PDA

View Full Version : Does healthy happy hair tangle?

Heavenly Locks
January 3rd, 2010, 03:54 AM
Just a ponder. :)

Pre LHC, I would always schedule a trim or cut when my fingers or brush would start getting caught in the last inch or two of my hair. Indicating to me that it was damaged or had 'dead ends' (dumb term!) and needed to be taken off.

Besides not having the right combo of care and products, what else can attribute to this?

I am almost at waist now and am starting to experience these tangle prone ends again. Is this normal for hair longer than say, BSL?

I guess what I'm asking is, is 'extra long' hair that is tangle free most of the time a myth? Am I chasing unicorns here?

ETA:

I am noticing that a LOT of my tangles are created by my hair inhaling lint and then it gets pushed to the ends by my comb where it tangles and wraps around the ends. I am thinking that when it was shorter (pre LHC) that the tangling was more damage related. Stupid lint! :justy:

I'm guessing fuzzy winter clothes, dog with an undercoat shedding and flannel sheets are contributing.

julliams
January 3rd, 2010, 04:08 AM
I'd like to know this too. My 11 year old's hair has not had a trim in a year and is now starting to tangle alot at the ends. I'm not sure if this is just her hair texture or if a trim would fix the problem. When her hair is bob length she could go for days without brushing, but now that it's longer (BSL) I'm finding that she can tangle even right after it's all been combed through and ends oiled by me.

Juliette

Dreams_in_Pink
January 3rd, 2010, 04:17 AM
In my opinion, fine hair and curly hair tangle more than coarse and straight. I have wavy hair and strands are quite thick,it almost never tangles.

jojo
January 3rd, 2010, 05:02 AM
My hair tangles more after BSL. My hair is also nearly waist and baby fine/wavy for me fine hair and tangles go together, the longer it gets the more tangles I have too.

freckles
January 3rd, 2010, 05:09 AM
I'm fine haired too, and I battle with tangles whatever length I'm at. I've never associated tangly hair with unhealthy hair, myself. It's an irritation, sure, but I've never thought it meant my hair was BAD, just an unfortunate side effect of my hair type :)

enfys
January 3rd, 2010, 05:43 AM
My hair tangles where ever it fancies, when ever it fancies.

Sometimes my fringe tangles, which is between chin and collarbone, sometimes the ends are tangly. I could cut them off but some days they aren't knotted at all and the ends to look at aren't crinkly, crisp or split, so I don't see a need to.

Milui Elenath
January 3rd, 2010, 06:02 AM
My hair has always tangled at the ends, its fine and straight and waist length. I don't know if tangling has got to do with length or not as I've had waist length hair for a looong time.

My ends do have occasional splits and are drier than the length but they aren't unhealthy. I do find they need more conditioner and tlc.

If my hair has been loose for a few hours it might not be tangled (at home, shopping, restaurant) if its been out the whole day it will definitely require detangling. So it depends on what you mean by 'tangle free most of the time.'

My hair will require detangling every night, sometimes alot if I've been careless (loose hair in wind) sometimes not much (protective style) but thats my hair and it might not be others experience.

I'm Interested in knowing.

Qamar
January 3rd, 2010, 09:12 AM
I have fine hair at tailbone length and it definitely tangles even though it is healthy. If the ends get particularly velcro like I do a deep conditioning with honey and coconut milk or SMT and then do a search and destroy for split ends and that fixes the issue nicely. Its just a part of long hair care as far as I can tell. I did find that using a angle teezer made a big difference for me though!

Elvi
January 3rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
My medium coarse 1c hair is nicely free of tangles if I let it dry naturally. But if I roll it with curlers, even make rag curls without heat, the ends always tangle. The tighter curls I make, the frizzier the hair ends will be. So that is the price of variation for me.
:pumpkin:

SlightlySoprano
January 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
Maybe it really is a fine hair thing, because even the day after a trim, my hair will tangle. And i've done a S&D to try to find out why! Often i find those 90 degree angles that i snip out, that seems to help!

