PDA

View Full Version : A nice picture and two questions/discussions (pic heavy)

LittleOrca
January 2nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
Lets start with the picture. I took these about 60 minutes ago (The first hair picture of 2010!) to see how my hair looked after being damp braided and left up all day in a braided Chinese Bun. The waves are just beautiful and only a little more closer together than my natural waves.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Length%20Shots/IMG_2951.jpg.....http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Length%20Shots/IMG_2950.jpg

Question/Discussion 1

Now for some sad news, at least it is sad to me.

This might be terminal length for me. :wail:

I was looking over old photos of my hair and noticing that it has pretty much stayed the same length for a few years. Granted, in an old shot from undergrad college (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2521&pictureid=31292) about 3 years go, it looks better than it does now. My hair was worn down all the time and dyed mercilessly so there is a lot of damage to break off and trim off. I looked up some terminal length calculators (mostly for fun) and these are the results that I got:
41.5 inches (The current length of the majority of my taper. Some rests at 38, some reaches 42.)
38 inchesNow, I know that is an estimate, considering I am not too sure of the life cycle length of one of my hairs (I estimated 7 years, but I know some hairs have longer or shorter lifespans). This is not the first time that an estimator gave me a short length as terminal. I used another estimating equation and was given the length of 38 inches (which I also posted above). However, I did get three (I guess really 2) large estimates (which I am hopeful are more true) from other calculators:
84.5 inches to 185.19 inches. (Depends on how much I shed per day)
164 inches (one formula found on this site)
164 inches (another formula found on this site)My final goal is 72 inches which is floor length according to how I measure my hair (from forehead hair line and back). I would be tickled if my estimated growth was 84 inches, since that is more than what I want.

What do you all think?

Question/Discussion 2

Should I cut the ends of my hair? The above images make me cringe and I want to scream "CUT IT OFF!" but those pictures are not really fair since my hair tends to fluff and fan out and look horrible when I take braids out, as you can see here (http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Length%20Shots/BraidWaves.jpg).

I have resisted cutting off a lot of my ends for a few reasons:
I don't want to lose the length
I am not a huge fan of a blunt cut right across
I am not a fan of letting someone else cut my hair
I am not sure I am competent enough to cut mine, even with the directions I have bookmarked.
I thought mermaids were supposed to have a taper :PThe reason I am really looking at my ends now is because of what my sister said. Now, I normally don't listen to a lot that comes out of her mouth and usually that is because what comes out is garbage or hateful. On New Year's eve, she said to me (in front of her little posse), "God, I hate your V-shape!" while putting her face in her hands, smiling, and shaking her head, her indication that it was causing her pain to even look at it. Her friends, politely, stayed quiet when I think she was hoping they would agree or say something along her lines (note: she does this a lot and her friends are always quiet and polite and stay out of it, showing a higher maturity level if you ask me.)

I did some photoshopping and came up with these images:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/zHair%20Journal%20Private/HairVersion1.jpg........http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/zHair%20Journal%20Private/HairVersion2.jpg........http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/zHair%20Journal%20Private/HairVersion3.jpg
My hair as it is..........my hair u-cut.......my hair blunt cut

Because of my waves, I am not sure that a more trimmed or thickened hemline derived from a cut would always look nice. What do you all think? I really don't want to cut it, but the idea keeps coming up in my head. If I did cut, I would be cutting off about a years worth of growth and even though all the damage will go eventually, it seems a little futile to cut off so much damage only to have to still let about 30 inches of damage still grow and possibly just end up where I am now again. This is so aggravating to think about! :justy:

ETA: Alright, I have decided not to cut my hair for now since it would be a futile effort to deal with the damage in the long run, but when I do have to decide on a hem later, I think I am going to go with the U. I also have calmed down a little about the terminal length issue. My hair is going to take 11 years to be 100% virgin and at my 72 inch goal, if it grows that long, and perhaps I am just a little upset about having to wait. :shrug:

Longlocks3
January 2nd, 2010, 09:12 PM
Ok, first off I get some WACKY results from terminal length calculators. Who knows, maybe it's use error. I just said to heck with it all and threw them out the window. I would not listen to terminal length calculators because it doesn't take into account all of the factors(diet, hair care, etc.)

