PDA

View Full Version : Gained another braid bump, yay!

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I guess all your comments on the videos with the longer hair were right! I can do a basic braid now with 8 bumps (I count the left hand side).

Here is a picture:
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2664/braid2742008zy6.th.jpg (http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=braid2742008zy6.jpg)

And apparently I do my braiding a bit different than a lot of folks *shrug*, so here is a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwVGeadNxaA) on how I do it. Curious what you all will say on that technique.

Dianyla
April 27th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Congrats on the bump! :D

(Heh, that almost sounds like I'm congratulating you on something else!)

Your braiding style seems fairly normal. You do a parallel part instead of a Y-shaped part, which is quite common.

The only thing I noticed is that the way you thread the strands through your hands flips the ends of the hair completely up and around. At your current hair length, that's not a problem. For longer hair (probably somewhere around waistlength and longer) you would want to cross the strands over and keep the ends hanging down most of the time. Otherwise you'll give yourself a lot of tangles in the process.

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Thanks! :lol:

Oh on the tangles, if you look closely, I apply two techniques to braid. I don't switch to the flipping thing until the ends get short :)

The first part where I lifted the ends is only for clarity :)

Dianyla
April 27th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I do see that, when I watch it again.

The other thing that occurred to me? I have absolutely no idea what I look like when I'm braiding. I'm trying to picture what it will look like and what you do that's different from what I do. If you do anything different at all, that is. :shrug:

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Maybe it is because I do two techniques in one that is different?

Also for the life of me I cannot braid in view when I hold the braid forward over the shoulder :lol:

DecafJane
April 27th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Hooray! Congratulations. :)

Leisha
April 27th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Congratulations! Your braid (and your hair in the video) looks really long :thumbsup: your hair does grow well I agree with the rest.

I braid my hair the same way I think.

Only sometimes I do a "Dianyla-style" braid :) (starting from a Y-shaped part in the hair), that seems to hold a little more neatly, at the nape area specifically. But when I just quickly braid my hair and it doesn't have to look too tidy, I just part (and braid) my hair like on the vid. :agree:

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks!!

Do you do that including the two ways of braiding that I apply throughout?

Rosamaria
April 27th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Could someone explain what a 'y-shaped part' is?

In the days when my hair was BSL, before I stupidly cut it, I plaited just like Eadwine, but I found that the hairs on my neck always felt uncomfortably tight in the plait and am wondering if a different parting would sort this out.

I'd be grateful for any input.

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 08:22 AM
It should be in the articles, but it isn't there yet.

Maybe someone has it available, with a wee bit better explanation, if possible a movie, because I didn't get that one anyway ;)

Leisha
April 27th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks!!

Do you do that including the two ways of braiding that I apply throughout?
Hmm, what do you mean exactly by the two ways of braiding? :oops: :oops:

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I am so amazed everyone misses this.

Half way through I suddenly change the braiding technique :)

Leisha
April 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Yea no I don't see it :D :o ETA: you mean when you start braiding upwards and change the position of your hands?

The Y-shaped part & Dianyla's braiding technique are on the old LHC, here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652). I hope the link works!

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 08:37 AM
*hint* hihi.. the technique changes on 00:53 where I no longer take sections up by using the index finger.

Edit: that is the link indeed. If someone could explain this better.. since I don't get it. Maybe moving images would help.

Leisha
April 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hehe, I edited my post while you were answering I think. :D
I don't know if I do it exactly the same way as you (should film myself while braiding), but it's pretty similar anyway :)

Sometimes I braid over my shoulder (instead of bringing the braid up), so then it's not the same of course.

paper
April 27th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Yay, Congrats! :cool:

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks!!

Yeah.. over my shoulder.. I can see that one coming. For now I am glad my arms are long enough :lol:

Rosamaria
April 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the Y-shaped part link Leisha - it works fine!

Now i just can't wait for my hair to grow long enough for me to try it out!

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 09:37 AM
If someone could please explain things better, because I see the part, I just don't see how the braiding starts.

ale
April 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM
That's curious, I do a "reversed Y" parting when braiding; I sometimes do a parallel parting, but I never thought about the "right Y" parting..I shlould try.

