PDA

View Full Version : Question on Fringe/ Bangs.....

marikamt
January 4th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I have had bangs/ fringe on and off for as long as I can remember... I did try growing them out this past year, but did not like how I looked.

Here is my dilemma...... when I went to the salon regularly, they obviously cut and styled my fringe... anything from short to sideswept, etc. They always "went with" or matched the cut.

Now that I have been growing and have not been going to the salon, I have been cutting them myself. They are not terrible (in that they are not crooked or anything) but they are boring. I feel like I am not doing it right... maybe they need to be heavier? I probably erred on the side of caution as the first time I cut them in I messed up the side (cut over too far) and am growing that out.

So I have researched and think I like the "deep V" fringe .... is that how most people do it?? I don't want to mess up my hair, I know I want fringe , but I just don't like them the way they are........

I tried side swept, but again, it looked like I just forgot to trim them, not like they were "styled".....

help!

squidgetroo
January 4th, 2010, 10:10 AM
If it were me, I would go to the salon and have them cut into the shape/length that you want. It will be much easier afterwards for you to just trim them as needed without having an 'oops' (this has happened to me many, many times, sadly). Most places won't charge as much as a full haircut to do this...I've found most charge around $5 or so to do it.

Gypsygirl
January 4th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I have trimmed (as opposed to cut!) my own bangs a couple of times. My hairdresser usually gets a bit annoyed with me...but...I've done it. :)

I think the most important thing is to invest in a good pair of pointed, sharp scissors. Your bangs won't look "right" if you use sewing scissors or something like that. Make sure your hair is styled as you would normally wear it.
If your hair grows a certain direction, keep it that way!

Never cut your bangs wet... The water weighs it down and you'll end up cutting too much. From someone who knows... ;)

Gather your bangs, separating the front pieces you want to trim from the back and the sides. Make sure you're not grabbing any unnecessary pieces! Then comb your hair smooth, and using your index and middle fingers, pull your bangs gently and hold them at a slight distance from your face. Trim in upward snips, not straight across!

Hope that helps...

jivete
January 4th, 2010, 10:50 AM
If it were me, I would go to the salon and have them cut into the shape/length that you want. It will be much easier afterwards for you to just trim them as needed without having an 'oops' (this has happened to me many, many times, sadly). Most places won't charge as much as a full haircut to do this...I've found most charge around $5 or so to do it.

I'd do this too. In fact, here in a few months I plan on going in and having my bangs reshaped as well as my face framing layers shaped up.

Wind
January 4th, 2010, 11:04 AM
My hairsylist offers just a bang/fringe trim as well, which I get about once a month. I had a friend trim them up over the summer, but after a while they just didn't look professional, I guess, for lack of a better word. It only costs $5.00, and she doesn't expect a tip for that, takes 5-10 minutes. I love having this option!

Alexannee10
January 4th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I cut my bangs by myself. I have a side swept bangs, and this video (http://www.ehow.com/video_4404654_do-side-swept-bangs-womens.html) really helped :)