PDA

View Full Version : too old to start the Long hair quest again??

Lassie
January 4th, 2010, 04:53 AM
im 27 years old - and no i dont feel that i am 'old' but a comment from DF has got me wondering...

i started the long hair quest about 2.5 years ago, got to just below BSL, got extensions...ruined my hair, and started again at chin lenght, now at APL...

my ultimate goal is waist lenght with no layers..

i was telling DF about it and he said 'you're really a bit too old for that nonsense arnt you?, just have nice neat hair' (he does prefer shorter styles) he didnt mean it in a nasty way at all...just meant it in a 'isnt it too late in life to be bothering with that srt of hair growing stuff' i think he feels that long hair is for teenagers and young girls..

so it got me wondering...have i left it too late to dream of waist lenght beautiful locks??

when did you start your growing quest??

Iylivarae
January 4th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Nope, you're not late. In this forum, we have quite a lot of people who are older than 30 or 40 and let their hair grow. Long, silver hair is one of the most beautiful hairstyles :) (for me, that is).

If you want to do it, then just do it, and don't care about what the other people say...

I started my long-hair journey at 19.

florenonite
January 4th, 2010, 04:57 AM
As long as your hair's still growing you're not too old ;)

Honestwitness
January 4th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I'm 60 and I started my long-hair quest less than a year ago. I'm at APL now and I intend to go to terminal length.

Sammich
January 4th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Never too old to do anything. :) I personally think long silver/white hair is beautiful on older women... and I can't wait to be able to have that. :D

serious
January 4th, 2010, 05:08 AM
I am 48 and I don't feel old to have long hair!
I've started growing out my hair two years ago and don't plan to stop!

2peasinapod
January 4th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Definitely not too old! :)

Pumpkin
January 4th, 2010, 05:15 AM
The first question you should ask yourself is..."What do I want to do with my hair?" Then just do it. You are never too old for long hair. I will be 42 this year, and I really don't care if anyone thinks I am too old. Honey, I would wear myself out (mentally and financially) if I tried to look like what other people wanted me to look like. If you feel great, happy, beautiful, sexy, etc. with long hair...then grow it. Ok, off my soapbox. LOL

enfys
January 4th, 2010, 05:19 AM
No chance are you too old! Maybe if you were 95 looking to go from a pixie to knee length time would be against you, but you are fine in that respect!

Long hair can still be "neat" so your DF needn't worry. Get lots of inspiration from members albums and the articles section, there's something for every length.

nowxisxforever
January 4th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Absolutely not too old. You're never too old to start! :)
I started my quest at ~13. I'm 21 now.

myrrhmaiden
January 4th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Never too old.

Gypsygirl
January 4th, 2010, 05:40 AM
LOL I'm 38. Age is just a number, you know... ;)

Liss
January 4th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Never, never, never too old!

Save your long hair conversations for people who support your quest. As long as you continue to keep it in great condition, you will star to convert all the others as they see how fabulous you continue to look as your hair grows longer.

Libilou
January 4th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I'm 41 and I just decided I'm going for waist length.

A woman is never too old to grow her hair out.

Meni
January 4th, 2010, 06:05 AM
You are never too old to start growing your hair. But YOU have to decide what YOU want for yourself :)
I haven't had real short hair since I was about 6, but have been going from shoulderlength to APL and back again since I was 18. And now, in my 30's I am going for longer than I have ever had before :D

Just decide what you want, and go for it!

Addy
January 4th, 2010, 06:09 AM
What everyone else said! haha :D

Isa-belle
January 4th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Ditto to all that was said.

When I read this title I thought you'd be 60 or something (which to me is noway near "too old" anyway. No age is too old for anything). When did 27 start to be old? I'm 28 and still feel very young :flower:

Seriously, I think I have even more admiration and fascination for "older" women with long hair than younger women. Long silver hair is so amazingly gorgeous, and such a wonderful statement. For a woman, I find it's a way of saying you assert and embrace your right to be beautiful, to be woman, forever.

(ETA: No offence intended to our male members. I find a silvery mane equally beautiful in a man, for quite similar reasons :) just wanted to put a small point across to a fellow woman of about my age :flower: )

SHELIAANN1969
January 4th, 2010, 06:21 AM
You will only be too old, when you have ceased to breathe another day. :blossom:

linda g
January 4th, 2010, 06:34 AM
When I clicked on a thread with "too old" in the title, I certainly did not expect to see the tender young age of 27! :laugh:

I started growing my hair at the age of 45.

Age really should have no bearing on how you wear your hair.... it is entirely up to you to decide what makes you happiest.

It's another one of those silly "shoulds" that you can safely ignore.

BlackfootHair
January 4th, 2010, 06:43 AM
It's your head with your hair you have to wear 24/7, so make sure it's how you like it. Many people in my family really prefer my hair my natural color, but I love it black. (without whites!) So I do what I like. I have to see my hair every time I am infront of a mirror, and little white hairs poking through my natural medium brown would drive me insane! lol

Misha
January 4th, 2010, 07:14 AM
If only I had started growing my hair when I was as young as you, my gosh, it would be so long by now! At 38 I feel super growing out my hair, and I'll be thrilled to reach waist length this year.

Nope, you are definetly not too old. Grow to whatever goal you choose. There are many lovely styles which are tidy and beautiful. Happy growing!

Xandergrammy
January 4th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I started growing my hair from a "super pixie" when I was 40 years old. Your DBF is mistaken.
Happy growing to you!

P.S. And you can have "nice, neat hair" that happens to be long.

trolleypup
January 4th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I was in my mid-20s when I had my last haircut, no regrets...been at terminal for years now!

may1em
January 4th, 2010, 07:57 AM
No, you're not too old. I started growing on purpose at 23, and I'm 26 now, with waist-length hair and no plans to cut.

spidermom
January 4th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I was in my mid-40s before I developed the patience to let mine grow, and I have no intention of stopping at any point in the foreseeable future.

LawyerGirl
January 4th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Ouch, 27 old?? ;)

BTW one of the reasons I decided to grow is because long hair looks neater when put back than short hair. Just sayin!

Fiferstone
January 4th, 2010, 08:24 AM
So long as your hair is still growing, you're not too old :).

AmericanWoman
January 4th, 2010, 08:49 AM
LMAO. I decided at 48 I was growing to waist. I'm 53 now and my hair is hip length on the way to tailbone. I dare anyone to tell me I'm too old. 9they don't. they tell me they love my hair)

Babyfine
January 4th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I'm 53 also and also started my hair growing quest at around 47 when I cut to a chin length bob. I've had a few detours and I'm still only BSL, due to some cuts to get rid of highlight/dye damage, but I plan to try to get my hair to waistlength.

