PDA

View Full Version : how long? APL-BSL?

redneckprincess
January 2nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
as happy as I am to finally be APL,:cheese::cheese::cheese: I feel like I have spent a lifetime here,.... chop,chop,chop..... here,.... chop,chop,chop...you know the drill

I wonder how long did it take you from reaching APL to reaching BSL?
Did you do any cutting/trimming/S&D'ing?

I know it varries from person to person and I can do the math and measuring and I figure I could be there in about 6 months, but I would like to know from someone who has already been there...pics (or links to) pictures are helpful ☺

Gumball
January 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
I actually don't know how long it took me. I'd have to look through photos and see if there's a record. I've been blissfully ignorant of exact growth so as to not drive myself crazy with measurements. I just eventually hit it. :) Sorry that I'm absolutely no help here! :lol:

I think I trimmed sometimes when my ends were really bad (I don't know if at that time I was still being all mean to my hair, but I likely was).

Speckla
January 2nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
It took me about 6 months.

Liss
January 2nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
I guess it depends on how well fitting your bra is!
I guestimate mine took about 8 months, with half an inch growth per month and a trim during that time.

Addy
January 2nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
I just looked at my photo's and I went from shoulder in 7/08 to bsl in 7/09.

So I'm guessing 6 months or so to apl.

Happy growing. :)

Kris Dove
January 2nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
It took me about a year- but I had some trims from scissor-happy hairdressers during that time so it'd probably take less than that.

julliams
January 2nd, 2010, 06:46 PM
A couple of months and depends on whether you count the top of your bra strap as BSL or the bottom. I'm probably still not officially BSL but I do count myself as that because the tips of my hair do reach my bra strap. It really won't take long. For me this was the most difficult phase because it is the one where I got sick of it and went for a cut. I think you will find it will go pretty fast and now you can do some of those hairstyles you have been seeing others do. I can now do a lazy wrap bun, a pencil bun and my braids look better.

Juliette

lapushka
January 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
I started at chin length in August 2008. I think I was APL slightly less than a year later. I am now almost BSL, though. About 4 to 6 months, I guess.

Heavenly Locks
January 3rd, 2010, 09:52 AM
I used the bottom of the strap as BSL :) I started here at APL and to get to BSL took about 6 months with no trims. Good luck!! :thumbsup:

halo_tightens
January 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
**stalks thread with interest...**

redneckprincess
January 3rd, 2010, 10:37 AM
I plan to use mid-BSL, but I will probally count the very second one of my hairs (probally streatched) reaches the top of my BS, lol

InTheCity
January 3rd, 2010, 10:42 AM
I'd say I was solidly at APL in February of 2009, right about when I was starting LHC and to seriously grow. (21 inches) I got to BSL in December (25 inches)

In that time, I did a few light S&D's and had one trim of .5-.75"

This was with no heat, minimal damage, all the hard but useful LHC "rules" and my hair is now the longest it's ever been.

Looking at the math I guess it was just about dead on. 4 inches in 10 months and one small trim is roughly the 6" we're supposed to get per year.

spidermom
January 3rd, 2010, 10:43 AM
I went from APL to solidly BSL in one year, with a trim every 3 months.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/2005.jpghttp://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/2006.jpg
October 2005 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - October 2006

marikamt
January 3rd, 2010, 10:52 AM
I have monthly growth pics in my album... feel free to take a look.
I joined at the end of July 09 and based on the pic, it looks like I was slightly past APL. I hit BSL at the end of Oct, so I am guessing 6 mos.......... maybe a little less, but I don't think it was more.

Debra83
January 3rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
I think it took me less than six months - the proof would be in my album - but I have a ride coming right now, so I will have to check back later! :)

Tryst
January 3rd, 2010, 11:37 AM
My hair grows in a really wicked taper, so the point went shooting past BSL really fast (just a few months) but for the rest to catch up....probably about 6 months.

Clarisse
January 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
I didn't really care to much about my hair, when it was APL. I did lots of bad things to it back then - high lights, hot styling tools and such... But when I look at pictures, it took me more than a year to go from APL to BSL. My hair has a completely average growth rate, but it seems like many LHC people has a very quick growth rate.
My brastrap fits right below the bottom of my shoulder blades, and I consider the bottom of the strap BSL.

redneckprincess
January 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
so it sounds like my calculations are about right on...6 months sounds like a plan, right in time for the middle of summer!!! ♥

angelthadiva
January 3rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
I don't know either. I was waist length or just past and chopped to above shoulder. Too short to even put into a ponytail. This was almost 8 years ago. I'm just past 44" now with very infrequent trims on just the ends to keep them from feeling like velcro.

I wear my hair up and forget about it. As a matter of fact, it wasn't until yesterday when a kind soul here asked me about my length. I had it listed as 43" and she thought it looked much longer. That's when it dawned on me that I had not measured in a while and low and behold; it had grown more than an inch!

My advice: hide the tape measure AND the red stripe shirt AND the scissors. Wear your hair up as much as you can and baby it. IE: Do some nice deep condishes, scritch etc. The less things you do to damage it (over styling/heat styling/bleach/dye) the longer and stronger your hair will be.

I hope you don't take this as me picking on you; because that is truly not my intent; but it seems to me that from time to time you cave in for a fleeting immediate satisfaction without being able to keep your long term goals in mind.

If you are able to keep your eye on the prize (so to speak) and filter these temporal urges through some sort of check list like: If I bleach/color or perm/chemical straighten or cut how is this getting me closer to my long term goal? If the answer ends up being this will hinder my progress; then you won't be able to cave into your temporal urge. The actual reward is to delay gratification; because you know these temporal urges don't align with your long term goal.

EdG made an excellent post a while back when he shared a compliment he gave to a fellow long hair...It was something along the lines, "You have mastered patience". Having long hair does take patience. To have long hair you can't cave into every whim, fashion trend or go with popular opinion etc.

Growing long hair is like watching a pot boil. And you know what *they* say...A watched pot does not boil :D Here is to wishing you patience in 2010 :bottomsup:

Spring
January 3rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
It takes me about 6 months....

jojo
January 3rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
It depends where you call BSL really some wear their bra just under their armpits which really isnt BSL its apl, the true definition of BSL is at the widest part of the ribs, so where talking a good 6" or 12 months or growth!

Some use the top of their bra strap as this goal, which is all fair and well but it means in theory waist takes longer!

I have found each goal has taken me a year to achieve with trims, but I found APL to BSL one of the most frustrating and slowest growing periods too (sorry) but I got there and so will you!

My photos are in my album, your hair is growing along fine and you will make BSL before you know it!

heres my apl photo nov 08 and I wear my bra high up under my arm pit, but to the bottom (4 hook bra) it measured 26") http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=354&pictureid=24447

klcqtee
January 3rd, 2010, 11:05 PM
angelthadiva I love your advice! I have many times fallen to the whim of immediate gratification. I think everyone who suffers from that itch should read your eloquent post. (Not to say the OP suffers from the temporal urge like I do!)

Michou
January 3rd, 2010, 11:20 PM
rnprincess, your hair is looking so glossy!

APL to BSL was very quick for me, but I also lost track of time. Maybe 6 months, no trims? I'm short though, so BSL isn't as big a deal on me as it would be on a taller woman.

angelthadiva
January 4th, 2010, 12:21 AM
angelthadiva I love your advice! I have many times fallen to the whim of immediate gratification. I think everyone who suffers from that itch should read your eloquent post. (Not to say the OP suffers from the temporal urge like I do!)

Thank you! This doesn't just apply to hair goals. You (or anyone) could apply this mindset to anything. We are a society of instant gratification. We want it our way right away and even that is not fast enough.

Truly successful people master delayed gratification Stanford Marshmallow Test (http://fitzvillafuerte.com/delayed-gratification-marshmallow-test.html). I've noticed in my own life when I give into those temporal temptations; I'm often disappointed in the long run. If I had just waited a little longer I could have really reaped the benefit of of something I really wanted.

I tried to illustrate this to DS15 before Christmas. He wanted an XBox 360 but he lacked the funds to purchase the one he really wanted. I encouraged him to wait until after Christmas to see what he got. He often gets cash from family, so he could easily add that to what he already had and get the one he really wanted. Also, from time to time they run sales on those game systems, so he could have gotten the one he really wanted at a better price.

He decided against my words of wisdom and bought the cheaper game station, played it on Christmas Eve eve and by Christmas Day he had buyers remorse because he realized that I was right (although he never came out and said that). If he would have waited 2 days he could have bought the one he really wanted. :rolleyes: I guess I can show him better than I can tell him. I had hoped this would be a teachable moment for him...Maybe next time.

It's also a good idea to invoke the 2 week rule when considering doing the aforementioned things to your hair. By then hopefully reason will talk you out of doing anything drastic you will later regret. :flower:

Masara
January 4th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I've just checked my album and I went from APL in April 08 to BSL in October 08, or possibly December 08 depending on the bra. It was a good period because with each month, it felt longer and I could do more things with it.

redneckprincess
January 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Thank you! This doesn't just apply to hair goals. You (or anyone) could apply this mindset to anything. We are a society of instant gratification. We want it our way right away and even that is not fast enough.

Truly successful people master delayed gratification Stanford Marshmallow Test (http://fitzvillafuerte.com/delayed-gratification-marshmallow-test.html). I've noticed in my own life when I give into those temporal temptations; I'm often disappointed in the long run. If I had just waited a little longer I could have really reaped the benefit of of something I really wanted.

I tried to illustrate this to DS15 before Christmas. He wanted an XBox 360 but he lacked the funds to purchase the one he really wanted. I encouraged him to wait until after Christmas to see what he got. He often gets cash from family, so he could easily add that to what he already had and get the one he really wanted. Also, from time to time they run sales on those game systems, so he could have gotten the one he really wanted at a better price.

He decided against my words of wisdom and bought the cheaper game station, played it on Christmas Eve eve and by Christmas Day he had buyers remorse because he realized that I was right (although he never came out and said that). If he would have waited 2 days he could have bought the one he really wanted. :rolleyes: I guess I can show him better than I can tell him. I had hoped this would be a teachable moment for him...Maybe next time.

It's also a good idea to invoke the 2 week rule when considering doing the aforementioned things to your hair. By then hopefully reason will talk you out of doing anything drastic you will later regret. :flower:

I wasnt planning on doing anything drastic, just seeing how long it took others to grow from APl to BSL?!~?!

I've just checked my album and I went from APL in April 08 to BSL in October 08, or possibly December 08 depending on the bra. It was a good period because with each month, it felt longer and I could do more things with it.

yes Masara, as you well know I follow your progress and refer back to it in order to best guess my projected growth... I am thinking I am solodly 2 years behind you-maybe less!! ☺

melrose1985
January 4th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I think i'm in the same boat as you. I'm at APL now (siggy shows it) I think the BS is a little pushed up sometimes so i'm saying or giving myself till spring time to be around BSL. I wont be doing any trims either, well maybe a mirco trim.

treesandcoffee
January 4th, 2010, 02:33 PM
so it sounds like my calculations are about right on...6 months sounds like a plan, right in time for the middle of summer!!! ♥

I'm right there with you, redneckprincess! BSL, here we come!

Although my hair is made up of 3A-3C curls, I will be optimistic and give myself until mid-summer as well!

Happy growing, good luck!

Spring
January 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM
It depends where you call BSL really some wear their bra just under their armpits which really isnt BSL its apl, the true definition of BSL is at the widest part of the ribs, so where talking a good 6" or 12 months or growth!

Some use the top of their bra strap as this goal, which is all fair and well but it means in theory waist takes longer!

I have found each goal has taken me a year to achieve with trims, but I found APL to BSL one of the most frustrating and slowest growing periods too (sorry) but I got there and so will you!

My photos are in my album, your hair is growing along fine and you will make BSL before you know it!

heres my apl photo nov 08 and I wear my bra high up under my arm pit, but to the bottom (4 hook bra) it measured 26") http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=354&pictureid=24447

Bsl and bsb (bottom of shoulder blade) are the same, except that bsl is conditional based upon what type of bra someone is wearing. So, armpit to the bottom of your shoulder blade can measure approximately 3 1/2 inches or more and doesn't require a year of growth.

jojo
January 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM
rnprincess, your hair is looking so glossy!

APL to BSL was very quick for me, but I also lost track of time. Maybe 6 months, no trims? I'm short though, so BSL isn't as big a deal on me as it would be on a taller woman. tell me about it, i am not over tall but have long torso..took forever or seemed it at the time!

jojo
January 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Bsl and bsb (bottom of shoulder blade) are the same, except that bsl is conditional based upon what type of bra someone is wearing. So, armpit to the bottom of your shoulder blade can measure approximately 3 1/2 inches or more and doesn't require a year of growth.
Well my shoulder blades dont fall in the widest part of my ribs dont fall on my widest part of the ribs, the widest part is classed as 3 ribs up from the bottom. Also as I said iit depends where you wear your bra really and how tall you are and back length for me, a difference of nearly 5" and I grow less than 1/2" a month so yes it was a reality for me! 3.5" is like 10 months growth for me!
and 3.5" isnt a huge figure when your 5 foot 7, if I was say only 5 foot it could mean the jump from apl to bsl in say 7 months if you grow the average 1/2" a month.

I am not nit picking just basically answering the posters question as to how long did APL to BSL take for the individual, for me it took 12 months.

