PDA

View Full Version : Twisting direction

julliams
January 3rd, 2010, 05:54 AM
I noticed that all my waves went to the right so I've always twisted my hair to the right when doing buns etc.

Is it best to alternate the direction of the twisting to avoid possible breakage in the same spots or would it make no difference?

Would I get better bun waves going in the same direction as my waves or the opposite? I don't normally wear my hair as curly as in my siggy. Its normally more of a wave.

enfys
January 3rd, 2010, 06:00 AM
My hair's not as curly as yours, it's barely wavey, but I twist clockwise because it feels more secure. Twisting the other way slips out so I need to re-do my hair more often which I think puts more stress on it.

I've never observed twisting breakage, which I imagine would mean splits down the front edges of your hair either side of your parting. Or much breakage.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, I think.

julliams
January 3rd, 2010, 06:05 AM
We have a really strong light in the bathroom and when I look at my hair from the back there is a halo or shorter hairs all around the crown. I guess it could be new growth but there I have concerns that it could be at the point where my hair starts to twist into a bun.

I don't know, it's late and I'm bored and thinking too much.

enfys
January 3rd, 2010, 06:37 AM
If that's the case I'd be more concerned with the positioning of the buns and varying that than the twist disection. Mix it up between starting lower down by your nape and then higher by your crown.

I'm sure it's hard to tell but it it's possible to check see if the ends are blunt/split or tapered, even if you need to get your scissors and snip off the very tip of a few to check. A tapered end will be new growth and nothing to worry about.

spidermom
January 3rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
I could be wrong, but I've got the impression that twisting causes damage in my hair, so I avoid it.