GoddesJourney
January 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
In my opinion, fine hair and curly hair tangle more than coarse and straight. I have wavy hair and strands are quite thick,it almost never tangles.

My hair tangles more after BSL. My hair is also nearly waist and baby fine/wavy for me fine hair and tangles go together, the longer it gets the more tangles I have too.

I'm going to have to agree here. Fine hair does tend to tangle more. For me, tangling is a good indication that I need some kind of trim or at least a good, thorough S&D. If S&D isn't "cutting it", I trim. Tangling comes from friction for me, which means split ends. Once I get rid of those, the tangling stops. Sometimes my little curly hairs will tangle at the ends anyway. I guess I can't stop that but it's not very often.

LisaJaney
January 3rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Fine hair here, and when it gets tangly at the end, I either have buildup or splits. THe easiest fix is to clarify (get rid of buildup) so I do that first. If that doesn't help, then I know it was splits (and probably buildup; it never hurts to clarify, since I only do it once a month or so) and I have to do an S&D mission. THEN the tangling goes away.

I have fine hair and it rarely tangles. Probably because there's so LITTLE of it, but it rarely tangles. I can wash it, (I CO wash), wrap it in a towel, and get out of the shower and run my Denman Brush (http://www.ballbeauty.com/dentrad.htm) from scalp to ends without having any resistance, and it's always been that way.

chickpea
January 3rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
ETA:

I am noticing that a LOT of my tangles are created by my hair inhaling lint and then it gets pushed to the ends by my comb where it tangles and wraps around the ends. I am thinking that when it was shorter (pre LHC) that the tangling was more damage related. Stupid lint! :justy:

I'm guessing fuzzy winter clothes, dog with an undercoat shedding and flannel sheets are contributing.

Lint is a problem for me as well and definitely contributes to tangles. It isn't as bad if I wear my hair up but I don't like to do that all the time.

It could be that the ends of your hair are more likely to tangle because they are older. I think some wear & tear is unavoidable even if one practices good hair care habits.

spidermom
January 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
My tangles are getting worse with length. Occasional use (once every week or 10 days) of a coney serum helps.

marobader
January 3rd, 2010, 11:48 AM
I had the same problem too :(

slz
January 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
I think that my hair is neither fine nor coarse, just medium. I don't know if it's "healthy" or not, but it tangles. Always, from scalp (well almost) to ends. Just looking at it makes it tangle, I swear.

Fiferstone
January 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
I too gauge when to trim by how many tangles I get at the ends when brushing/combing. Mostly the tangles are due to splits at the ends snagging on each other. I've always had tangles and never associated them with my hair being unhealthy or in poor condition, they're just a normal part of my hair when it gets longer. It tangles more readily when it's longer than when it's at shoulder length, so I am definitely doing more protective styles these days. Tangles for me are part of life as a long-haired finey.

HildeMV
January 3rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
My hair has always tangled, way before I'd ever touched a bottle of hair dye or a straightening iron.

karli
January 3rd, 2010, 12:43 PM
My hair is fine with some split ends and it doesn`t tangle. Dd has fine hair, very healthy - tangles a lot. I`ve been pondering if porousity might have something to do with tangles cause I really have no idea otherwise.

Luckysock
January 3rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Maybe it really is a fine hair thing, because even the day after a trim, my hair will tangle. And i've done a S&D to try to find out why! Often i find those 90 degree angles that i snip out, that seems to help!
me too - my hair tangles all the time :( and I've got thick hair - I like to think that it is old damage from when I used to colour it - I'm hoping that as I grow out the colour the tangling will stop.

ilovelonghair
January 3rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
I think that tangling is normal, especially when hair gets longer.

Anje
January 3rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
I've got fine hair that has always formed clumps and has always tangled at all lengths (though I've only had shoulder and longer in living memory). It seems to like forming little knots in the length which leave kinks that eventually split.

