PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo bar users, what conditioner do you use?

Neoma
January 2nd, 2010, 08:18 PM
For the record, I am a long-time shampoo bar user. I understand that many folks who use shampoo bars follow up with an acid (vinegar, citric acid, lemon juice...) rinse and no conditioner. And I know that some folks don't use an acid rinse after their shampoo bar.

My question is for those folks who use shampoo bars and a bottled (conventional) conditioner, with or without an acid rinse. What is your conditioner of choice and why? Does it have cones?

Longlocks3
January 2nd, 2010, 08:32 PM
I like my good old VO5 conditioner after my shampoo bar.

My routine is: two shampoo bar lathers, conditioner and then my ACV rinse. VO5 is nice because it's cheap and certain 'flavors' work really well for me.

Of course, the conditioner is cone free.

ETA: The first time I used a shampoo bar I didn't use conditioner, just an ACV rinse. My hair was wayyyyy too tangled!

Neoma
January 2nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
I like my good old VO5 conditioner after my shampoo bar.

My routine is: two shampoo bar lathers, conditioner and then my ACV rinse. VO5 is nice because it's cheap and certain 'flavors' work really well for me.

Of course, the conditioner is cone free.

ETA: The first time I used a shampoo bar I didn't use conditioner, just an ACV rinse. My hair was wayyyyy too tangled!
Thank you, Longlocks3. :flowers: I really appreciate that detailed your routine.

VO5 is in my all-time favorites lineup. I adore Strawberries & Cream.

Longlocks3
January 2nd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Thank you, Longlocks3. :flowers: I really appreciate that detailed your routine.

VO5 is in my all-time favorites lineup. I adore Strawberries & Cream.

I do wonder if I should lather, ACV rinse and then use conditioner but I'm a creature of habit. :D

Waiting for more peoples replies! This is going to be some good info.

Liluri
January 2nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
I tend to switch around but my most frequent routine is

Wash with a shampoo bar

Rinse with a strong vinegar rinse, 2-3 Tbsp of vinegar to 400ml of water. I have skipped this at times but not very often.

Condition with Schwarzkopf liquid silk conditioner from the ears down.

Katja
January 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
I gave up bottled shampoos and coney conditioners about a year ago, and have been using poo bars ever since. I don't use an acid rinse, except a weak citric acid rinse pre-conditioner on very, very rare occasions. My routine:

Single lather of an SCH poo bar (I've used almost all of the SCH varieties, and they all work equally wonderfully for me).

Follow with my current fave conditioner, Hugo Naturals Vanilla & Sweet Orange or Hugo Naturals Red Tea & Ylang Ylang. They both smell lovely!

Alternative conditioner: my hair loves protein, so I sometimes use Joico K-Pak Reconstruct on its own, or mixed 1:1 with one of the above conditioners.

I apply conditioner mostly from ears down, as my scalp tends to excess oiliness.

SlightlySoprano
January 2nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
i usually only have to lather once with the shampoo bar and i follow it up with a nice cheapo brand cone free conditioner (this time it's Suave Naturals) OR if i really need the moisture, garnier fructise triple moisture deep conditioner and i leave that sucker in as loooong as i can (and it's also -cone free) :)

chickpea
January 3rd, 2010, 10:52 AM
I mostly use Jessicurl's Aloeba or Kinky Curly Knot Today conditioner to detangle my hair after using a shampoo bar and vinegar rinse. I like Aloeba for when my hair needs extra moisture, and KCKT when it needs something lighter. VO5 conditioners also come in handy for detangling but do not provide much moisture.

ETA: if I do a catnip tea soak after washing, I only need a leave-in conditioner. The catnip tea alone is not enough conditioning for my hair, but does greatly reduce the amount of conventional conditioner that I use.

*Rose Red*
January 3rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
I sometimes use shampoo bars, then I do an acid rinse and then I use conditioner additionally. I use the same conditioners like I use after a "normal" shampoo wash. My conditioner are all without cones, because I use natural cosmetics. My shampoo bars are natural, too, for example my aleppo soap (yes, it´s a soap, but you can use it as shampoo, too).

Fractalsofhair
January 3rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
Alaffia if my hair is dry, 365 unscented if not. I've tried VO5s, and they work well.