Best thing to do is join the apl to bsl redneckprincess it makes growing that much easier with those going through it!

Spring
January 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM

The comments in bold were worded in a way that was directed at others across the board, so I wanted to clarify that apl to bsb or bsl may not be 6 inches on others.

redneckprincess
January 4th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Well my shoulder blades dont fall in the widest part of my ribs dont fall on my widest part of the ribs, the widest part is classed as 3 ribs up from the bottom. Also as I said iit depends where you wear your bra really and how tall you are and back length for me, a difference of nearly 5" and I grow less than 1/2" a month so yes it was a reality for me! 3.5" is like 10 months growth for me!
and 3.5" isnt a huge figure when your 5 foot 7, if I was say only 5 foot it could mean the jump from apl to bsl in say 7 months if you grow the average 1/2" a month.

I am not nit picking just basically answering the posters question as to how long did APL to BSL take for the individual, for me it took 12 months.

Best thing to do is join the apl to bsl redneckprincess it makes growing that much easier with those going through it!

I have JoJo, thanks...6 moths or even 1 year isnt bad at all

Messyhair
January 4th, 2010, 07:10 PM
About 7 months for me, with trims of 0.5" every 3 months.

jojo
January 4th, 2010, 07:41 PM
The comments in bold were worded in a way that was directed at others across the board, so I wanted to clarify that apl to bsb or bsl may not be 6 inches on others.
I think we are at cross wires here, i was speaking purely about my own measurements and experience in getting to bsl. The internet sometimes can be read differently to how the poster intends.

jojo
January 4th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I have JoJo, thanks...6 moths or even 1 year isnt bad at all
yeah its a good place to start and its good to support each other trying to reach similar goals. I hope you didnt think i was implying you wouldnt get there or anything. I was just stating that bsl is a frustrating goal thats all.
Personally, if i ever cut my hair short again, I would compleatly ignore the bsl stage and grow from apl to waist! it annoyed the hell out of me getting there (i am never cutting again btw) xxx

Masara
January 4th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Masara, as you well know I follow your progress and refer back to it in order to best guess my projected growth... I am thinking I am solodly 2 years behind you-maybe less!! ☺

Looking at your most recent photos, I'd say less than 2 years. Don't forget, I'm only 5ft tall though. APL to BSL was only about 3 inches.

Spring
January 4th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I think we are at cross wires here, i was speaking purely about my own measurements and experience in getting to bsl. [B]The internet sometimes can be read differently to how the poster intends.

Yeah, I had to reread that several times. Thanks for coming back and clarifying, because reading it the first time without your explanation was a little confusing :).

ButterCup02
January 5th, 2010, 12:48 AM
It took me about 8 months to get from APL to BSL. However I had 2 trims in there.

silvergirl
January 6th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I was apl in sept 2009 and I'm about an inch and a half away. So it'll probably be 6 months are so .

SeaShell
January 6th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I had mine cut to APL on Jan 1 2009 and it was BSL by July 2009 so about 7 months I'd say

feralnature
January 6th, 2010, 02:43 PM
redneckprincess...I remember when you joined up here and I see how very LONG your hair has gotten! I don't know if you really see it like I do. I don't log on here every day, sometimes going weeks without logging on and when I come back, your hair has GROWN! I remember you because of your name, "redneckprincess"...you see, I too, am a redneck, living down here in Texas in the sticks. Not sure if I am a princess though LOL more like a pauper-ette! Anyway, you are easy to remember and I see great progress with your hair!

So do the HAPPY DANCE! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

Backliteyes
January 6th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I was perplexed reading this thread when people mentioned wearing bras just under their armpits because I wear mine a good 3-4 inches down my ribcage from that. Then I felt a lot better when I remembered that I have a long torso. :o Now I feel a lot better about how long it's taking me to creep towards BSL. I'm going to split the difference between the top and bottom of the strap and say I'm BSL when I hit the middle. :D I've been APL+ for a while (had two small trims since I hit APL), but I've resolved to not trim again until at least June 2010, so I ought to be solidly there by then.

redneckprincess
January 7th, 2010, 07:52 AM
redneckprincess...I remember when you joined up here and I see how very LONG your hair has gotten! I don't know if you really see it like I do. I don't log on here every day, sometimes going weeks without logging on and when I come back, your hair has GROWN! I remember you because of your name, "redneckprincess"...you see, I too, am a redneck, living down here in Texas in the sticks. Not sure if I am a princess though LOL more like a pauper-ette! Anyway, you are easy to remember and I see great progress with your hair!

