PDA

View Full Version : Hair question

dollypony
January 2nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
Hi!
Im growing my hair, but right now I am really lost as my hair is so coarse, dry, just hangs, and generally doesn't look good. But I don't know what to do for it. If you need any information to help me, just ask

Thanks
Allyson

spidermom
January 2nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
I do need more information before I can make suggestions. How do you care for your hair? How often do you wash, and what is your routine when you wash it? Do you rub it with a towel to dry it (big no-no; don't do that)? Do you use styling products? Do you use oil? Do you blow-dry? Do you use a flat or curling iron?

Anje
January 2nd, 2010, 01:10 PM
Well, let's start with the basics...

How do you wash it? Specifically walk us through the steps (there are a lot of interesting variations that might surprise you). What products do you use? How do you style it and wear it day-to-day?

Your listed hairtype looks similar to mine, so my recommendation here (without much information to start with) is from what works for me. I'm going to suggest that you first clarify your hair by shampooing with a clarifying shampoo (which can really be anything with sodium lauryl sulfate [SLS] high on the ingredients and no silicones [ending in -icone or -oxane, including dimethicone, amodimethicone, etc.]). Work the shampoo through root to tip, maybe even twice, and rinse well.
Follow this clarifying with an SMT. For this, you'll need a protein-free (and perhaps silicone-free) conditioner. I like the Suave Naturals line. You also need clear 100% aloe vera gel and honey. The recipe is in the Recipes section, but here it is, briefly:
4 parts conditioner, 1 part honey, 1 part aloe gel. Mix, warm gently in the microwave, slather in your hair. Cover with a shower cap and a warm towel and try to put up with the sticky drips for at least an hour. Rinse out well.

Hope that helps.

dollypony
January 2nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
According to my doctor, I have to wash it daily (every other day with the medicated shampoo and normal stuff and the other days the normal stuff). I use Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner with the shampoo just for my scalp. I clarified it a couple weeks ago. I dont put anything on my head except the soap. I keep it in a towel dry after I shower. I just let it be normal and dont do anything to it in regards to how I wear it. Only conditioner I have right now is either a one with protein or those little bottles of conditioner you get from hotels. In the SMT, the parts bit always confused to how much to make.

Thanks!

Gumball
January 2nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
<snip> In the SMT, the parts bit always confused to how much to make.

Thanks!

With SMT regarding the parts just imagine a value for a part. If you think 1 part is 1 tablespoon then you can imagine 4 parts as 4 tablespoons, etc., and just adjust that for how much you really want to make.

The biggest thing is starting to experiment with products to search for what will end up best for you. Some find it fast, while others it's an ongoing thing. Wishing you luck!

redneckprincess
January 2nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
I'm not to spacific about the measurements on the SMT, (and I dont heat the honey) just use mostly conditioner( i use cone-free...oh i use the cheaper Sally's version of NIOXIN, called Nutra-ox) and leave it on for ..> all day if you can/want) make sure you rince well, and I lather with a coney conditioner and rince again

Pierre
January 2nd, 2010, 04:39 PM
If you have a medical problem on your scalp, it's probably just a surface expression of a problem throughout your body. My guess is that you can improve it by dropping all refined foods and eating coconuts (of course eat other things than coconuts, I'm just guessing from your S&C). For more accurate advice, you probably want to see a naturopath. I used to get itchy scalp, but don't anymore, thanks largely to henna but probably also to my diet. I wash with plain water, not every day, and my hair is soft, shiny, and voluminous.