Spike
January 4th, 2010, 09:10 AM
The only way you can be "too old" for long hair . . . is in your own mind.

I go through cycles of long and short, and will probably continue to do so. And why not? It's my hair, and needs to please ME first and foremost.

practikalmagik
January 4th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Christ, life is too short to worry about if you're too old or young to do stuff. Just do it!

I know it's morbid but I like to think along the lines of "I could die tomorrow" so don't ever pass up something because of what someone else might think.

Anyway if you're old at 27, what about the next 50+ years you're likely to still have left?!

Nae
January 4th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I started at 33, you can do it! Why worry bout what some random guy says, society seems to think we women are "too old" once we hit about 23 for just about anything. I have one word for that notion. Bullhockey! Women can do what they want with their hair when they want to do it! It is all good.

Unzadi
January 4th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Got a pulse? You're the right age for whatever legnth hair you want. There are oodles of beautiful braids and updos that fit the "neat" request to a T - if neat is important to *you.* It's on your head, it should suit your preferences.

starlights
January 4th, 2010, 09:52 AM
im 29 this year... i dont think age has nothing to do with how you feel!! i feel like im 16... and if you want long hair, go for it!! dont spend your life wondering what if...

Ursula
January 4th, 2010, 10:03 AM
You're certainly not physically too old - as long as your health is good, your hair should still grow.

As for your significant other liking short styles, and specifically mentioning keeping it "neat", you might experiment with wearing your hair up, as that both keeps it tidy and gives visual cues similar to short hair (such as being able to see the line of your neck easily.) This may at least help you avoid complaints (if you want to) or give him a visual look that he likes (if you care about his opinion/reaction to your physical appearance.)

I'm not saying that you should wear your hair up to please him, any more than I'd say that you should cut your hair to please him. Your body, your choice, and you aren't here to decorate anyone's world, unless you specifically and freely decide that you care about pleasing that particular person.

I'm just saying that updos are a tool that can be used to negotiate your way around people who gripe about long hair.

frodolaughs
January 4th, 2010, 10:04 AM
27 is pretty young to be too old for anything. If you're aiming to be the next child prodigy then yeah, you've missed the boat. You're never too old to grow your hair if that's what you want to do. I'm 32, and 4 years ago--at 28-- I cut my hair to chin length. It's now at hip and growing.

squidgetroo
January 4th, 2010, 10:18 AM
You are NOT too old! In the end, it is your hair and you need to do what makes you happy. To heck with anyone who says different! :D Its all just a matter of personal preference.

I've had short hair since I was maybe 13. I kept it short through my 20's because it makes me look older (I look very young for my age and found it hard to be taken seriously because of that). Now, I just don't care what everyone else thinks. I want it long. I've already had several people tell me they like me better with short hair. And my mother complains all the time about my henna'd head; she thinks I should just keep my natural, mouse-brown/silver color. Too bad for them.

lora410
January 4th, 2010, 10:35 AM
You are never too old. I will be 29 next year and I started growing 2yrs ago :flower:

Kris Dove
January 4th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Since when was 27 considered old???! Like others have said already, I was expecting somebody a lot older to be the OP of this thread! I'm 29 coming up for 30 this year and still growing my hair.

marimara
January 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I never even considered I was too old to start growing long hair. I'm 32 and have on and off long hair (for me that means about BSL). I cut off 11" last year and want it back again so I decided to start growing again. The things is though, it took me 32 years (ok really since I was a teenager since my mom wouldn't let us have real long hair) to find out that there is more than one way to do a bun! I was always doing the cinnabun with a hair band!!! duh!!! I've always cut my hair off in frustration of not knowing what else to do with it, or I was tired of breaking cheapo hair toys, not knowing that they actually make quality stuff for people with long thick hair!!!

But actually, I did think, "man if I want long hair I better get serious about growing this year since I don't know how long my hair will grow fast for, being that I'm 32 and all" .

I like to see healthy long hair on women of every age :love:

gnegirl
January 4th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Nope, not too old! I started growing out my obligatory in-your-40's 'soccer mom bob' last year and am not looking back :)

ArienEllariel
January 4th, 2010, 11:33 AM
wow. you're never too old to start growing your hair.

Pixna
January 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Huh? Say WHAT? I will be 56 in just a few days. I got the midlife pixie, and all I can say is BAH! I'm letting my hair grow as long as it can go. NO age is too old for long hair. Where do people get such nonsense (especially for someone who is only in her twenties)?!!

burns_erin
January 4th, 2010, 11:39 AM
People make these sorts of comments every day without really thinking about why they are making them. Feel free to grow as you wish, you are certainly not to old. However, be prepared to get an awful lot of comments to the contrary. One of the ones that ended up being most influential on me was "Your long hair is just not professional." I caved and chopped and kept the superstacked bob for a couple of years before deciding to grow out again.

Raponsje
January 4th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Of course you're not to old. And looking good is fine, but feeling beautiful is even better.

LittleOrca
January 4th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Just besure you are doing this for YOU and you will keep it because YOU WANT TO. I know that if I listened to everyone in my family that said "You should cut your hair" I would have chin length hair and not the lovely long hair that -I- love. It's your hair, your body, do with it what you wish. If you want long hair, grow it long, and we will all be here to support you when those ugly times in your life rear their heads and want you to chop it and to also celebrate the milestones you will come across. :)

redneckprincess
January 4th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Im 31 and almost 2 years into this hair growing stuff Im at APL right now as well, I think insted of looking at it as growing your hair, because hair will grow no matter how old you are, you could just look at it as not cutting it, your too old to worry about getting your hair cut all the time, lol..

bte
January 4th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Not too late! Look around you at this site and all the lovely waist and longer heads of hair on people of well over 27!

Good luck.

morningstar
January 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I was 39 when my husband died. I was too young to be a widow. At that time I had no dreams either. My life felt over including everything youthful.

Later I made it through the fog of grief and told my new bf that I always wanted long hair. He was supporting. THAT IS THE KEY AND THAT IS WHY WE HAVE BANDED HERE. I see that your bf does not care for long hair. Now I am not going to open up that whole can of worms :D The great debate to whether we want to please our mates or do our thing (hand on hips) is up to the individual. I can say that if my late husband was to see me now and I am certain he checks up on me from time to time is that he would laugh at all the changes.