So do the HAPPY DANCE! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

no I hardly see it, I mean I do but probally not as good as you, thank you so much. it means alot to hear someone else say they notice

feralnature
January 7th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I remember when you wanted to cut off all the blonde damaged ends and I posted that you should NOT because one day when your hair was long, it would look like a flame with the damaged blonde part looking like the tips. And now look at it! It DOES look like a flame! :)

HeatherMae
January 7th, 2010, 05:04 PM
It took me about a year to get from APL to BSL with no trims. Congrats to you on the APL though! I have to say too, that when I saw your new progress picture for this month I thought "Her hair is really looking long now." :) You are making great progress!!!!

redneckprincess
January 7th, 2010, 05:22 PM
[

I remember when you wanted to cut off all the blonde damaged ends and I posted that you should NOT because one day when your hair was long, it would look like a flame with the damaged blonde part looking like the tips. And now look at it! It DOES look like a flame! :)

Im still debating cutting off those ends...but Im holding out until my virgin hair is APL anyways...But thank you!!! I do like the 2 tone...most days, lol

It took me about a year to get from APL to BSL with no trims. Congrats to you on the APL though! I have to say too, that when I saw your new progress picture for this month I thought "Her hair is really looking long now." :) You are making great progress!!!!
thank you...it dont feel like it, but when I look at pics from 6 mo back through my last cut (last feb) it looks, and feels longer ☺

squiggyflop
January 7th, 2010, 07:24 PM
it took me about 6 weeks.. but im a freak of nature.. it took me 6 months to get to waist from shoulder..
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/hair.jpg (this is a couple inches shy of APL in september 2007
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/kidmol/1105071325crop.jpg this is november 2007.. my hand is resting on my hip.. wow i was skinny.. i was like 110 pounds at the time
i figure that i must have hit APL somewhere in the middle of september and was bsl in the beginning of november..

i was taking a lot of vitamins and was eating a ton of protein
yes i trimmed 2 inches in between the 2 pictures.. i couldnt help myself.. the hair grew so fast that it was all uneven

Crysta
January 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM
gosh, I can't ever remember being APL or BSL x)

but with my rate of hair growth and the space between them, I'd put it at 6-7 months for me.

I think that's about right ^^

and congrats!

___

also squiggy..

WOW what? o_O
can I have your hair growth rate?

brok3nwings
January 8th, 2010, 04:52 AM
it took me a year with no trims :P

squiggyflop
January 8th, 2010, 09:08 AM
also squiggy..

WOW what? o_O
can I have your hair growth rate?
um well it didnt stay that fast.. when i started college and was stressed out all the time and stopped taking hair vitamins my hair slowed down to a crawl

redneckprincess
January 12th, 2010, 09:47 AM
um well it didnt stay that fast.. when i started college and was stressed out all the time and stopped taking hair vitamins my hair slowed down to a crawl
DANG!!! thats great...what kinds of vitimans were you taking?

squiggyflop
January 12th, 2010, 10:43 AM
DANG!!! thats great...what kinds of vitimans were you taking?

natrol skin hair nails + a centrum knockoff (stop & shop generic) ive tried other vitamins but only natrol ever gave me results.. stupid greedy company keeps raising their prices.. i was taking them when they were only 6$ per month.. now i look up the price and its up to 16$.. evil greedy company

Stormy1
January 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Based on old pics from years ago when my hair was long ... it took 5 months.

However, I'm not sure I classified BSL the same as some others do.
At BSL, I was at 24 inches.

TheCatSaidQuack
January 12th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I guess it depends on how well fitting your bra is!
I guestimate mine took about 8 months, with half an inch growth per month and a trim during that time.
That made me smile! It took me about 7 months, but that was to the bottom of my bra strap, and my hair has always grown somewhat fast.

Debra83
January 17th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I took a step back today. sigh. Had to self trim because I was longer on the right than on the left. sigh. So I don't think I'm quite bsl still. sigh.

akilina
January 17th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I feel that im inbetween apl and bsl. I just now uploaded a picture from tonight :] I'm hoping that within this year I reach BSl and grow my layers out some.

dancedancedance
August 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM
*reopens thread*Is there a growing thread from apl to bsl? I was looking for it but I can't search for it because apl and bsl are too short to be included in the search.

christine1989
August 21st, 2010, 07:07 PM
I'm at the door of BSL (well actually I'm there if my hair is stretched) and it seemed to take an eternity but in reality it was only about 4 months (granted my hair grows a bit faster than average). With all of these waves though it seems to still be at APL some days. Yesterday my hair decided to dry straight though and it felt so long :).