Second, I LOVE your taper and this is coming from someone who prefers blunt hemlines on myself. I'd say leave it if that's what you want and to heck with anyone else!

teela1978
January 2nd, 2010, 09:14 PM
I'm not sure you can really say anything about your terminal length yet... your hair has been dyed with commercial dyes right? Aren't your roots much more robust and healthy than your dyed length? It would stand to reason that the new hair will grow longer than the dyed hair... although it may take a very long time for it to all grow out. My undyed hair is significantly thicker than my dyed hair, which makes me think that it would be stronger/longer than its dyed counterpart. Could be similar for your hair as well.

I really don't think you need to cut your hair unless you want to. I do think that photoshopped U looks fantastic though.

Yozhik
January 2nd, 2010, 09:20 PM
I second (or is it third?) the opinions above. I'd wait to see what your terminal may or may not be, and as for the cut, I would go with what you want, not what your sister suggests. I do like the U-cut, however :)

Your hair is really pretty -- don't let too many worries get you down! :flower:

Debra83
January 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
LEAVE AS IS!!!!....er...uh....please!:o

ArienEllariel
January 2nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
I really prefer your hair the way it is, but it is up to you. :) Ignore your sister. She's just being a prissy butt.

GoddesJourney
January 2nd, 2010, 09:45 PM
First of all, if you really do have, as you say, 30+ inches of damage, I would expect it to be stalling out quite a bit. Mine did. The cure to this is to trim in my opinion. You can wait for it to grow out, but sometimes when you just let the ends fall off naturally, it goes on forever because the damage travels up the shaft. Little trims seem to help keep this from happening, at least for me.

So the good news is that this is quite likely NOT your terminal length if you indeed have more than a couple of inches of damage. Ignore the calculators. Furthermore, your hair is beautiful at the length that it's at. Your sister's opinion does not factor into the beautiful hair calculator (that I just invented).

On a side note, I would go with the U cut, because it also looks beautiful with your wavy hair. There will still be enough natural taper for you to have your mermaid look. Also, the natural taper look will surely increase in about a month if your hair is anything like mine.

Oh, and the bad news is that your hair may not increase in length much for the next couple of years until that damage grows out. No worries though, it's a journey. It's definately long already, so it's a good length to wait at.

little_acorn
January 2nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hi Orca - don't despair it may be dye damage causing a false terminal length. :flower:

I love your hair, its very pretty and I like your natural hair as is or if you feel you need to cut then the U shape is my next favourite on you.

Roseate
January 2nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
Pictures:

GORGEOUS!

Question 1:

Don't let the calculators get you down. If you're getting answers from 38-164 inches, obviously they have no idea. I don't think you have enough taper to be near terminal anyway.

Question 2:

I really don't want to cut it, but the idea keeps coming up in my head.

If you don't want to cut it, don't. If it were my hair, I'd go for that U-shaped hem in the middle, but my goal is not floor and your hair is not mine, so don't listen to me! And especially, don't listen to your sister. Behavior like that deserves no encouragement.

One thing you might want to consider, because of this:

I am not a fan of letting someone else cut my hair...I am not sure I am competent enough to cut mine, even with the directions I have bookmarked.

Is maybe you should start giving yourself micro-micro trims, just to get confident with the motions of self-trimming, how to divide your hair, how the scissors feel on your hair, etc. I'm talking 1/8" or so, to get familiar with it so that when you do decide to cut more, you'll be comfortable with your skills.

walterSCAN
January 2nd, 2010, 11:16 PM
First of all, if you really do have, as you say, 30+ inches of damage, I would expect it to be stalling out quite a bit. Mine did. The cure to this is to trim in my opinion. You can wait for it to grow out, but sometimes when you just let the ends fall off naturally, it goes on forever because the damage travels up the shaft. Little trims seem to help keep this from happening, at least for me.

So the good news is that this is quite likely NOT your terminal length if you indeed have more than a couple of inches of damage. Ignore the calculators. Furthermore, your hair is beautiful at the length that it's at. Your sister's opinion does not factor into the beautiful hair calculator (that I just invented).

On a side note, I would go with the U cut, because it also looks beautiful with your wavy hair. There will still be enough natural taper for you to have your mermaid look. Also, the natural taper look will surely increase in about a month if your hair is anything like mine.

Oh, and the bad news is that your hair may not increase in length much for the next couple of years until that damage grows out. No worries though, it's a journey. It's definately long already, so it's a good length to wait at.

I agree with this^ wholeheartedly! The U-cut is beautiful, but if you are/were happy with your hair, don't let snarky comments from your sister make you cut it! I would have probably had to bite back HARD to keep from retorting if it had been my sibling saying something like that about my hair. Your hair is beautiful as-is, or trimmed, so go with your instincts...