I am not old, frumpy and done with. I love the color red (he hated anything red) and can wear it for clothes or my hair (with henna) I started growing at 42. I am now 45 1/2 and finally at waist. My family loves my hair. My mom even likes it...I think ;)
This is who I am. I will grow for a long time. I am not sure what my goals are. This is the best I have looked in years. I am not trendy, I am making up my style as I go along.

Coriander
January 4th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I'm 35 years old and my hair is nearing Classic length. I cut it (a LOT) when I joined the Navy, but started growing it back out almost immediately. I was ... 30 when I started growing it again. :)

If you want long hair, grow it. Who cares what society thinks? :D

Wind Dragon
January 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
39, from pixie. 44, from a bit below shoulder. :face:

Carolyn
January 4th, 2010, 01:33 PM
At 27 too old??? No way are you too old to do anything you want to do. Grow it long and enjoy it. Don't talk about hair stuff to DF. That's what LHC is for. His comments indicate he doesn't get the long hair thing. If growing your hair long makes you happy, do it. It can be a very rewarding experience.

Sherri
January 4th, 2010, 01:41 PM
You are not to old. Do what makes you happy.
I was around 30 when I seriously started trying to grow hair long.

camirra555
January 4th, 2010, 01:56 PM
You are definitely not too old! I say go for what makes you happy with yourself

saskia_madding
January 4th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I just stupidly layered my long hair and then chopped it off last year. I'm 30 and just starting again.

It is NEVER too late to go after anything you want.

QueenMadge
January 4th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Oh puhleeze, I am 46 and have done the cut it short, dye it to bits and grow it out since I was 16. I am currently almost bra-strap length and going for waist, with my natural color and wild curls. I don't think anyone is ever too old for long hair if that is what they want. My husband loves long hair but has never ever said that he should be the one who decides what I do with my hair. He wants me to be happy;-).

centurytoolate
January 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Dear Lord. I was 37 when I started growing my hair back long. I was highly insulted about three years ago when a "stylist"(professional jerk is more like it) told me I was too old to grow my hair out. By golly you're never too old to do what makes you happy.

Kirzja
January 4th, 2010, 02:51 PM
When I read the title of your thread, I was expecting a 70-year-old asking this, LOL.
You are definately not too old to grow your hair out.
I don't think there is such a thing as being too old for long hair.

You can put your hair in lots of stylish updos that are not childish at all.

I was 20 when I decided to grow my hair out and I'm now 22.

curlylocks85
January 4th, 2010, 03:00 PM
There is never an age limit on growing your hair long except when you are no longer breathing.

I was 20 when I started growing my hair out, I am now 24, and I intend to grow until I decide otherwise (if I decide otherwise).

What does age have to do with the length of one’s hair anyway?

Fractalsofhair
January 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM
You're never too old until you're dead, and even then, your hair will "grow" for a few more days(well, skin tightens and such. Not real growth, but it could look like it!)!

julliams
January 4th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I'm 36 and I'm going for waist again. Wear it well at any age. I just find that long hair looks best on me so I don't think it matters that I'm not 18.

jojo
January 4th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I must be ancient then at 40! as long as you have breath in your body your never too old to grow your hair!

faeflame
January 4th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I kept my hair bouncing around in the BSL to waist area all through my 20's and 30's. Then I realized I LOOOOVE long hair and don't care what anyone else thinks! Now I'm 43 and at tailbone--- you are never to old!

Juli414
January 4th, 2010, 04:56 PM
You're too young to think about spending the rest of your life with a male who considers anything of importance to you to be "silly".

Islandgrrl
January 4th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Hmmm..if you're too old, then I'm a freaking fossil.

It's YOUR hair. It should make YOU happy. If other people along the way like it, well...BONUS! But don't let anyone tell you you're too old for anything....or you will be.

Peter
January 4th, 2010, 06:00 PM
As long as your hair's still growing you're not too old ;)
Agreed! :)

Princess Kitti
January 4th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I must be ancient then at 40! as long as you have breath in your body your never too old to grow your hair!
Lol I was sitting here thinking the same thing, having turned 40 myself not long ago :) I started growing my hair at 39 and will continue to do so because I can!

Messyhair
January 4th, 2010, 07:03 PM
The first time, I started at 21 and grew it to my hips. Now I'm doing it again, starting at 30. You're never too old. THAT'S silly - haha!

CaityBear
January 4th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Never too old!

Personally, I'm only young now but I LOVE chin length hair as well as really long hair. I imagine I will cut my hair to chin length at some point when I'm older and start to grow my hair out again. And may repeat that many times over.

I don't think it matters much what age you are. If you want to, go for it!

Yozhik
January 4th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I only just started growing my hair out now, at 22, but that doesn't mean that if I like it, I won't keep it that way for a looooong time ;)
If you want to grow it out, go for it.

mimi1153
January 5th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I'm 56 and just started re-growing at 49 - - so -- no, you're not too old. I'm sure once you start growing he'll luv it!

Lassie
January 6th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Thank you ALL SO MUCH for the encouraging words..

I do feel much much better about 'growing'

i showed DF a couple of photos on the internet of long beautiful hair...and he commented that by the time mine is so long (waist is my goal) it wont 'suit' me to have it worn down and free flowing...(i dont know how long he thinks it will take me to grow it to waist...3-4 years at slow is my guees)

he has no appreciation for pretty updo's either...... (whats the point in having hair if you are just going to put it up?) im engaged to a lunatic...

blergh to him! its MY hair, i will do what I like with!!!! he doesnt have to be pleased with it (and i told him as much!)

punky
January 7th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Too old to wear long hair. Never!! I just turned 61 in Oct. and I'm growing my hair looong. It's past my shoulders now and also grey. So you go girl and don't let anyone stop you.:)

Aer
January 7th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Never too late!!!

feralnature
January 7th, 2010, 10:28 PM
OMG Lassie! I can't believe you even asked if we thought you were too old!

I am 53 and I am growing my hair long just like the girl-spirit inside me wants to. I am not doing this to please anyone other than myself. I do not ask permission nor do I seek approval from any man. I am seeking authenticity :)

Kelsey
January 7th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I would say definitely not too late. I don't ever think one can be too old. I plan to keep my hair very long till the end of time, and I'm even older! I think that you need to be your own person, so I'd encourage you to try the long hair thing. It is excellent!

LittleOrca
January 7th, 2010, 10:57 PM
blergh to him! its MY hair, i will do what I like with!!!! he doesnt have to be pleased with it (and i told him as much!)

THAT is the attitude you definitely need to have with your hair. :cheese: You will meet a lot of people in the world like your fiancé and you need to know to just rise above them and not let them pull you back down into their pit of Kate Gosselin cuts! (Even though she has extensions now, she will be forever remembered for her duck-butt reverse mullet).

