PDA

View Full Version : Hair Venting

Charentais
January 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
I went to a cheapie hair cutting shop today. You know the sort...$14 for a hair cut. Yeah.

I needed a trim. It's been a while, because I've been trying to grow my hair long, which makes sense since I'm posting this in the LHC. Yeah.

So.

I sat down. Before I could stop her, the lady ripped a tiny black comb through my dry, 2a/2b hair. Ripped.

I weep. I gnash my teeth.

What are you weeping about, in regards to your hair?

Luckysock
January 2nd, 2010, 04:39 PM
i got two velcro rollers stuck in my hair last week and had to rip them out - I vented last week, but I still feel badly about it lol.

julliams
January 2nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
What did you do? Did you tell her, leave or sit there and imagine what it would be like to have the guts to tell her?

Gosh, I don't know what I would have done.

ArienEllariel
January 2nd, 2010, 04:42 PM
I've had that happen before. I hate it when stylists do that. :hatchet: It's like they're just trying to get you in and out of the chair as fast as they can whilst separating you from your money. That's the very reason why I plan on trimming my own hair from now on (unless I find someone who isn't going to treat my hair like crap).

slz
January 2nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Had to dye 3 times in 8 days. Each time, parting the hair = lots of breakage. I cringe when I wipe the floor even after a simple combing, you can imagine how that much handling upsets me :justy: .

Oh and about hair stylists : I never had any not rip through my hair with the comb. Never. Probably they're taught that way ??

SunshineHair
January 2nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Salon people are just awful! They use hot water on the head, they pull hard and use heat to dry the hair once they are finished...

So sorry she ripped through your percious hair! She is mean!!!

SunshineHair
January 2nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
Oh and I almost for got the most painful thing they do, they practicly ripe out your hair when they are washing it in those deep sinks they have. My goosh, brought tears to my eyes also :( It is like that at every one I have been to, and I always say, please be gentle I am tender headed, think they are gentle nooooooooooooo

spidermom
January 2nd, 2010, 04:59 PM
I'm crying because every time I work out I get so sweaty that I have to at least rinse my hair if not wash it, and this means that my hair seems to be wet about half the time.

Charentais
January 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
(((weepy long hairs!)))

Well, I made her stop, but she was really fast. When she pulled out the hair dryer, I stopped her in time. Whew!

hazelnut
January 2nd, 2010, 05:23 PM
I remember one instance when I used to go to the hairdresser and she used to bring tears to my eyes when she: A.) would burn me with the flatiron and B.) when she saw that my hair was breaking off and she would tell me that I need to stop doing whatever it was that I was doing to my hair ( even though I never did anything to it. I only went to HER to do my hair...... she couldn't do the math and figure out that SHE was breaking my hair off!!!!!:mad:).

Pear Martini
January 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
When I was still coloring my hair, I went in to a new salon to get my roots done. It took me 20 minutes to notice my stylist smelled drunk, like straight up booze. Not only that but she went out to smoke while I was in the chair. I can't believe thats allowed! I'm glad I am my own stylist now.

jaine
January 2nd, 2010, 06:10 PM
I like my hair stylist ... I guess I'm in the minority ... but I do have something else to vent about.
Hair Boredom!

It's too short to start experimenting with curls and waves and updos. And I won't be switching up the cut & color while it's growing. So I look in the mirror every day and see pretty much the same exact hair as the day before. I have a need for variety so this bugs me a lot.

I guess it's not the end of the world though ... I just need other non-hair strategies for variety while I wait ... earrings, makeup, clothes, etc.

Charentais
January 2nd, 2010, 06:18 PM
The lady did give me a nice trim and we had a lovely chat. I just wish she didn't comb my dry hair!

<weep!>

It just occurred to me that this is the first time I've had hair that was long enough to prompt a stylist to use a comb. It was too short, in the past. This is why it caught me completely off guard. All of that babying and coddling of my tresses is gone to waste. I'm catastrophizing.

I'm enjoying all of your posts! Thank you!

<gnash!>

SunshineHair
January 2nd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Dont worry Charentais! I am sure one visit there didnt destroy your hair!

Next time make sure you tell them exactly what they can and can not do! If they wont listen or give attitude, walk out!! It is your hair, not theirs!!!