Leisha
April 27th, 2008, 12:23 PM
If someone could please explain things better, because I see the part, I just don't see how the braiding starts.
Well I think the parting is the main thing, so if you understand that, you're good to go :) I just, well, start braiding after that. Right strand over middle or left strand over middle, whichever you prefer :)

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Oh, is that all.

Then why does that "look" better? I don't see it, that is all hihi, I think my way looks just as nice.

squiggyflop
April 27th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Yay for your progress!!! Your braid looks longer than mine but your hair is shorter than mine.. hmm the mysteries of the world... anyway awsome braid! :)

Leisha
April 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Oh, is that all.

Then why does that "look" better? I don't see it, that is all hihi, I think my way looks just as nice.
Well the biggest difference is it seems to stay neater for longer if I use the Y shaped part. It might depend on hair type and stuff how big the difference is, I guess.
The base of the braid sits a bit higher when I use the Y shaped part, whereas otherwise it's lower, looser as well... maybe it sags easier because of the weight of my hair or something? With Dianyla's technique the weight is distributed nicely. I can't get the braid to start as "tight" with a "normal" (vertical) parting, and if I do pull it tighter it might pull on my scalp or look unbalanced.

I should take pictures of both variations and put them next to each other. I don't think I have pics of English braids yet... but there is a difference :D I suspect the difference would be especially noticeable if I took pictures of the braids a couple of hours after making them.

But if you prefer your way, and it stays well and stuff, that's fine of course! :lol:

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Ohhh.. yeah I don't have a problem with sagging braids.. I have a problem with nape hair hihi. Thanks for explaining Leisha! It makes sense to me now. :)

Thanks Sguiggyflop! Maybe you have thicker hair than I do?

MissHair
April 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Ive always looked for a name when you can 'count' the braid. I love braid bump! Your hair is supergorgeous. I made a braid yesterday and Ive only got 4 braid bumps. Cant wait til I reach as many as yours. Congrats.

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Thank you!

And you will soon enough! And then you can share the joy as well :D

zift
April 27th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I braid my hair exactly the same as you do eadwine(well I have to bring it in front soon after the start though) however I'm just in awe of how evenly and fast you divided your hair on that video. I want to divide like that too:shrug:

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks!

Practice makes perfect :) It took me a while to know exactly where to put my fingers :)

jesamyn
April 27th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Congrats on gaining another braid bump! I love that term. I *think* I braid my hair as you do, including switching toward the bottom. I don't actually pay attention. I just know that I start using my hands differently at some point.

eadwine
April 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks Jesamyn :)

Rosamaria
April 28th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Leisha, thanks very much for the link to the Y-part. Even though my hair is a bit short and still layered, I tried it and IT LOOKS GREAT!

As you said in a previous post, the plait/braid sits higher up on the head. It also looks much neater in shape. Best of all my hair in the front drapes in curves over the tops of my ears in a lovely way!

The plait was so short that I flipped it underneath and anchored it with a pin and it looks really sophisticated!

So thanks - I've learned something really useful:)

Leisha
April 28th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Oh cool! I'm glad you liked it :) I agree it's a useful thing to know when you want to make your braid a little bit different/tighter/staying put better.
All credit goes to Dianyla of course for sharing her braiding technique! (and those pictures of her awesome braid :inlove: )

n3m3sis42
April 29th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Yea no I don't see it :D :o ETA: you mean when you start braiding upwards and change the position of your hands?

The Y-shaped part & Dianyla's braiding technique are on the old LHC, here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652). I hope the link works!

Oh, wow... I finally see how people get braids that start at the nape to stay without becoming all funky-looking at the top part.

Thank you so much for sharing this method!!! :cheer:

n3m3sis42
April 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM
eadwine, you have such pretty hair! Congratulations on another braid bump! :)

sipnsun
April 29th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Eadwine, you and I joined LHC around the same time, and I can't believe your hair growth. It's also beautiful and shiny! Congratulations!

eadwine
April 30th, 2008, 02:55 AM
eadwine, you have such pretty hair! Congratulations on another braid bump! :)
Thank you so much :)

Eadwine, you and I joined LHC around the same time, and I can't believe your hair growth. It's also beautiful and shiny! Congratulations!
Aww.. thanks :D