Bekah
January 8th, 2010, 12:33 AM
im 27 years old - and no i dont feel that i am 'old' but a comment from DF has got me wondering...

i started the long hair quest about 2.5 years ago, got to just below BSL, got extensions...ruined my hair, and started again at chin lenght, now at APL...

my ultimate goal is waist lenght with no layers..

i was telling DF about it and he said 'you're really a bit too old for that nonsense arnt you?, just have nice neat hair' (he does prefer shorter styles) he didnt mean it in a nasty way at all...just meant it in a 'isnt it too late in life to be bothering with that srt of hair growing stuff' i think he feels that long hair is for teenagers and young girls..

so it got me wondering...have i left it too late to dream of waist lenght beautiful locks??

when did you start your growing quest??

I'm going to guess that you're more referring to long hair feeling a bit young in looks as opposed to "can it be done". I was in my early 20s when I ditched a lot of things that felt rather young to me. A childhood nickname. Living with my parents. Long hair.

I'd always bounced around between shoulder length and chin length hair- sometimes venturing down to brastrap mostly by accident. I "grew my hair out" for my wedding (at 23) from chin length to shoulder length. I grew it out from there due mostly to laziness until it was just past my brastrap. A lot of people commented that now that I was married and older maybe I should cut my hair and move on.

So I did. Bobbed it right back up to chin length, cut out all my old high lights and dye and felt no remorse. I like chin length hair. It's swingy and light and doesn't take much upkeep if I'm not changing colors. But I was again rather neglectful about maintaining the length and decided to just grow it out a little bit. That was in late 2006 (when I was 26). I've cut it a couple times since then but never more than an inch in a trim. It wasn't intentional growing out until I started getting compliments just past shoulder length. Turks out that it looked a lot nicer without being fried by bleach and dye and my natural color suits me reasonably well.

By the time I hit bra strap length again I decided to just keep going and see where it got me.

No one has suggested I cut it (outside of the casual "are you growing it out to donate" question) since that last big cut. It looks nice and no one cares if I'm 29 with waist length hair. Most of the time it's bunned or braided and the length is indeterminate. When it's down I get compliments about the length rather than comments on how age appropriate it is.

The closest thing to an age related comment I get is the curious question (rather than suggestion) I get every so often when people find out that my husband and I are trying to start a family. People ask if I think I'll have to cut it off when I'm trying to handle a baby. I reply that I babysit a set of triplets in the reaching and grabbing and chewing stage and if I can survive them (and the rather disgusting habit they have of gnawing on the ends of my braids when I'm not looking or pulling me by the braid to get my attention) 12 hours a week- I don't see any reason to believe that I'd have to cut it for one of my own.

You'll be fine.

Tovah
January 8th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Too old?
I thought that I was not old enough!

I cut my long hair when I was pregnant with my first child (he's 31 now) probably because of hormone craziness and never had it longer than shoulder length since. For the past several years I wore it in a bob because it was 'neat' and professional. I always felt that I wanted to be an old lady with a long white braid but didn't have a clue as to what my natural color was any more. After almost totally destroying it with dyes and blow drying every day this past summer, I decided that I was finally old enough to grow it long - I'm now 61. My husband loves it, my kids love it and I get compliments at work on my hair that I have never had in my life. Of course it's hardly long yet- just below collar bone, but I let the curls do their thing and the sparkles are over an inch long now. It appears that I have a lovely frame of white around my face and salt and pepper in the back. There are times that I am in the public eye and have to look 'businesslike' and I wear it up which is very neat.

I wish I had not listened to all those 'friends' and hairdressers when I was younger. So.....let it grow and grow and grow and don't look back. When I feel a bit insecure, as we all do on some days, I log on to the LHC and my resolve to grow my hair is strengthened by all the wonderful people here.

lucys
January 8th, 2010, 06:23 AM
You're only 27... you're not too old for *anything*. Apart from kiddie rides at fun fairs, maybe. :-)

I started growing mine (first time) at 29. Made it to BSL, got pregnant again, and like Tovah, lopped it off in a fit of hormone craziness. Now at the *ahem* grand old age of 33, I am starting again from chin. Just about brushing shoulder now, with a bit of wishful thinking, and heading for at least BSL, probably waist and if my daughter has her way, down to my elbows.

Never too old. Never say die. :-)

Fairlight63
January 8th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I will be 65 in Mar. & my hair is 27 1/2" (just below BSL). I don't dye it any more since growing it out almost 3 yrs. ago now.
I guess that I am an individualist, I looked around at the other older (60+) ladies & they all have hair cut short or & poodle perms & I DID NOT LIKE that look!

I wear my hair down once in a while when I go to church & I have gotten a couple compliments on it - they said that they think that I have the most beautiful hair that they have ever seen:cheese:

I have had short hair most of my life & it is a LOT more work having to curl it all the time. Or live in the beauty shop all the time getting it cut + the expense of cutting, curling & what ever. I WISH that there had been a LHC when I was younger for the support of growing out my hair. I had tried to grow it out long before but just didn't know how to take care of it, so it would get too much for me then I would get it cut off.
My husband likes short hair - but he is getting over it, haha. He doesn't say anything very often any more.

I remember a long time an older lady that went to our church, she had REAL long hair & she wore it in a braid wrapped around her head & I thought that she looked so "queenly" or something. Then I noticed not too long ago that she got her hair cut real short just like all the older ladies - she didn't stand out any more - she was just another old gray hair lady.

So, honey, you are not too old to grow long hair. Start now while you are young! I wish that I had!

kmoc123
January 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I will be 50 in June and my hair is tailbone length...I think that SHORT hair make you look old...look at Kate Gosslin and her hair. She looks so much better with it long. I also think that long hair is easier to keep. You don't have to wash it every day, you just put it up in a pony or braids, dns no more trips to get it trimmed every month or so. My goal is knee length...and as far as the silver strands, I let them grow. I have earned every one of them and I think they are lovely...

