PDA

View Full Version : How to get different curls

coscass
January 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM
I've tried the pillowcase method and got a head full of tight, kinky curls. It literally looked like a fro on me. I had to go to school the next day. I pineapple'd my hair, and people were very, very confused. haha! Anyway, I want to try the same method with damp hair and a ripped up paper bag. But tonight, I'm going to try rolling my hair in cans. Or the TP rolls. If I can't, I'll just pincurl. Either way I'll put up some pictures when I'm done.

Well, I got it rolled half with rollers, half with TP rolls (haha, there's still TP in there. Crap.), and the back done in pincurls. I ran out of everything this time. I don't know what happened to all my material. Anyway, here's the during:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/The_Squirrel_Has_Spoken/FRONT.jpg

Finished:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/The_Squirrel_Has_Spoken/hair21.jpg

I think it turned out really good, I like it. The back didn't turn out at all, though, the pincurls didn't hold very well and I didn't have anymore rollers. So yeah, I'd definitely do the toilet paper rollers again, but I'm going to save them now and do a full head next time.

Are there any other household objects you use to roll your hair in? I'm just looking for something to do when I'm away from home and forgot to bring my rollers, or whatever. I'm looking for bigger, looser curls, but whatever you guys can come up with is great.

So far, all I can think of are:
Cans
Pillow case/old cotton shirt in strips
straws
pin curls
braids
knotted hair

EDIT: Oh, does anyone know if doing fingerwaves is harmful to your hair, since you use a lot of gel? Does it depend on the gel, or is all gel going to damage it a bit? I've wanted finger waves for ages.

Libilou
January 1st, 2010, 04:38 PM
I have to be very, very careful with what I roll my hair up in. I cannot roll it up wet or even damp. I cannot use heat.

This is not because it damages my hair, it is because my hair takes to curls like you cannot believe. The last time I put my hair up wet, I took it down and looked like I had an afro (3 foot high). Seriously. I did this for a gag, but my hair was huge!

If my hair is clean, I put it, dry, up in spongy type curlers (I don't know their exact name, but they are sponges wrapped in felt with a wire in them). I leave them in for about 30 minutes. I take them out and have a head full of curls.

coscass
January 1st, 2010, 04:42 PM
I have to be very, very careful with what I roll my hair up in. I cannot roll it up wet or even damp. I cannot use heat.

This is not because it damages my hair, it is because my hair takes to curls like you cannot believe. The last time I put my hair up wet, I took it down and looked like I had an afro (3 foot high). Seriously. I did this for a gag, but my hair was huge!

If my hair is clean, I put it, dry, up in spongy type curlers (I don't know their exact name, but they are sponges wrapped in felt with a wire in them). I leave them in for about 30 minutes. I take them out and have a head full of curls.I had a super tight coil of fro hair, too, so I'm already thinking this is a bad idea. But maybe if I don't sleep on them, and roll them looser and just secure with a bobby pin. We'll see.

coscass
January 1st, 2010, 09:47 PM
bump! bump! bump!

Luckysock
January 1st, 2010, 10:30 PM
That looks great!

I like this article on snake waves by elainehali - I tried it out and it worked great. For this one you need some strips of fabric.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

SunshineHair
January 1st, 2010, 10:34 PM
You are so funny:D when I saw the smily face and what you were using for your hair rollers I cracked up!!!

Your hair turned out awesome!

BonnyJ
January 1st, 2010, 10:37 PM
I had a super tight coil of fro hair, too, so I'm already thinking this is a bad idea. But maybe if I don't sleep on them, and roll them looser and just secure with a bobby pin. We'll see.

You sleep on them! I used to put my hair up in 1 orange juice can at the top of my head about 80% dry so I could sleep without pain. It made nice large curls.

Take care

zombi
January 2nd, 2010, 01:05 AM
EDIT: Oh, does anyone know if doing fingerwaves is harmful to your hair, since you use a lot of gel? Does it depend on the gel, or is all gel going to damage it a bit? I've wanted finger waves for ages.
I think it's not, unless you brushed heavily at your fingerwaves because the brushing might break some hairs. But if you just set them and didn't brush out, I'd think it not harmful. The only part I'd think would be harmful would perhaps be the combing in/ribboning with setting lotion or gel before setting. If you were gentle it should be okay. I never have seen bad changes in condition of my hair from wet-setting in a fingerwaving manner.

p.s. fingerwaving works better with shorter hairs but it's possible to acheive also a very fingerwaved look from using pincurls and brushing out at the crown. I have done with my hair this way and put the back into pin curls & a bun when finished. It looked fingerwavey at the crown and then pinned up in back.

isenephthys
January 2nd, 2010, 01:14 AM
your curls are gorgeous! I am totally going to save old tp rolls now. :) do you use bobby pins to hold them in?

I also want to try the "snake waves;" my hair is pretty thin/fine though- do you think it would hold up on me?

Bekah
January 2nd, 2010, 01:31 AM
your curls are gorgeous! I am totally going to save old tp rolls now. :) do you use bobby pins to hold them in?

I also want to try the "snake waves;" my hair is pretty thin/fine though- do you think it would hold up on me?

My hair is fairly thin/fine and I did the snake waves for New Years. Put 4 sections up with my hair 90% dry in the morning, left it in for 4 hours. The curl lasted from 2pm to about 9pm at which point it fizzled out and I had perfectly straight hair by midnight. That's typical of my hair though- even perming it in college didn't work- the perm fell out in less than a week. If your hair is easily curled I can imagine it would stay solid for a long time.

It was beautiful while it lasted though. I have stick straight hair and the evening of curls was a lot of fun and got a lot of compliments.