PDA

View Full Version : Long hair layers

naomimcc
January 2nd, 2010, 08:47 PM
Okay peeps...I'm looking for long hair with layers. My hair is fine and straight and down to my hips. Has anybody cut layers into their hair? Did they like it or a pain in the butt? Pix too please!

Lianne
January 2nd, 2010, 09:29 PM
My hair is not nearly as long as yours - it's bsl and fine - but when I get it cut/trimmed, I have layers cut into the front of my hair, and I like it a lot. Makes it a little more interesting for me, and as they grow out, it still looks good (the layers don't start until around the base of my neck). I never have layers in the back of my hair - I did once, and it was a terrible experience for me until they grew out.

I know some people think layers might slow down hair growth, but I personally haven't experienced that. Then again, as I said, I only have them in the front.

Tornerose
January 2nd, 2010, 11:26 PM
Yes. I have a similar hairtype (or atleast I thought I did until i started here), and right before I joined this forum I was talked into getting some soft layers, mainly at the front*. I absolutely hate it.
At first I didn't mind, but after I saw it from the back the first the I hated it. I've also gotten comments that I should cut my hair to approximately where the layers are (BY the people who talked me into it, mind you). And the split ends all over the place are just annoying the crap out of me.

Also it makes my hair look more damaged because it adds extra taper to the hemline, wich is already damaged, so people assume I'm afraid of scissors.

*I do have bangs though. So basicly layering for me is stealing even more thickness out of hair that can't get enough volume.

sumptuousness
January 3rd, 2010, 01:52 AM
I have layers (although not very long hair yet!).

I like the movement they give to hair, but as I grow I think I will keep layers in the front but grow them out at the back, as I prefer the 'interesting' hair to be around the face, and the majority of the 'bulk' to be at the back. Plus, layers at the back of the hair by nature thin the hemline which might not be a desired effect for everyone.

Hope that helps :)

enfys
January 3rd, 2010, 06:34 AM
I cut minor layers myself into my hair when it was classic, just at the front.

I brushed my hair smoothly over my arm like a sheet, then snipped just a few millimeters in every few inches. When my hair was down this gave a really nice soft edge effect, but it was too minor to have an effect on any updos or briads.

I don't think this is very visible in my album; I only have one photo when my hair was lke this but it might be of some use.

Layering is the back just makes very long hair look thin or even straggly on a lot of people and this isn't a look most of us are shooting for.

Dolly
January 3rd, 2010, 09:14 AM
You can check out my album for my pics.....mine is fine thin and stright.....I had layers cut in in the fall of 2008, and I like them ! It just looks better with layers, because I leave it down the majority of the time....so I am keeping my layers!

ravenreed
January 3rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
There are several photos of my layers in my album. I love my layers, except when doing a braid or rope braid. The ends are all sticky-out.

The layers have nice movement when my hair is down, and lighten up how heavy my updo's are.

I think that most people who hate their layers wear their hair up more than I do. Since mine is down at least 50% of the time, and I prefer how layers look, I am happy to put up with not having perfect braids. I don't wear braids nearly as often as I wear my hair down.

They are a pain to grow out though. I have really deep layers and I am trying to grow them out a bit, but layers need to be refreshed from time to time or they do start to look a little funny.

saskia_madding
January 3rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
I love the look of layers but I think there are several important questions everyone considering layers needs to ask themselves:

#1. How do I most often wear my hair?
People who love updos involving braiding or even twisting (ie. a simple cinnabun) should be careful about what type of layers they cut in. speaking from experience, it can really mess with your updo look and leave you looking unpolished as half your layers fall out during the day.

#2. How do you feel about thin ends?
I have about 3 1/8" circumference right now, and I had to cut about three inches off my hair recently (my entire bottom layer). I finally got a picture of me from the back on a white shirt, and it looked so scraggly and thin, I hated it.

Everyone likes something different, so I'm not advising against layers. I am merely noting a few things to consider before deciding if you want them, and if you do, what type (ie. in the front or back or all around).

Messyhair
January 3rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
I've been growing out from short, so right now I have a ton of natural growing-out layers, but when it was waist to hip length I did have it cut into a deep u-shape to provide me with some layering in the front. I HATE the look of all-over layers on my hair because all they do is flip every which way and look terrible on me. The only way to make mine look good is to heat-style my hair, which I don't want to do. Plus I like my original thickness and it just feels wrong when I have layers thinning it out.