Kirzja
January 8th, 2010, 11:46 AM
A lot of women feel like they don't need to look good anymore once they got married.
They'll stop wairing make-up and pretty dresses, and they cut off their hair.
As if the only reason to look good is to attract men. :rolleyes:

And you are absolutely right about your fiancé... too bad if he doesn't like long hair. It's your hair, your choice. Go for it.

free_hug
January 8th, 2010, 08:28 PM
i found the original post so funny :D not in a mean way though. only because i'm 27 too, and i can easily get scared about 'getting old' too :) since now you really stop being young and silly, and start being, behaving like, taking responsibilities like etc. a real Big Person.

but for me LHC is really the place not to be worried about being old. here, i'm so much more worried about not having enough hair, or not strong enough, or not caring for it well enough :D since this place is full of ladies in their 50s or 60s who honestly have sooooo much prettier (and esp. longer) hair than i do!

wintersun99
January 9th, 2010, 01:11 AM

Belisarius
January 9th, 2010, 06:29 AM
i found the original post so funny :D not in a mean way though. only because i'm 27 too, and i can easily get scared about 'getting old' too :) since now you really stop being young and silly, and start being, behaving like, taking responsibilities like etc. a real Big Person.

but for me LHC is really the place not to be worried about being old. here, i'm so much more worried about not having enough hair, or not strong enough, or not caring for it well enough :D since this place is full of ladies in their 50s or 60s who honestly have sooooo much prettier (and esp. longer) hair than i do!
I thought it was funny too. You see, i started growing my hair at 27. Before that i had the standard short boycut.

Stacy_E
January 9th, 2010, 07:14 AM
One of the benefits of getting older is that I have become less concerned about what others think I should do about my personal appearance. I am in a loving relationship with my DH, but unfortunately he prefers the shoulder-length style I kept for years over the waist-length hair I keep now. I just figure this is something I want to do, something I can enjoy for myself, and to not expect or need him to adore my hair. He doesn't complain because he sees me enjoying it and knows it's important to me.

I started my hair growing journey from shoulder-length hair at 43 and now at 46 I have reached my goal of waist length hair. I'm enjoying my new waist-length hair, I've never had it this long before, and have no plans to go shorter any time soon.

linda g
January 9th, 2010, 07:32 AM
One of the benefits of getting older is that I have become less concerned about what others think I should do about my personal appearance. I am in a loving relationship with my DH, but unfortunately he prefers the shoulder-length style I kept for years over the waist-length hair I keep now. I just figure this is something I want to do, something I can enjoy for myself, and to not expect or need him to adore my hair. He doesn't complain because he sees me enjoying it and knows it's important to me.

I started my hair growing journey from shoulder-length hair at 43 and now at 46 I have reached my goal of waist length hair. I'm enjoying my new waist-length hair, I've never had it this long before, and have no plans to go shorter any time soon.

Stacy E , your hair is so beautiful in your signature pic!

Unofficial_Rose
January 9th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Thank you ALL SO MUCH for the encouraging words..

I do feel much much better about 'growing'

i showed DF a couple of photos on the internet of long beautiful hair...and he commented that by the time mine is so long (waist is my goal) it wont 'suit' me to have it worn down and free flowing...(i dont know how long he thinks it will take me to grow it to waist...3-4 years at slow is my guees)

he has no appreciation for pretty updo's either...... (whats the point in having hair if you are just going to put it up?) im engaged to a lunatic...

I'm not sure I like his attitude. :confused:

Stacy_E
January 9th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Stacy E , your hair is so beautiful in your signature pic!

Thank you!

Babyfine
January 9th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I will be 65 in Mar. & my hair is 27 1/2" (just below BSL). I don't dye it any more since growing it out almost 3 yrs. ago now.
I guess that I am an individualist, I looked around at the other older (60+) ladies & they all have hair cut short or & poodle perms & I DID NOT LIKE that look!

I wear my hair down once in a while when I go to church & I have gotten a couple compliments on it - they said that they think that I have the most beautiful hair that they have ever seen:cheese:

I have had short hair most of my life & it is a LOT more work having to curl it all the time. Or live in the beauty shop all the time getting it cut + the expense of cutting, curling & what ever. I WISH that there had been a LHC when I was younger for the support of growing out my hair. I had tried to grow it out long before but just didn't know how to take care of it, so it would get too much for me then I would get it cut off.
My husband likes short hair - but he is getting over it, haha. He doesn't say anything very often any more.

I remember a long time an older lady that went to our church, she had REAL long hair & she wore it in a braid wrapped around her head & I thought that she looked so "queenly" or something. Then I noticed not too long ago that she got her hair cut real short just like all the older ladies - she didn't stand out any more - she was just another old gray hair lady.

So, honey, you are not too old to grow long hair. Start now while you are young! I wish that I had!

I, too, wish there had been an LHC around when I was in my 20's and 30's-I always wanted long hair and tried to grow it out, but as a fine, fragile, wurly, didn't know how to take care of it and it would break off past SL and I would cut in frustration. I was also told my hair was too fine to be long.
I can grow my hair longer at 53 than I could at 23 due to better care!

Stormcast
January 9th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Not to old at all! Don't let anyone else influence your choices. Its for you to decide, and you only! :]

mowo
January 9th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Not to old at all! Don't let anyone else influence your choices. Its for you to decide, and you only! :]

Exactly. I agree with that.
But I must admit that when I have decided to start my long-hair quest, think for a short moment that maybe it's too late, maybe I'm too old. I have also 27 years old and now my hair are APL. But then I think that I can achieve what everything in my life. So if I want long hair I should have them, no matter what think other people. And who tell that in some age woman must have short hair? If she feels better in long hair then she should has long. ;)
My first goal is BSL and then waist length and no one will change my mind. :D So You shouldn't even think that You are too old for long hair quest. :eyebrows:

mowo
January 9th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I just have read what I have wrote :P Of course my actually length is to shoulder. I think about APL (maybe I should better write I am dreaming of about APL :D ). So I think about one thing, write second one. Hehhe ;-) Sorry for a little mess. I have hope that soon I will write that my hair are APL and it will he true ^_^.

Starr
January 9th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Your never too old to go after what you want. . .

Fiferstone
January 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM

This concerns me, seriously. Hair grows an average of a half-inch a month, so in theory if your growth is average, it'll take a year to add 6 inches. Most people don't add 6 inches of length in a year because of stalls, sheds, and trims. My guess is that you'll be at waist in 6-10 years at the outside, and 37 is no one's idea of old, at least no on this board, so far as I can tell.

What's the point of having short hair, if you can't do anything with it?

The point of having hair styled a particular way is that it pleases YOU to have it that way.

My concern is if he's being controlling about this aspect of your life, what else will he want to control (whom you associate with, for instance).

I just wonder about this guy. No offense, but be careful if you feel you have to defy him in order to do something that pleases you. Why can't he support you if he sees that this pleases you?

blondecat
January 10th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Nothing to really add, just wanted to lend Lassie my support and wish her well in her endeviour to grow her hair as long as she wishes it to be :)

I also want to add my hubby has Never commented either positively or negatively of my hair.