I'm curious whether there's a correlation between hair tending to clump together in strings and also with it tangling. It seems to me like the little sections of hair sort of tie or weave themselves together when left to their own devices.

bumblebums
January 3rd, 2010, 03:31 PM
I've never had much of a tangle problem. I think it's an interaction of hair type and length. Some people have super-sleek hair that doesn't tangle even when long, others have hair that tangles even at shoulder length.

Libilou
January 3rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
My hair tangles if I even move my head. I can brush it well, have it looking nice, sit at my desk just working and it will tangle within minutes.

It's why I usually wear my hair up most the time.

30isthenewblack
January 3rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
My hair never tangled until my hair reached 30" or BSL curly and now it does tangle now and again when I'm sleeping. I'll have to search through older threads to find different ways of wearing my hair when I'm sleeping. I have found that my hair tangles more and attracts lint when I put jojoba oil on my ends which I have decided to stop doing as it seems to make my hair more fragile.

Monkey962
January 3rd, 2010, 06:23 PM
I definitely think that freshly trimmed hair is less prone to tangle. I posit that it has something to do with damaged and uneven ends. My hair is somewhere around hip length, but back when it was newly-trimmed, it definitely felt 'smoother'.

BranwenWolf
January 3rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
I have lovely glossy hair coming from the crown of my head, but the hair growing from the back of my head or neck nape is curlier and quite coarse, and no matter what I do that stuff tangles unless it is braided.

MissManda
January 3rd, 2010, 11:27 PM
I am a fine-hair, and I get tangles, but nothing to write home about. I am very gentle and work my way through them. I too use how much my ends tangle as an indicator of when I need a trim. After the trim, my hair is much more well-behaved and I won't need another trim for quite a while. But unless I leave my hair loose on a windy day or when I go to sleep, I don't get too many tangles.

ArienEllariel
January 4th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I don't know.. I have fine hair but I swear it tangles like mad. After I shower, no matter how careful I am during washing, no matter how much conditioner I use, my hair tangles from the ends to a little above my ears. (keep in mind I carefully brush it before I get in the shower and wrap, not rub it in a towel to dry) I don't know if that's because I have breakage or splits or what. I always remember having to fight with my comb after shampooing so maybe it's just something I'll have to live with. It does help when I trim though.

xoxophelia
January 4th, 2010, 02:49 AM
My hair literally doesn't tangle at all. I have not brushed it once in three days including after showering and have had about zero tangles. I'm not even exactly sure what you mean by tangles? Perhaps this is an indicator that I was right about my hair type?

I think if your hair doesn't slip and feel silky when you rub a little lightly between your fingers than it will be more likely to tangle. If it is a real problem it would make sense to cut it. Long hair really only looks good when it is healthy and managable anyways.

IttyBittyKitty
January 4th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I agree with xoxophelia,when my hair feels silky it doesnt tangle as much.
My hair got tangles from hell last week and i have been doing some serious oiling since,and today there is not a single tangle even though i have worn it down and been outside in the cold weather.

Captain Nikki
January 4th, 2010, 04:20 AM
My fine hair always used to tangle badly. Since joining LHC & learning how to look after it properly, i hardly get any tangles anymore. Updos when outside & cone free CO washing i think have helped the most. Also keeping it split end free.

Sammich
January 4th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I have no idea what's wrong with mine. It tangles like crazy nowadays. It never used to when it was super thick, before I got it thinned out, perhaps that damaged it so bad. :( Maybe the countless dying's this year are now taking it's toll on it. (5 times, lightenings and a black colouring.)

xoxophelia
January 4th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I have no idea what's wrong with mine. It tangles like crazy nowadays. It never used to when it was super thick, before I got it thinned out, perhaps that damaged it so bad. :( Maybe the countless dying's this year are now taking it's toll on it. (5 times, lightenings and a black colouring.)

