PDA

View Full Version : Second Incarnation of the Official Hair Idiots Club

Pages : [1] 2

n3m3sis42
April 27th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Hi, I am aware that I'm still a newb, and I hope I am not stepping on any toes here...

But yesterday, I was browsing through the forum archives and found Shiin's Hair Idiots Club Thread. I looked on the "new" forum and couldn't find a new version of it yet, so I thought maybe I should revive it!

I, like many members of the old Hair Idiots Club, grew up a complete tomboy. The last time my hair was around the length it is now, I used two styles and that was it. One was cramming it all into a jaw clip. The other was a ponytail with multiple elastics down the length. I am capable of doing simple 3-strand braids, but I can't wear them outside of the house because it starts looking scary at my nape pretty much immediately. I can also make a standard ponytail, but unless I make it low and let my hair part where it wants to, it just randomly parts on its own and looks like I am greasy or balding... yuck.

Since joining the LHC, I have learned to do a cinnabun, a sock bun, and a Chinese bun. I had to watch videos multiple times over to learn those second two styles. Since the first Chinese bun that I finally managed to get right, I have never been able to make another one that looked quite right. Most of my subsequent attempts have ended up looking like, in the words of members of the old thread, a turd.

For those interested, here is the archived thread:
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62778

Please join! Together we can work toward a brighter tomorrow for our poor hair-challenged selves!

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I never learned either until I joined LHC. All I could do was a basic braid, and one flipped up. Oh and a pony tail, I could master that too. That was it. A bun? What is a bun?

I have since learned a lot, and just today threw my hair do page online on my site. Talk about progress! :lol: What my point is is this: as long as you are stubborn enough you can learn to do anything with your hair. I sure did! Just never give up :)

So.. no longer a hair idiot here, but I sure was one until a year ago!

n3m3sis42
April 27th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I never learned either until I joined LHC. All I could do was a basic braid, and one flipped up. Oh and a pony tail, I could master that too. That was it. A bun? What is a bun?

I have since learned a lot, and just today threw my hair do page online on my site. Talk about progress! :lol: What my point is is this: as long as you are stubborn enough you can learn to do anything with your hair. I sure did! Just never give up :)

So.. no longer a hair idiot here, but I sure was one until a year ago!

This gives me hope! Thank you. :)

Unofficial_Rose
April 27th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Oh, I loved the old Hair Idiots thread, with its motto "Goobering one style at a time". :rollin:

Me and my messy cinnabuns can relate to that. At least I can do a ponytail. Well done me!

amaiaisabella
April 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I can do a ponytail and pigtail braids! And... that's it.

Trust me, I qualify! :)

n3m3sis42
April 27th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Oh, I loved the old Hair Idiots thread, with its motto "Goobering one style at a time". :rollin:

Me and my messy cinnabuns can relate to that. At least I can do a ponytail. Well done me!

I love it, too... so much so that I have now added it to my siggy! Welcome! :)

I can do a ponytail and pigtail braids! And... that's it.

Trust me, I qualify! :)

I'm not really the owner of this club (that honor goes to Shiin, who founded it), but please accept my warmest welcome anyway. :D

mira-chan
April 27th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Another former Hair Idiot here. Still wearing the "turd bun" half the time.

Leisha
April 27th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I am wearing one right now :agree: :o
I have realised (partly thanks to the "X-day hairstyle challenge" ) that I *can* do other styles, but... my daily bun is still a turd bun. It seems me and the turd bun just get along :oops: lol...

blue_nant
April 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Oh I am a member, too. I did JUST a braid for 15 years after flipping a braid upward and pinning it stopped working due to its length.

Then after about the 18th time (in probably 12 or so years), I figured out the French braid. Believe me when I say if I can do it, you can, too, bwahahaha.

Years later, a couple years after I arrived at LHC, I followed some great instructions and a series of pics posted by Daena, and did my first successful (i.e. it stayed up) bun (the infinity) in many many years and fell in love, and my hair stayed up for at least two months in either the braided-first or a twisted-first version. That was last summer.

It's possible, though not probable, that I will learn another style in the upcoming year, lol. I just don't need to. I am so impressed with the infinity, and by my own stellar (cough, choke) abilities ... okay, I am satisfied, mightily satisfied, to get the hairy snake off my neck in the summertime!

It's good enough for a Hair Idiot like moi. Or am I a Hair Lazyperson?? Does it come out to the same thing? ... eh ... sure!

n3m3sis42
April 28th, 2008, 05:15 AM

A lot of my buns turn out to be "turd buns". Welcome! :)

I am wearing one right now :agree: :o
I have realised (partly thanks to the "X-day hairstyle challenge" ) that I *can* do other styles, but... my daily bun is still a turd bun. It seems me and the turd bun just get along :oops: lol...

I'm doing that challenge, too. My cinnabuns turn out to be "turd buns" rather often.

Oh I am a member, too. I did JUST a braid for 15 years after flipping a braid upward and pinning it stopped working due to its length.

Then after about the 18th time (in probably 12 or so years), I figured out the French braid. Believe me when I say if I can do it, you can, too, bwahahaha.

Years later, a couple years after I arrived at LHC, I followed some great instructions and a series of pics posted by Daena, and did my first successful (i.e. it stayed up) bun (the infinity) in many many years and fell in love, and my hair stayed up for at least two months in either the braided-first or a twisted-first version. That was last summer.

It's possible, though not probable, that I will learn another style in the upcoming year, lol. I just don't need to. I am so impressed with the infinity, and by my own stellar (cough, choke) abilities ... okay, I am satisfied, mightily satisfied, to get the hairy snake off my neck in the summertime!

It's good enough for a Hair Idiot like moi. Or am I a Hair Lazyperson?? Does it come out to the same thing? ... eh ... sure!

Hmmm, I can do a French braid on someone else, but not on myself.

I have to admit that I haven't put the most effort into learning new styles. So the Hair Lazyperson tag qualifies for me as well. However, when I do try, it takes me a lot of effort. I have to watch "how-to"" videos multiple times in order to understand what the heck they are doing. :)

Leisha
April 28th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Oh yeah, I am definitely also a Hair Lazyperson. Definitely :oops:
But yeah the result is basically the same. I almost never do anything with my hair other than the turd bun or maybe a braid once in a blue moon.

I joined the "wear hair down challenge" (I'm not doing too great at it at the moment), but maybe I should also do another X-day hairstyle challenge sometime.

Bonny
April 28th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Me! Me! I am definitely a hair idiot. Not that my hair is long enough to do anything with right now, but even when I had longer hair, all I could do was a ponytail. And an anyhow-bun when I went to ballet class (put together with a ponytail elastic, a hairnet, and a zillion hairpins).

Patrycja
April 28th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Count me in.
I cannot do "clean" updos when they look so neat and nice
I mess up every recipe(SMT and Caramel Treatment)I have tried
I still add too much oil but I'm getting much better at that
I break hairsticks
I can feelk my hair ripping and snagging when I use my newest toys(delicate metal hair forks),needless to say-I put them up untill I get better :)

I'm going to add the siggy :)

amaiaisabella
April 28th, 2008, 09:38 AM
So are there any actual styles we can come up with, or are we all destined to live with the dreaded ponytail? ;)

amaiaisabella
April 28th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Added to my sig! :)

Islandgrrl
April 28th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I'm joining the hair idiot club. I thought I was the only ultra-long hair (knee) out there who could only do a cinnamon bun and a braid. It never even occurred to me that I could flip a braid up or turn it into a bun or that there was even more than one kind of bun!!!

I'm not an ultra long hair anymore, but I will be again, and this time I'll definitely do it with more style!!! I can at least do a sock bun now, and a french twist and a sort of lumpy looking weird figure 8.

CalamityCupcake
April 28th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I'm the same way! I grew up with my dad and brother, so hair styling wasn't ever a topic of interest. I'm learning how to do buns first, I think. :D

n3m3sis42
April 28th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I joined the "wear hair down challenge" (I'm not doing too great at it at the moment), but maybe I should also do another X-day hairstyle challenge sometime.

Today was Day 29 for me on the "wear hair up" challenge... except that I have weird cheat-y rules that allow me to wear my hair down on Friday and one weekend day. My main reason for doing the challenge was to make myself wear my hair up at work most of the time, so it seemed okay. But I always feel that posts on that thread are so boring, since I really only know how to do a cinnabun, a Chinese bun, and a sock bun. :)

Me! Me! I am definitely a hair idiot. Not that my hair is long enough to do anything with right now, but even when I had longer hair, all I could do was a ponytail. And an anyhow-bun when I went to ballet class (put together with a ponytail elastic, a hairnet, and a zillion hairpins).

Welcome! :)

Count me in.
I cannot do "clean" updos when they look so neat and nice
I mess up every recipe(SMT and Caramel Treatment)I have tried
I still add too much oil but I'm getting much better at that
I break hairsticks
I can feelk my hair ripping and snagging when I use my newest toys(delicate metal hair forks),needless to say-I put them up untill I get better :)

I'm going to add the siggy :)

Yay and welcome! I have done that oiling-too-much thing several times. I'll put some on and think, "Hmmm, that soaked right in... better add some more." The next thing I know, my hair is dripping with oil and it takes weeks to get it back to normal (all the while trying to disguise the oiliness so people don't think I just don't wash my hair). Heh.

So are there any actual styles we can come up with, or are we all destined to live with the dreaded ponytail? ;)

A sock bun actually turned out to be pretty easy. Do you know that one? If not, below is a link to the page I used to learn it. It took me several tries to get it right, because as we've discussed I am a Hair Idiot. :)

http://www.instructables.com/id/SMLBK4RFBGW87JK/

I'm joining the hair idiot club. I thought I was the only ultra-long hair (knee) out there who could only do a cinnamon bun and a braid. It never even occurred to me that I could flip a braid up or turn it into a bun or that there was even more than one kind of bun!!!

I'm not an ultra long hair anymore, but I will be again, and this time I'll definitely do it with more style!!! I can at least do a sock bun now, and a french twist and a sort of lumpy looking weird figure 8.

Welcome! I'm not an ultra-long hair, but I did have waist length (long but not ultra-long) hair at one point and still couldn't do jack with it. I was so pleased to learn the sock bun! It has the added bonus of making my thin-ish hair look like it actually has enough thickness to make a substantial bun.

I'm the same way! I grew up with my dad and brother, so hair styling wasn't ever a topic of interest. I'm learning how to do buns first, I think. :D

Welcome! Since you are interested in learning buns, I have a link to instructions for an easy-ish bun called the sock bun up higher in this post, if you haven't already tried that one. I saw so many people on here talking about how easy it was that I had to take the plunge and try it. I did have to try it several times before I got it to work, but with practice it was do-able for even a Hair Idiot like me. :)

BrianaFineHair
April 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Can I be a member? My list of qualifications is extensive. Let me just say, when dd was a little girl, she said to me, "Mom, I don't want you to do my hair!"

ok?

Patrycja
April 28th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Can I be a member? My list of qualifications is extensive. Let me just say, when dd was a little girl, she said to me, "Mom, I don't want you to do my hair!"

ok?

LOL :rollin: :laugh:

n3m3sis42
April 28th, 2008, 08:00 PM

ok?

Awwwww... You're in! Welcome! :)

BrianaFineHair
April 28th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Thank you!

She's a sweet kid; just honest, brutally :D

Juli414
April 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I guess I'm a hair idiot, my masterpiece is the 5-second Pebbles: Lean over at your waist, so you can form a ponytail at the top of your head. Twist it, then double it and secure with a scrunchie or other hair tie/elastic. Stand upright. As hair gets longer, you may need to add another "fold".

I guess my main problem is I need a glossary, what's an infinity? A figure 8? A pineapple? Do we have a single thread for styles and names?

n3m3sis42
April 29th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Juli414, welcome!

I haven't tried a Figure 8 bun yet, but here are some instructions that looked like they might be something I could follow:
http://www.instructables.com/id/SF3KREEFBGW87JU/

Let me know how it works out for you. I also posted instructions for a "sock bun" earlier in this thread if that helps. I haven't found a single thread for all updos, although I've learned a little bit just from joining the "Wear hair up for a month/few months/year challenge" and looking up instructions for the different styles people say they are wearing. That's how I learned to do a sock bun and a Chinese bun.

The "turd bun" still ends up being my style of choice (accidentally) about half the time, though. :)

amaiaisabella
April 29th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I have learned the sock bun, but either my socks are defective or my hair is too fine, because I can always see the sock hiding in the bun! Boo :(

BUT here is my first successful attempt at a French Twist! I knew you all would be proud :)

edit* Okay, the picture isn't working, but I just added an album and it's in there!

amaiaisabella
April 29th, 2008, 06:43 AM
By the way, what the heck is a turd bun? Several possibilities run through my mind...

n3m3sis42
April 29th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I have learned the sock bun, but either my socks are defective or my hair is too fine, because I can always see the sock hiding in the bun! Boo :(

BUT here is my first successful attempt at a French Twist! I knew you all would be proud :)

edit* Okay, the picture isn't working, but I just added an album and it's in there!

I always use a black sock so that it's not obvious if a bit of the sock shows through my (thinnish) hair. It helps a lot. Also, my sock is a men's dress sock, which is on the thin side and therefore easier for my hair to cover.

I'm impressed that you can do a French twist, because I have no clue how to do one. Apparently, I am a Forum Idiot in addition to a Hair Idiot. Where do I go to see your album?

By the way, what the heck is a turd bun? Several possibilities run through my mind...

At least for me, a turd bun is a bun that was intended to be something else (such as a cinnabun or a Chinese bun, since those are really the only 2 buns I can do besides a sock bun), but ends up looking like a giant turd on the back of my head. :)

amaiaisabella
April 29th, 2008, 10:25 AM
n3m3sis42, if you go to my page, on the right side there should be a link to my album. I called it Hair Obsession :)

It's the first time I managed to get my hair to resemble anything smooth and sleek- usually everything falls out within an hour! 3 hours later, and it's holding strong, but for a few wisps :)

Periwinkle
April 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Mememememe! Today, I wore my hair out of the house in a style other than a boring ponytail for the first time in...uh...eight years? Nine?

It was a French braid, and I took it out after two hours =[

Leisha
April 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM
At least for me, a turd bun is a bun that was intended to be something else (such as a cinnabun or a Chinese bun, since those are really the only 2 buns I can do besides a sock bun), but ends up looking like a giant turd on the back of my head. :)
Yup that's basically it :gabigrin:
For years I thought my daily bun was a cinnabun, until I looked at it properly (I'd never really seen it before, with it being on the back of my head and all), and turns out it actually isn't. It is a turd bun :ponder: :shrug: :o

Aisha25
April 29th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Totall hair idiot here.I can do simple braid,my bun is ok but always falls down so dont do that anymore.Trying to see if I can learn rope braid from LHC but I don't think I can.Glad to be part of this group!:)

MeganS
April 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I should join this club, as well. I can do a basic braid, which (if I have pins) I can turn into a bun (is that a cinnamon bun?). That, plus a ponytail, is about the limit of my skills. When my mom asked me how I wanted to do my hair for my wedding, I said, "Down, because it's the only style I know I can do myself with next to no difficulty." :D

Hella
April 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM
The "turd bun" is my one and only bun. But I wear it every day with pride.

I definitely belong to this club. When it comes to styling my hair, I seem to have both my thumb in the middle of my palm and zero patience with getting the styles right. So, I always go back to the good ol' comfy turd bun. Not that I mind too much, but sometimes I feel like missing out on something, when many can and I just can't.

n3m3sis42
April 29th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Mememememe! Today, I wore my hair out of the house in a style other than a boring ponytail for the first time in...uh...eight years? Nine?