He just doesn't care.

He does help me to brush it or braid it if I ask him to.

CrisDee
January 10th, 2010, 07:16 AM
A lot of women feel like they don't need to look good anymore once they got married.
They'll stop wairing make-up and pretty dresses, and they cut off their hair...

And then what so often happens is the husband will then start running around with somebody who wears makeup and pretty dresses, and has long hair! :D

No such thing as too old to look pretty - and the most important thing you need to look pretty is to feel pretty - and if long hair (or short hair, for that matter) makes you feel pretty, it's a good thing at any age :)

Kelli Kat
January 10th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Never too old. I'm 46 (almost) and at mid-back length. I'm going to let it get as long as it can until I kick the bucket.

Stormy1
January 11th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Never too late!
I'm 37 and starting over.

Naters
January 12th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I agree with all these ladies! Your never too old to do anything! When i had my hair in a realy super short pixie cut, everyone discouraged me saying it would never grow back out again, and it would take years. THEY were wrong! It took only a year, and now im well on my way to having the long hair I've always wanted. We only have one llife to live, so do what makes you happy!! GO FOR IT!!

JamieLeigh
January 12th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I technically started my quest at age 10, but I've trimmed and cut a lot along the way. I made it nearly to knee at age 17. I'm not one of those who has a specific goal - I just meander along and trim it when it looks like it needs to be trimmed. I'd love to reach terminal one day, but I'll have to start loving my fairytale ends (the natural v-shape), and I'm just not there yet. Currently, I'm hanging out between classic and mid-thigh, trying to gain more thickness before heading downward. If I do. But I only found LHC in 2008, and I was 28 at that time. I don't think there's such a thing as being too old for long hair. Anyone who thinks there is an age limit on things like that probably wouldn't want me around, because I'd make fun of them. :)

Beesweet
January 12th, 2010, 09:35 AM
It was nice to take time to read this entire thread. I have basically been asking myself the same question, only I am 42. I did a big chop to rid myself of some henna that was getting too purple, and 2 1/2 years of growth was gone in 15 minutes. The red is gone, the chin bob is back, and I am going for it again. A lot of time wasted, I guess.

I have doubts about looking old while in the in-between stages, but who cares, really? Your face is your face and you are you -- at 27, 42, 5....beyond.

Lassie, you will be fine! Have fun growing it. Although my husband is very patient and sweet with my obsessions, and he dutifully measured my hair, he is not thrilled with this quest. Unfortunately, I never reached the stage where it benefitted him -- watching me take down my hair, going out with a gal with a lovely up-do or braid, it was always in- between. I am not really going to talk about it with him this time -- I'll spare him.
Just grow it quietly and be lovely inside and out -- this will make him feel good to be around you, and I wonder if he won't end up loving it.

Beesweet
January 12th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Oops -- can't let a typo go --
I meant 27, 42, 55, and beyond....

MsBubbles
January 12th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I yearned for my hair to be tailbone length when I was 19 but gave up because I thought those chances were ruined by having it cut as a child, and I'd be 'too old' by the time I achieved it. Not sure whether it was my wrinkle-free complexion or springy muscles that made me think that...:rolleyes:

Then when I turned 40 I thought I might not have hair after menopause so decided to just let it grow to BSL and see what happens. Then I found LHC :D. I don't know why I thought I wouldn't have hair after age 50 or so. Both my parents are in their mid 70s with plenty of fine hair, and a few greys.

I'm now at the ripe old age of 42.

zift
January 12th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Since when did 27 become old? :D

Stormy1
January 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I don't think its too old for anything ... really.

I finally finished my BS at 37 (started at 20) and made a career change into an entirely different field.
Most of my classmates were older than I and I thought it was fantastic that people have the courage to go after what they choose and not what society dictates.

trillcat
January 12th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I have had long hair all my life, except for a few shag cuts in grammer school eons ago.. In a fit of madness about 5 or so years ago, I chopped my mid back almost waist hair off into a pixie. Never, never again!!! Everyone told me I looked younger, I didn't. After much angst and growing and cutting layers and general hair hate, it is back to BSL. How long will I grow it, as long as it wants to go! Short hair does not suit me, never has.
I am 43, age is just a number!
I also agree, when the heck did 27 become old????

Rusalka
January 13th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Thank you so much for posting this question! I have asked myself just that for the last couple of month, thinking that may be I should wear "age appropriate" bob for the rest of my life.

I am 32 and I recently started my long hair quest. I started my life from square one after a divorce where I lost everything including my self dignity. In the beginning I was thinking aren't I too old to start a new job, a new relationship, and now couple of year later grow long hair like I was young again?! Many doubts, many concerns have crossed my mind, the end revelation is always: "but I LOVE having long hair!" I will not deny myself the freedom of reaching for something I want to have regardless of what other people might think of my quest :) I am grateful to this community for the inspiration in my long hair journey regardless of my age :)

CrisDee
January 13th, 2010, 10:16 AM
[quote=...I am 32 and I recently started my long hair quest. I started my life from square one after a divorce where I lost everything including my self dignity... "but I LOVE having long hair!" I will not deny myself the freedom of reaching for something I want to have regardless of what other people might think of my quest :) ...[/quote]

First, hugs to you :grouphug: BTDT, more than once, it sucks. And congratulations to you for recognizing and reaching for what you want, best wishes in your endeavor :)

Canarygirl
January 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I started growing out my hair at age 50, so....

Beesweet
January 16th, 2010, 06:53 PM
What a nice thread! Thank you people!

I am inspired.

kmouse43
January 16th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I started growing my hair at 44. I worried that I was too old too. I am now 46 and I have waist length hair! My DH loooves it and everyone thinks I am younger than 46!

MotherConfessor
January 16th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Nonsense? Yeah buddy - say that to our collective long haired faces!! :eyebrows:
Lols, just kidding of course, im sure your father is a lovely man. But really, what does your father know about what makes you feel sexy and beautiful and happy? Whats in style is always what makes you beautiful, forget the rest.

mrs carol
January 16th, 2010, 09:44 PM
You're not to old to start your long hair quest. I'm 56 and I started mine about eight years ago. Now my hair is tail bone length. I plan to keep it long.

Nat242
January 16th, 2010, 10:08 PM
If you could possibly be too old for long hair if, due to age related difficulties, you're physically unable to take care of it anymore, and no one else is willing/able to help you care for it.

