PDA

View Full Version : How to apply oil to damp hair?

pepperminttea
January 1st, 2010, 03:40 PM
I've read heidi w.'s great advice about oiling (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71) over in the Articles section, and it really helped me (thank you!), though I'm wondering how exactly people who apply it to damp hair do so? If you use a spritz, what concentration?

I did try to apply it as I would to dry hair, but I lost most of my waviness in the process, and darn it, I like my waves. :D My hair tends to frizz out and tangle as it dries, it'd be nice if I could avoid this and keep my texture, especially since I'd lay bets most of my damage comes from detangling, however gently I do it. Any help appreciated! :)

Forever_Sophie
January 1st, 2010, 03:46 PM
Link, please? I just checked and saw 2 articles, one about measuring hair and another about a braid/bun...? Thanks!

Oh, and when I oiled damp hair, I just put a tiny bit (coconut oil) on with my hands.

handsclean
January 1st, 2010, 04:08 PM
Here is the link to heidi's article:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71

I usually just work it through like product, if I'm just going to bun it. If not, I scrunch it in to make the most of my waves.

spidermom
January 1st, 2010, 04:09 PM
I do it one of two ways:
1) Distribute 1-2 drops of oil among 3 fingertips of each hand and then pinch-apply to ends or canopy.
2) Distribute about 1/2 tsp of oil between palms, then sandwich length between palms and run palms down hair, hands pressed together lightly near the top of my length, pressed more tightly together near the ends. Obviously I (and probably you) need more oil on the ends than the length. I also need more oil on the canopy than on deeper layers.

Then I style or air-dry as usual.

curlylocks85
January 1st, 2010, 04:18 PM
All I do is apply a nickel to quarter size amount and apply to my ends. I repeat until satisfied. I then do the same to the nape and underneath layers. Finally, I do the top (I have very dry hair).

I do use a squirt bottle but there is not specific concentration, just whatever I think it needs.

Forever_Sophie
January 1st, 2010, 04:48 PM
Here is the link to heidi's article:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71

I usually just work it through like product, if I'm just going to bun it. If not, I scrunch it in to make the most of my waves.

Thanks!! :)

Flaxen
January 1st, 2010, 04:53 PM
I use about 2 large-ish drops and spread it over my palms and fingers until they're shiny. Then I rake my fingers through my damp hair. Actually, I would say it's wetter than damp. It's towel dried and wide tooth combed, and some drops of water come off in the combing process. Anyway, after raking my hands through my hair, I press my palms against the very ends of my hair to get oil there. Then I scrunch all of my length.

sweet*things
January 1st, 2010, 05:01 PM
Right now I'm using Jojoba oil (because it stays liquid in cold weather, unlike coconut-based monoi oils, which are my favorite). I put 2 or 3 drops in my hands immediately after a shower, with dripping wet hair, rub my hands together and then lightly run them over my hair from the ears down, concentrating on the ends. I don't work it in with my hands, but when I comb my hair a couple minutes later it gets more distributed.

pepperminttea
January 5th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks for your help everyone, I'll be washing my hair in about half an hour so I'll be sure to try once I'm past the ever-so-attactive towel turban stage. ;)

Kunoichi
January 6th, 2010, 12:49 AM
I've been using grape seed oil on damp / wet hair the past few days, and I have noticed that it leaves my hair looking wet even after it dries. Maybe damp oiling is not for me. :o..or I just need to do more reading. ;)

(The amount I use? I dip the tip of one finger in the oil = 2 - 3 drops, rub it in my hands and apply that way.)

Honey39
January 6th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I use coconut oil on damp hair, and try to remember that less is more! I use a fingernail scraping, rubbed between each palm, and then slide my hands down a section of hair (usually three sections of hair in total) from the ears down, and then a little bit again to do the canopy and top. I usually comb my hair thoroughly then to make sure it's even spread, and then style as usual. I get great results this way, although always use it AFTER leave-in conditioner - seems to seal it all in.

Stacy_E
January 6th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I love to hear everyone's way of oiling damp hair as it gives me ideas. How I have been doing it is to put a couple drops of oil in my palm, then a nickel-sized squirt of aloe vera gel (I think this helps to distribute the oil), rub my palms together to mix and spread in my hands, then flip my hair upside-down and lightly pat my hands against my canopy hair and ends. Then I scrunch in earnest. I'm afraid of doing a too-vigorous flattening of hair between my palms, or combing, because I think I would lose my waves that way. But maybe it'd be okay to try this if I scrunch afterwards...

Merewen
January 6th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I usually rake it through and scrunch it onto the ends.