PDA

View Full Version : Protein supplementation for faster hair growth?

GuardGirl
January 2nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hey guys, for those of you who supplement with either amino acids or protein (like protein shakes or bars, for instance)~ have you noticed any faster or stronger hair growth?

If you have tried this type of supplementation in the past, even if you don't do it now, feedback would be much appreciated! I don't want to waste money on expensive protein powders if they don't give noticeable results, but I'm curious about their effects. Thanks! :)

jojo
January 3rd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Tried that this time last year and I saw no difference unfortunatelly.

whiteisle
January 3rd, 2010, 05:07 PM
I bought some powdered protein mix and protein bars last month because I needed to up my protein intake since I am nursing. I can't say for sure, but I do think it boosted my growth a bit. I was hanging around 19" for a while and now I'm 20.25". There could be a lot of factors involved with that but upping my protein has been my only major change so who knows? It could have helped! :)

Sissy
January 3rd, 2010, 05:08 PM
I do use protein shakes as snacks before a workout. I also like to eat them for breakfast. I noticed good weight loss when I was using more protein shakes (not sure if you're interested in that). I also had good hair growth during the time and my New Year's resolution is to lose weight and have healthier hair so I plan to start using protein shakes regularly again. It won't hurt your hair growth rate that's for sure. High quality protein sources will help with healthy hair growth as they'll help prevent weak, brittle hair and loss of hair color. Foods like salmon, eggs, poultry contain other nutrients and vitamins for hair health like b-12, iron, and biotin.

There are probably different protein mixes out there where some might not be as good as others and I'm not sure of all the different ones. I use a vegetarian friendly low calorie, low-fat, high protein, calcium, and minerals fortified one that is recommended by physicians. I have also used GNC Whey Protein powder in the past but I did not find it made me as full as the one I'm using now.. it didn't taste as good either. It also didn't have as complete of nutrition.

If you're concerned with the cost of protein shakes you could always try just consuming more protein - eggs, seafood, meat. If you're vegetarian eat more tofu, chickpeas, lentils, brown rice, whole wheat bread, soymilk... those food are all good protein sources.

So, essentially - YES I did notice improved hair health and good growth rate using protein shakes, and I personally plan to start using them again. Hope this helps.

whiteisle
January 3rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Sissy - what kind of shake do you use? I'm interested. :)

YoginiCelestial
January 3rd, 2010, 05:29 PM
I was eating alot of protein bars back in the Summer and maintaining a very healthy diet. I do yoga twice a week, sometimes more and have an active lifestyle. I love LUNA brand and Zone brand. I would eat a protein bar for lunch, and drink a bottled water, and walk for 30 minutes. My hair was growing really well, and since I've stopped I haven't had nearly as much growth. So in my experience more protein really helped. I plan to start eating more protein bars again after I've come to this realization.
Hair needs protein to grow, so if you feel you aren't getting enough protein, then you may be able to get a good boost from the protein bars or powder mix-in's and I'm sure your hair will benefit as well as your body.
I've read that a body only needs so much protein in a day, and I don't know what that level would be in grams, but that the rest is not used. But I don't think that too much protein would harm your health.

Sissy
January 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Sissy - what kind of shake do you use? I'm interested. :)

I will PM you the information on the shakes I use. You can mix veggies like spinach or fruits in with them. You can also make hot shakes, ice cream, mousses, and puddings.

My hair was growing really well, and since I've stopped I haven't had nearly as much growth. So in my experience more protein really helped. I plan to start eating more protein bars again after I've come to this realization.
Hair needs protein to grow, so if you feel you aren't getting enough protein, then you may be able to get a good boost from the protein bars or powder mix-in's and I'm sure your hair will benefit as well as your body.

I agree with this. I too have noticed a difference (hair has actually stalled growing) since I stopped my healthy lifestyle and routine which included exercising, eating protein shakes and protein, and drinking lots of water. I think hydration is key... water is so important to our bodies, healthy weight, and our hair health. I had lost 50 pounds, but since going totally off routine in October I now have regained 10 pounds.. .not good! I'm back on track for New Years. I really do feel a good combination of physical activity, healthy diet including lots of protein, and exercise will help hair growth. I also use a multi-vitamin and evening primrose, and MSM for hair supplements... have stopped taking those regularly and am also restarting those.

ladycatpurrs
January 3rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
My recipe is - fruit (either frozen berries or fresh pineapple and coconut), soy protein, brewer's yeast, amla powder, camu camu powder, no fat greek style yogurt, coconut oil, some kind of juice (orange with the berries, pineapple coconut with the p.apple and coconut), sweeten it with either grade b maple syrup or raw honey. Calories be darned, I am getting a solid inch a month of growth and have been for 5 months now, YAY!!! I also take supplements and eat other things that will make my hair grow but these are yummy and make both breakfast and lunch for me. Sigh...makes me want one now!

CrisDee
January 4th, 2010, 01:58 AM
My recipe is - fruit (either frozen berries or fresh pineapple and coconut), soy protein, brewer's yeast, amla powder, camu camu powder, no fat greek style yogurt, coconut oil, some kind of juice (orange with the berries, pineapple coconut with the p.apple and coconut), sweeten it with either grade b maple syrup or raw honey. Calories be darned, I am getting a solid inch a month of growth and have been for 5 months now, YAY!!! I also take supplements and eat other things that will make my hair grow but these are yummy and make both breakfast and lunch for me. Sigh...makes me want one now!