I hope you enjoy growing your hair, and I hope your fiance can be supportive of you, even though he may prefer short hair. :flowers:

noelgirl
January 17th, 2010, 07:29 AM
There are a million reasons out there "why not":

"You're too old."
"You're too petite, all that hair will overwhelm you."
"It's not appropriate for your job/for a mom/for fashion."
"Your hair's too fine/thick/straight/curly."
etcetera, ad nauseum . . .

And only one reason why, but it's a pretty good one, I think:

"Because I want to."

FrannyG
January 17th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I didn't start my long hair quest until I was 45. I had a few hair disasters that have set me back (I had to cut off a lot of hair about 3 times due to damage), but I'm on my journey full on right now at the age of 48. I'll never have short hair again. It's absolutely never too late! Go for it!!! :thumbsup:

Honeybun21
January 17th, 2010, 10:48 AM
My dad said the same thing to me when I started applying to graduate schools (I'm 21, by the way). He thought shorter hair was more professional and long hair was the domain of teen or college aged girls. Now that my hair is nearly waist length, he loves it and advised me to keep it long.

Its very possible that once he sees the result, your man will love it. Do what feels right for you.

~Honey

windinherhair
January 17th, 2010, 06:06 PM
A lady that I worked with once made a comment about why I had hair so long and that she thought I would have it shorter by now because of my age. You will see on LHC that age doesn't matter. Funny my hair has gotten even longer since then. I wonder what she would say now. lol. I've had my hair long most of my childhood, cutting it back to my chin just once. I'd like to think I will keep it long too. At least I don't have any plans of cutting. :)

Just want to add, it is amazing the compliments you will get despite those negative comments. So just do what you want with your hair, because that is what you like. :)

Demetrue
January 17th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Your body and hair follicles decide when you are "too old" to have long hair. As long as your hair is still growing and still attached to your head, then you are obviously not too old. I think you are too old to let someone else tell you how you should wear your hair, though. I'm a little concerned about how negative and controlling this fiance sounds. If he can't accept something as superficial as your hair, what is he going to do when you really DO get old, as in your 80's, when you have wrinkles and sagging skin and gray hair and age spots. Frankly, I'm suprised that he isn't more supportive of your dreams. Only you know what is best for you - now I'll shut up and mind my own business :run:

LadyVictoria
January 28th, 2010, 08:15 PM
My mother will be 50 this year and has beautiful waste length silver hair. She is proud of it and I am proud to have her as my mom for not following the whole "at your age" crap.

You are never too old to do what YOU want to do. If you really want to grow your hair out then I say go for it!

LaurelSpring
January 28th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Im 47 and I started almost 2 years ago.

UP Lisa
February 5th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Well, I started at 42, so I should hope you aren't too old!

restourceful
February 5th, 2010, 01:57 PM
If I could be 27 again, knowing what I know now, I'd grow grow grow! I started over again at 43 after cutting out badly damaged color into and inverted bob (ugly! on me). I'm between BSL and waist now with a mini goal of waist. Who knows where I'll go from there?

You are definitely NOT too old until you aren't living and breathing anymore!

Beesweet
February 5th, 2010, 02:07 PM
If I could be 27 again, knowing what I know now, I'd grow grow grow! I started over again at 43 after cutting out badly damaged color into and inverted bob (ugly! on me). I'm between BSL and waist now with a mini goal of waist. Who knows where I'll go from there?

You are definitely NOT too old until you aren't living and breathing anymore!

Well, I like hearing this, too. I've been wrestling with the same question. Your hair is very pretty. I will probably be a very happy camper when I get to that length. I've never actually made it there before, and I have a secret mini-fear that my terminal length is like, APL or something. We'll have to see.

I haven't trimmed since the middle of December. I know I've gotten growth because it keeps getting stuck in my mouth when I eat or talk and I have to put it up when I chop vegetables. Yay, me!

restourceful
February 5th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Well, I like hearing this, too. I've been wrestling with the same question. Your hair is very pretty. I will probably be a very happy camper when I get to that length. I've never actually made it there before, and I have a secret mini-fear that my terminal length is like, APL or something. We'll have to see.

I haven't trimmed since the middle of December. I know I've gotten growth because it keeps getting stuck in my mouth when I eat or talk and I have to put it up when I chop vegetables. Yay, me!

:cheer:Yay, Beesweet! Good for you that you are aware of your growth. You're really close to APL now in your avatar pic. Your curls and color are gorgeous!

Thanks for the compliment! I've been at this length for a couple of years now. I just joined LHC in December and decided I'm not too old to have waist length hair again. I don't trim more than once every 6 months or so and I've even gone a year without trimming before. Unless you are trimming splits or damage, there's really no need to trim. I bet you will be at APL and surpass it before you know it.

my2cats1
February 5th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Jane Seymour serves as a good example on this issue.....I think she is around 50, and her hair is long and thick.

Pr0sperity
February 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I just started growing my hair out a year ago. I have had both negative and positive comments. I would love to see what my terminal length is. I hope to get that long to find out.

SurprisingWoman
February 7th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I had a VERY good friend recently tell me that I was too old for long hair and that I should cut it.

I just laughed.

I am "too old" to do a lot of the things that I do.... and I love it!

So does my DH.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers, they will always be there. Listen to your heart and find someone that will help you on your path.

feralnature
February 7th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Foo-ey on the nay-sayers!

I am 54 and am growing my hair out long again. 'nuf said :)

morguebabe
February 7th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I've always had long hair, but it's NOT nonsense....
You can still get long hair easily!

Qadupae
February 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Just started this year at age 23 ^_^ I don't think its nonsense because most young girls and teenagers don't even know how to properly care for their long hair and so women learn the techniques to make the most of long hair and help it become as beautiful as it can be :D

lynnala
February 7th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Going on 53 here and intend to keep growing til it won't grow anymore! I think older women look MUCH better with long hair!

Vianka
February 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I'm just now starting to grow out my hair at 39 years of age. I've had short hair for most of my life and I'm bored of it. My mother has always encouraged short hair (she's had short hair her entire life). Everyone has an opinion, though. I can't live my life trying to do what others think I should do. Now I want to do what I want to do. I wish I had started growing my hair out when I was 27!

Cheeks1206
February 7th, 2010, 09:31 PM
That's one thing I've never understood. Why does long hair have a time limit and where did that idea come from? If long hair is your dream, go for it! I'm 23 and re-starting my long hair journey. I think I'll be waist length in 2-2.5 years and I don't see any reason to not achieve that. There are many women in my office that have long hair (BSL or longer) in my office.

pinchbeck
February 7th, 2010, 09:36 PM
There will always be people who feel that way (we all cannot like or agree on the same things). All those closest to me always comment that I should cut my hair to a more mature length. Some have stated I look like this and like that. I don't care how they see me because I prefer longer lengths on me. My bf opposes my hair length goals, too, and cannot understand my desire, preference, appreciation, or my adoration for it.