If it wasn't tangling before you did the color, than that is probably what the culprit is. Do you deep condition your hair once a week or do oil treatments? It might help. As well as a slight trim (about 1 inch) to take off the worst part of the damage.

yuccalyptus
January 4th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Hair can definitely be healthy & happy but still tangle, in my opinion. Environmental factors can play a role. I've noticed that my usually tame hair has tangled a lot more easily since I moved from a desert climate to a humid climate. The extra moisture also makes it shinier though, so at least there's a silver lining. :)

Gothic Lolita
January 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I think my hair is healthy. Possibily not the healthies out there, but is has hardly any splits and no damage in the length. And it still tangles like hell. so, yes thaz's possible, but I can't tell you why.
My sister hair is wavy/curly, slightly damaged and her's doesn't tangle at all.

UP Lisa
January 4th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I think tangles have to do with texture, length, and health. The only time my hair is not tangly is when it is very short. The longer it gets, the more tangly it gets. My hair does not get dry, and it does not have splits. However, it is baby fine and wavy. It is the type of hair that you can comb through the same section fifty times, and it will still be tangled when you try to go through it. The only way I can comb through it is in the shower as I am rinsing conditioner from it. It is very difficult to separate into sections for braiding, etc. As soon as I try to pull it apart, it sticks together. If I continue to pull, it will form a knot that I will have to cut off. Lately it seems I am getting more of those. I feel I have been doing a lot of damage to my hair that I do not want to do!

Sammich
January 4th, 2010, 03:03 PM
If it wasn't tangling before you did the color, than that is probably what the culprit is. Do you deep condition your hair once a week or do oil treatments? It might help. As well as a slight trim (about 1 inch) to take off the worst part of the damage.
Thank you.
Actually. I think you're quite right. :o Thank you with my brainfart! I never actually thought of that PROPERLY. Cough. :p
I do do oil treatments... I oil whenever it feels particularily dry, and that doesn't really seem to help with tangles, I have also done deep conditioning. I still get them. It's only just started happening in December till now. Very strange indeed...
The thing is though, my hair doesn't look damaged at all, and I've cut my hair ALOT after I coloured.

:cheese: Cheese!

Fractalsofhair
January 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM
My hair tangles, and frizzes, but doesn't look such.(I've been able to go for a week without combing or brushing. It wasn't until I combed it out that I noticed the tangles.) It's short, for the record.

trolleypup
January 4th, 2010, 05:46 PM
After normal washing and preening...tangles, after doing a thorough s&d...tangles, after it has been down or involved in dust or lint or whatever...more tangles.

Then again, my ends are 7 years old and the strands are perceptibly thinner at the ends than at the roots. So I would expect that at a micro level they are (much) rougher than where they have been exposed to less wear than tear.

Mom's hair didn't much tangle, but then it was kept shorter, and it is much coarser !!!) than mine.

EdG
January 4th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I get a lot of tangles.

I can untangle my hair, wait an hour, and it's tangled again. :(
Ed

Rivanariko
January 4th, 2010, 08:29 PM
My hair loves being tangled! Since joining LHC it has gotten a lot better, since I wear it up a lot more and am more careful with it, but it still tangles quite a bit. It does tangle MORE when I'm trying a routine that it doesn't like. My ends became velcro when I tried my WO experiment. But even now that I'm back on cones, I detangled my hair when I sat down at the computer, have hardly been moving since, and when I run my fingers through it, I find snags. No matter what. If my ends are being particularly tangly, sometimes giving them a little extra moisture makes them happier.

