PDA

View Full Version : Type 2a? Pics of hair and some misc questions.

tonyalaya
January 1st, 2010, 03:58 PM
Trying to figure out hair typing. I guessed at 2a, what do you think? My hair is still slightly damp here, but pretty much will look the same once completely dry. I didn't comb or detangle or anything, just let it air dry (that's why it's a bit fuzzy frizzy, my hair doesn't behave well without coaxing ;). I read the article and followed the directions and looked at the pictures. Sorry my pics aren't very good, I'll get dd to get some better ones this week. But they show the texture/length and such.

Also, can going no 'poo, and/or CO change the type of my hair? If I scrunch it and dry it with gel and a diffuser it's pretty wavy, but if I blow dry it straight it has very little wave. I'd love to have more wavy hair, but won't do perms and don't really have time or interest in messing with gel/mouse/wax everyday. This is the length of my hair now, would you call it APL? My goal is waist, or maybe classic . . . waist for now. :)
One more question: Can I use hairsticks with this length? I've used clippies daily for many years now (so much so that friends that I've known for over a year just saw my hair down the other day and were amazed that it was as long as it is. Just b/c they had never seen it not up in a clippy.) I'd love to hear/see styles I could use sticks for, they'd be less damaging to my hair right? (Esp. when I wear it in a clippy in the exact same spot/style every day.)

Thanks for the advice!
~Tonyalaya (that's my name, yup the whole thing, my first name. I saw another thread about how you chose your avatar/screen name, so there ya go.)
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs234.snc3/22155_106594602686977_100000093137174_174491_73614 74_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs234.snc3/22155_106594599353644_100000093137174_174490_29085 11_n.jpg

handsclean
January 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM
It looks to be 2a to me :) Going no-cone usually makes hair more wavy/curly, I believe (at least, it did for me). I'm not sure about CO, but I have a feeling most people make the switch at the same time.
I think it is definitely APL, it looks even maybe an inch longer in your second picture.
You can definitely use sticks.. I wish I could help but I'm no good with them. I believe you can start your Lazy Wrap Bun at around APL length, however it never works for me and I am just about BSL when straight.

bumblebums
January 1st, 2010, 04:52 PM
Can going no 'poo change your hair texture? Definitely. Shampoo and conditioner have all sorts of effects on hair (some good, some bad) that you will notice once you give them up. For example, dimethicone acts as an anti-static agent, so your hair might get more staticky if you don't use that conditioner with dimethicone. For me it was a temporary effect.

My hair has gotten slightly straighter and considerably less frizzy. Some people find that they develop more curl. It depends on what your real hair type is and what kind shampoo/conditioner you were using before you made the switch.

As for hair sticks, you can use them on your length. You can use them on chin-length hair even, in a half-up. You probably won't need anything longer than 6 inches.

melikai
January 1st, 2010, 09:20 PM
Looks 1c to me. And yes, in my experience, what you use in your hair can drastically alter its type. If I heavily moisturise my hair while wet, it will dry much wavier. If I comb my hair it goes very straight, and so on.

Tornerose
January 3rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
My vote is 2a/2b.
And like a few has said before me, the ingredients in your hair-care routine can change the texture.

zombi
January 3rd, 2010, 01:30 AM
looks like 1c to me, also....

Captain Nikki
January 3rd, 2010, 01:50 AM
Looks APL at least to me. Going cone free & CO washing has certainly increased my curls.

Pixna
January 3rd, 2010, 05:18 AM
First, your hair is GORGEOUS!!!

Second, your hair is definitely at APL.

Third, it looks to be 2a. I have found that various products cause my hair to behave differently and the texture (and even the thickness) to change.

Fourth, you can use hairsticks at whatever length they'll stay in. They should work fine at your current length. I can't help you with particular styles, though.

I LOVE your hair -- it's thick, lush, healthy-looking, and has great color, too!!

jojo
January 3rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Id say your a 1c/2a girlie! My hair went more wavy with no-cones but I needs the slip and coneless gives me none, so i am back on the coney route!