PDA

View Full Version : What are some 'protein' conditioners?

motormuffin
January 2nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
What do I look for in the ingredients? I'm trying to figure out what my hair is missing and I'd like to try one that is heavy in proteins to see what happens.

ravenreed
January 2nd, 2010, 02:53 PM
A cheap one is the coconut Suave. This is my favorite smelling Suave and my hair hates all things protein, so I cannot use it!

It can either say things like wheat protein, silk protein or something more subtle like amino acids...

Cinnamon Hair
January 2nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
In addition to the ingredients ravenreed mentioned, look for anything "hydrolyzed" or "keratin".

susiet88
January 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
how do you know whether your hair likes protein or not? what types of conditioners don't have protein?

hennaphile
January 2nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
Aubrey organics gbp, trader joe's nourish...

motormuffin
January 2nd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Well it looks like just by luck I'm picking the protein ones. I have that aubrey organics one and the burt's bees has a bunch of those proteins in it. Maybe I should try one without proteins then...

rogue_psyche
January 3rd, 2010, 02:26 AM
What is it that your hair is missing? If you need protein your hair will stretch and then snap when it is wet. If you need moisture your hair will be brittle and feel like hay when it dries. Here's an article about protein and moisture which will explain it much better than I could: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepa ge=true&cat=69

One thing I'd like to add is that your hair's porosity will effect how much protein you need to give your hair. If you have used chemical dyes in the past it is very likely that your hair is more porous than it should be. Porous hair generally needs more protein.

ravenreed
January 3rd, 2010, 05:27 AM
When I use anything with protein, my ends turn into velcro, and feel like straw. It is hard to explain, but crispy comes to mind. And talk about tangles!

I use other Suave conditioners that do not have protein; off the top of my head, I think only the coconut one has it.

how do you know whether your hair likes protein or not? what types of conditioners don't have protein?

motormuffin
January 3rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
What is it that your hair is missing? If you need protein your hair will stretch and then snap when it is wet. If you need moisture your hair will be brittle and feel like hay when it dries. Here's an article about protein and moisture which will explain it much better than I could: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepa ge=true&cat=69

One thing I'd like to add is that your hair's porosity will effect how much protein you need to give your hair. If you have used chemical dyes in the past it is very likely that your hair is more porous than it should be. Porous hair generally needs more protein.
That is a great article and helped a ton!
I grabbed one of my shed hairs and it stretched and stretched so...more protein. I just happened to get their recommended keratin treatment last week on a whim from Sally. I'm growing out highlighted hair so I feel like I have Jekyll and Hyde hair. It looks like I'm on the right path...just need some fine tuning.
Thanks!