It was a French braid, and I took it out after two hours =[

Welcome, Periwinkle!

I'm just impressed that you can do a decent French braid. I understand the concepts involved with doing one, and I've done one on someone else before (although the last time was probably when I was in high school). I can't do a decent French braid on myself to save my life. :?

Yup that's basically it :gabigrin:
For years I thought my daily bun was a cinnabun, until I looked at it properly (I'd never really seen it before, with it being on the back of my head and all), and turns out it actually isn't. It is a turd bun :ponder: :shrug: :o

I have this little mirror, and I use it to look at the back of my head so I can see if my bun looks too horrible. My cinnabuns actually sometimes manage to look at least somewhat cinnamonlike, but almost all of my Chinese buns are really turd buns. :lipssealed:

Totall hair idiot here.I can do simple braid,my bun is ok but always falls down so dont do that anymore.Trying to see if I can learn rope braid from LHC but I don't think I can.Glad to be part of this group!:)

Welcome, Aisha25!

If you manage to learn the rope braid, let us know! Maybe we can all learn together.

I should join this club, as well. I can do a basic braid, which (if I have pins) I can turn into a bun (is that a cinnamon bun?). That, plus a ponytail, is about the limit of my skills. When my mom asked me how I wanted to do my hair for my wedding, I said, "Down, because it's the only style I know I can do myself with next to no difficulty." :D

Welcome, MeganS!

A cinnabun is basically just taking a ponytail, twisting it down the length, and wrapping it around the base of your ponytail so that each new coil goes around the outside of the one you made before it. I think that if you "stack" each coil on top of the previous one then it's called a "bee butt bun"... but I haven't tried to make one of those yet because it seems like the sort of thing that would be destined to become a turd bun immediately on me. :)

So maybe what you are doing is a "braided cinnabun"?

The "turd bun" is my one and only bun. But I wear it every day with pride.

I definitely belong to this club. When it comes to styling my hair, I seem to have both my thumb in the middle of my palm and zero patience with getting the styles right. So, I always go back to the good ol' comfy turd bun. Not that I mind too much, but sometimes I feel like missing out on something, when many can and I just can't.

Welcome, Hella!

I know what you mean. It seems to be so easy for a lot of people on here to just throw their hair up into any number of styles. With me, on the other hand, even with the extremely simple styles that I'm limited to so far, it often takes me 3 or 4 tries in the morning before I end up with something that seems presentable *and* actually stays. :shrug:

Patrycja
April 29th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I have a question-how in the world does one make a rope braid without it becoming unraveled some when putting the band on at the end?
I tried to do low pigs tails today with the tails done rope-braided style and they came unravelved when I but the elastic on the ends.

I held it tightly too during the entire time!

I ended up putting my hair in a lower ponytail,held by band,and putting a slide over that.I cheated.

Alaskanheart
April 29th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Can I be a member too?

I can do a pony, and clip my bangs up to make a pouf.

I think I can do a regular braid, but Id have to dig deep into my memory, a french braid is half assed and not to be seen in public with.My sig is a one time accomplishment, and it still isnt very good:shrug:

I think The "turd" bun describes very well what I do with my hair at night, but the kind with twigs sticking out.

"Goobering one style at a time " LMAO,:lol:

Im glad im not the only one lost when I see post that say , infinity, cinnabun, rope braid.etc

n3m3sis42
April 30th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Can I be a member too?

I can do a pony, and clip my bangs up to make a pouf.

I think I can do a regular braid, but Id have to dig deep into my memory, a french braid is half assed and not to be seen in public with.My sig is a one time accomplishment, and it still isnt very good:shrug:

I think The "turd" bun describes very well what I do with my hair at night, but the kind with twigs sticking out.

"Goobering one style at a time " LMAO,:lol:

Im glad im not the only one lost when I see post that say , infinity, cinnabun, rope braid.etc

Welcome, Alaskanheart!

The slogan "Goobering one style at a time" was borrowed/stolen from the first incarnation of this club, which was created by Shiin. I think it's pretty awesome. :)

You are not the only one lost... I have been watching videos on how to do a "log roll" and an "infinity bun" for the past several weeks, and I am still too scared/confused to actually attempt either one, I think.

n3m3sis42
April 30th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I have a question-how in the world does one make a rope braid without it becoming unraveled some when putting the band on at the end?
I tried to do low pigs tails today with the tails done rope-braided style and they came unravelved when I but the elastic on the ends.

I held it tightly too during the entire time!

I ended up putting my hair in a lower ponytail,held by band,and putting a slide over that.I cheated.

I'd be really interested in hearing the answer to this question, too. I was thinking the other day that my hair would untwist itself in about half a second if I tried to do this style.

amaiaisabella
April 30th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I was able to recreate the french twist with my fake Ficcare today! :) This one stayed pretty good- I think it is going to become my new favorite (since it's the only style I can do *rolls eyes*)

n3m3sis42
April 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I was able to recreate the french twist with my fake Ficcare today! :) This one stayed pretty good- I think it is going to become my new favorite (since it's the only style I can do *rolls eyes*)

Yay! I'm proud of you. :)

Today, I did a turd bun. It was supposed to be a cinnabun, but that's not exactly how it worked out.

Despite that, it was actually an accomplishment of sorts. I normally pull my hair back into a ponytail and secure it with an elastic before making any bun, because otherwise it usually falls down entirely within minutes. Today, I managed a bun with only hairsticks and no elastic... and it stayed up for most of the day (about an hour ago, the ends started unraveling but it's still "up")

amaiaisabella
April 30th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Yay! I'm proud of you. :)

Today, I did a turd bun. It was supposed to be a cinnabun, but that's not exactly how it worked out.

Despite that, it was actually an accomplishment of sorts. I normally pull my hair back into a ponytail and secure it with an elastic before making any bun, because otherwise it usually falls down entirely within minutes. Today, I managed a bun with only hairsticks and no elastic... and it stayed up for most of the day (about an hour ago, the ends started unraveling but it's still "up")

Hot stuff! *claps* That's progress! Although I have to admit it gets frustrating to fix it over and over again until it is exaaaactly right... or I'm just OCD :D

Patrycja
April 30th, 2008, 07:47 PM
yea!!!! I haven't tried a Turd bun yet.I did try a french twist and have it held with a slide but...nope.

amaiaisabella
April 30th, 2008, 07:56 PM
ilovemycop, did you try the twist with a ficcare? I used my fake one and it held like a dream :)

trolleypup
April 30th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Oh yes, Hair Idiot here. I can do a cheater's braid (ponytail that is braided), in about 4 tries I can do a standard braid (so it does put all of it's weight on 4 strands on hair), some sort of sloppy bee butt bun, a two strand rope braid (if I don't mind my arms being sore for a day), a sock bun, and my everyday standard lazy 8 bun.

And that is after two years here.

The trick with the rope braids is each strand has to be twisted a particular way...it is the twisting of the strands that keeps it together. If you follow the directions exactly, and your arms don't fall off, it can work.

n3m3sis42
May 1st, 2008, 04:18 AM
Oh yes, Hair Idiot here. I can do a cheater's braid (ponytail that is braided), in about 4 tries I can do a standard braid (so it does put all of it's weight on 4 strands on hair), some sort of sloppy bee butt bun, a two strand rope braid (if I don't mind my arms being sore for a day), a sock bun, and my everyday standard lazy 8 bun.

And that is after two years here.

The trick with the rope braids is each strand has to be twisted a particular way...it is the twisting of the strands that keeps it together. If you follow the directions exactly, and your arms don't fall off, it can work.

Hi, and welcome! :)

Sometimes I have trouble with even the darn sock bun, because I can't figure out how to conceal the rest of my hair that's not in the bun part (I usually twist it, wrap it around the bun and then try to hide it under a scrunchie). If my hair were thick like yours, I think there would be real problems.

I'm trying to learn how to do a Y-part with a standard braid so that it doesn't get all scary at the top. So far, still needs work.

trolleypup
May 1st, 2008, 08:24 AM
Sometimes I have trouble with even the darn sock bun, because I can't figure out how to conceal the rest of my hair that's not in the bun part (I usually twist it, wrap it around the bun and then try to hide it under a scrunchie). If my hair were thick like yours, I think there would be real problems.
When I've done a sock bun, usually I just leave the excess down...so a sock bun half up is what I end up with.

ladystar
May 1st, 2008, 08:49 AM
Idiot here!!! lol But learning

amaiaisabella
May 1st, 2008, 09:35 AM
What I have noticed is that when I put up my hair with my clip or a fork, it doesn't give me the same throbbing headache I get with a ponytail. Did anyone else have this problem? It definitely gives me more incentive to learn some other updos!

Millielie
May 1st, 2008, 09:56 AM

I wish I could see the photo but I can't find it. Perhaps I need to be your friend for seeing the album?

I tried doing the sockbun today but the hair doesn't cover up the whole sock though I have thick hair :shrug: Perhaps my hair is still too layered and short? I don't know.

amaiaisabella
May 1st, 2008, 10:07 AM
I probably set it up that way! I will add you :)

Millielie
May 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM
Hey thanks :)
The French Twist looks great! I hope that I'll be able to do one soon, too. :D

I think I have to take some hair pics...

amaiaisabella
May 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks :) I was pretty proud of it, too! My hair is still short so it's nice to be able to do SOMETHING with it.

Definitely take some pics and we will see what we can come up with!

Millielie
May 1st, 2008, 11:21 AM
Yes, I will definitively take some pics, but I don't know where my cam is (I moved and some things are still left in the packing cases). I could use my mobile phone for taking pics.

My hair is similar to yours, just a little bit shorter (straight and dark, too). :)
I can't do anything with it except of a ponytail and a messy peacock twist.

amaiaisabella
May 1st, 2008, 11:25 AM
The only thing I can sort of manage to make a ponytail look nicer is to take a piece from the bottom of the ponytail and wrap it around to disguise the hair tie. My hair is still short though so it doesn't really do a full wrap :( But still a cool concept and I'm going to use it once I start working full-time!

n3m3sis42
May 1st, 2008, 05:28 PM
When I've done a sock bun, usually I just leave the excess down...so a sock bun half up is what I end up with.

Ah, I see. I think my hair is too thin and fine to do that and make it look right... it just looks weird on me.

Idiot here!!! lol But learning

Hi and welcome!

What I have noticed is that when I put up my hair with my clip or a fork, it doesn't give me the same throbbing headache I get with a ponytail. Did anyone else have this problem? It definitely gives me more incentive to learn some other updos!

I don't get headaches, but I do get this weird issue where my hair starts parting at my natural part even though I've combed it straight back. It happens more when it's coming close to wash time, but it seems to happen somewhat no matter how clean it is. I think it's just that my ponytail is getting heavier or something. But it looks weird (like I am balding or greasy), so I have to either part it on purpose and do a low ponytail or learn updos!

I wish I could see the photo but I can't find it. Perhaps I need to be your friend for seeing the album?

I tried doing the sockbun today but the hair doesn't cover up the whole sock though I have thick hair :shrug: Perhaps my hair is still too layered and short? I don't know.

I sometimes have to try quite a few times before I can get it to look right. But my hair isn't really very thick at all. I use a dark, thin dress sock so there is less of it to cover and it's less obvious if there is a gap.

Millielie
May 6th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I sometimes have to try quite a few times before I can get it to look right. But my hair isn't really very thick at all. I use a dark, thin dress sock so there is less of it to cover and it's less obvious if there is a gap.

It seems that I have to buy some socks :D

I recently took a pic of my messy updo. It's in my album. As you can see, my hair is still too short to manage anything else. :shrug:

n3m3sis42
May 6th, 2008, 07:14 AM
It seems that I have to buy some socks :D

I recently took a pic of my messy updo. It's in my album. As you can see, my hair is still too short to manage anything else. :shrug:

Millielie, I think your peacock twist looks nice! :)

I've added a new profile pic, a hair pic from the weekend.

It definitely deserves mention on this thread because it was a Hair Idiot moment for sure! I have this hair slide (worn in the picture) that I bought at the RenFaire last year. I have tried and tried to get it in my hair, but I always mess it up. This year, I went to the RenFaire and had the lady who sold it to me put it in. She showed my husband how to do it, so hopefully he'll have better luck than I have.

Millielie
May 6th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Thank you. It's nothing that I would wear outside , but I think it's ok for the beginning.

Your profile pic is pretty cool. Are that little sculls? :eye:

amaiaisabella
May 6th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Has anybody tried any styles with forks yet? I was going to try my french twist with it, but I'm not sure if it will work :confused:

n3m3sis42
May 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Thank you. It's nothing that I would wear outside , but I think it's ok for the beginning.

Your profile pic is pretty cool. Are that little sculls? :eye:

Thank you! They are little skulls, yes. :)

n3m3sis42
May 6th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Has anybody tried any styles with forks yet? I was going to try my french twist with it, but I'm not sure if it will work :confused:

amaiaisabella, I have a fork on order. I've never used one before, so this should be interesting. We can learn together! :)

aprilmay
May 6th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I have had long hair pretty much my entire life. I had a toy as a girl that had long yarn hair and that was how I learned to braid. I still can't do a French braid, French twist or most of the fancy dos. I can do a twisty bun, pony, and pony braid. Advice wanted!

n3m3sis42
May 6th, 2008, 07:02 PM
aprilmay, I learned how to braid on a doll with yarn hair. And then later I would braid the tails on my "My Little Pony" toys. :)

You guys, I have an idea. Maybe we could have a weekly or monthly "Hair Idiots' Challenge" where we all pick one style and learn how to do it? If it's a style you actually already know how to do, then you can practice making it look nicer or getting it to work in fewer tries. We could post pics of our successes and/or failures and give each other support and tips.

What do you all think? The only thing I'm not sure about is how we would decide what style to use. Suggestions, anyone?

(Personally, I sort of want to learn a French twist, because a lot of people seem to know how to do it, but I haven't the first clue.)

Nynaeve
May 6th, 2008, 07:28 PM
(Personally, I sort of want to learn a French twist, because a lot of people seem to know how to do it, but I haven't the first clue.)

I have been trying to do a french twist for a long time now, and I've tried so many different ways, all kinds of instructions. I just seem to fail at it. Maybe my current length isn't conducive to it. I've even tried the "long hair" instructions. Oh well :(

n3m3sis42
May 6th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I have been trying to do a french twist for a long time now, and I've tried so many different ways, all kinds of instructions. I just seem to fail at it. Maybe my current length isn't conducive to it. I've even tried the "long hair" instructions. Oh well :(

Hmmm, maybe if we *do* have a weekly or monthly challenge, we should come up with at least one alternate style so that people aren't inhibited by length (or lack thereof)?

n3m3sis42
May 7th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I've been trying to learn a new way of braiding for the past few nights... it's Dianyla's English Braiding Technique (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652).

I'm still working on getting my hair to part correctly, but I've seen a lot of improvement in my braid from using a Y-part. One problem I've always had with braids (unless I put my hair in a ponytail and then braid that) is that the top part of the braid (at my nape) gets all scary-looking. The Y-part helps with this, when I actually get it right. It also helps with getting a more even braid. :D

Bonny
May 7th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I've been trying to learn a new way of braiding for the past few nights... it's Dianyla's English Braiding Technique (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652).:D

Thanks for that link! I remember reading that a while ago, when I first joined LHC, but I kept forgetting to search for it again.

