PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinion

DBBramble
January 3rd, 2010, 01:23 PM
Is it possible to have fine thick hair when your hair is oily and fine thin hair when it's clean?

I'm asking this because that's what my hair seems to be doing. Any thoughts or theories are welcome.

florenonite
January 3rd, 2010, 01:37 PM
My hair's fine and when it's clean it's very thick but as it gets dirtier it gets thinner. I wouldn't have thought it would be the other way round, though :shrug:

Fine hair does compress a lot, though, so I think that makes its thickness more variable.

Xandergrammy
January 3rd, 2010, 01:37 PM
I'm no expert, but it seems to me that if your hair gets super oily, then it could get thicker when the oil has had a chance to build up and coat the strands. Kind of makes each hair a little fatter, if you know what I mean. Your hair looks very pretty in your avatar.

DBBramble
January 3rd, 2010, 01:48 PM
Thank you for the compliment! ^___^ And thank you both for your answers. My mom swears I have thick hair even when it's clean, but it doesn't feel thick to me. On the bright side, I know I don't have to worry about losing my hair.

bumblebums
January 3rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
Have you measured your ponytail circumference (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5)? Maybe you have more hair than you realize.

Also, are you putting anything in your hair, such as leave-in conditioner? Back when I used product, I swear my hair would get thicker when it was dirty, primarily because I would wear leave-in conditioner and lint, etc. would stick to it. It is also possible that a humectant leave-in conditioner absorbs water from the air and makes your hair feel thicker and heavier the longer you go between washes.

DBBramble
January 3rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
That could very well be possible the first time I did it my ponytail was at the back of my head (hope that makes sense) and measured thin ( i ) but it could very well be normal ( ii ) and I just did it wrong. Where does the hair need to be exactly? Does it need to be in a high ponytail for most accurate measure?

Yes, I do use a leave in conditioner, but I normally put it on just the ends of my hair to help keep split ends to a minimum. Still when I brush my hair nothing keeps it from going to my roots, so that could be a factor as well

MissManda
January 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
I think I know what you mean. As was stated above, as the hair gets dirtier/oilier, the individual strands get coated and feel fatter. Interestingly, my hair seems to have an easier time with going poofy (provided I let my hair air dry while it was down as opposed to a bun or braid). I can get more volume with my hair being a little oily, actually. I have iii hair, and sometimes I feel like I have ii or even i hair on the days when my hair gets really compressed (on my cleanest day and on my very oily days), even though I know I have tons of it. I've had quite a few people underestimate my volume of hair. Hee hee.

As far as measuring your ponytail circumference, I usually make my ponytail smack-dab on the top of my head. I have layers and a lot of shorter hairs, so putting a ponytail at the top of my head is the best way of measuring all of my hair. I just measure above my elastic with a piece of string or I make a ponytail with a soft measuring tape, pulling my hair snugly, but not tightly.

Hope that helps!

DBBramble
January 3rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
Yes, it does. Thank you

MissManda
January 3rd, 2010, 11:16 PM
You are most welcome! :)