Bellona
January 4th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Mine tangles something horrible, especially my underlayer that is curly rather than wavy. It could just have to do with being bleached though. I'll have to see if it stops when I get more virgin hair.

otherarrow
January 5th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Funny, my hair tangles more now than when I abused it. Especially when it's wet (my friend finger combed my hair the other day and commented on my tangles... then she just pulled hard to untangled the hair lol I almost hit her... my hair is so prone to break when it's wet) but when it dries it has usually untaggled itself (told my friend this and she was very fascinated - yay to my magic hair :cheese::rolleyes:)

Mannaz
January 5th, 2010, 05:38 AM
My hair is close to APL, and oddly enough, the underlayer that is the most healthiest (the only part that is completely virgin) tangles the most and wants to be in dreads.... I'm sure winter, scarfs and coats contribute to this. The tangles i get in the nape are much easier to detangle though, than the tangels I get elsewhere. Usually they form to the line where virgin hair ends and damaged hair begins. I know I'll never be tangle free...

Jannike
January 5th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Well my hair is always tangled, in fact I gave up untangling it when I gave up brushing two years ago. Now and then I try combing it but it sounds horrible, like a crackling fire when all those poor hairs snaps (or maybe this is just what untangling sounds like) and it never ends, I could comb it all day and when I change the combs place and then go back to my combed hair it's as if I've never untangled it at all:rolleyes:. My hair is all virgin but I haven't trimmed it for over two years so I really think it's time now, and maybe I'll have to try S&D.
When I was younger, I used to cut of a lot everytime it started to tangle (around BSL). So it's not tangled all the way up at least :)

WavyGirl
January 5th, 2010, 06:11 AM
IMHO yes. My hair always tangles at pixie length or waist. That said I have noticed a difference in the quality of the tangles over the years. When I started here I had a lot of damage and the tangles would be caused by split ends, and general roughness and dryness to the strands. While using oil and shea butter as leave ins I found that I was getting lots of lint and so more tangles. Now I find that it is mainly shed hairs causing my problems.

Because of the way I dry, my hair is mainly straight through the lengths with a bit more curl at the ends and the sheds get stuck there when I comb. I can gently remove them without damaging the rest now. Something I could never do when my hair was in worse condition. Then I would get tangles higher up the strands wherever they were damaged and have to cut them out every time. I have more problems with tangled shed hairs if I allow my ends to fairytale (a shame, because I do like that look.)

I think anyone with long hair that is not completely straight is likely to get some tangles. Experience will tell if that is lint, shed hairs or damage. If it's the first two then careful grooming is all you need. If it's damage then you need to decide if you're willing to pamper it outrageously or prefer to trim and start fresh.

UP Lisa
January 5th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I've never really thought about the lint issue, but that may be a part of my problem. There is a LOT of dust in my house. It makes sense that leaving oil or shea butter in the hair would cause a problem with that.

Monsterkitti
January 5th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I have starting getting more tangles recently, Im mainly putting it down to shed hairs getting caught up and may hair ubbing on my back when I do rarely have it down.

Lioness
January 5th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I suspect lint, wavyness, lenght and buildup causes my tangles.
My hair is medium to coarse so i don't think that's the culprit.
The tangles usually go from the neck down to the ends. If i just leave it hanging i'll have lots of tangles but when i wear a bun or braid all day my hair doesn't have one single knot.

Amara
January 5th, 2010, 10:45 AM
My hair has always tangled - no matter the length or health. If it's VERY freshly S&Ded, freshly washed and DTed, and then oiled after, that is the only time I can even wear my hair down for an hour or two without tanglyness.

plainjanegirl
January 5th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Normally my hair is slippery with minimal tangles. BUT this last week or so I have had horrid tangles. I am thinking it is a combination of the colder weather/higher heating and using lousy products in my hair. Gonna hopefully get to the store tomorrow to buy some good conditioner.

3azza
January 5th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I think tangling has to do with hair type, the curlier and finer strands lead to more tangles.
But you know what, i have found that damaged hair tangles in different way from healthy hair. When my ends are damaged they are constantly tangled, each time i run my fingers or a comb across them it sticks somewhere and no matter how much i brush them, right then i know it's time to trim. The healtheir younger length however, tangles between washes, but once it's washed and conditioned, i can run my fingers smoothly throught it.