Of course, my hair won't be long enough to braid for some time, but it's good to have something to inspire me. Isn't it amazing how Dianyla can braid her hair and take pictures at the same time?

n3m3sis42
May 7th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Isn't it amazing how Dianyla can braid her hair and take pictures at the same time?

Yes, it really is amazing. I can't take hair pictures very well, regardless of what else I'm doing (or not doing).

Nynaeve
May 7th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Hmmm, maybe if we *do* have a weekly or monthly challenge, we should come up with at least one alternate style so that people aren't inhibited by length (or lack thereof)?

That would probably be a good idea. That or try to get sets of directions for different lengths, if available. If we have directions. :D

amaiaisabella
May 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I would love to do a monthly challenge, though I'm not sure what styles I could do since my hair is still so short :(

n3m3sis42, I'm glad you ordered a fork too! Mine is beautiful but I can't figure anything to do with it yet. I think I'm going to try a sock bun with a men's sock like you suggested, and see if I can use the fork as decoration :)

aprilmay
May 7th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I have never had success with a French Twist. I wanted to wear my hair in one for prom in high school. I had a consultation with a hair dresser and then returned on prom day. She couldn't put my hair in a French twist so I ended up paying her to put my hair in a bun! Insanely enough, I wanted my hair in a French twist for my wedding (new hair dresser) and he was successful with a mountain of mousse. My hair could stay up even after taking all the bobby pins out! That was 10 years ago, my hair is probably longer now and I still can't do a French twist. A customer tried to show me how to do a French roll and my rings just end up getting caught in my hair.

A hair challenge would be fun and educational!

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I would love to do a monthly challenge, though I'm not sure what styles I could do since my hair is still so short :(

n3m3sis42, I'm glad you ordered a fork too! Mine is beautiful but I can't figure anything to do with it yet. I think I'm going to try a sock bun with a men's sock like you suggested, and see if I can use the fork as decoration :)

Do it, then you can have a super awesome bun like Aprilmay's avatar. :P

n3m3sis42
May 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM

amaiaisabella, maybe we could have more than one updo for each monthly challenge, one for "shorter" hair and one for "longer" hair?

I did a sock bun and used a comb as a decoration one time, so I bet you could do that with a hair fork, too. Good idea! :)

I have never had success with a French Twist. I wanted to wear my hair in one for prom in high school. I had a consultation with a hair dresser and then returned on prom day. She couldn't put my hair in a French twist so I ended up paying her to put my hair in a bun! Insanely enough, I wanted my hair in a French twist for my wedding (new hair dresser) and he was successful with a mountain of mousse. My hair could stay up even after taking all the bobby pins out! That was 10 years ago, my hair is probably longer now and I still can't do a French twist. A customer tried to show me how to do a French roll and my rings just end up getting caught in my hair.

A hair challenge would be fun and educational!

aprilmay, that sucks so badly about the prom hairdo! I would have been so mad about paying for a bun. :\

n3m3sis42
May 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM
About the Monthly Hair Challenge...

It sounds like at least a few people would be interested in doing this. I'm thinking maybe we could have a couple of "challenge" styles each month, one for "shorter" hair and one for "longer" hair (my hair is at a lovely in-between length so your guess is as good as mine as to which styles I should be choosing).

Since we're already a little over a week into May, maybe the first monthly challenge should start on June 1st? I'd like to pick updos that a lot of us want to learn. So between now and June 1st, it would be awesome if you all could PM me with at least one updo you are interested in learning. I'll let you all know near the end of the month what styles have been suggested and we can talk more to come up with 2 to use in the challenge.

What do you think?

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 04:39 PM
aprilmay, that sucks so badly about the prom hairdo! I would have been so mad about paying for a bun. :\

Very much agreed. :(

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 04:40 PM
About the Monthly Hair Challenge...

It sounds like at least a few people would be interested in doing this. I'm thinking maybe we could have a couple of "challenge" styles each month, one for "shorter" hair and one for "longer" hair (my hair is at a lovely in-between length so your guess is as good as mine as to which styles I should be choosing).

Since we're already a little over a week into May, maybe the first monthly challenge should start on June 1st? I'd like to pick updos that a lot of us want to learn. So between now and June 1st, it would be awesome if you all could PM me with at least one updo you are interested in learning. I'll let you all know near the end of the month what styles have been suggested and we can talk more to come up with 2 to use in the challenge.

What do you think?

Sounds good to me.
I'll be out of town from the 20th to the 31st, so I won't be on much to help with ideas. :(

amaiaisabella
May 8th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Okay, so let's try to think up some styles we can do for the month. Most of us can do a sock bun, right? So that might be up for consideration. :)

Another style is a topsy tail, but I personally think those look ridiculous on me :(

I like low pigtail braids on me, but not everyone might like those.

How do those sound?

aprilmay
May 9th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Nynaeve, thanks for the compliments about my bun. I don't know what style it is and it doesn't always look this good, but it is pretty easy to do. I can hold a loose one with a double wrapped elastic. The bun in my avatar is held with a 5? prong comb my husband made. I can also make this bun with my 2 prong wooden hair fork and my 4 prong metal comb.

Directions: Grab hair like you are putting it in a high pony tail, start twisting the length of it and wrap it around the pony base, tuck the end of the tail under the edge of the bun you have made. Then take your fork or comb and slide it into the top or side of the bun closest to your scalp and push the comb along your scalp under the bun (make sure you are holding the end of your hair into the bun at the same time) gently pull the comb so it grabs the other side of the bun then slide the tines through the hair that is smooth against your scalp to anchor the bun to your hair.

I hope these make sense. This is the only total updo I can manage other than a pony braid bun held with an elastic or scrunchy. Feel free to ask questions. This should work with hair long enough to pull into a pony and without layers. Please let me know if this is helpful or confusing! :)

aprilmay
May 9th, 2008, 10:34 AM
n3m3sis42 and Nynaeve, thanks for the consolation about prom. Good thing it was 16 years ago! And that I had success for my wedding day. :)

Rennie
May 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Please don't laugh, but all I can manage to do to my hair is put it in a pony tail! I used to have hair sticks but I just couldn't get it right, and well my kids broke them ;). I know how to braid and can braid my daughters hair wicked.. mine.. oh no not at all!!:shrug: I hope to learn alot here as my hair grows...and grows.. and grows!!

amaiaisabella
May 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Your hair is beautiful Rennie! Hopefully we can all figure out new styles together :)

n3m3sis42
May 9th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Sounds good to me.
I'll be out of town from the 20th to the 31st, so I won't be on much to help with ideas. :(

It's okay, hopefully you will be able to participate! :)

Okay, so let's try to think up some styles we can do for the month. Most of us can do a sock bun, right? So that might be up for consideration. :)

Another style is a topsy tail, but I personally think those look ridiculous on me :(

I like low pigtail braids on me, but not everyone might like those.

How do those sound?

I think a sock bun might be good... I think I'm going to get a list of suggestions and have people vote or something.

I don't really know what a topsy tail is, but I will look it up. And I like low pigtail braids on me too, but I wonder how many other people like wearing them. We can always add it to the list of potential styles and let the group decide.

Thanks for making suggestions! :)

Please don't laugh, but all I can manage to do to my hair is put it in a pony tail! I used to have hair sticks but I just couldn't get it right, and well my kids broke them ;). I know how to braid and can braid my daughters hair wicked.. mine.. oh no not at all!!:shrug: I hope to learn alot here as my hair grows...and grows.. and grows!!

I wouldn't dare laugh at you. It's not like I can do much more than that. Are there any particular updos or styles you want to learn? Maybe we can add them to the list of potential styles for the monthly challenge!

RavennaNight
May 10th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Hello! I've been reading the thread & Hair Idiots Club is for me. All I've ever tried to do are ponytails which hurt after a while and pigtail braids which get messy at the nape. I tried a sock bun yesterday for the first time. I thought I was sucessful but I was showing sock.:o I don't know how to use hair sticks except cramming them between my head and the elastic purely for aesthetics. They are supposed to hold your hair in place on their own, right? :confused: And what does one do with the leftover hair that hangs out around the sock bun? Do we braid it? Twist it around the bun? Let it hang down? It got fluffy looking and too short looking to hang there. What's a turd bun? It sounds funny. Sorry if I can't post pictures.:confused: I havent figured out how to do that from my device. I'm not on a traditional computer.

n3m3sis42
May 10th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Hello! I've been reading the thread & Hair Idiots Club is for me. All I've ever tried to do are ponytails which hurt after a while and pigtail braids which get messy at the nape. I tried a sock bun yesterday for the first time. I thought I was sucessful but I was showing sock.:o I don't know how to use hair sticks except cramming them between my head and the elastic purely for aesthetics. They are supposed to hold your hair in place on their own, right? :confused: And what does one do with the leftover hair that hangs out around the sock bun? Do we braid it? Twist it around the bun? Let it hang down? It got fluffy looking and too short looking to hang there. What's a turd bun? It sounds funny. Sorry if I can't post pictures.:confused: I havent figured out how to do that from my device. I'm not on a traditional computer.

Hi, RavennaNight, and welcome! :)

I am a huge advocate of the sock bun, because it's pretty easy to learn and because I have hair that is both thin and fine and a sock bun is really the only way that I can get my "Can I Call This Waist?"-length hair to make a bun that isn't sort of, well, sad and tiny. I'm a complete hair moron *and* I have thin hair, so I find that my sock is frequently coming through a little bit. My solution to that is to use a thinner sock (like a dress sock) to minimize the gaps, and to use a sock that's closer to my hair color (I have dark brown henna'ed hair, and a black sock seems good enough for me).

As for the ends, I can't leave mine hanging down, either. I think that works better for people with thicker hair, but I'm not sure. I usually secure the bun with a scrunchie first, then twist the ends and wrap them around the base of the bun. Once they are wrapped all the way around, I carefully tuck the wrapped part under the scrunchie.

I can get hair sticks to hold my bun together, but I have a hard time doing secure buns that look like anything but a giant messy blob unless I pull my hair back into a ponytail with an elastic first before making the bun. Oh, and a turd bun is basically the aforementioned "giant messy blob". :)

n3m3sis42
May 10th, 2008, 07:17 AM
More about the infamous Sock Bun...

I found this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=36) by angelthadiva about sock bun variations (aka what to do with the ends). I thought it might be helpful. Of course, just twisting the ends and wrapping them around the bun and then hiding them under a scrunchie works, too. But I'm thinking I need to try the English braid variation sometime.

amaiaisabella suggested the sock bun (among other things) as a potential style for our June monthly challenge. I think it would work as a "shorter style" because you don't necessarily need superlong hair to do it.

What do you all think?

MeganS
May 10th, 2008, 09:07 AM
What exactly is a sock bun? That article gives directions on using a sock bun (homemade hairtoy, I guess?), but I'm still not sure about what the actual article is.

Nynaeve
May 10th, 2008, 09:50 AM
What exactly is a sock bun? That article gives directions on using a sock bun (homemade hairtoy, I guess?), but I'm still not sure about what the actual article is.

You can use a circular bun foam thing from a hair store like sally's, but most people don't like having to buy them, so they actually use a clean sock made into a similar shape and size. Of course, I've never done a sock bun, so I can't tell you much more than that. :P

You wrap your hair around it as per the article, is there an article up now or i it in the archives? hmm, I'll have to peruse.

n3m3sis42
May 10th, 2008, 09:57 AM

MeganS, I agree that the article doesn't really explain what a "sock bun" thingy is. I just like it for the interesting ideas about what to do with the ends. :)

This is a link to the instructions I used to learn the sock bun originally:

http://www.instructables.com/id/SMLBK4RFBGW87JK/

It explains the making of the sock thingy a little better. You basically just cut the toe off of a (clean) sock and then roll it into a doughnut shape.

n3m3sis42
May 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM
You wrap your hair around it as per the article, is there an article up now or i it in the archives? hmm, I'll have to peruse.

Nynaeve, that article I linked to was from the current "Articles" section. It has neat ideas for variations and examples of pretty adornments for sock buns, but not much general info on plain sock buns.

For general (and more complete) instructions on making a standard sock bun, I like the Instructables article I just posted a minute ago.

MeganS
May 10th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks! Off to peruse. :)

amaiaisabella
May 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I'm glad that the sock bun seems to be have been well received. :) I'm going to try it with the fork to decorate tomorrow night, and I will take a picture and report back!

n3m3sis42
May 10th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'm glad that the sock bun seems to be have been well received. :) I'm going to try it with the fork to decorate tomorrow night, and I will take a picture and report back!

Yay!!! I can't wait to see a picture!

I have exciting news as well... sort of. The good news is that I bought a Ficcare Maximas because I was at the mall and they sell them in Nordstrom's. The bad news is that the only thing I know how to do with it so far is a big turd thingy. ;-)

amaiaisabella
May 10th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Oooh that is exciting! Was it super expensive? I have the fake one that I got at Target but I'm not sure how much different it is from the real thing.

Nynaeve
May 10th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Yay!!! I can't wait to see a picture!

I have exciting news as well... sort of. The good news is that I bought a Ficcare Maximas because I was at the mall and they sell them in Nordstrom's. The bad news is that the only thing I know how to do with it so far is a big turd thingy. ;-)

Lol, I like your explanation of the hairstyle. :P

I have always wanted a real ficcare, but have been afraid to spend so much on a single hairtoy, especially since I already spent so much on my special fork.

n3m3sis42
May 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Oooh that is exciting! Was it super expensive? I have the fake one that I got at Target but I'm not sure how much different it is from the real thing.

It was $40, which I guess is pretty expensive. I'm sorta desensitized, though, because I like to spend a lot of money on BPAL perfumes at times. :)

amaiaisabella
May 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM
What are BPAL perfumes? I hear mention of them all the time on this site.

Nynaeve
May 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM
It was $40, which I guess is pretty expensive. I'm sorta desensitized, though, because I like to spend a lot of money on BPAL perfumes at times. :)

Haha. If I had money, I wouldn't mind spending so much on hairtoys, and I'd probably order some BPALs :P (and some other stuff but still)

blue_nant
May 10th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Google for Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and you'll find a rather goth website and a very detailed and diverse group of descriptions of various perfumes "We specialize in formulating body and household blends with a dark, romantic Gothic tone. "

Go sometime when you have ample time *giggle* It's interesting! And the scents are NEAT!

aprilmay
May 10th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Rennie, if you can put your hair in a pony tail, then secure it with an elastic, twist the hair hanging out of your pony, wrap it around the base of your pony, and then tuck the end under the elastic, you will hopefully have a loose bun.

I hear you about the kids breaking things. My 3 year old daughter can now reach all surfaces in our household. She is on my lap right now! :)

n3m3sis42
May 11th, 2008, 06:55 AM
A general note on my new Ficcare Maximas:

I'm not sure yet how to best use it, but I did manage to get it into a Cinnabun last night. The hold was freaking amazing, so I
am starting to understand all the hype surrounding these little clips. :)

Lol, I like your explanation of the hairstyle. :P

I have always wanted a real ficcare, but have been afraid to spend so much on a single hairtoy, especially since I already spent so much on my special fork.

Hehe, thanks. :)

I totally stole the "turd bun" term from the original Hair Idiots Club thread (on the old forum). It's just such an apt description!