Coriander
January 2nd, 2010, 11:16 PM
LittleOrca, honeychild, ignore your sister. Please. She doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. If YOU like your V-shape, that's what matters.

(Side note: I love your hemline!!!)

If you have loads of damage, try being patient. I know I'm still growing out loads of dye and damage, and it seems like hairs are forever snapping off. If you do decide to cut (cries), I like your Photoshopped U-shape.

You have magnificent golden hair, girl. I've always been fascinated by it. :)

Tornerose
January 2nd, 2010, 11:35 PM
Your hair is gorgeous. I can't see anything wrong with it. Alot of people, and maybe especially family members, seems to be jealous of gorgeous hair.
Pay attention when theyre whining about their imperfections, and very often you'll realise that what they pick on you for, is something they wish they had been able to do themselves. (Of course, their ego think they'd probably do it even better, but whatever. You can, they can't! :p)

The photoshopped U-shape looks really flattering on your hair though, so if you bow under for peer pressure, my vote is tell the scissor-person "U-shape please".

melikai
January 2nd, 2010, 11:42 PM
I think your hair is gorgeous. I would trim the ends into the U-shape, but I am partial to that hemline, rather than fairytale ends. I really don't think you're anywhere near terminal - I think that your damage from old dye may be breaking off new growth (your ends look a bit delicate).

pepperminttea
January 3rd, 2010, 12:25 AM
Here's to hoping you don't take this personally, but your sister's an arse. Your hemline is beautiful (and I'm a bluntie); if you like it, you keep it.

I agree with little_acorn, it's probably the dye damage causing a false terminal, and if it is, well. Your virgin hair will catch up to it eventually, and no doubt you'll spoil it rotten with updos and oils, so once it gets there, it'll be built to last. :) Keep going, you'll get there eventually!

sumptuousness
January 3rd, 2010, 01:45 AM
I think your hair is stunningly gorgeous as it is, but if you did decide to trim, I think the U shape is the softer and more mermaid-like option of the two :)

linda g
January 3rd, 2010, 06:41 AM
Hi Little Orca,

1. I think you should ignore those silly calculators.... But just as a cautionary note, since you have had surgery recently, you might expect an effect on your hair growth/shedding. So don't panic when or if that happens, please. :flower:

2. I think your hair looks great as is. However, if you ever did decide to change your hem, I like the photoshopped U hem better on you than the blunt one.

enfys
January 3rd, 2010, 07:23 AM
Not really anything to add but:
1. Pretty hair
2. Not enough taper for terminal yet even on healthy hair
3. Mermaids have taper for better dynamics
4. Terminal calculators are silly
5. Stress won't help
6. I like the U better than the blunt
7. Teeny micro trims might help a little
8. Mean sister, nice polite adult sister's friends

I wouldn't panic over anything any time soon.

ericthegreat
January 3rd, 2010, 07:52 AM
LittleOrca, I would commit mass murder for your hair. I love everything about it! Your light golden blonde colour is so shiny and vibrant, and your natural waves and your tapered ends literally make you the perfect mermaid. Even though you said the bottom 30 inches or so are of past chemical dye jobs, it definitely blends in very well with your natural colour. I see no damage whatsoever, I'd keep your hair exactly the same if I were you. :thumbsup:

No disrespect to your sister who I'm sure loves you deep down in her heart, but sometimes people really need to mind their own business and stop telling other people(even their close family members) that they need to change their hair/clothes/lose weight etc. :flower:

Little_Bird
January 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Little Orca, your new pictures are so beautyfull! I love the colour of your hair :flower:

I think you shouldn't worry for now. I'm on a similar situation to yours, regarding the ends. And as long as terminal lenght goes, if you still have damage, than most likely you will gain more lenght. You know floor lenght is very tricky to achieve, because it already deals with your genes, but don't lose hope! Wait it out. After you trim all your damage and let your hair grow for more years to come, then you'll be able to tell.