UP Lisa
January 5th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I am NEVER able to run my fingers through my hair. My fingers would be caught before they went an inch. Just lucky, I guess.

Naphthylamine
March 17th, 2011, 03:39 PM
My hair also tangles a lot. But today was bad as hell with no apparent reason! I wore my hair in a half up pony today and ended up doing a lazy bun after combing the tangles out about 10 times until lunch break. All morning; I detangled one side of my hair, flipped that side to my back, grabbed the other side to detangle, and then found the first half of my hair tangled again when I was thinking everything was smooth. :angry:

When I got home, I wet my hair and dipped my hair into a glass of freshly brewed catnip tea. They were still tangling really badly, so I oiled the length and did a braided bun. Probably I will add some more oil in the morning and go to school with a bunned braid of dripping triple moon oil.

pepperminttea
March 17th, 2011, 04:13 PM
My ends being particularly tangle-prone is how I know when a trim's due. (If you're a 'cone user though, clarify first, as it sometimes can be build-up.) I've never associated general tangles with unhealthy hair though; it's just one of those things I fully expect with my hair texture + a little bit of wave + bloody-minded-ness. :p

RitaPG
March 17th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I have found that soaking the ends on my ACV for about 20 seconds, before rinsing it on my length makes a HUGE difference.
That, and a drop of oil or leave-in condish on the very ends.

I used to think that tangles meant damage too, and was constantly trimming it because of that (this was before LHC). Now I know there's a bunch of reasons tangles could happen. I find my most common are
a) lifted cuticle - fixed with ACV and/or leave-in or
b) dry hair - fixed with a good oiling before washing and a rich, creamy conditioner.

Or it could just be the wind?
Answer: Healthy hair tangles too. That doesn't mean it's damaged. Damage is what used to happen when we were pre-LHC and ripped the tangles out with a brush :p

teela1978
March 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM
My hair is now all new non-dyed hair. It definitely tangles less than my old dyed flatironed hair. But it does tangle. Some things seem to help it a bit... deep pre-wash oilings, cones. After washing out oil and coating with cones my hair it doesn't tangle much at all. A few weeks after that when I've been neglecting 'treatments' I have a lot more trouble.

McFearless
March 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Healthy hair definately tangles.

GrowingGlory
March 17th, 2011, 07:03 PM
My hair usually doesn't tangle unless it is damaged, and tangling is usually confined to the last 3". If the ends aren't dry, though, they generally won't tangle regardless.

luxepiggy
March 19th, 2011, 12:04 AM
All hair tangles to some extent. Given a certain original texture & curl pattern, healthy hair will tangle less frequently than damaged hair with the same characteristics, but it will still tangle. Fine hair does, in fact, tangle more than coarse hair.

Contrary to popular belief, curly hair tangles less than straight hair (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=straight-hair-is-knottier-than-curly-hair) . . .

Fufu
March 19th, 2011, 01:32 AM
my hair tangles especially when I just woke up :)

It's normal for hair to get tangled, just use the right method to detangle your hair.

PolarCathy
March 19th, 2011, 01:41 AM
My hair used to tangle so badly that I gave up on it loooong ago. I combed it maybe once a week just before washing and that was it. I was known of my crazy, wild hair. "The wild girl with the wild hair." I never knew if it was a compliment but I honestly I didn't care either.

After a few months of WO I noticed my hair didn't tangle anymore. It was pretty much all of a sudden. The real test will be though when it reaches a certain "critical length" again like waist (goal) and I sleep and have bad dreams on it. Or when I run 20km+ again with unbraided hair in the wind. (Soon.)

ericthegreat
March 19th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Healthy hair can definitely still tangle. Certain hair types are just naturally prone to tangling, like the finer hair types. Also, as was mentioned before things like lint or dust that can be trapped on your hair is often the culprit that is building the tangles. Other things like always wearing your hair down, especially if its windy outside will certainly give even healthy, sleek hair major knots and tangles. For probably 95% of longhaired people, tangles and dealing with them are just a way of life.

jojo
March 19th, 2011, 05:13 AM
me too - my hair tangles all the time :( and I've got thick hair - I like to think that it is old damage from when I used to colour it - I'm hoping that as I grow out the colour the tangling will stop.