I do love the look of all-over layers in long hair when they behave - unlike mine. haha! This time growing out, I'll stick to a u-shape that I can maintain myself unless I find a stylist that I can trust (my brother is dating one, so I'll test the waters :D).

ETA: Oh yeah, pics of my u-shape:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/hgallant/jun05.jpghttp://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/hgallant/may05.jpg

Leena7
January 3rd, 2010, 08:57 PM
I only have shoulder length hair, but it is very fine and straight. I have just recently had my hair shaped with new layers after about 7-8 months of growing out from a pixie without trims. I love how it came out because it made my hair lay flatter. I have fine hair, but a good deal of it, so a few strategic layers helped to make my hair less poofy. The problem is, I think you need to have a really good hairdresser to cut in layers because I have seen some people end up with layers that look like chunks were cut randomly from their hair. I think lots of people who ended up with a terrible layer experience probably had a hairdresser that wasn't that experienced in good techniques. Google images of some hair styles with long layers. I think it's best for people with fine hairs to keep their layers relatively long and to go for layers that look like they flow into the rest of the hair, if that makes sense.

UncommonTart
January 3rd, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'm not your hair type at all, so I don't know that this will be any help to you, but here goes anyhow:

I'm just past classic, with long, thinning layers throughout. The shortest layers in my hair are just about bsl. I love them. They give my waves (especially when I have good braid waves going) more definition by breaking up the wave pattern. They make my hair feel lighter, which is good for me since I have a problem with headaches.

That said, they do require more upkeep than I have previously been used to with my hair. They do cause messy stick-out ends and increased taper in braids. (I happen to like braids to taper a bit, but I know that plenty of people don't.) As well, my hair has been thinning lately (no idea why, but I'm having some tests done for that and other reasons this week) and I do notice it more now than I did before I had the layers cut in.

All in all, I say if you think you'll like it go for some minor long layers, maybe just around your face. Make sure that they're long enough to pull back however you normally like to wear your hair without falling down. Give 'em a test run for a week or two, and if you like them, go back and have some more cut in. If you don't, then you shouldn't have to wait too long for them to grow out.

I'll have to owe you a pic. I need to take new length pics since reaching my goal, anyhow, but my hair is not in a photographable state today.

maskedrose
January 3rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'm at waist right now and LOVE my layers. I'll keep them at my goal length of hip as well. My waves are far more defined than with a blunt cut and I think it adds a bit more interest to long hair - especially since I wear mine down quite a bit. A picture from last year (It looks similiar now - I've trimmed a lot over the last year):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1164&pictureid=42490

Messyhair - I love your U shape :crush:

janedoe0
January 4th, 2010, 12:46 AM
My hair is straight too, but only BSL and very coarse and thick. You can take a look at my profile picture.

I have a love-hate relationship with my layers - they make my superthick hair look thinner and give it more movement, but updos are impossible now. You don't have to be in the same predicament as me however...I have very deep layers and you can try out some lighter layers to start off with.

I do agree that it does depend on how much you like wearing your hair up. I tend to like wearing my hair down, so on the whole my layers weren't the worst choice. I am worried, however, about how they are going to look when grown out, since I am planning on going on the benign neglect route for a while.

SearMeCarefully
March 30th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I'm at waist right now and LOVE my layers. I'll keep them at my goal length of hip as well. My waves are far more defined than with a blunt cut and I think it adds a bit more interest to long hair - especially since I wear mine down quite a bit. A picture from last year (It looks similiar now - I've trimmed a lot over the last year):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1164&pictureid=42490

Messyhair - I love your U shape :crush:

:bowtome: your hair is so lovely! I think I'm going to get some again.. but this time without a drastic V hemline (which I didn't ask for before)

Juliannaissance
March 31st, 2010, 12:54 AM
I made a mistake of cutting my hair in layers because now it's getting shorter because of shedding and there was only a small handful of long hair layers. Darn!:mad: My pictures are on my profile by the way...I still haven't figured out how to post pictures on here. :)

TXbarbie
March 31st, 2010, 12:57 AM
My hair is in between BSL and waist - I've always had layers and I love them. My hair is pretty fine so I probably shouldn't have them, but when I style my hair the curls look so pretty in layered hair!