Regardless, your hair is beautyfull, and I do think it looks like mermaid hair ;)
Enjoy it, and best of luck with everything for 2010!!

redneckprincess
January 3rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
i like the natural and U shapped hemline, Personally I dont like the blunt hemline at that length...You and I have the same hairtype, so that tells me what i will like on my hair at that length...I am at APL amd my blunt hemline is changing so when/if i do my trimming Im not sure hjust what I will do with it

YoginiCelestial
January 3rd, 2010, 08:19 AM
Your hair is beautiful!!!! I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions, since I'm still rather new at my own hair growing experience, but just wanted to tell you how pretty your hair is! I hope all goes well.

spidermom
January 3rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
Damaged ends will keep breaking off and give you a false terminal length. Trimming 1/8 inch at a time once a month might help you to begin to deal with this, and trust me - you won't see or feel a difference if you take off 1/8. I can't feel a difference when my stylist takes an entire inch. If a little trimming stopped the damage from traveling upward and made it possible for your length to progress, wouldn't it be worth it?

Pixna
January 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Not really anything to add but:
1. Pretty hair
2. Not enough taper for terminal yet even on healthy hair
3. Mermaids have taper for better dynamics
4. Terminal calculators are silly
5. Stress won't help
6. I like the U better than the blunt
7. Teeny micro trims might help a little
8. Mean sister, nice polite adult sister's friends

I wouldn't panic over anything any time soon.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. :redgrin:

Fiferstone
January 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Hey LittleOrca:

1. Your hair is beautiful, so soft and shiny.
2. Your sister's comment is idiotic. I see your hemline as more "fairytale" it's not "v" at all. Next time she comes out with something as asinine as "it hurts me to look at X.." tell her to shut her eyes and go away, preferably in that order.
3. I too am growing out box-dye damage (thank you L'Oreal), and my natural+henna extends only to my shoulder. The henna fades out badly on my length due to the box-dye damage, I'm following Nightshade's advice to trim regularly, to prevent the damage at the ends from worsening and to allow my "healthy" growth to progress.
4. My results from terminal length calculators suggest to me that I won't be able to hit 40 inches, which is classic length on me. So I'm happily ignoring them and seeing what happens. I'm math-challenged anyway. :).
5. You look great! Here's to a complete and full recovery from your surgery.

Fractalsofhair
January 3rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Your hair is lovely, and I doubt it's near terminal. There is NO taper that I can see, just some dyed hair that could be breaking off. I do think the ends look a bit damaged(though VERY shiny) compared to the rest of your hair, but VERY healthy compared to a lot of people. I'd suggest getting a small trim 2x a year or so, and then let it grow(1 inch at the most really). The calculators have no idea. I've gotten results as short as 20 inches off a few of them, and I've had hair that was down to my thighs when I was little(And about 4 inches shorter. So classic at least. Over 35 inches in short. Not 20!), with trims, so it certainly wasn't terminal! Work on reducing damage, babying your hair, and it will grow! My hair breaks off easily, and as a result, if I styled it as most people do, I'd think it couldn't grow longer than a pixie.

Gypsygirl
January 3rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Your hair is amazing! :)

marobader
January 3rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
don't cut it's bueatiful

BonnyJ
January 3rd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Your hair is lovely and I am too young at LHC to offer anything further.

Xandergrammy
January 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
Sweetie, I think your hair is gorgeous just the way it is. Please don't cut it. And I think your V hemline/taper/whateveryoucall it is beautiful and the way a mermaid's hair is supposed to look (take note of my avatar!!). It makes me so sad when a sister is so unkind to her sister. Don't listen to her. She's being mean for her own selfish reasons and her friends' reactions (or lack thereof) are further proof of that. Don't let her get to you. You and your hair and your spirit are wonderful.

P.S. Don't fret about what is terminal for you. You look like you have lots of growing to do!

spidermom
January 4th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Just wanted to add that the terminal length calculators are flawed. I've used one as honestly as I could, and it gave me a terminal length that was shorter than my hair had already grown. So pttttttttttthhhhhhhh! on terminal length calculators.

Spike
January 4th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Coming late to this thread, but I think you made the right choice in NOT taking the scissors to your hair right away. I like your fairytale ends as they are, and think the U-hemline will be lovely with your waves. :flowers:

EDIT: THINK, Spike, THINK, not "thing". Sheesh. < headdesk >

Nae
January 4th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I just want to say that I think your hair is truly beautiful. The way you have it now is lovely, the U is also nice. Blunt.....not so much. I want to send you hugs, I always think of you as our sweet little mermaid and I wish your sister wouldn't be so negative. Hang in there! It will get there eventually whether sis likes it or not!

dolcevita
January 4th, 2010, 10:07 AM
LEAVE AS IS!!!!....er...uh....please!:o

I agree!! Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!! :D