When we refer to to fine hair we are talking about individual strands, not the overall thickness. My hair strands are fine yet my overall hair is pretty thick. Just wanted to clarify this point!

and just past waist yup still tangling!

bumblebums
March 19th, 2011, 06:50 AM
All hair tangles to some extent. Given a certain original texture & curl pattern, healthy hair will tangle less frequently than damaged hair with the same characteristics, but it will still tangle. Fine hair does, in fact, tangle more than coarse hair.

Contrary to popular belief, curly hair tangles less than straight hair (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=straight-hair-is-knottier-than-curly-hair) . . .

Thanks for that awesome link, piggy!

maborosi
March 19th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I get tangly hair a lot, but not as much whenever I use a good leave-in conditioner. I've found that even though I trim my ends every 6 weeks or so, I still have trouble with it tangling, but I have relatively fine hair that's always been tangly since I was little.

Sigh.

~maborosi~

teela1978
March 20th, 2011, 12:33 AM

Eek! The picture in that article makes me cringe. Ow ow ow ow ow

RitaCeleste
March 20th, 2011, 12:50 AM
When I was younger, my shorter hair would get huge mats at the base of my neck where it rubbed my collars. Longer it doesn't mat like that. I get tangles on the top layer if I'm riding around with the windows in car down. I get some tangles in its glorious dead ends. I think that that only thing that tangles are the things that get jiggled one way or another. I have coarse wavy hair, when it was virgin hair you had to be very skilled indeed to ever run your fingers threw it. They would get locked up nice and tight. I finger combed instead of brushing back then. I must have really odd hair, I'm mostly white with a tad of everything but Asian in the mix. (Jew, black, Native American) Why won't my hair conform to any darn hair rules???? I am sitting here reading that coarse hair isn't suppose to tangle. Must be lovely for others. Mine has to be conditioned and oiled and sheened into not tangling so much. Then and only then may fingers pass threw it without wiggling 90 miles an hour to pull the tangles apart!

Nera
March 20th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Personally, I've noticed that lenth doesn't cause tangling. When my ends are relatively thin, that's what causes it! Chopping only a little bit off can already do wonders. Because if the thin part is slightly long, it tangles even more.

But I have to add that I have crazy hair! Goodluck with this

TwilightBloom
March 20th, 2011, 09:04 AM
When I went to wear my hair down last night, I found that the ends are getting tangled, I have not had a trim since about august of 2010, and I don't want to trim, but I am thinking I am gonna have to get a micro trim and hope that it helps with the tangles. It doesn't help that my length is still a little damaged, so I may have to microtrim.

EdG
March 20th, 2011, 09:52 AM
All hair tangles for the same reason that extension cords, garden hoses, and plates of pasta tangle: the tangled state is more disordered (has higher entropy). I have never seen any of these items spontaneously become less tangled. :twocents:
Ed

Amraann
March 20th, 2011, 10:12 AM

Pre LHC, I would always schedule a trim or cut when my fingers or brush would start getting caught in the last inch or two of my hair. Indicating to me that it was damaged or had 'dead ends' (dumb term!) and needed to be taken off.

Besides not having the right combo of care and products, what else can attribute to this?

I am almost at waist now and am starting to experience these tangle prone ends again. Is this normal for hair longer than say, BSL?

I guess what I'm asking is, is 'extra long' hair that is tangle free most of the time a myth? Am I chasing unicorns here?

ETA:

My hair tangles when it gets longer. Say past waste.
S & D does help.
I also have a similar problem with lint. Try combing from the bottom then work your way up:)