PDA

View Full Version : Random tip for cleaning hair knots off hair elastics

PseudoScot
January 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
This I discovered totally by random, I'm not even sure why I stumbled onto this.

Tons of us use hair elastics/hair ties/bands etc. My preferred ones are the skinny metal free ones by Goody.

I do find, though, sometimes you get a hair wrapped around it, or two, and it makes that annoying little ball of hair around it that is hard to tear off. I don't like to use them when they get that as the hair knot can end up in a weird place and be seen.

Well, I figured out the easiest way to get them off. Take a razor and very lightly gently 'shave' the elastic. It helps if you hold it taut.

I hold it taut in my left hand, usually on my thumb and forefinger, and then take the razor and very lightly scrape or shave the knot. Do it real light so you don't damage the covering on the elastic.

It'll go thru the hairs and then you can pick them off.

Much easier than trying to pry the knot off with one's fingers, I find.

They are a dime a dozen of course and oftentimes I just throw them out but this gets them clean.

So random I know but hey, maybe it'll help someone. I have no idea if this has been posted before because I don't know how often people get it in their mind to take a razor to their elastics. :D

:cheese:

shockinglength
January 2nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
Cool! That's going to help me alot. Thanks so much =D

Konstifik
January 3rd, 2010, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the tip! My SO usually get those annoying knots, and so far the elastics have ended up in the trash because of them. I'll forward the tip to him :D

Nini
January 3rd, 2010, 07:35 AM
It also helps to remove the hairs every time you're taking it out. Then you won't be left with the big knot in the end:)

handsclean
January 3rd, 2010, 07:55 AM
That's such a good idea, this happens to me all the time!

PseudoScot
January 3rd, 2010, 08:20 AM
It also helps to remove the hairs every time you're taking it out. Then you won't be left with the big knot in the end:)

I know what you mean, and I do, but for me all it takes is one hair wrapped super tight around it and something like that I can't pick them off with fingers alone. I don't let them get big and gross, before I'd toss them in the trash if that happened. :D

Glad this is helpful. :)

herbgurl82
January 3rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
I will have to try this. It will really help cut down on waste, cause I usually wind up having to throw those elastics out.