I will second blue_nant's comment... BPAL is a less mainstream perfume company that uses more natural ingredients than your average perfume. It tends to attract people of a gothy, geeky, or fantasy-loving mindset. BPAL has a huge variety of scents and that can be kinda overwhelming. But it is AWESOME. :)

Haha. If I had money, I wouldn't mind spending so much on hairtoys, and I'd probably order some BPALs :P (and some other stuff but still)

BPAL isn't overly expensive per bottle, but it adds up FAST because there are so many different fragrances and they are always coming out with new limited edition ones. I had to stop buying it for a while because I need to (a) go through what I have and figure out what stuff I should be swapping and (b) use my money for something besides perfume for a while. Like hair toys. ;-)

Google for Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and you'll find a rather goth website and a very detailed and diverse group of descriptions of various perfumes "We specialize in formulating body and household blends with a dark, romantic Gothic tone. "

Go sometime when you have ample time *giggle* It's interesting! And the scents are NEAT!

I love BPAL. :)

amaiaisabella
May 11th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Sounds interesting. I was at Whole Foods and they were handing out samples of more natural perfumes, but I didn't have a chance to grab some. :(

amaiaisabella
May 11th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Drumroll please! Here is my sock bun with the men's sock like n3m3sis42 suggested, and with the added decorations of my leaf stick and Baerreis fork :)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z20/amaiai64/leaf.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z20/amaiai64/stick.jpg

aprilmay
May 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I have never made a sock bun. And don't know if I will actually attempt it. I have difficulty finding time to look at directions.

amaiaisabella, that looks great!

n3m3sis42
May 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Drumroll please! Here is my sock bun with the men's sock like n3m3sis42 suggested, and with the added decorations of my leaf stick and Baerreis fork :)

amaiaisabella, that looks gorgeous! :)

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM

OOOooo That looks great! And I absolutely love that leaf fork!

aprilmay
May 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
amaiaisabella, What is the leaf fork made of? It looks great! :)

amaiaisabella
May 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM
The leaf fork is made out of mother of pearl! I purchased it from the lovely Rain :)

aprilmay
May 11th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Wow, that is really cool! I never would have guessed Mother of Pearl.

amaiaisabella
May 11th, 2008, 04:19 PM
It's so pretty! It's really tiny so it's more of a decoration than actually holding anything up :) I was lucky to score it.

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Wow, I wouldn't have guessed mother of pearl either, probably horn or more likely bone, but it is so lovely. I love anything with leaves, or even twigs (which is probably why I actually like Mignon Faget's stuff), but mainly leaves, because I love trees and I love nature. :)

ETA: Forgot to add that it looks so lovely in your hair. :)

amaiaisabella
May 11th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Thank you :) The only problem is (you can't see it from the pictures) that when I put the second tie in my hair after wrapping it around the sock bun, the bun really protrudes from the rest of my head. It looks like a second head or something! Very weird. I'm considering adding some pins to "stick it" better to my head.

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Thank you :) The only problem is (you can't see it from the pictures) that when I put the second tie in my hair after wrapping it around the sock bun, the bun really protrudes from the rest of my head. It looks like a second head or something! Very weird. I'm considering adding some pins to "stick it" better to my head.

Hmmm, like is there a space between the bun and your head or is it connected but looks like a huge protrusion?

amaiaisabella
May 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Both, kinda! There's a huge space between the bun and my head, and it's only connected by the hair tie. Weird, huh?

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Both, kinda! There's a huge space between the bun and my head, and it's only connected by the hair tie. Weird, huh?

That is kinna strange. I bet it looks pretty cool, though. :D
wonder what you would have to do to make it not do that if you don't want it to.
I've never done a sock bun so I can't really be of much help myself. :p

amaiaisabella
May 11th, 2008, 09:16 PM
You should try it soon! Though you have miles more hair than me, so maybe you should try two and rock the Princess Leia look! :p

n3m3sis42
May 12th, 2008, 06:23 AM
You should try it soon! Though you have miles more hair than me, so maybe you should try two and rock the Princess Leia look! :p

OMG, hadn't thought of that yet! I bet I could do that, too. Well, maybe... if I used tiny socks. :)

Nynaeve
May 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Haha. I did that once in junior high for a party we had. I miss my hair. :(
My hair is probably long enough to do some lame ones now.... hmmmm....

puredoxyk
May 13th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Hee, a club invented just for me!

Oh yes, tomboy, except due to my hair being stupid thick, I never put it up, unless it was for some extreme need, like while I painted a room. I still can't braid it, but I've learned to do a ponytail and hold the one bit of fringe that's still too short with a -- wait for it -- a barrette! Me, a barrette! :D

So, as my hair gets longer and longer (coming up on BSL pretty soon), I'm hoping to learn to a) put it up and b) figure out how not to have to wash it so often, since it takes almost a whole day to dry. The only good news is that years and years of leaving it the heck alone mean that my hair is basically healthy (usually--atm it's angry with me, but it'll get over it) and I don't have split ends. Yay for small victories!

Anyway, I look forward to what I can learn from my fellow idiots.

Wait...that didn't sound quite right, did it? ;)

n3m3sis42
May 14th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Hee, a club invented just for me!

Oh yes, tomboy, except due to my hair being stupid thick, I never put it up, unless it was for some extreme need, like while I painted a room. I still can't braid it, but I've learned to do a ponytail and hold the one bit of fringe that's still too short with a -- wait for it -- a barrette! Me, a barrette! :D

So, as my hair gets longer and longer (coming up on BSL pretty soon), I'm hoping to learn to a) put it up and b) figure out how not to have to wash it so often, since it takes almost a whole day to dry. The only good news is that years and years of leaving it the heck alone mean that my hair is basically healthy (usually--atm it's angry with me, but it'll get over it) and I don't have split ends. Yay for small victories!

Anyway, I look forward to what I can learn from my fellow idiots.

Wait...that didn't sound quite right, did it? ;)

puredoxyk, welcome to the Hair Idiots Club! :-)

When I was growing out bangs, I often pulled them back with a little terry cloth hair tie. At the time, my hair was too short to make a full ponytail, so I just did a sort of half-up that was basically the top of my hair (bangs included) in a tiny ponytail on the top of my head. It looked really stupid, but my hair was not in my face.

Nynaeve
May 14th, 2008, 02:09 PM
When I was younger, I kept my hair up in a ponytail, a very tight one, all day every day for years and years and years. Worked for soccer, but not for my hair. :(
It was the only thing I really knew how to do besides braiding for a LONG time.

n3m3sis42
May 17th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Here are a few ideas (not necessarily ones I take credit for):

-sock bun
-French braid
-French twist
-log roll
-topsy bun <--oops, I meant "topsy tail"
-equilibrium bun
-Gibraltar bun (I think anyone with enough length to do a cinnabun can potentially do this)

Any feedback on whether you like/hate/don't care about these styles, or on other ones you'd like to learn? If we can come up with two or three challenge styles, I'll start looking for good instructions/tutorials on how to do them.

amaiaisabella
May 17th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I don't know how to do a log roll or topsy bun, but if my hair is long enough, I'm game to try!

n3m3sis42
May 18th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I don't know how to do a log roll or topsy bun, but if my hair is long enough, I'm game to try!

Er, I actually meant a "topsy tail" like the one you suggested (I don't know how to do one or even what it is). I was really sleepy last night, though.

A log roll is a style for people with longer hair (I'm not even sure it will work on me, and my hair is getting close to waist), because I wanted to include it for those people here who won't be able to do, say, the French twist because their hair is too long.

Incidentally, I did find an article on how to make a "topsy bun", if you are interested:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=45

amaiaisabella
May 18th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the article! I'm not too fond of the style though. :)

So, for the shorter-haired people, the best styles seem to be sock buns and french twists? My Gibson tucks don't really work since my hair is so fine :(

n3m3sis42
May 18th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the article! I'm not too fond of the style though. :)

So, for the shorter-haired people, the best styles seem to be sock buns and french twists? My Gibson tucks don't really work since my hair is so fine :(

I *think* that French braids can be done with fairly short hair as well, but I'm not sure of the exact length needed.

amaiaisabella
May 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I've tried, but all my shorter pieces fall out. Oh well, just another style to look forward to once the hair grows!

n3m3sis42
May 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I've tried, but all my shorter pieces fall out. Oh well, just another style to look forward to once the hair grows!

Hmmmm, you *might* be able to do this butterfly clip "braid" thingie I found on the Styling Station website?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/thread/1054025687/Butterfly+clip+braid

Sorry, it would help if I were not such a complete hair idiot. :)

MeganS
May 18th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I'd love to figure out a log roll, since a French twist just isn't happening for me.

In other hair-idiot-related news, I have hairsticks...and I actually managed to use them! It wasn't pretty, but it stayed up. I also managed one VERY messy equilibrium bun yesterday before I washed my hair--at least, I think it was an equilibrium bun. I started it the way the article suggests and ended up with a bun, but there was definitely a moment in the middle there where some major weirdness was happening.

amaiaisabella
May 18th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Hmmmm, you *might* be able to do this butterfly clip "braid" thingie I found on the Styling Station website?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/thread/1054025687/Butterfly+clip+braid

Sorry, it would help if I were not such a complete hair idiot. :)

That is so cute! Thanks for the link :)

n3m3sis42
May 18th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'd love to figure out a log roll, since a French twist just isn't happening for me.

In other hair-idiot-related news, I have hairsticks...and I actually managed to use them! It wasn't pretty, but it stayed up. I also managed one VERY messy equilibrium bun yesterday before I washed my hair--at least, I think it was an equilibrium bun. I started it the way the article suggests and ended up with a bun, but there was definitely a moment in the middle there where some major weirdness was happening.

Hehe, a lot of my buns with hairsticks are like what you describe... not pretty, but they stay up. :)

If you can do an equilibrium bun, then you have one up on me. I have tried a few times, but so far, I haven't mastered it. I think maybe I will add that one to the list of potential "challenge" styles.

MeganS
May 18th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I think it would be a tough bun to do if your hair didn't have a decent amount of slip. The twisting part made sense to me, but I kept having to change my grip on the hair because it wasn't slipping enough through my fingers. And then, when I went to turn it into a bun, it didn't quite want to wrap up the way the instructions suggest. I don't know. I may try it again sometime this week when I don't have any place special to be. :D

aprilmay
May 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM
I had no idea there would so much homework. I guess that is what happens when you want to learn about something! :)

n3m3sis42
May 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM
I had no idea there would so much homework. I guess that is what happens when you want to learn about something! :)

Hehe, you don't have to do any homework if you don't want to. There's no detention or anything for skipping it. ;-)

n3m3sis42
May 22nd, 2008, 05:03 AM
I thought I should share a bit of Hair Idiot success with you all. I am finally managing to CONSISTENTLY hold a cinnabun in my hair with sticks only, all day. This is highly impressive for me, as up until now, I couldn't do any hairstick buns without pulling my hair into a ponytail and securing it with an elastic. A few weeks ago (I posted about it here), I finally mustered up the courage to try again, and succeeded in achieving a turd bun that mostly stayed up all day.

I have now gotten to the point where most of the time, it even looks more or less like a cinnabun and not a turd. Technically, it may or may not actually be called a "Gibraltar bun" because of the way I am doing it.

Here are some links that may help:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55541

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5234&highlight=gibraltar

Edited to add: Mine is probably not a "true" Gibraltar bun either, because I use two sticks and don't "pull out" the center part. Mainly, I just use the guidelines about how to insert the sticks in the inner coil, facing outward, and then twist them back to the center. I don't know if that makes sense. Maybe I can post a tutorial later?

littlemiss
May 23rd, 2008, 04:04 AM
hello all, Iv been looking at this thread for sometime now and really I do belong here:D, and yesterday proved it I left a comment on someones album photo like OH what a nice rope braid!! but of course it wasn't :o I feel very stupid today!!:o
So hello :waving: to all and I hope you can all teach me something or vice versa (I warn you I'm pretty bad at hair stuff tho.) Now training wheels are on :D I really need help!

n3m3sis42
May 23rd, 2008, 04:54 AM
hello all, Iv been looking at this thread for sometime now and really I do belong here:D, and yesterday proved it I left a comment on someones album photo like OH what a nice rope braid!! but of course it wasn't :o I feel very stupid today!!:o
So hello :waving: to all and I hope you can all teach me something or vice versa (I warn you I'm pretty bad at hair stuff tho.) Now training wheels are on :D I really need help!

Hi, littlemiss! We can all learn together. Or comiserate about our lack of learning. Or whatever. :)

amaiaisabella
May 23rd, 2008, 09:19 AM
I actually got complimented on my French twist on Tuesday when I went to school. I didn't use the fake Ficcare though, just a few bobby pins. It was really nice not having to worry about the hair whipping in the wind! :)

n3m3sis42
May 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
I actually got complimented on my French twist on Tuesday when I went to school. I didn't use the fake Ficcare though, just a few bobby pins. It was really nice not having to worry about the hair whipping in the wind! :)

Yay! That's awesome. :D

littlemiss
May 24th, 2008, 02:57 AM
This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=730&pictureid=8172) is the only bun I know how to do and I dont even know what kind of bun it is???:o can someone help??:) and give my bun a name!!

TrixieB
May 24th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Hi, I'm brand new here & I definitely qualify as a Hair Idiot! I can do a ponytail, braided pigtails, or stick it up in a clip but that's about it. I can't even do a bun correctly. :o

Looking forward to learning alongside everyone here! :)

florenonite
May 24th, 2008, 07:20 AM
This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=730&pictureid=8172) is the only bun I know how to do and I dont even know what kind of bun it is???:o can someone help??:) and give my bun a name!!

It looks like a cinnamon bun to me!

I was a member of the original Hair Idiots' Club on the old LHC, and, er, still qualify. I can do a cinnamon bun, to an extent. I think I've got the technique right, but it's a bit of a turd bun due to length/layers/thickness. Beyond that I can do ponytails, sock buns and French braids, and get some random styles to work once and never again. French twists escape me completely. I could somewhat do them when my hair was shorter. They didn't look like French twists, but they looked all right, whereas now they just look awful, although I can't do a log roll yet. I might become less of a hair idiot once I get rid of these awful layers, though (I love the way they look when my hair's down, but beyond that they drive me insane).

n3m3sis42
May 24th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hi, I'm brand new here & I definitely qualify as a Hair Idiot! I can do a ponytail, braided pigtails, or stick it up in a clip but that's about it. I can't even do a bun correctly. :o

Looking forward to learning alongside everyone here! :)

Hi, TrixieB! Nice to meet you and I look forward to learning with you, too. :)

n3m3sis42
May 24th, 2008, 06:01 PM

I agree with florenonite... I think it looks like a cinnamon bun (aka "cinnabun"), too!

I was a member of the original Hair Idiots' Club on the old LHC, and, er, still qualify. I can do a cinnamon bun, to an extent. I think I've got the technique right, but it's a bit of a turd bun due to length/layers/thickness. Beyond that I can do ponytails, sock buns and French braids, and get some random styles to work once and never again. French twists escape me completely. I could somewhat do them when my hair was shorter. They didn't look like French twists, but they looked all right, whereas now they just look awful, although I can't do a log roll yet. I might become less of a hair idiot once I get rid of these awful layers, though (I love the way they look when my hair's down, but beyond that they drive me insane).

I had layers once and I could never figure out what to do with my hair, either. I sort of have the opposite problem from you, though--my hair is thin (and sort of on the verge of being long-ish since it's just a bit above waist right now). I also cannot do a French twist *or* a log roll to save my life. It looks like it's supposed to be a fairly easy style, but not for me thus far.

ilovelonghair
May 24th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Can I join :)?

fatmoogas
May 24th, 2008, 11:50 PM
What's a turd bun? Don't answer that!

littlemiss
May 25th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Thanks florenonite and N3m3sis42 this is good to know!!
This group seems even far to advanced than my hair skills take me!! :sad:
keep trying I will those instruction for the sock bun looked easy enough I will give it a go next!! what kind of sock is good to use??

florenonite
May 25th, 2008, 03:05 AM
keep trying I will those instruction for the sock bun looked easy enough I will give it a go next!! what kind of sock is good to use??

I'd recommend one that's a similar colour to your hair. I actually knitted a tube (I hate doing laundry, so I didn't want to even sacrifice a single sock) out of a brownish-beige yarn (I think it was undyed) yarn and rolled that up, so that's a possibility if you knit, too.

jesamyn
May 25th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I should really join here. I can do a cinnamon bun when my hair is long enough, along with ponytails and Dutch or French Braids. That's about it aside from 'twist and clip'. :)

n3m3sis42
May 26th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Can I join :)?

Yes, definitely! :)

What's a turd bun? Don't answer that!

It's basically just a failed attempt at some other type of bun that looks like a big blobby mess on the back of your head. :)

I don't know if we are all that advanced... I can basically only do a cinnabun, a sock bun, and a Chinese bun, and I've worked really hard to even be able to do those fairly consistently. When I try to do the Chinese bun, it still looks awful about 4 out of every 5 tries. :S

I should really join here. I can do a cinnamon bun when my hair is long enough, along with ponytails and Dutch or French Braids. That's about it aside from 'twist and clip'. :)

You should totally join; we'd love to have you! :)

n3m3sis42
May 26th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Okay, so...

I hate to keep bugging you guys about this challenge thing. It's not in any way a requirement; no one will taunt you if you don't participate. I just thought it would be fun for us to pick a hair style that we work on learning and post pictures (if we want) of our attempts. The idea is to work on learning that style for one month and see if it helps.

If most of you think it's a dumb idea, then we don't have to do it at all. But if you think it will be fun, then let's do it. :)

I was originally thinking that we could pick a couple of styles for everyone to focus on as their "challenge" style for the month. But another option would be for each person who's doing the challenge to pick their own style to focus on. So that way, no one is left out because the style we picked is just not good on their hair.

Which way do you think would be better?

littlemiss
May 30th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Okay, so...

I hate to keep bugging you guys about this challenge thing. It's not in any way a requirement; no one will taunt you if you don't participate. I just thought it would be fun for us to pick a hair style that we work on learning and post pictures (if we want) of our attempts. The idea is to work on learning that style for one month and see if it helps.

If most of you think it's a dumb idea, then we don't have to do it at all. But if you think it will be fun, then let's do it. :)

I was originally thinking that we could pick a couple of styles for everyone to focus on as their "challenge" style for the month. But another option would be for each person who's doing the challenge to pick their own style to focus on. So that way, no one is left out because the style we picked is just not good on their hair.

Which way do you think would be better?

Both ways will work for me!!! Ill go with the flow of what others want!! I think one style would be enough for me tho:confused: or confusion may set in.:)

n3m3sis42
May 31st, 2008, 09:33 AM
Okay, at least for this month, since I haven't gotten a lot of feedback about specifics and don't want to force anyone, I'm going to suggest that everyone pick their own challenge style.

So, for this month (well, starting tomorrow), here are the "rules" of the challenge:

1. Pick ONE hairstyle that you'd like to focus on learning or perfecting this month. It can be anything, as long as it's a style that's theoretically possible with your length and something you're not already great at. If you want help picking a style (hey, we're Hair Idiots, right?), then feel free to ask the group for ideas and we will try our best (but remember, we're Hair Idiots). Once you have chosen your style, post to the thread to let us know.

2. You don't have to start on the first day of the month, and you don't have to do (or try to do) your chosen challenge style every day. If you're anything like me, you have one or two go-to styles that you can manage to pull off, and suddenly being forced to abandon them for something new for an entire month might be a bit overwhelming. Just try to do your chosen style at least once, maybe a few times, every week.

3. Post pictures of your attempts (if you want--I understand if you are shy, and I am personally a horrible photographer, but I'm going to try anyway). Alternatively, post questions, rants about your difficulties, or raves about your successes.

4. There really aren't any rules. I didn't invent the Hair Idiots Club, but I do like it and I don't want to scare anyone off by giving the impression that they *have* to do a challenge to be in the group. :)

Anyway, I guess that's about it.

I've decided that my challenge style for this month will be the Equilibrium bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=23). I have tried (and failed) to learn this one a few times already, so wish me luck! Please share ideas or questions about the styles you all would like to do, and happy learning to all of us! :D

littlemiss
June 1st, 2008, 05:02 PM
ok, my hair style for the month will be to learn and perfect a sock bun!! :smile:

n3m3sis42
June 2nd, 2008, 04:09 AM
ok, my hair style for the month will be to learn and perfect a sock bun!! :smile:

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress! :D

Bonny
June 2nd, 2008, 05:04 AM
I don't know how much time I'll have for this, but I'm going to try to do some kind of French braiding this month. My hair is still too short for most styles, but I figure French braids might work.

Now to go looking for websites which show how to hold all those strands of hair! I'm such a butterfingers...

n3m3sis42
June 2nd, 2008, 05:19 AM
I don't know how much time I'll have for this, but I'm going to try to do some kind of French braiding this month. My hair is still too short for most styles, but I figure French braids might work.

Now to go looking for websites which show how to hold all those strands of hair! I'm such a butterfingers...

Good luck! Any time you spend is better than none, right? ;-)

Here's a link I found a while ago on doing a French braid on yourself:

http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/self_french.htm

I haven't tried it yet, so let me know if it helps.

n3m3sis42
June 2nd, 2008, 05:22 AM
I actually attempted an Equilibrium Bun today. I must be slowly becoming slightly less of a Hair Idiot than before, because I only had to read the instructions and watch the video 2 or 3 times (see link in earlier post) before I stopped feeling too confused to try it. Seriously, this is an improvement.

My first attempt looked like a scary turd and didn't hold very well.

My second attempt looked less like a scary turd and more like a deformed cinnabun. It held better, but not well enough that I wanted to wear it to work.

I was sort of in a hurry. I will try again soon and maybe even get some photos the next time. :D

littlemiss
June 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
I actually attempted an Equilibrium Bun today. I must be slowly becoming slightly less of a Hair Idiot than before, because I only had to read the instructions and watch the video 2 or 3 times (see link in earlier post) before I stopped feeling too confused to try it. Seriously, this is an improvement.

My first attempt looked like a scary turd and didn't hold very well.

My second attempt looked less like a scary turd and more like a deformed cinnabun. It held better, but not well enough that I wanted to wear it to work.

I was sort of in a hurry. I will try again soon and maybe even get some photos the next time. :D

n3m3sis42 that's good keep trying sounds like your getting there!!:D any pics yet??

I tried the sock bun and it was OK I was actually surprised on how easy it was!! Iv tried with wet and dry hair feel the dry hair one was better, In the next few weeks I might change the sock sizes T00!!
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=730&pictureid=13806) and here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=730&pictureid=13805) are the pics of my first sock buns!!:)

n3m3sis42
June 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
n3m3sis42 that's good keep trying sounds like your getting there!!:D any pics yet??

I tried the sock bun and it was OK I was actually surprised on how easy it was!! Iv tried with wet and dry hair feel the dry hair one was better, In the next few weeks I might change the sock sizes T00!!
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=730&pictureid=13806) and here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=730&pictureid=13805) are the pics of my first sock buns!!:)

I'll see if I can get some pics in the morning when I try again.

The dry sock bun looks really nice! I was surprised at how easy the sock bun was when I finally made myself try it, too. You seem to have done a better job than I usually do at covering the whole sock with your hair. My hair is sort of thin and sometimes I think my sock shows through a bit. However, since it's dark and so is my hair, I'm hoping no one notices. :D

amaiaisabella
June 2nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
n3m3sis42, I actually sort of came up with a new hairdo! At least it's new to me :)

You gather your hair into a low ponytail, then sort of loop it around one finger. Twist counter-clockwise two or more times (two is all I can manage with this length!) and then hold. I clip my fake Ficcare and I have a little loop coming out of the top. It's sort of a modified French twist. :) I'll have to take a picture tomorrow, but it's pretty easy to do!

n3m3sis42
June 3rd, 2008, 04:37 AM
n3m3sis42, I actually sort of came up with a new hairdo! At least it's new to me :)

You gather your hair into a low ponytail, then sort of loop it around one finger. Twist counter-clockwise two or more times (two is all I can manage with this length!) and then hold. I clip my fake Ficcare and I have a little loop coming out of the top. It's sort of a modified French twist. :) I'll have to take a picture tomorrow, but it's pretty easy to do!

That sounds pretty neat! It sounds sort of like the idea behind the equilibrium bun, minus the actual bunning part. At least I *think* that's what it sounds like, but as always, I am not sure because I am a Hair Idiot. :D

I would love to see pics!

ilovelonghair
June 3rd, 2008, 08:03 AM
I have been trying out some new styles, but have no pictures yet.

Bonny
June 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
My progress report on the French braids:

Yesterday I went to the link at http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/self_french.htm and tried to figure it out. I did eventually get the idea, but I'm not sure I'm using the right "slots" of my fingers. Last night I dreamed about trying to get my fingers to do French braids. :)

Today I attempted to do two French braids, one on each side of my head. Since my layers are still quite short, I knew I wouldn't be able to do a single braid down the centre of my head. The first side turned out very messy. The other side was a little better, but the first side was already coming undone while I was braiding the second side. I rebraided the first side but it looked even worse than before. Needless to say, there are no pictures today. So then I called it quits for the day and just ponytailed my hair.

I'll try again later today or tomorrow. It's just a matter of practice, right?

n3m3sis42
June 3rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Okay, I finally have a picture to share! I apologize that it's not better quality--apparently, I'm also an idiot at taking pictures of the back of my head. ;-p

http://www.angryhornet.com/images/hurr/equilibrium_bun_1st_6-3-08_small.jpg

I'm not really sure if that's what an Equilibrium Bun is supposed to look like. It looks suspiciously similar to, um, well... a turd bun. But it's staying, and I'm trying... that counts for something, right?

n3m3sis42
June 3rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I have been trying out some new styles, but have no pictures yet.

That's okay... I just finally took my first picture today. It's hard taking pictures of the back of your head!

My progress report on the French braids:

Yesterday I went to the link at http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/self_french.htm and tried to figure it out. I did eventually get the idea, but I'm not sure I'm using the right "slots" of my fingers. Last night I dreamed about trying to get my fingers to do French braids. :)

Today I attempted to do two French braids, one on each side of my head. Since my layers are still quite short, I knew I wouldn't be able to do a single braid down the centre of my head. The first side turned out very messy. The other side was a little better, but the first side was already coming undone while I was braiding the second side. I rebraided the first side but it looked even worse than before. Needless to say, there are no pictures today. So then I called it quits for the day and just ponytailed my hair.

I'll try again later today or tomorrow. It's just a matter of practice, right?

I think it's great that you're practicing. I'm sure you will get better and better the more you try. :D

manyhorsesmane
June 3rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
I have gone from Stupidly Short at 19 to Wildly Out of Control at 50. Can you believe my mother told me if I cut my hair off before my first child was born, the baby wouldn't choke on my long hair...........and I believed her???? I was an R-Tard. Then I rebelled.:mad: I let my hair grow out and I never looked back, except to trim the ends when chemical hair colorings got out of control. But nothing too extreme. I have loose curls which do better in layers, otherwise I might look like some Hippy Chick from the 70's.......NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE, but you haven't seen me Au Naturale with my waist-length hair, its insane!

Then recently, I started hanging around in here, grabbing snippets of useful information between obnoxiously silly posts, just to get past 25 and a new Avatar...long story, short, I have learned how to Upside-down French Braid my hair when short-that's where you stand upside-down and start at the nape of the neck, working the braid up to the top, then pin into the crown with a hairpin, to hold. I loved it...havent done it since I grew it out so long, my arms got tired of trying to reach the ends. I then graduated to a REAL French braid, from top to bottom. Oboy that was hard. *Like trying to learn crochet with my left when I'd crocheted with my right all my life..and me being ambidextrous, that was a challenge by itself!!

*random comment: I had to learn to crochet left-hand so I could teach my BFF how to crochet, took me all of 2 hours to figure it out and now I can't crochet right-handed anymore...makes no sense...or does it...? ;) ~*NOTE TO SELF: Post in CROCHET GROUP.

Then about a month ago, I bought my first Amadlife0 Dyamondwood Captive Ring Hairpin, and I love it! I'm real good at twisting up all my hairs with a pencil and felt I'd earned a REAL hairstick by this time.

Then about 3 weeks ago, I decided to go with my summer layers again....now I can't wear my new hairstick until my hairs grow back out again...:p

Do I belong in the Official Hair Idiots Club? Please say yes, pleasepleasePLEASE!! :cheese:

zelah
June 3rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
I'm not really sure if that's what an Equilibrium Bun is supposed to look like. It looks suspiciously similar to, um, well... a turd bun. But it's staying, and I'm trying... that counts for something, right?

I had to laugh when I read that! I think the only bun I've truly mastered is the turd bun.

I only recently (in the last couple months) learned to use a hair stick. I saw some hair forks at the mall and miraculously someone was able to show me how to use those, too! I love the forks, because I don't really have to do a bun to use them; they're pretty idiot-proof, for the most part.

But, I'd still love to make beautiful buns on the back of my head, so I have decided to stop avoiding the problem and dive right in! My bun for the month is a figure 8 bun. I can do a fake figure 8, but not a real one yet. I haven't been able to find instructions anywhere, though, so as soon as I do I will get right on it! :D Yay!

jesamyn
June 3rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
n3m3sis42, I applaud your effort!

I attempted a cinnamon bun earlier, but my layers are still short enough to go nuts. It looked more like a walnut perched on my head over decorative grass or something. I'm waiting for another few inches to seriously try again, I think!

manyhorsesmane
June 3rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'll make a concerted effort to re-learn and post my Upside-Down French Braid...what would you call that????

and although I am Italian, I am no Amazing Zamboni nor a Flying Wallenda, so this ourta be interesting~hehee!!

n3m3sis42
June 4th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I have gone from Stupidly Short at 19 to Wildly Out of Control at 50. Can you believe my mother told me if I cut my hair off before my first child was born, the baby wouldn't choke on my long hair...........and I believed her???? I was an R-Tard. Then I rebelled.:mad: I let my hair grow out and I never looked back, except to trim the ends when chemical hair colorings got out of control. But nothing too extreme. I have loose curls which do better in layers, otherwise I might look like some Hippy Chick from the 70's.......NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE, but you haven't seen me Au Naturale with my waist-length hair, its insane!

Then recently, I started hanging around in here, grabbing snippets of useful information between obnoxiously silly posts, just to get past 25 and a new Avatar...long story, short, I have learned how to Upside-down French Braid my hair when short-that's where you stand upside-down and start at the nape of the neck, working the braid up to the top, then pin into the crown with a hairpin, to hold. I loved it...havent done it since I grew it out so long, my arms got tired of trying to reach the ends. I then graduated to a REAL French braid, from top to bottom. Oboy that was hard. *Like trying to learn crochet with my left when I'd crocheted with my right all my life..and me being ambidextrous, that was a challenge by itself!!

*random comment: I had to learn to crochet left-hand so I could teach my BFF how to crochet, took me all of 2 hours to figure it out and now I can't crochet right-handed anymore...makes no sense...or does it...? ;) ~*NOTE TO SELF: Post in CROCHET GROUP.

Then about a month ago, I bought my first Amadlife0 Dyamondwood Captive Ring Hairpin, and I love it! I'm real good at twisting up all my hairs with a pencil and felt I'd earned a REAL hairstick by this time.

Then about 3 weeks ago, I decided to go with my summer layers again....now I can't wear my new hairstick until my hairs grow back out again...:p

Do I belong in the Official Hair Idiots Club? Please say yes, pleasepleasePLEASE!! :cheese:

I think you belong here if you want to belong. Welcome, and nice to meet you. :D

n3m3sis42, I applaud your effort!

I attempted a cinnamon bun earlier, but my layers are still short enough to go nuts. It looked more like a walnut perched on my head over decorative grass or something. I'm waiting for another few inches to seriously try again, I think!

Thank you, jesamyn! Your description is priceless. I think my equilibrium bun sort of looks like a walnut, too. And the wispies could definitely be decorative grass. :D

I'll make a concerted effort to re-learn and post my Upside-Down French Braid...what would you call that????

and although I am Italian, I am no Amazing Zamboni nor a Flying Wallenda, so this ourta be interesting~hehee!!

I would love to see your upside down French braid! It sounds nifty. :D

Aisha25
June 4th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Ok so this hair idiot has made her first sock bun ever..Here is a pic of it.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n192/valarie_222000/Aisha.jpg
I have my face down so you can see it better. It was very heavy for my neck so I could only keep it up for pictures then had to take it down. Took me 3 tries to get this bun right.

SarieQ
June 4th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I'm a hair idiot. I was a tom boy which was good because I didn't have a mother who doted over my hair anyway. You know the kid who comes to school with major bedhead and clothes not matching either? Well that was me. I had my hair nearly BSL when I was a preteen, but I've otherwise had it short all my life.

I still haven't mastered very much as far as updo's go. I have a few that I like and I do those all the time. I'm getting bored with those, but the newer ones I try don't turn out right.

Official hair idiot member!

susiemw
June 4th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Count me in as a hair idiot too.... where was this list when I was young?? Of course, there was no internet back then but
it would have been nice.

When I started high school, my hair was down to between
my butt and knees... I still hear about that when i run into
former high school classmates.

Back then, other than a pony tail or a regular 3 strand braid
I didn't know how to do anything with it.... and I have stayed that
way until I was 22 when someone taught me how to do a french braid..... and that was it until a few months ago when I found this board. What a great and helpful site!

Since then I have done an upside down french braid, have
tried and failed at buns LOL, am working at learning the
herringbone braid which I love. I have been playing with
hair sticks with both good and bad results.

When in the Netherlands this last month what did I buy....
hair toys, hair toys and hair scroos. you are definitely an
enabling group.

I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you.
Oh yes, I should add that now my hair is somewhere between BSL and waist... closer to bsl. It was at my
waist in 2004 and I actually found a good hair stylist
so thought I'd let her cut it and she took it to
shoulder length and it was great, but my natural tendency is
to let it grow and since she is the only one I'd let cut my
hair and she is 1200 miles away.... It'll keep growing.
And now that I've found this group, it probably won't
get cut again.

Susan

zelah
June 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I have my face down so you can see it better. It was very heavy for my neck so I could only keep it up for pictures then had to take it down. Took me 3 tries to get this bun right.

Congrats! It looks wonderful! :cheese:

Aisha25
June 4th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Congrats! It looks wonderful! :cheese:
Oh thanks so much!:joy:

littlemiss
June 5th, 2008, 12:10 AM
That looks great!!! it sure was a big sock!!!:D Iv only tried with little socks so far and that hasnt been too heavy on the head!! and it stayed up all night at work!!

littlemiss
June 5th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Okay, I finally have a picture to share! I apologize that it's not better quality--apparently, I'm also an idiot at taking pictures of the back of my head. ;-p

http://www.angryhornet.com/images/hurr/equilibrium_bun_1st_6-3-08_small.jpg

it looks great to me but..... really i dont know what a equlilbrium looks like anyway!!:rolleyes: :silly:
can some one remind me how to upload pics to a page using photobucket Iv forgoten :silly:

toodramatik
June 5th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Hair idiot here! I've never had waist length hair (which is what I'm yearning for so badly at the moment).. Right now I have a 'scene' cut with so many layers that I don't think two hairs are the same length :( plusss my hair is wavy so I really should never have gotten a scene hair cut in the first place but.. I'M AN IDIOT :D

I can only do a 3 strand braid and I don't mind too much. while I find most of the updos you all can do so well absolutely stunning I think i'd probably be shunned at school for them

TofuWarrior
June 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM
*waves hand* Can I join? Every day I tie my hair back into a ponytail or if I am feeling 'glamorous' I push the boat out and have a half updo in a clip which I learnt to do a few weeks ago. I am a complete hair idiot, but i make up for it by being good at make up lol. I can twist it into a bit of a bun and use sticks to hold it, but wouldn't venture outside with it as it's only just held in place and probably wonky as well!

Any help gratefully received. How can I learn to do things with my hair? (including taking really good care of it) I really don't deserve the long hair I have as I chemically dye it. I don't blowdry or straighten as that counts as too much hassle to start using tools!

akiss4lexie
June 5th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Hello Hair Idiots!

I'm not sure I totally qualify, as I have a small repertoire of updos - though I'm always eager to learn more. But I seem to have some problems with technique, especially when it comes to buns, because my hair is in layers.

Do other people have trouble "tucking the ends in" on certain buns? (Mine never want to stay, although it's been getting easier with my last growth spurt)
Do other people sometimes have to use a bobby pin or two in addition to a hair stick to anchor a style?
And how do some of you contain shorter layers?

For awhile, my limited supply of hair toys was holding me back from doing nicer updos, but I just ordered a bunch off the internet, so I'm easger to start putting them to good use. (haha before, I literally had one stick, one fork, one jaw clip, one barette, and some ponytail holders & bobby pins. fun times..)

Hoping to learn a lot and stop feeling like an idiot. :ponder:

akiss4lexie
June 5th, 2008, 02:29 AM
while I find most of the updos you all can do so well absolutely stunning I think i'd probably be shunned at school for them

It's all about finding your personal style. Hair accessories are a good way to add a personal twist to your hair. I remember thinking the same thing when I started my "journey" - a lot of people had hair toys that were too fancy, or sparkly, or eclectic looking for my tastes. While they could pull off those looks, it wasn't for me. I tend to like plainer, sleek stuff in my hair - the Good Hair Days line works well for me because their stuff is pretty neutral, and holds hair really well. The internet is really a great resource, because it allows you to find a lot of different types of hairtoys, so you can really check out your options.

You could probably do a french braid (works well at holding back layers), or a bun held with a jaw clip, if you don't want to do anything too ornate. You can also make a style "messy" by leaving some layers out. Just some suggestions. :)

zelah
June 5th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Do other people have trouble "tucking the ends in" on certain buns? (Mine never want to stay, although it's been getting easier with my last growth spurt)
Do other people sometimes have to use a bobby pin or two in addition to a hair stick to anchor a style?

When my ends were ratty and damaged, they held together in a bun like velcro. Unfortunately for my bun, I prefer sleeker ends, and now can never get my buns to accept the ends. I tend to leave them that way because sometimes I think it looks cute, and also because I'm sort of an idiot when it comes to bobby pins. I know lots of people use them to keep their styles in place, but when I use them they fly all over the room! -sigh-

If it works for you to use a bobby pin, I say go for it!

ilovelonghair
June 5th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I made two braids today and started trying to put them up in some way, but didn't succeed yet. The braids are quite nasty thin so I have to find a way to make them look fuller.

n3m3sis42
June 5th, 2008, 03:29 AM

That's very pretty! How big was the sock you used? It might be less heavy if you used a smallish dress sock. I am jealous of your thick hair. :D

n3m3sis42
June 5th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I'm a hair idiot. I was a tom boy which was good because I didn't have a mother who doted over my hair anyway. You know the kid who comes to school with major bedhead and clothes not matching either? Well that was me. I had my hair nearly BSL when I was a preteen, but I've otherwise had it short all my life.

I still haven't mastered very much as far as updo's go. I have a few that I like and I do those all the time. I'm getting bored with those, but the newer ones I try don't turn out right.

Official hair idiot member!

Hi, SarieQ! Welcome to the Hair Idiots Club. Is there a specific style you really want to learn?

Count me in as a hair idiot too.... where was this list when I was young?? Of course, there was no internet back then but
it would have been nice.

When I started high school, my hair was down to between
my butt and knees... I still hear about that when i run into
former high school classmates.

Back then, other than a pony tail or a regular 3 strand braid
I didn't know how to do anything with it.... and I have stayed that
way until I was 22 when someone taught me how to do a french braid..... and that was it until a few months ago when I found this board. What a great and helpful site!

Since then I have done an upside down french braid, have
tried and failed at buns LOL, am working at learning the
herringbone braid which I love. I have been playing with
hair sticks with both good and bad results.

When in the Netherlands this last month what did I buy....
hair toys, hair toys and hair scroos. you are definitely an
enabling group.

I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you.
Oh yes, I should add that now my hair is somewhere between BSL and waist... closer to bsl. It was at my
waist in 2004 and I actually found a good hair stylist
so thought I'd let her cut it and she took it to
shoulder length and it was great, but my natural tendency is
to let it grow and since she is the only one I'd let cut my
hair and she is 1200 miles away.... It'll keep growing.
And now that I've found this group, it probably won't
get cut again.

Susan

Hi susiemw! Nice to meet you and welcome! I know what you mean about the enabling. I've bought so many hair toys in the past couple of months due to seeing people's updos all the time on LHC. Too bad I only know like 3 updos. :D

Hair idiot here! I've never had waist length hair (which is what I'm yearning for so badly at the moment).. Right now I have a 'scene' cut with so many layers that I don't think two hairs are the same length :( plusss my hair is wavy so I really should never have gotten a scene hair cut in the first place but.. I'M AN IDIOT :D

I can only do a 3 strand braid and I don't mind too much. while I find most of the updos you all can do so well absolutely stunning I think i'd probably be shunned at school for them

Hi, toodramatik! Don't worry, I can't really do much more with my hair than you can. And in my case, it's not due to my haircut. It's more that I am deficient. :D

*waves hand* Can I join? Every day I tie my hair back into a ponytail or if I am feeling 'glamorous' I push the boat out and have a half updo in a clip which I learnt to do a few weeks ago. I am a complete hair idiot, but i make up for it by being good at make up lol. I can twist it into a bit of a bun and use sticks to hold it, but wouldn't venture outside with it as it's only just held in place and probably wonky as well!

Any help gratefully received. How can I learn to do things with my hair? (including taking really good care of it) I really don't deserve the long hair I have as I chemically dye it. I don't blowdry or straighten as that counts as too much hassle to start using tools!

Nice to meet you, TofuWarrior! If your hair is healthy even though you chemically dye, then why shouldn't you dye it if it makes you happier with it? I'm just envious that you can get away with it. :D

You mentioned wanting to learn new ways to do things with your hair. We're doing a "challenge" this month. You don't have to play, but it's pretty simple if you want to. Everyone who's participating picks one hairstyle they really want to learn, and commits to try it at least once or twice a week for the whole month. Posting pictures and/or text about your efforts is recommended but not required.

Want to join?

n3m3sis42
June 5th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Hello Hair Idiots!

I'm not sure I totally qualify, as I have a small repertoire of updos - though I'm always eager to learn more. But I seem to have some problems with technique, especially when it comes to buns, because my hair is in layers.

And how do some of you contain shorter layers?

For awhile, my limited supply of hair toys was holding me back from doing nicer updos, but I just ordered a bunch off the internet, so I'm easger to start putting them to good use. (haha before, I literally had one stick, one fork, one jaw clip, one barette, and some ponytail holders & bobby pins. fun times..)

Hoping to learn a lot and stop feeling like an idiot. :ponder:

Welcome, akiss4lexie!

I have that problem with my ends, too. I have a lot of fly-aways and baby hairs (partially because I used to wear my hair in a ponytail ALL THE TIME for most of last year, but partially I think just because it's how my hair is). So even if I get my ends in correctly, I never have the sleek updos that other people do. See the picture a couple pages back of my equilibrium bun attempt.

I made two braids today and started trying to put them up in some way, but didn't succeed yet. The braids are quite nasty thin so I have to find a way to make them look fuller.

Hmmm, are you trying to twist the braids into buns or something like that? I found this on the Long Hair Loom website:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/thread/1088545263/July+Style+of+the+Month-+The+Braided+Bun

n3m3sis42
June 5th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Yesterday, I made (and wore to work) another sad attempt at an equilibrium bun.

Actually, I managed to make a really good one at first, but the hair toy I was using looked weird at the angle at which the "loop" part of the bun was. I took it out and re-bunned, only to get a turd bun. On the plus side, it stayed in really well all day.

...And I think this challenge is helping. While I haven't come close to mastering the technique so that I'll get the right "look", I do think I am getting better at the method behind it.

I have to be in at work early this week, which is why I have been such a failure at getting pictures. I will try to get some today.

Fellow Hair Idiots, it's not too late to join the challenge if you want to. :D

beatricedivina
June 5th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I am also a hair idiot! I had short hair all of my life, since it was wavy and hard to manage. Now my hair is just below shoulder length, the longest it's ever been, and I'm still trying to figure out ways to get it up and keep it up. I bought my first nice hairstick and wore it yesterday in my now-traditional French twist, since that's the one hairstyle I can reliably do.
Last night I spent a half hour french-braiding and re-braiding my hair, but I still can't get it nice enough to leave the house in. Maybe as it gets longer, I'll have less trouble.

Aisha25
June 5th, 2008, 09:02 AM
That's very pretty! How big was the sock you used? It might be less heavy if you used a smallish dress sock. I am jealous of your thick hair. :D
I used a normal sock like the kind you wear with tennies not too big. The sock was actually small seeing is how I wear a size 6 shoe.:p But yeah thanks so much my hair was too heavy for my neck so only can be worn for like 10mins :mad:.

Aisha25
June 5th, 2008, 09:50 AM
This is the sock I used
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n192/valarie_222000/084038.jpg
I wanted to put a black sock or something black around this pink thing to match my hair so it'll look more thick, but I couldnt find anything:-(.

TofuWarrior
June 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Nice to meet you, TofuWarrior! If your hair is healthy even though you chemically dye, then why shouldn't you dye it if it makes you happier with it? I'm just envious that you can get away with it. :D

You mentioned wanting to learn new ways to do things with your hair. We're doing a "challenge" this month. You don't have to play, but it's pretty simple if you want to. Everyone who's participating picks one hairstyle they really want to learn, and commits to try it at least once or twice a week for the whole month. Posting pictures and/or text about your efforts is recommended but not required.

Want to join?

Ooh I'll join *runs off to find the updo threads and chooses one*

I never said I could get away with chemically dyeing my hair! v thick, v coarse, v dry, wavy hair with the odd ringlet. I'm no good at typing but I presume that makes me a 2c/3a. Cones work for me as my hair turns into a tangly brillo pad! I have to use a harsh shampoo due to seborrhoeic dermatitis. Bizarrely, I actually find the dye helps it. This is probably why I need cones on my hair. If I can get the scalp condition under control, I'd just follow curly girl routine as that worked well for me (No cones, CO washes etc)

susiemw
June 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM

I find a simple thing to do with two braids is to tie them into a knot and then to hide the ends fold the knot up towards your head and then put a stick through them to hold it in place... if you don't have any sticks any kind of hair clamp/clip should work.... no matter how thin or thick the braids are it tends to look good.

good luck,

Susan

n3m3sis42
June 7th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Another attempt at an equilibrium bun... this one has some issues but at least it looks LESS like a turd than the previous one. :D

http://www.angryhornet.com/images/hurr/equilibrium_6-07-08_1.jpg

jesamyn
June 7th, 2008, 09:09 AM
That looks quite nice!

I attempted to take a picture of my 'I don't know what this is, but I got a fork into it' updo the other day. I am going to join the 'completely unable to take a picture of the back of my head' club now. The nice thing is that I did manage a French twist with a Ficcare on it. While that's not a new style, it was a minor milestone since my layers were long enough again to get them all in there.

ilovelonghair
June 7th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I find a simple thing to do with two braids is to tie them into a knot and then to hide the ends fold the knot up towards your head and then put a stick through them to hold it in place... if you don't have any sticks any kind of hair clamp/clip should work.... no matter how thin or thick the braids are it tends to look good.

good luck,

Susan

Thanks! Will try that :)

n3m3sis42
June 8th, 2008, 08:06 AM
That looks quite nice!

I attempted to take a picture of my 'I don't know what this is, but I got a fork into it' updo the other day. I am going to join the 'completely unable to take a picture of the back of my head' club now. The nice thing is that I did manage a French twist with a Ficcare on it. While that's not a new style, it was a minor milestone since my layers were long enough again to get them all in there.

Thank you! :D

I can't take a decent picture of the back of my head to save my life. My husband took that last one. The one I posted before, I did take myself--but it took me like 30 attempts before I got a picture that was even kind of decent, and it was still not a very good one.

susiemw
June 10th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I learned how to do a rope braid... actually a french rope braid today.! yea for me. The rope braid is super easy. Why didn't anyone teach me this before ??!! LOL! I still need to practice the french part of the rope braid, it's ok, but could be better. I find that my garage sale, doll head really helps me to master the steps on these different styles/braids. I tried taking photos but have not mastered the back of the head shots yet.

Susan

n3m3sis42
June 11th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I learned how to do a rope braid... actually a french rope braid today.! yea for me. The rope braid is super easy. Why didn't anyone teach me this before ??!! LOL! I still need to practice the french part of the rope braid, it's ok, but could be better. I find that my garage sale, doll head really helps me to master the steps on these different styles/braids. I tried taking photos but have not mastered the back of the head shots yet.

Susan

Yay for you! I'm impressed... I haven't even tried a rope braid yet, but they sound hard. :D

littlemiss
June 11th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I tried a rope braid on my hair the other night before I went to bed and it turned out ok but I kept getting twisted and forgetting which way I was twisting so will try again in the future.

My sock bun practice is coming along slowly Im afraid but will keep trying!!

susiemw
June 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Yay for you! I'm impressed... I haven't even tried a rope braid yet, but they sound hard. :D

Try it! You will be surprised. It's *very* simple and it looks so darn good.

Try the basic one first:
put your hair in a pony tail.
divide pony tail in 1/2
you will only ever be twisting one side of the tail.. the one in your right hand if your right handed (if your left handed do it with your left)

take the 1/2 of your ponytail that is in your right hand hand and
twist it towards your face (clockwise) a couple times,

then move it to the opposite side, taking the other 1/2 of the pony into your right hand, twist towards your face a couple times,

switch that to the other side, and moving the other 1/2 of your ponytail into the right hand.... keep doing it til you get to the bottom and secure it.

Here are some directions and pictures.
http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/rope-braid/

So easy and looks so good.

Susan

susiemw
June 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I tried a rope braid on my hair the other night before I went to bed and it turned out ok but I kept getting twisted and forgetting which way I was twisting so will try again in the future.

always twist towards your face (clockwise)

I can not look in the mirror and do this. I have to do it without the mirror or I absolutely can not do it correctly. Good luck!

Susan

n3m3sis42
June 12th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Try it! You will be surprised. It's *very* simple and it looks so darn good.

Try the basic one first:
put your hair in a pony tail.
divide pony tail in 1/2
you will only ever be twisting one side of the tail.. the one in your right hand if your right handed (if your left handed do it with your left)

take the 1/2 of your ponytail that is in your right hand hand and
twist it towards your face (clockwise) a couple times,

then move it to the opposite side, taking the other 1/2 of the pony into your right hand, twist towards your face a couple times,

switch that to the other side, and moving the other 1/2 of your ponytail into the right hand.... keep doing it til you get to the bottom and secure it.

Here are some directions and pictures.
http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/rope-braid/

So easy and looks so good.

Susan

Thank you so much for the instructions! I will have to try this soon. :D

n3m3sis42
June 12th, 2008, 05:42 AM
As for my Hair Idiot Challenge... I had a run-in with my camellia oil (accidentally oiled my roots *again*, whoops!) and have been too busy hiding my greasies to experiment. However, yesterday was a wash day and that means that I should be able to resume my challenge today. I'll try to post pics!

For those of you who have been doing the challenge (or for anyone who still wants to try), how's it going?

aprilmay
June 12th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I am glad to be part of this group. There is comfort in numbers!

Bonny
June 12th, 2008, 07:43 PM
For those of you who have been doing the challenge (or for anyone who still wants to try), how's it going?

I have temporarily given up on french braids. I go through the motions (and I think I'm getting the hang of it) - but my layers are still too short to stay in the braids.

I think my aspirations to non-idiothood are going to have to wait until my hair grows a bit more... :(

n3m3sis42
June 13th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I am glad to be part of this group. There is comfort in numbers!

I so agree. :)

I have temporarily given up on french braids. I go through the motions (and I think I'm getting the hang of it) - but my layers are still too short to stay in the braids.

I think my aspirations to non-idiothood are going to have to wait until my hair grows a bit more... :(

Aw... well, you are still welcome here, regardless! :)

MeganS
June 13th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Gah! Nothing, nothing, makes me feel more like a hair idiot than being unable, after several attempts, to divide my hair into three even sections for a plain ordinary braid. The only thing simpler is a ponytail! Grrr.

aprilmay
June 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Gah! Nothing, nothing, makes me feel more like a hair idiot than being unable, after several attempts, to divide my hair into three even sections for a plain ordinary braid. The only thing simpler is a ponytail! Grrr.

Wait, they are supposed to even? I don't think mine ever are, but I have lots of hair so it still works most of the time.:)

MeganS
June 13th, 2008, 12:27 PM
With my hair, if they're not even, I end up with a really strange braid tassel--one strand is usually thicker than the other two, so it hangs down much longer. It seems to give me less control over the length of the tassel, as well; whenever the two thinner strands end, my braid is over, no matter how much is left of the third (thicker and longer) strand.

aprilmay
June 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM
when they are drastically different amounts, I have the same problem, but I usually don't have enough time to redo it.

n3m3sis42
June 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I guess I should make an update. There are no pics because I've been having a heck of a time getting a decent equilibrium bun this week. They stay, but they are turdtastic. I've tried multiple times on 3 different days.

Maybe I should take a picture of the next turd-looking one just to share? :)

JessTheMess
June 13th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I am a super hair bafoon! I used to shave off my baby hairs along my front hairline, because I thought they made me look like I was balding... I look at pictures now from me back then and I wanna smack myself. I look like a conehead!

littlemiss
June 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM
checking in here for an update and I have no pictures because I still havent seemed to get it right!! Darm sock buns!!! but Never fear I will not be beaten and try the sock bun again and again until Iv got it right!!

Magicknthenight
June 15th, 2008, 12:39 AM
This sounds like a good place for me! i can only do a basic braid, a sock bun, and a cinnamon bun. Lately when i've tried to do the sock bun it ends up with a bunch of hair left out and loose!:mad: Grrr! I'm trying to protect my hair more but i am really bad with updos! I have been wearing the cinnamon bun alot lately but the only way it stays up is when i use a clip to hold the ends up. Then today i took it down and saw some splits. I was worried that maybe the chip would damage my ends! But the cinniamon bun never really looked that great as others have said it looked liek a small "doorknob". I have been trying the rope braid alot so maybe i can twist it up into one of those beautiful buns but in the end i just have a bunch of loose hair wrapped around each other. So i'd like to learn that and alot of other styles. The cinniamon bun also falls out alot. So i guess thats the end of that one...Hoping to learn some more. I try every once in a while but they dont usially look like the pictures. I tried the chinese braided bun but it didnt look really great and my ends kept sticking out! I guess some of these styles wont work until im at waist? But how can i protect my hair until then? I guess im just gonna keep trying to do all these updos! Hopefully i will be better at it! wish me luck!:D

Laelu
June 15th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Sign me up please!!! What do I have to do??

At the age of 30 this is the longest my hair has been in all memory (just past shoulders), it has always been boy short! You can imagine my dilemma.... i have a big banana clip and that is it......
Help!!!!!!!!

Shiin
June 15th, 2008, 03:37 AM
:waving:

Good to see the Hair Idiots Club :grin:

My buns are actually looking bun-ish, I finally figured out how to do a French Braid (except my hair is now too short *sigh* grow hair grow!) and um can do a 3 strand braid and a few other variations (pig tails, braided buns etc.)but everything else...?

Not a chance.

Hair needs to get longer so I can (learn to) do more things with it!

n3m3sis42
June 15th, 2008, 08:44 AM
:waving:

Good to see the Hair Idiots Club :grin:

My buns are actually looking bun-ish, I finally figured out how to do a French Braid (except my hair is now too short *sigh* grow hair grow!) and um can do a 3 strand braid and a few other variations (pig tails, braided buns etc.)but everything else...?

Not a chance.

Hair needs to get longer so I can (learn to) do more things with it!

Yayyyyy!!! Madame President has returned! :)

I hope you don't mind that I took your idea and ran with it. I figured that if anyone was a Hair Idiot, it was me. I can mess up ANY bun, really.

Shiin
June 15th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Yayyyyy!!! Madame President has returned! :)

I hope you don't mind that I took your idea and ran with it. I figured that if anyone was a Hair Idiot, it was me. I can mess up ANY bun, really.

:grin: Not a problem!

n3m3sis42
June 15th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I am a super hair bafoon! I used to shave off my baby hairs along my front hairline, because I thought they made me look like I was balding... I look at pictures now from me back then and I wanna smack myself. I look like a conehead!

Hehe, I understand. I cut the most horrible bangs a few years ago because I thought they would look better than all the baby hairs I had at the time. WRONG!

checking in here for an update and I have no pictures because I still havent seemed to get it right!! Darm sock buns!!! but Never fear I will not be beaten and try the sock bun again and again until Iv got it right!!

Aw, I wish you better luck with your continued efforts. I can sympathize, because while I did pretty well with the equilibrium bun at first, last week, all of my efforts came out badly.

This sounds like a good place for me! i can only do a basic braid, a sock bun, and a cinnamon bun. Lately when i've tried to do the sock bun it ends up with a bunch of hair left out and loose!:mad: Grrr! I'm trying to protect my hair more but i am really bad with updos! I have been wearing the cinnamon bun alot lately but the only way it stays up is when i use a clip to hold the ends up. Then today i took it down and saw some splits. I was worried that maybe the chip would damage my ends! But the cinniamon bun never really looked that great as others have said it looked liek a small "doorknob". I have been trying the rope braid alot so maybe i can twist it up into one of those beautiful buns but in the end i just have a bunch of loose hair wrapped around each other. So i'd like to learn that and alot of other styles. The cinniamon bun also falls out alot. So i guess thats the end of that one...Hoping to learn some more. I try every once in a while but they dont usially look like the pictures. I tried the chinese braided bun but it didnt look really great and my ends kept sticking out! I guess some of these styles wont work until im at waist? But how can i protect my hair until then? I guess im just gonna keep trying to do all these updos! Hopefully i will be better at it! wish me luck!:D

Hi, and welcome! Sometimes I have problems with my ends falling out of the cinnabun, too. I've found that if I tuck them under the bun the right way, they will usually stay. My cinnabuns also don't always end up really looking very much like a cinnamon bun. I have to make a conscious effort to hold each coil against my head so it doesn't bunch up into a big knob. Sometimes I fail to do this. :S

Sign me up please!!! What do I have to do??

At the age of 30 this is the longest my hair has been in all memory (just past shoulders), it has always been boy short! You can imagine my dilemma.... i have a big banana clip and that is it......
Help!!!!!!!!

Hi, and welcome! Congratulations on hitting a new record length. I think shoulder-length hair can be tough to deal with because it's still too short for a lot of styles besides a ponytail. I think you can do a French braid or sock bun at that length (assuming you are able to learn those styles--I'm a complete failure at doing a French braid on my own hair, but a sock bun is manageable for me).

amaiaisabella
June 16th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I'm so sorry I haven't posted. I haven't been able to recreate my loop twist again, so I wasn't able to take a picture :( Also, for some reason my hair feels thinner lately (though I haven't lost more than the normal amount) so the twist is kind of sad and doesn't hold right :(

As for the challenge, I did do one thing where I put my hair in a ponytail (I really need to get hairties without metal clasps) and then took individual strands (more like chunks) of hair and twirled them back and pinned all around the ponytail. It resulted in a see-through bun, sort of. More of a formal updo, but looked cool for class :) I'll have to take a picture of that.

Otherwise, I'm still limited by my options at this stage so I just twist it up and secure with a jaw clip :(

Pierre
June 16th, 2008, 10:14 PM
When that happens, I leave behind a few hairs of the thickest section and pick them up in the next. I make two braids, one behind each ear, so I have to do this because the sections are different lengths.

I just recently figured out the Dutch braid; my first attempt turned out Belgian, and I still can't make the root of the braid stay put. It slides back to the top of my ear. And it took me a long time to figure out that I was damaging my back hair while I slept and that I need to put a Buff on when I sleep. I know the cinnamon (?) and turd buns, and one style I made up in which all my hair is stuffed into a Maximas on the left side. And that's about it. Can I join?

Magicknthenight
June 16th, 2008, 10:22 PM
So i just tried the infinity bun! it actially stayed!:cheese: My hair isnt long enough to wrap around the bun a bunch of times but i think with a little more practice this could be my new updo! ^-^

n3m3sis42
June 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
To start off, I thought I'd give another update. I did manage to do an equilibirum bun this morning. It's not very pretty, but it's not horrible either, and it stayed in all day. I didn't have time to take pics; will try to do better in that respect tomorrow.

I'm so sorry I haven't posted. I haven't been able to recreate my loop twist again, so I wasn't able to take a picture :( Also, for some reason my hair feels thinner lately (though I haven't lost more than the normal amount) so the twist is kind of sad and doesn't hold right :(

As for the challenge, I did do one thing where I put my hair in a ponytail (I really need to get hairties without metal clasps) and then took individual strands (more like chunks) of hair and twirled them back and pinned all around the ponytail. It resulted in a see-through bun, sort of. More of a formal updo, but looked cool for class :) I'll have to take a picture of that.

Otherwise, I'm still limited by my options at this stage so I just twist it up and secure with a jaw clip :(

I'm sorry about your thinner-feeling hair... have you had any changes in diet, hair care routine, or stress levels? I'm always paranoid that my hair is thinning now that I'm in my thirties.

I would love to see pics of your cool bun! :)

I just recently figured out the Dutch braid; my first attempt turned out Belgian, and I still can't make the root of the braid stay put. It slides back to the top of my ear. And it took me a long time to figure out that I was damaging my back hair while I slept and that I need to put a Buff on when I sleep. I know the cinnamon (?) and turd buns, and one style I made up in which all my hair is stuffed into a Maximas on the left side. And that's about it. Can I join?