Cholera
January 2nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
I haven't really had much to cry about in the last few months, but it makes me very angry that I haven't seemed to have a haircut that I actually wanted to keep since I moved to Southern Oregon (from Portland) two and a half years ago!
My last hair cut, which was just supposed to be layering before I bleached the top layer, was AWFUL! She cut the left side in a curve (what?!) and the right side was blunt (was she even paying attention?!). I wanted to cut it to my chin, and I was nearly crying for about a week before I decided to tough it out. I've been afraid of getting a trim anywhere down here since then. /rant

ArienEllariel
January 2nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
I haven't really had much to cry about in the last few months, but it makes me very angry that I haven't seemed to have a haircut that I actually wanted to keep since I moved to Southern Oregon (from Portland) two and a half years ago!
My last hair cut, which was just supposed to be layering before I bleached the top layer, was AWFUL! She cut the left side in a curve (what?!) and the right side was blunt (was she even paying attention?!). I wanted to cut it to my chin, and I was nearly crying for about a week before I decided to tough it out. I've been afraid of getting a trim anywhere down here since then. /rant

I've also had issues with stylists cutting my hair shorter on one side/crooked. I don't get it, this is what they're doing for a living. I think as a hairdresser you should be able to cut hair straight. :rolleyes: The idea is that you don't have to go home and try to fix it yourself after paying to go to a salon.

whiteisle
January 2nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
The lady I use to go to would:

Let some other lady wash my hair who used her fingernails to scratch all over my head - oooowwww!!!

Put the hairdryer so close it would scorch my scalp.

Use thinning shears all over after drying it.

Flat iron.

This was before LHC and me knowing that I shouldn't have to deal with that sort of stuff. I realize now that most "stylists" know little in the way of hair care.

Thankfully I have been enlightened. :D Now I'm even contemplating trimming my own hair next time it needs it...well, maybe...if I can get the nerve up. :p

whiteisle
January 2nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
I've also had issues with stylists cutting my hair shorter on one side/crooked. I don't get it, this is what they're doing for a living. I think as a hairdresser you should be able to cut hair straight. :rolleyes: The idea is that you don't have to go home and try to fix it yourself after paying to go to a salon.

Oh, this would burn DH so bad! I would come home and complain about this or that after dropping a wad at the salon. It would be crooked, cut wrong, not what I asked for, etc. And it didn't matter where I went. None of them seem to be adept at what they did. :disgust:
And silly me, I just kept going back. *slaps forehead*

Sheltie_Momma
January 2nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
If the stylist doesn't check her work then I check it, right there in the chair so they can fix it while I'm still there. By checking I mean raising the pieces on either side up to check that they are level, etc. My Mom was a hair stylist so I know what to look for. It might be worth letting them dry it enough to at least be able to tell if it is even - not full on styling with high heat but just enough to be certain that it is going to lay correctly.

squiggyflop
January 3rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
hair hair hair everywhere. i cleaned my bathroom and there was hair stuck EVERYWHERE..

ugh i wont go to cost cutters anymore because they ripped through my hair and tended to cut inches more than i ask for

GoddesJourney
January 3rd, 2010, 09:30 AM
My mom always cut my hair as a kid and she did a much better job than anywhere I went to actually pay for it. I've cut hers in return a few times now. I cut my own now to avoid all this trouble. However, I do remember my own mother ripping through my hair with a brush and yanking my head around when she would put my hair up. I would cry as a kid (it even hurt my little neck). I think honestly that people get so used to doing a task that they want to just get it done quickly and forget that they're working on a live human head. Be nice, people. There's another person down there beneath all that hair. Please!

girlcat36
January 3rd, 2010, 09:33 AM
I sat down. Before I could stop her, the lady ripped a tiny black comb through my dry, 2a/2b hair. Ripped.

I have sworn off stylists. Because I have never encountered one who did not know enough to NOT rip a comb through my dry fragile hair!
It didn't matter if they were at Procuts or a higher end salon. They always started at the top and riiiiiiiiip!
I could never figure out why they didn't know better!:confused:

I remember one instance when I used to go to the hairdresser and she used to bring tears to my eyes when she: A.) would burn me with the flatiron and B.) when she saw that my hair was breaking off and she would tell me that I need to stop doing whatever it was that I was doing to my hair ( even though I never did anything to it. I only went to HER to do my hair...... she couldn't do the math and figure out that SHE was breaking my hair off!!!!!:mad:).

Stylists would always say to me, "Oh no--you hair is soooo damaged...."
I didn't brush, heat style, or use harsh shampoos. :(
What I was doing was occasionally letting a stylist rip combs through my hair when going for a trim; and using the silicone laden conditioners and serums that they told me I needed.

rach
January 3rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
problem with anywhere i went is for some stupid reason they don't automatically think to comb or brush from bottom hairs up to minimize breakage or "owchness" of it. Isn't it logical to do so?
and no one understands that thick hair needs a little more time to even out also......

plain and simple, i learnt and no more - no one is touching my hair again.