We need to look how we feel comfortable. If having longer hair is what you want, than that is what you should have providing it is well taken care of. I understand your situation and have lopped my hair off several times to appease others. I regret it, but it is hard not to fall into the trap of outside pressure and we have to find our own way to disregard these comments.

Pr0sperity
February 8th, 2010, 06:41 AM
This is a very encouraging place! I am going for it. You all have such beautiful hair.

UP Lisa
February 8th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Maybe you need a new boyfriend, PinchbecK!

elina333
February 8th, 2010, 07:08 AM
But you're only 27?! And even if you were 77 you're NEVER too old for long hair. Not for anything! You can do whatever you like. So stand up for yourself and grow that hair loooong! :D Im 25 and on a mission ;)

intothemist1999
February 8th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I started my quest when I had 20 years on you! Never too old!

Fairlight63
February 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I started growing out my hair when I was 62 - I am now almost 65 & my hair is just below BSL.
So, NO you are not too old.
I wish that I had started growing out my hair when I was younger - or better yet, I wish that I never cut it when I was 12 yrs. old.

Tressie
February 8th, 2010, 10:32 AM
You will only be too old, when you have ceased to breathe another day. :blossom:

What SHELIAANN1969 SAID~~ :D

pinchbeck
February 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Oh...I forgot to mention that my mom was sitting beside me on the couch eyeballing my hair (it was in a braid as always) and she said she had a $50 gift certificate for a hair salon and asked what am I going to do with my hair. I told her I am going to leave my hair alone and that she could give the certificate to my sister. She stated my sister has a stylist and wouldn't use it. I suggested that she give it to my son. Ha ha ha!

My former brother-in-law visited this month, too. I haven't seen him in seven years. One of the first things he said to me was, "you need to cut off about six inches of your hair to achieve a more contemporary look....you need a makeover....you look like an Amish woman minus the dress." He is a bodybuilder and will be competing in a show in the natural category, so I am sure he is exposed to many different types of high maintenance women. So it kind of made sense since that is what he is used to, but there was a bit of fire in my eyes.

Yesterday, I had my family over for dinner including my mom. At the dinner table my son embarrassed me in front of them by saying, "Mom, cut your hair". You look like a hippie. I just sat there speechless thinking of something clever to say. I stated that I already took four inches off to look more contemporary and he said, "Well, take eight inches more off". Holy crap. I couldn't believe it. Gee, I didn't know I look that horrid to everyone I know. Well, I will remain the beast that I am and poo to everyone who doesn't like it!

Tarja Sky
February 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I think you are never too old for long hair. It's all about feeling good about yourself, that's it.
I like long hair because it's in my opinion more feminine and it makes me feel more a girl then a "woman" (if that makes sense to anyone...:cool:)

Raponsje
February 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Oh...I forgot to mention that my mom was sitting beside me on the couch eyeballing my hair (it was in a braid as always) and she said she had a $50 gift certificate for a hair salon and asked what am I going to do with my hair. I told her I am going to leave my hair alone and that she could give the certificate to my sister. She stated my sister has a stylist and wouldn't use it. I suggested that she give it to my son. Ha ha ha!

My former brother-in-law visited this month, too. I haven't seen him in seven years. One of the first things he said to me was, "you need to cut off about six inches of your hair to achieve a more contemporary look....you need a makeover....you look like an Amish woman minus the dress." He is a bodybuilder and will be competing in a show in the natural category, so I am sure he is exposed to many different types of high maintenance women. So it kind of made sense since that is what he is used to, but there was a bit of fire in my eyes.

Yesterday, I had my family over for dinner including my mom. At the dinner table my son embarrassed me in front of them by saying, "Mom, cut your hair". You look like a hippie. I just sat there speechless thinking of something clever to say. I stated that I already took four inches off to look more contemporary and he said, "Well, take eight inches more off". Holy crap. I couldn't believe it. Gee, I didn't know I look that horrid to everyone I know. Well, I will remain the beast that I am and poo to everyone who doesn't like it!

This sounds so sad! Looking beautiful in the eyes of others is one thing, but feeling beautiful is so much more important. Cherish your hair!

GlassEyes
February 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM

Ouch on the son thing, but as far as the bodybuilder part--it makes me laugh to imagine some big dude talking about how you 'need to cut your hair for a more contemporary look'. :lol: Nothing wrong with that, of course, but the image is rather funny.

restourceful
February 8th, 2010, 02:25 PM
SurprisingWoman, your hair is gorgeous!:thud:

This is a very encouraging place! I am going for it. You all have such beautiful hair.

Welcome, Pr0sperity! :waving:

Pr0sperity
February 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Thank you so much, restourceful!

Lorien
February 9th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Too old is a myth :) I stopped cutting my hair at age 26 or so, I'm 29 now and loving it :)

If it's what you like and think will make you happy, why shouldn't you?

I wanted to have really long hair once in my life, at least, so here it is and I'm very happy with it, why can't you? :)

CrisDee
February 9th, 2010, 08:31 AM
... "you need to cut off about six inches of your hair to achieve a more contemporary look....

Here I think is the real crux of this issue. Our modern culture has become indoctrinated with a rigid rule that everyone must look "contemporary," whatever that may entail at any given time - as though long hair is fine on children, but once we become adults, we must look "contemporary," must conform to this rule at all costs. YAY to those of us who don't buy into that crap! :cheese:

SurprisingWoman
February 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Thank you, restourceful.

Lorien
February 9th, 2010, 11:11 AM
There must be an unknown power in hair that makes people less keen on fitting inside little boxes ;)

Anisaa
February 9th, 2010, 06:27 PM
OMG!! I am 28 and I don NOT feel old, on the contrary I feel as if my LIFE has just begun!!!! It is your HAIR do as you please with it! Good Luck!

-simply Venus-
February 9th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I don't think anyone is ever too old to start! Even if you are 90 years old!

But I started my journey at 12 or 13. ^.^;; Lol.

darkwaves
February 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Your son is likely playing up the comments from others -- he may see this as a way of getting attention and support, albeit at your expense.

I would use this as an opportunity to have a private talk with him about a number of issues: Respect, tolerance, body image, and the right to have and explore independent ideas and goals. However old he may be, he needs to know these things. (And he wouldn't want you treating him that way if he decides to do something unique and personally meaningful.)

I don't know your son's age, but I had conversations like this with my kids from toddler through teenage years...