Neoma
January 3rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Thank you all for your replies. It's so interesting to hear which conditioner everyone is using.

Follow with my current fave conditioner, Hugo Naturals Vanilla & Sweet Orange or Hugo Naturals Red Tea & Ylang Ylang. They both smell lovely!

Oh, Katja, Hugo Naturals is one brand that I've been considering. Do they detangle well?

marikamt
January 3rd, 2010, 02:17 PM
i usually only have to lather once with the shampoo bar and i follow it up with a nice cheapo brand cone free conditioner (this time it's Suave Naturals) OR if i really need the moisture, garnier fructise triple moisture deep conditioner and i leave that sucker in as loooong as i can (and it's also -cone free) :)

This is exactly what I do....... same process and brands.....

No vinegar rinse at all......

I find I really could use just a detangler instead of a conditioner maybe every other wash..... I just haven't gone out and gotten one yet.

Neoma
January 3rd, 2010, 02:37 PM
I just realized that I didn't mention what I do...

I generally shampoo once or twice (depending on the brand) with my poo bar.

Rinse well with tap water.

Condition from roots to tips with a cone-free conditioner. I have used conditioners with cones in the past without any issues. Maybe I'll try again.

I have a ton of different conditioners in the apartment. This morning, I used AO GPB, which is one of my favorites.

After I use up what I have, I'd like to experiment with solid conditioners. I love the idea of not using anything that comes in a plastic bottle for my hair care. I have tried LUSH Jungle, and it didn't work well for me.

Sjirsten
January 3rd, 2010, 02:51 PM
I use one of the Aussie conditioners, without cones:)

Katja
January 3rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Thank you all for your replies. It's so interesting to hear which conditioner everyone is using.

Oh, Katja, Hugo Naturals is one brand that I've been considering. Do they detangle well?

Oh yes, they leave my hair very soft and easy to comb. :)

Neoma
January 3rd, 2010, 02:55 PM
Oh yes, they leave my hair very soft and easy to comb. :)
Thank you, Katja! :flowers:

Locksmith
January 4th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I use Aussie Miracle Moist. :)

Neoma
January 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I use Aussie Miracle Moist. :)
That's interesting, Locksmith. Does it have cones?

HildeMV
January 4th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I vary between cone and no cone. I use shampoo bars, but no vinegar rinse. Just the traditional Shampoo+shampoo+conditioner.

L'oreal, suave and LUSH at the moment

Neoma
January 4th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I vary between cone and no cone. I use shampoo bars, but no vinegar rinse. Just the traditional Shampoo+shampoo+conditioner.

L'oreal, suave and LUSH at the momentThank you for sharing this, HildeMV. It's interesting that you sometimes use a cone conditioner with poo bars. I've done it before with no apparent bad effects, but most folks tend to stick with non-cones.

You've emboldened me to try cones with my poo bars again. :flower:

katana
January 4th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I've been using a sweetcreekherb ppo bar sample. I wash once with the poo bar. Then -
1. Did not over use the poo bar -> conditioner (cheapo Suave conditioner that was on sale - I scooped up about 5 bottles when they went on sale after I discovered poo bars) all over -> pin up hair with corian hair pin from chevelure -> proceed with shower->rinse hair out at the end.
2. Over use poo bar -> hair velcro'ing to itself -> splash with vinegar rinse -> proceed with conditioner, etc, as above.

... prob too much detail. ^^ I'm just happy I bun my hair after putting the conditioner on - made a difference because the body soap was messing with my length and I hadn't realized it, until I stopped doing so.

Neoma
January 4th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I've been using a sweetcreekherb ppo bar sample. I wash once with the poo bar. Then -
1. Did not over use the poo bar -> conditioner (cheapo Suave conditioner that was on sale - I scooped up about 5 bottles when they went on sale after I discovered poo bars) all over -> pin up hair with corian hair pin from chevelure -> proceed with shower->rinse hair out at the end.
2. Over use poo bar -> hair velcro'ing to itself -> splash with vinegar rinse -> proceed with conditioner, etc, as above.

... prob too much detail. ^^ I'm just happy I bun my hair after putting the conditioner on - made a difference because the body soap was messing with my length and I hadn't realized it, until I stopped doing so.
Thank you for sharing your products and techniques with us, katana. :flower: