PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Strawberry rollers

Dementia1013
January 1st, 2010, 02:00 PM
So I stumbled on these and they look like pure WIN in my book. Has anyone tried them? I bought them on pure impulse without even considering... ANYTHING really. lol. There is a gal that did a review on them and she says that they are entirely made of foam. I wear foam curlers to bed every night but they have the little bendy bit that you have to tighten and my hair is so thick that this proves to be quite difficult at times.

Sooo anyways. Any LHCers try this? If so how was it?

Here are the vids. The rollers are yellow in the vids, but the ones I got look like strawberries.

This first one is the japanese vid showing how to use them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snJr6BQmJJY

This is the gal's review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-axuWQI3uHA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-axuWQI3uHA)

inertia
January 1st, 2010, 02:35 PM
I have them but don't use them much. They're really good for the layered BSL haircut that many Japanese women have -- if you've got that haircut, it's easy, fast, and comfortable to use these rollers to get the "short straight layers on top with curls on bottom" look that's super popular here.

However, you can't fit much hair into each roller, and the longer the hair the smaller you need to make the sections and the harder it is to get them to dry properly. I need to use a ton of these rollers to curl all my hair. It's so uncomfortable to sleep with all those foam balls on my head! And then I wake up to find that some sections haven't dried well, and even after using a blow-dryer to dry them at the last minute, I might have to use a curling iron to fix it up. I think the foam edges on the balls keep the hair from drying as quickly as they would with rag curlers. Also, I worry about breakage because it's easy for hairs to get tangled around the rollers, especially during sleep.

Actually, I haven't used the balls in a long time because it's so difficult to get longer hair into them. Lately I've been trying these rollers:
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/kireimania/017-580/
but still have problems getting it to dry well so that the curls stay. There doesn't seem to be much on the market for long hair here.

Copasetic
January 1st, 2010, 02:51 PM
I've never seen anything like these before, but now I want them because they are so adorable!

Akiko
January 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM
The first vid is Chinese. Anyhow... They look cute. I read reviews at @cosme, a Japanese version of makeup alley. Not the best reviews. Quite a few complained it's hard to wrap hair and secure in the balls. When you unwrap, sometimes hair gets caught. If you sleep overnight, curls are so tight that they look too unnatural...

I wish they work well. I am always looking for some easy and non-damaging way to curl hair for fun...

teela1978
January 1st, 2010, 04:28 PM
I like how the yellow ones give that 'lisa simpson' look :) They're definitely interesting.

Dementia1013
January 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM
They look quite small and of course I don't think that I'll be able to get all my hair up into them. How I normally do it is Torrinpaige's method of making a semi loose sleep braids then simply curling the ends.
@Inertia
I don't damp dry my curl my hair unless I'm using those piggy curl rollers that are all mesh and are well ventilated. I find that my hair actually curls much better if dry with just a touch of oil and paper on the ends. Just a suggestion.
@Akiko
Thank you. I didn't know it was chinese it came up under a search that said 'Japanese hair ball rollers' or something to that effect. lol.
@Copasetic
When I read your name I TOTALLY got LOCAL H's 'Keep it copasetic' stuck in my head. lol And I definitely got sucked in by the cuteness of the strawberries. :D

Kristin
June 9th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I purchased some of these on ebay and tried them out yesterday. I used them in dry hair with Aussie Mousse + Leave-in Conditioner. I left them in for probably an hour. There are pictures in my album.

I don't really like them. My hair is not yet waist length, but was too much for these rollers. I had to wrap scrunchies around some of them to get them to hold and had to re-wrap most of them. I bought 12 rollers, but I think I would need at least twice that many for all of my hair to be rolled comfortably. The ends were very curled, but even the mid-length was barely wavy.

I think these would be good for someone with shorter and/or thin hair. They are awfully cute!;)

windinherhair
June 9th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Those look interesting! Just like you, I also have the foam curlers with the plastic clip that bends to close. They have always worked well on my hair though, even after it has gotten longer. I just need more rollers and use less hair in them for one. It has been a long time since I've used them though.