Hi Pierre, nice to meet you! Of course you can join! I don't know many more styles than you, but if you don't already know how to use your Ficcare Maximas to hold a cinnamon bun, I might be able to help you out with that. :)

So i just tried the infinity bun! it actially stayed!:cheese: My hair isnt long enough to wrap around the bun a bunch of times but i think with a little more practice this could be my new updo! ^-^

Congratulations on learning the infinity bun! I really want to learn it, but I'm not sure that my hair is quite long (or thick) enough to cooperate with that style just yet. How long is yours?

Indigo Girl
June 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM
*Sigh*...After several (okay, many) log rolls gone bad (among various other styles)...I have finally decided to request membership in The Official Hair Idiots Club.

It really is comforting to know I'm not alone. My updos truly are turdtastic.

Darkhorse1
June 17th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I love it! Finally,I can learn a few styles--I do have a cool style of my own--I use a large scrunchie and wind my hair into a half ponytail. I then take the ends and loop it around the scrunchie and tuck the tails in and viola! Idiot proof bun without any of the piercing hardware.

Those sticks just don't stay in my hair. Not sure why?

aprilmay
June 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM
DH seems to have misplaced our small digital camera, our larger one is set up on a tripod in our bedroom closet/photo studio, and I have a daughter who gets mad every time my hair is up or back so I am having difficulty trying any of these new styles! I am enjoying learning how cause I plan on keeping my hair long for the foreseeable future and this thread will be an excellent resource. :)

n3m3sis42
June 18th, 2008, 03:56 PM
*Sigh*...After several (okay, many) log rolls gone bad (among various other styles)...I have finally decided to request membership in The Official Hair Idiots Club.

It really is comforting to know I'm not alone. My updos truly are turdtastic.

So far, I have completely failed at learning how to do a log roll. It's very sad indeed. Welcome!

I love it! Finally,I can learn a few styles--I do have a cool style of my own--I use a large scrunchie and wind my hair into a half ponytail. I then take the ends and loop it around the scrunchie and tuck the tails in and viola! Idiot proof bun without any of the piercing hardware.

Those sticks just don't stay in my hair. Not sure why?

There's sort of a trick to getting the sticks to stay. You have to sort of "torque" the stick outward so that you can use it to catch some of the hair between your scalp and the bun, and then turn it back inwards to put it through to the other side of the bun. I'm sure that explanation wasn't very good, though.

Also, I think different types of sticks work better for different types of hair, but I don't know specifics. Your scrunchie trick sounds cool, though. :)

DH seems to have misplaced our small digital camera, our larger one is set up on a tripod in our bedroom closet/photo studio, and I have a daughter who gets mad every time my hair is up or back so I am having difficulty trying any of these new styles! I am enjoying learning how cause I plan on keeping my hair long for the foreseeable future and this thread will be an excellent resource. :)

I'm sorry you've run across some difficulties, but good luck with your continued learning. :)

aprilmay
June 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
n3m3sis42, thanks for the encouraging words. They are always appreciated. Does learning count, even if I can't put it into practice regularly?

Indigo Girl
June 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM
n3m3sis42, thank you for the welcome! :bluesmile

That's a great bun you have in your siggy pic. I am still trying to work with hairsticks - I would say about one in every fifteen tries I secure a decent bun.

n3m3sis42
June 19th, 2008, 04:33 AM
n3m3sis42, thanks for the encouraging words. They are always appreciated. Does learning count, even if I can't put it into practice regularly?

I think it always counts, because it's kind of like building a foundation for a house. :)

n3m3sis42, thank you for the welcome! :bluesmile

That's a great bun you have in your siggy pic. I am still trying to work with hairsticks - I would say about one in every fifteen tries I secure a decent bun.

Aw, thanks so much! That's one of my few successful attempts at an equilibrium bun. We're doing a "Hair Idiot Challenge" this month where some of us picked one style to focus on learning. Those doing the challenge try to do the style at least once a week (baby steps, right?) and post pictures or words about our progress when we can. Most of the time, I sort of fail to make it look right. :)

I'm getting pretty good at getting buns to stay securely, though they don't always look good. I guess that's progress, though... before I couldn't even really get them to stay.

Indigo Girl
June 20th, 2008, 08:21 PM
You're welcome!

A monthly challenge is a great idea! Since we're already on the 20th, I think I am going to try and decide on a few styles for next month's challenge. :hmm:

I need more variety than my standard "scrunchie bun" to wear to work. My most recent attempt at a new updo was a figure eight braided bun, which somehow morphed into a figure nine instead...:shrug:

This is a perfect thread to learn and progress on! :bluesmile

Nynaeve
June 20th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Man this thread has blown up. Somehow it got off my subscribed threads too, so I haven't seen it in a while, I'll have to catch back up.

n3m3sis42
June 24th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Okay, you all. This isn't a very good picture, but here is evidence that I have continued to attempt to make equilibrium buns:

http://www.angryhornet.com/images/hurr/eq_bun_6-24-08.jpg

Once in a very great while, they turn out nice like the one in my siggy. The vast majority of the time, they are turd-tacular like the one above. Oh well.

Magicknthenight
June 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Yay!!! I just managed to make my very first DECENT ropebraid!!! If i have any advice for people trying new hair dos..its to do it when its heavily oiled. Its easier to work with and you can get some practice so then when you wash it you'll know what your doing more. I guess if i was gonna put it up oiling it would only help it so maybe thats just what i'll have to do from now on till its a bit longer. i'll upload some pics. of the rope bun onto my album!:cheese::D

EDIT: i was going through the articles looking for more new updos to try and i also managed to make a decent chinese bun! :cheese: Oiled hair...is defently easier to style. Though im having trouble tucking in the ends. :Dsqueeee
Im so happy its silly:o

Ruthless
June 30th, 2008, 01:35 AM
I didn't know that flat irons exsisted until I was 23 or so. I thought those girls just had naturally straight hair. Isn't that silly?? I also didn't know about back combing or anything other than drying it out so it wouldn't freeze walking to school. No blow outs, nothing. I always envied the girls with the straight hair and the "bubble" (pulling front part up and back with a little pooch) look, I thought their hair just did that. Witches ;p The only things I knew were from when my grandmother and mom were growing up-rag curls at night to create curls, (I did know about curling irons too) and the french brain and the bun.

n3m3sis42
July 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Hey all! I hope that those of you who did the June challenge learned something even if you didn't perfectly master your style of choice.

I did succeed in TRYING an equilibirum bun at least once every week of my challenge. I did manage to produce 3 or 4 really nice-looking equilibrium buns. I also produced at least a dozen that looked like turds, so I wouldn't say I have "mastered" this style just yet.

I'm thinking about doing a July challenge for this same style so that I can't get lazy and just go back to doing nothing but cinnabuns (which is what I do basically every day I'm not doing an equilibrium bun). Anyone with me on the July challenge?

Yay!!! I just managed to make my very first DECENT ropebraid!!! If i have any advice for people trying new hair dos..its to do it when its heavily oiled. Its easier to work with and you can get some practice so then when you wash it you'll know what your doing more. I guess if i was gonna put it up oiling it would only help it so maybe thats just what i'll have to do from now on till its a bit longer. i'll upload some pics. of the rope bun onto my album!

EDIT: i was going through the articles looking for more new updos to try and i also managed to make a decent chinese bun! Oiled hair...is defently easier to style. Though im having trouble tucking in the ends. squeeee

Im so happy its silly

I'm really happy for you for learning these new styles! I would love to see pics. :)

I didn't know that flat irons exsisted until I was 23 or so. I thought those girls just had naturally straight hair. Isn't that silly?? I also didn't know about back combing or anything other than drying it out so it wouldn't freeze walking to school. No blow outs, nothing. I always envied the girls with the straight hair and the "bubble" (pulling front part up and back with a little pooch) look, I thought their hair just did that. Witches ;p The only things I knew were from when my grandmother and mom were growing up-rag curls at night to create curls, (I did know about curling irons too) and the french brain and the bun.

I didn't know about flat-irons until a couple of years ago, so don't feel bad. I always straightened my hair with the blow fryer, so I assumed that's how everyone straightened theirs, unless their hair was naturally straight.

I had no idea how that pouf thing was done, either. So I guess we both belong in this club. :)

n3m3sis42
July 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
You're welcome!

A monthly challenge is a great idea! Since we're already on the 20th, I think I am going to try and decide on a few styles for next month's challenge. :hmm:

I need more variety than my standard "scrunchie bun" to wear to work. My most recent attempt at a new updo was a figure eight braided bun, which somehow morphed into a figure nine instead...:shrug:

This is a perfect thread to learn and progress on! :bluesmile

If you want to join the next challenge, I think I'm going to do my same challenge style (equilibrium bun) again for July. I saw the picture of your "figure 9" bun, and it was still much better than I'm sure my attempt would be. ;-)

Man this thread has blown up. Somehow it got off my subscribed threads too, so I haven't seen it in a while, I'll have to catch back up.

Hi! It's always fun/interesting catching up on threads that have become enormous. I hope you will join us for the next hair idiots' challenge! :)

amaiaisabella
July 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Hi, all! I have somewhat managed a cinammon bun, small though it might be, and I have been doing that pretty regularly. I have also added criss-crossing sticks to decorate said bun :) The other days I will do my low braided pigtails.

I just hate putting the hair up when it's clean! I love to wear it down then. I have a better excuse when I want to put off washing and I just throw it back. Anybody else feel this way?

Fyral
July 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM
not sure if i qualify as a hair idiot or not since all i can really do with my hair is pull it into a pony tail and mess around with three strand braids (i use a couple variants depending on my mood) but then again i'm a guy not too much else a guy can do with their hair and not have it look strange. although a friend once put it into a top knot for me for my black belt test, that was awesome

Indigo Girl
July 5th, 2008, 07:46 PM
If you want to join the next challenge, I think I'm going to do my same challenge style (equilibrium bun) again for July. I saw the picture of your "figure 9" bun, and it was still much better than I'm sure my attempt would be. ;-)

Aw, thanks! :bluesmile I remember feeling like the figure 8 I had done was perfect. Then I got a back view and...:doh:

I think this month I'm going to try and do a french twist that I can hold with my ficarre, as I think that would be a very nice hairstyle for work. This will definitely prove to be a challenge for me, since normally my french twists have a turdish lump in the middle area and a ghastly '80's style lift at the the top. So, french twist for July! :D

ladykemma
July 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM
i can't braid my own hair...

Pierre
July 5th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I can now do Dutch braids so that they stay braided for four days with nothing holding the ends :) Any suggestions what I should try next?

WaimeaWahine
July 6th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Do I qualify?

Desperately in need of a trim since the one and only time it's been done it was completely uneven.

Clueless me gets this as a top hit after entering search terms into Google:

"How to Trim the Ear Hair on Long Haired and Curly Haired Cats."

Oh my. Now browsing articles here at LHC...

n3m3sis42
July 6th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hi, all! I have somewhat managed a cinammon bun, small though it might be, and I have been doing that pretty regularly. I have also added criss-crossing sticks to decorate said bun :) The other days I will do my low braided pigtails.

I just hate putting the hair up when it's clean! I love to wear it down then. I have a better excuse when I want to put off washing and I just throw it back. Anybody else feel this way?

Yay! I'm so happy for you that you've found another style that your hair will do. I know it was frustrating for you that your hair wasn't quite long enough to do most styles. My hair is almost waist-length, and my cinnamon bun is still pretty small because I just have thin, fine hair. So don't feel bad about your small bun. :)

I feel the same way you do about updos on clean hair. The only reason I'm wearing updos just after washing is that my ends are seriously thin and I'm trying to avoid trimming until at least the end of summer. Once I get my ends cleaned up, I'm sure I will be back to wearing my hair down on wash days.

not sure if i qualify as a hair idiot or not since all i can really do with my hair is pull it into a pony tail and mess around with three strand braids (i use a couple variants depending on my mood) but then again i'm a guy not too much else a guy can do with their hair and not have it look strange. although a friend once put it into a top knot for me for my black belt test, that was awesome

I definitely think it's harder for guys because people are so weird about men with long hair. I know there are other longhaired men on LHC, though... if any of them happen to stop by this thread, I hope they will share styles that have worked for them.

n3m3sis42
July 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Aw, thanks! :bluesmile I remember feeling like the figure 8 I had done was perfect. Then I got a back view and...:doh:

I think this month I'm going to try and do a french twist that I can hold with my ficarre, as I think that would be a very nice hairstyle for work. This will definitely prove to be a challenge for me, since normally my french twists have a turdish lump in the middle area and a ghastly '80's style lift at the the top. So, french twist for July! :D

Awesome... I'm so glad you will be joining the challenge! I'm going to try to do an equilibrium bun today and will post pics if it actually works out well. :)

n3m3sis42
July 6th, 2008, 08:24 AM
i can't braid my own hair...

I can do three-strand braids, but they always look funky because I can't seem to get the top part to lie nicely.

I can now do Dutch braids so that they stay braided for four days with nothing holding the ends :) Any suggestions what I should try next?

Ooh, I'm impressed! Can you do a rope braid yet?

Do I qualify?

Desperately in need of a trim since the one and only time it's been done it was completely uneven.

Clueless me gets this as a top hit after entering search terms into Google:

"How to Trim the Ear Hair on Long Haired and Curly Haired Cats."

Oh my. Now browsing articles here at LHC...

You qualify if you think you do. Everyone is welcome here. :)

I think that a lot of people on LHC use the Feye Self-Trim method to trim their own hair. I'm personally too scared to try trimming my own hair as I have seen what happened on the occasions where I cut my own bangs.

You might try the "feyeselftrim" community on LiveJournal. Or you may be able to find other resources on this method by Googling. Hope that helps. :)

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

WaimeaWahine
July 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM
:blossom:

Thank you so much for making me feel welcome. :)

susiemw
July 8th, 2008, 10:00 AM

If you like braids, how about a rope braid?

susan

Siava
July 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I am definitely joining the Hair Idiots Club. This is what I can do so far:

1. Put it in a ponytail.
2. Cram it into a big claw clip.
3. Get it to stay (somewhat) up using one hair stick. Trying to use two boggles my simple brain.

I can kinda sorta braid it, but it looks awful. I am not coordinated AT ALL by the sole sense of touch. I have to see, but with hair being behind me, even when looking in a mirror, it's weird. Still, I'm determined to keep trying.

n3m3sis42
July 11th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I am definitely joining the Hair Idiots Club. This is what I can do so far:

1. Put it in a ponytail.
2. Cram it into a big claw clip.
3. Get it to stay (somewhat) up using one hair stick. Trying to use two boggles my simple brain.

I can kinda sorta braid it, but it looks awful. I am not coordinated AT ALL by the sole sense of touch. I have to see, but with hair being behind me, even when looking in a mirror, it's weird. Still, I'm determined to keep trying.

Hi and welcome! I have issues with standard (English?) braids because I can never get the top part looking right.

As far as using two hair sticks goes, my second stick is usually mostly for decoration and/or balance. It took me a while to get a really good grasp on how to get an updo anchored really well with a hairstick, but once I got that, it was pretty easy to get the second stick to slide in so that it looked nice and added a little extra balance.

For me, the trick of getting my hair to stay up with a stick is that I need to slide my stick into the bun so that it's pointing away from the bun. Then I turn it inwards and push it through the bun. I'm probably not explaining it right, and it was confusing to me when I saw someone else trying to explain it, so I just kept trying to do it and eventually it stuck.

Of course, I can really only do like 2 or 3 kinds of buns anyway, but that's not the point. ;-)