experince. Starting with brushing my hair with a BBB has made my hair much thicker.

Bonkers57
January 5th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I feel your pain! :cry: I actually look better with clumpy, stringy bangs than with no bangs at all - sad, huh? What helps me the most is parting the bangs a little off center, then pull a 1-1/2" curling iron through both sections, curling them under a bit. It makes them stick together a little better and gives them direction.

Does anyone else have hair that is thin in the front and on the sides? Mine covers my scalp, Thank God, but it is thin and so baby fine. I would like to have bangs, but when I do, they are so thin and fine that they clump together and look awful unless I comb them every 5 minutes. I have grown them out, but they have never gotten much beyond chin length, so only stay in a high style.

I know. I just have to live with it.

Lisa

Looser updos...hmmm. In theory that would be a great idea! In my reality, however, with flat grease-prone hair there is zero pouff and zero body. The only thing looser updos do is pull my hair at my scalp! Ouch.

Once I tried that fake height at the crown thing by twisting, pushing and bobby-pinning it. By lunch time it looked like a bad Donald-Trump comb-over job :o. So I'm going straight for the gollum look from now on in updos.

Bits of my scalp (the widows-peaky bit) show through also when I have my hair up. And I also have stringy bangs unless they're mullet-thick, so I know where you all are coming from.

Pointless post other than to commiserate! Sorry! I am trying to appreciate what I've got though (you can tell, can't you!).

UP Lisa
January 6th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Well, my Mother has a lot of hair in the front. Always wished I had inherited that.

cardamom
March 1st, 2010, 02:46 AM
pls check out if there is a hormonal imbalance.there is a male type of hair loss(which is acalled androgenic alopecia) which is more at the forehead and sides.i dont think it is a problem with sleep friction(forehead should have been spared then)

UP Lisa
March 1st, 2010, 06:38 AM
Thank you for bring that up. I hadn't been thinking of that having anything to do with it, but I suppose it could be. I think my hair has always been this way, but I guess I should check it out.

Arctic
March 1st, 2010, 06:41 AM
I have thinner hair on sides naturally too...

Demetrue
March 1st, 2010, 07:50 AM
I hate scalp cleavage!!! I have it in front AND in back - aaargh!!! For the front, I find that combing my hair into a side part when wet hides the thinning top part.

ChloeDharma
March 1st, 2010, 07:52 AM
I strongly believe that brushing helps promote good growing and scalp massaging also. I think that using a toothbrush on the thinner places will make the hair grow faster and thicker. I have no scientific proof for this other than my own experince. Starting with brushing my hair with a BBB has made my hair much thicker.

I started this thread a while ago, there is a link to a blog of a woman who had alot of success using brushing to increase the thickness of her hair. Personally i'm a big believer in scalp stimulation too.

I should use the castor oil, i do have some i just forget to use it. I also find that indian herbs help increase growth and thickness when used consistantly.

bahannas
March 1st, 2010, 06:03 PM
My hair is fairly coarse and strong in the back and on top, but the hair growing out of my temples is baby fine and fragile. It's worse on my right side because it's the 'thinner' side of my part, and there's also some leftover highlighting damage. I've been doing micro-mini trims - were talking less than the width of a grain of rice - every now and then on the bad side to see if it improves. :)

BlndeInDisguise
March 1st, 2010, 06:12 PM
My hair is the same way! I used to have zero volume, but COing has helped that a lot--now I sometimes have almost too much. :)

savannahfaery
January 23rd, 2018, 09:36 PM
I, too, want to have bangs, but my hair is incredibly thin. I don't care if my bangs are thin, I actually like that look, but I'm slightly concerned about how much hair I will have left on the sides of my head after I get them. :p Also, another thing is that my several~years grown out bangs are finally the same length as the rest of my hair! :hmm:

UP Lisa
January 24th, 2018, 10:03 AM
I, too, want to have bangs, but my hair is incredibly thin. I don't care if my bangs are thin, I actually like that look, but I'm slightly concerned about how much hair I will have left on the sides of my head after I get them. :p Also, another thing is that my several~years grown out bangs are finally the same length as the rest of my hair! :hmm:

I grew out my bangs and had them long for years because I thought it was such a pain to have them, but I finally got them back and I do prefer the way I look with bangs.

LizzyGrant
January 24th, 2018, 11:41 AM
My hair is similar. It's very frustrating to have a hair like this. I've tried to grow my bangs out for a long time but the hair in the front is so fragile and fine.. I know it will never be as long and thick as the rest of my hair. :shrug:
I like bangs, so I cut them back and got rid of that thin hair in the front. Now I have thick hair + bangs which is a much better style at least for me.

By the way I like the look of thin bangs. A lot more than very thick bangs. I've tried both. In my opinion thick bangs take too much volume from the rest of the hair and can look too heavy.
Thin and wispy bangs are much easier to style and hide. They are more volumious and less greasy than thick bangs, at least in my hair type. Also they are popular in South Korea at the moment, haha ;)