YUMMY! Never thought of my protein shakes as helping my hair, I just use them for my breakfast when I'm home (which isn't often with my job!). I use the Trader Joe's soy protein powder in the gigundous white jar with the purple label, cos it doesn't have sugar (I have a problem with sugar, and need to keep it to a minimum in my diet), with a banana thrown in, plain yogurt if I have it, stevia for sweetening, and milk up to "there" on my blender. I'll have to look into those other items you mentioned, I'm doing all I can to get this growing out pixie to a stage that's not driving me nuts! GuardGirl, thanks for starting this thread, I think nutrition plays a much bigger role with hair growth than we often realize. :)

Coriander
January 4th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I think I'll haul the protein powder out of the fridge and actually start using it. :D

The recipe ladycatpurrs posted looks amazing.

treesandcoffee
January 4th, 2010, 08:47 AM
But I don't think that too much protein would harm your health.

Too much protein can harm your health. In addition to kidney stress, too much protein leeches calcium out of your bones causing them to be weak and brittle. If you have a diet high in proteins from animals, it can cause high cholesterol and correlated diseases. Most Americans eat 2-3 times the amount of protein your body can use! I will say I am not a doctor or expert, but I have taken a variety of nutrition classes and also have been researching vegetarianism for years due to the fact that for a long time everyone around me freaked out over potential protein deficiency. What I found out was that everyone was just eating too much protein!

Eating a diet with a balance of complex carbs, 'healthy' fats, and protein should help anyone looking to improve health. Try not to exceed the amount of protein recommended for your size! You can look the amount needed for your weight through nutrition sites.

I am not saying you are unhealthy Yoginicelestial, or anyone on this thread because it actually sounds like everyone here is very, very healthy (especially you actually, your post has inspired me to do yoga this morning!). I just wanted to share this because so many people have misconceptions about protein.

Not having enough protein would affect your hair's growth and health, but protein deficiencies rare in the modern West. You would most likely see improvement from eating protein if you weren't getting enough of it before. Many protein shakes include essential vitamins and minerals, so it is possible that consuming these may contribute to hair health rather than the protein itself.

Sorry about that rant, I just have this thing with protein haha... it's like the 10 year old veg activist in me just came out..

plainjanegirl
January 4th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I will PM you the information on the shakes I use. You can mix veggies like spinach or fruits in with them. You can also make hot shakes, ice cream, mousses, and puddings.

I agree with this. I too have noticed a difference (hair has actually stalled growing) since I stopped my healthy lifestyle and routine which included exercising, eating protein shakes and protein, and drinking lots of water. I think hydration is key... water is so important to our bodies, healthy weight, and our hair health. I had lost 50 pounds, but since going totally off routine in October I now have regained 10 pounds.. .not good! I'm back on track for New Years. I really do feel a good combination of physical activity, healthy diet including lots of protein, and exercise will help hair growth. I also use a multi-vitamin and evening primrose, and MSM for hair supplements... have stopped taking those regularly and am also restarting those.

50 pounds is awesome ! I need to get on some type of weight loss program. I wanna lose 80 pounds to begin with and then go from there. But I am a single mom so going to any gym is out of the question. AS of right now I do not have any exercise equipment either. Too cold to go outside. If you have any advice feel free to pm me.

YoginiCelestial
January 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Too much protein can harm your health. In addition to kidney stress, too much protein leeches calcium out of your bones causing them to be weak and brittle....

Better to check for amount of protein recommended for each persons individuals needs. One must find their own balance.
You can find protein calculators on the internet. One that I found is located at the link below, in case anyone is interested.
http://www.howmuchprotein.com/daily-protein-intake.php
I don't eat red meat, and prefer poultry, along with fruit, veggies, and beans. I drink mostly water and sometimes green tea, hot or cold.
For my size 130 lbs., my activity level, and my normal eating habits 3 meals a day, having a couple of protein bars or shakes aday added to my normal healthy diet, would not be harmful at all. Especially since I live an active lifestyle and workout several times a week and sometimes every day.
I have been doing yoga for 1 year now and it's helped my health in so many ways. Body, mind and spirit.
:meditate:

Fractalsofhair
January 4th, 2010, 06:16 PM
When I eat more tofu and eggs, I do seem to shed even less, personally.

cardamom
March 1st, 2010, 02:39 AM
beans sprouts and papaya do well:)

Crazycatlady
March 1st, 2010, 09:45 PM
I heard recently that your body can't really store protein from one day to the next so you need to eat enough every day. I try to eat around 50 grams a day. I eat a Zone bar for breakfast each day (love the strawberry & dark choc.) and I eat meat, eggs, almonds, yogurt, and string cheese...along with veggies and fruit. I also eat Kashi frozen dinners at times.

I will say that since I've been eating this way, taking hair vitamins and exercising, my hair has grown faster and is thicker than it ever has been. People are noticing it and commenting on the shine too. I've always had fine, thin hair but hopefully it will stay thick and strong with the protein. Since I've been eating this way, my body actually seems to crave the protein.

Igor
March 2nd, 2010, 01:41 AM
Points to what treesandcoffee and Crazycatlady said :thumbsup:

I take two different protein pills which is something like 3,4 gram of protein. It adds up to 5-6% of my daily requirement. It’s a nice boost, but it’s not what makes or breaks my hair

elina333
March 2nd, 2010, 03:12 AM
I think you should get around 1.5grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. And thats not what most people get I think... I work out almost everyday and my biggest problem is to get enough protein in my diet, cuz if you live an active lifestyle you'll need more than the 1.5g...

I'd def go with the protein powder if I were you! Your hair gets whatevers left after the rest of the body, so chances are its not getting enough. Good luck and happy growing :pegasus: