PDA

View Full Version : Your hair got caught where?

Armelle
December 31st, 2009, 08:40 PM
I would imagine that most of us have gotten our hair caught in places we didn't want it...doors, car windows, seat belts, zippers, under someone else's butt. In honor of my second weird hair-catching experience, catching my hair on the interior door latches of my microwave (the first was a poison ivy covered embankment after slipping while attempting to pull myself out of a canoe), I thought I would start a thread of "Yikes! How'd my hair get THERE?"

Y'all with the neat buns and braids can just sit back and giggle at us. :D

DanielleRenae
December 31st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Dreamcatcher. Really not surprising if you think about it.

pinkbunny
December 31st, 2009, 09:55 PM
What has my hair NOT caught on? lol

Doorknobs (also cabinet knobs, any kind of knob), strikeplates (where the doorknob bolt catches to shut in the frame), seatbelt, car door, car window (if I roll it up while driving), people who pass by too closely, ziploc baggie closures, jewelry, pens/keychains/combs sticking out of my purse, under elbows on armrests, my belt/pants (as I dress), a low-hanging chandelier/candelabra thingy in my back room, ummmm... probably a lot more, too!

GlassEyes
December 31st, 2009, 10:48 PM
A bobby pin.

It'd be fairly run of the mill, if it wasn't on someone else's head.

SlightlySoprano
December 31st, 2009, 10:52 PM
Sitting on the bus...under somebody else's backpack strap as they were standing up... not a pleasant experience!

Coriander
December 31st, 2009, 10:54 PM
Well, um, the obvious. It was only discovered when I was wearing shorts and felt a hair tickling my knee. I pulled, and am glad I was at home when this happened because the resulting squeal would have scared a lot of people.

Natalia
January 1st, 2010, 12:37 AM
Well mine has been temporarily down my dog or cats throat on occasion. I will have to think of others ;).... ok well others that arent terribly and innapropriatley descriptive.

walterSCAN
January 1st, 2010, 12:56 AM
EVERYWHERE!

including down his throat once... he accused me of trying to kill him! :laugh:

Doors of all kinds, anything that has a seam, my armpits, his armpits, binders/books that I'm handing to someone... and most often: my industrial in my left ear. Gah! I'm always unwinding hair from there...

BranwenWolf
January 1st, 2010, 01:41 AM
-car door
-horse tack- bridles, saddles, etc
-stood on it while I was bent over and found I couldn't stand up...
-remote control cars
-cats
-dogs
-parrots
-craft items
-down "there"... and man that hurt
-down "there" too
-food
-glasses, on a nearly daily basis
-earrings, also daily
-spiral notebooks
-bushes
-the johnnyhouse door
-wrapped around someone else's jacket/caught in the zipper

ericthegreat
January 1st, 2010, 02:12 AM
Over the last say 4 years, my hair has been caught under and physically yanked out by pretty much anything and everything imaginable. And now that I'm past TB length and heading towards classic, literally anything that I can sit under can potentially catch and pull out my strands. Sure, I could wear my hair up in a protective bun for my whole life.......but I like to wear it down many times too so this is the risk I willingly take.

I'm sure there's even more things that I've forgotten that I could put on this list, but here goes:

the car door
the car window
the seatbelt
the front door to my house
the door to my bedroom
An umbrella( the hair at my crown often gets attracted to the crevice between the metal rods)
underneath my chair(often where the bolts and screws are)
the straps on my handbag(its a male handbag! :D)
the zipper for my coat or for my jacket
any chains that I wear
sometimes on the benches in the park or on the beach
the seats on the subway train
the seats on the bus
inside my hairclips(say if I put my hair up really fast and sloppy, my clips will often get tangled up into my hair)
bobby pins(but especially the ones that are like thin, sharp needles that don't have the little balls at the end to cushion them)
my blow dryer(Yes, I have gotten several strands that I accidently got sucked into the other end of the blow dryer).
underneath the belt I use to buckle my pants
underneath my underwear
underneath my swimsuit

And I'm sure there are so many others that I have forgotten over these past few years.

Rhiannon7
January 1st, 2010, 02:16 AM
When my hair was longer a few years ago and i wore it loose it got caught in everything from door knobs to bathroom seats and even a electric fan once. my dog has chewed on it, got stuck in my eye alot, had my niece zip her jacket up and ended up crying like a banshee when she ran out the door and tore alot of hair before i could stop her, in car doors, windows, people's butt's, backpacks, under the rear wheel of my car while changing the tire, in the trunk and once when i was washing my hair in the sink it got caught in the drain pipe, had to wash it again 3 times after that just to take the gunk off the bottom half of the hair.

Learned the hard way to keep it braided or bunned ever since.

enfys
January 1st, 2010, 08:33 AM
It's almost always bunned but that hasn't stopped it getting stuck in both the "down there"s, in my boot laces as I've been lacing them, on my jewellery, clothes, buttons, zips, husband, slammed in the till in work, stuck with my peel off face mask, wrapped around gum while it's in my mouth and today, for the first time ever...
It got caught on my tape measure!

Fiferstone
January 1st, 2010, 08:36 AM
Yesterday I got it caught in a belt hanging up in my closet, when I went to get my clothes for the day, and it was braided at the time. Fun.

JenniferNoel
January 1st, 2010, 11:11 AM
As a stand-in keyboardist, my hair got caught in the bassist's strings on stage at one of my first gigs of all time, back then my hair was much longer, but I had several clip in color extensions (the tiny ones) which ended up getting stuck in the strings. But the audience loved it. :p

Yozhik
January 1st, 2010, 11:28 AM
Nowhere too exciting like the rest of you all -- I don't think my hair's that long yet. The most painful places are zippers or necklaces, though :( I pretty much stopped wearing necklaces with really fine chains as a result.

To complement Coriander's story, though, once when I was younger and had longer hair, I was sitting on a stool and my mother was brushing my hair when I felt something tickling my leg. I reached to brush it away, thinking it was my hair, but it turned out to be a cockroach! Eeek!:(

herbgurl82
January 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM
The one time I wore my hair in a ponytail at work (I work at the service desk at a grocery store), I stepped out back to the cash office with my arms full. The door swung shut, and I took a step forward, got jerked back and dropped everything on the floor! My hair caught in the shut door. Ouch! My coworkers still tease me about that.

losgan
January 1st, 2010, 11:36 AM
My hair tends to velcro to my boyfriend's goatee if I get snuggly. :)

It gets caught behind me in a lot of seats now, most notably and annoyingly the one in my car.

I think the worst catch was when I was pretty young, a younger cousin put a Mickey Mouse train too close to my head as it was running and ... yeah, ouch.

ArienEllariel
January 1st, 2010, 12:13 PM
The car door or window on a windy day. Yah, that doesn't feel too good.. but I think that's something that can happen to anyone with hair past shoulder length.

I've also gotten it caught in one of those portable fans (the hand-held kind). Not one of my brightest moments when I was younger. I had to rip my hair out of it. xD

spidermom
January 1st, 2010, 12:19 PM
All kinds of places, but the most annoying has been the day I was hurrying down the hall and several hairs decided to grab the crack between the wall and the light switch cover - OUCH! I've also gotten a few hairs caught in the lid of the coffee grinder and am not allowed to go into the kitchen with my hair loose anymore.

masterofmidgets
January 1st, 2010, 01:40 PM
The usual - I have very grabby hair, and it's always getting tangled around seat belts, purse straps, the strap to my messenger bag. Before I started braiding it at night, I'd wake up every morning with my hair and my necklace cord practically woven together. Least favorite: I wear a head-set at work, and a few strands of hair always get caught under the decal on the earpiece, which I never notice until I go to take it off. Ouch!

Little_Bird
January 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM
The last experience I can remember was some weeks ago. I was in the subway, and had my hair loose (since it had fallen from the bun and I couldn't redo it at the time).

I was just standing there on my way, noticing the people behind me looking at my hair, when I notice a man who was standing side by side with me moving away. He had a wool jacket, and my hair got caught on the texture of the fabric. I just had the time of quietly removing my hair from his back... Little embarrasing but oh so fun :p :lol:

Yeah, long hair is a cool provider for funny stories :eyebrows:

Eniratak
January 1st, 2010, 04:29 PM
Well let's see...

Under my foot in the middle of Walmart (I bent down to tie my shoe).
Car door.
Car window.
Under someone's armpit.
Under someone's butt.
In between a desk and chair at school.
On a teacher's ID necklace.
Under my butt.
Under my book bag strap.
Under my purse strap.
On a chair leg (the chair was turned up on the desk and I was walking by it).

And many more places that I don't recall at the moment.

slz
January 1st, 2010, 04:35 PM
Under a small kid's foot at the supermarket (aouch !)
And I ripped the tassel of my daily braid several times around my back pockets' buttons, now I take them all off whenever I get new pants (the buttons, that is).

eternallyverdan
January 1st, 2010, 04:35 PM
Everywhere!

Car doors
Car windows
Seat belts
Watches
Bracelets
Pants
T-shirts as I'm taking them off (it gets twisted in the neckhole somehow-- this happens to me most days)
Under my shoes when I'm bending to tie them/put them on
Doorknobs
Under the dentist's chair (Not fun!)
The bolts on the backs of chairs
The bolts on the bottoms of chairs
Under elbows on armrests (My elbows and others)
Coat hooks
The bedposts under my bed (I sleep with my hair down over the edge of the bed)
Between the wall and the back of couch
Other people's faces in windy cars
...and pretty much anwhere else you can imagine! You may have guessed that I wear my hair down a lot.

Curlsgirl
January 1st, 2010, 08:50 PM
All the usual places AND the back of a fan and a blowdryer both of which I had MAJOR breakage on the right hand side of my hair next to my face. :confused:

BranwenWolf
January 1st, 2010, 08:53 PM
I've done the blow dryer and bench bolts, I forgot.
I hate those benches that have big bolts on the seat.

TressMeister
January 1st, 2010, 09:08 PM
The worst lately was walking down Main Street when a wind came up and basically velcro-ed me to a BRICK WALL. It was a real eye-catcher.

As a child the worst was when I leaned over to help a school mate with a science project and brushed across his ALCOHOL LAMP. The science lesson I learned was that, because of the protein content, burning hair smells a lot like burning cheese.

I mainly only wear my hair down now when it's drying.

Emerson
January 1st, 2010, 09:09 PM
My husband has his ear pierced, my hair gets caught on it when we hug, snuggle ;) Oh yeah, last month my kids recieved little toy airplanes as gifts, my hubby was goofing around with one of them and got it caught in my hair, it tangled pretty badly, took me 15 minutes to get it out and it broke several hairs...I was so mad. When my hair was longer, I got it caught in a car door....good times.

eternallyverdan
January 1st, 2010, 10:11 PM
Oh, forgot one... I was at a water park in the wave pool, swam to the rope a few feet away from the deep end of the pool, and got my hair tangled around it for about ten minutes while the waves got progressively bigger. Not a fun day.

Natalia
January 2nd, 2010, 04:14 AM
Today i got it caught in the handle of a cooler and i tied it into my shoes :p.

Alexannee10
January 2nd, 2010, 09:49 AM
THE DOOR OF MY CAR! Aww. Always. Or behind the chair and my back.

DARKMARTIAN
January 2nd, 2010, 09:58 AM
I cant STAND it when im eating and I chew in like only one or two strands of hair with my food. Its usually ponytailed but still, on occasion, ill get that stray hair or two caught in there somehow. And then the extraction is always horrible.

Ugh!.....Just an all around bad situation!!!.....:o

and ya'll seriously.....be careful if you ride a go cart.........one ripped part of a long haired girls scalp off once

StrongWall
January 3rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Oh these are kind of horror stories haha.
I would be so embarassed to get it caught in someone else's.

rags
January 3rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Well, my hair is generally fairly well behaved, but besides the usual places (when it used to be quite long) I've inhaled it once. It blocked my breathing for a moment. NO fun!

morningstar
January 3rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Last spring I went to my parents house with my 3 kids and wet hair. I wanted to use my mom's blow drier before her and I took the kids to a near by park. The blow drier exhaust sucked up my hair and I quickly turned it off. I unplugged it. I brought the whole mess upstairs and after everyone laughed, (yes I have a sick and cruel family) they were trying to figure out what I should do. The kids wanted to go to the park pronto and said awwww just cut it mom!

My dad took a picture. My BF Mark took a screw driver and took the thing appart. I went to the park and carefully and patiently uncoiled my hair from the motor or what ever that part was. It took a long time and my mother laughed at me for driving to the park and sitting on the bench with a piece of blow drier still attached to my head.

I saved my hair. I didn't lose too many hairs though it is my thin side. :(

It was the first time I realized that my hair was getting longer and that blow driers can be evil. I still use mine though. It is very very cold out here tonight.

misspriss
January 3rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
All of the usuals I suppose, it seems to be getting worse in the past few months.

I've had my hair this long before, but I never noticed all of these problems I keep getting. Perhaps I just passed the point at which my hair was it's longest before, and just got long enough to get stuck?

I get it stuck on my backpack any time it is not bunned. This was NEVER a problem last time I grew it this long? But I cut it when it was around this long.

Between my back and seats, constantly. On my coat/scarf/anything wool or furry, finding loose hairs in the booty, DBF finds them...well you know the usual.

I have had the unfortunate luck to inhale my hair a few weeks ago, I was quite caught up in "the act" and ended up nearly choking to death on my own hair...that's a mood killer, choking on your hair while it is still attached to your head. Fun.

Jezerellica
January 3rd, 2010, 10:58 PM
All kinds of places, but the most annoying has been the day I was hurrying down the hall and several hairs decided to grab the crack between the wall and the light switch cover - OUCH! I've also gotten a few hairs caught in the lid of the coffee grinder and am not allowed to go into the kitchen with my hair loose anymore.

I'm with spidermom! No more kitchen use with hair down. Unless it is to simply get a water fill. I am small and hair ends up on the counter and stove, YES stove! One can just use their imagination and I have been there in the kitchen!!! Yikes!

Locksmith
January 4th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I routinely find that I've knitted a few strands of hair into whatever I'm knitting. I've got the end of my plait caught in my trouser zip before, too.

IttyBittyKitty
January 4th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I have issues with zippers,it doesnt matter how careful i am i still get a few hairs stuck.
Seat belts,shoulder bags
And if you ever pick up dog poo when you wear your hair down,make sure you know where all your hair is at that time.......:disgust:

myrrhmaiden
January 4th, 2010, 05:58 AM
The worst one for me happened when I was a kid. I was blow-drying my hair and the ends on my left side found their way into the intake fan. Suddenly the dryer was chewing its way towards my scalp at lightning speed. I unplugged the dryer. Wow. Terrified.
It has only happened once. ;)

Yesterday it got caught in the security tag when I was trying on coats. It took DH 5 minutes to free me.

BelleBot
January 4th, 2010, 06:13 AM
The worst I've had my hair caught in was an electric whisk. My hair got wrapped up very quickly and before I knew it it was threatening to start whisking at my scalp. Very scary, fortunately managed to unplug it before it caused any skin damage. Manage to save my hair as well, took several hours to untangle the whisks and also all the bits of chocolate cake mix out of my hair too. Never wear my hair down in the kitchen any more.

It quite often gets caught on clothing, especially other people's which is embarrassing, caught in the car door, wrapped round my earrings, and I also have my nipples pierced so it's gets caught up in the piercings which is painful. I hate getting it caught in zips especially jean flies and dress backs as you've bent over forwards or backwards to do them up, then you can't straighten you head and neck because your hair is stuck in the zip.

Armelle
January 5th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Whoa, horror stories! Beware the kitchen appliances! :D

I could always tell when my bf needed to shave, my hair would velcro to his face.
I've backed into a lit candle at a party. Didn't notice anything until people yelped that my hair was starting to smoke.

I have gotten a newborn baby stuck in my hair though. That was funny...and embarrassing. Try retrieving your hair from those little grasping fingers.

Braidmaid
January 5th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Now that my hair is waist length, I find it gets caught in a lot of things, many that have already been mentioned. I like to play my guitar alot, and sometimes if I'm not careful my hair will get caught in the tuning pegs. I guess as my hair gets longer, I need to be more careful.

rags
January 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I have had the unfortunate luck to inhale my hair a few weeks ago, I was quite caught up in "the act" and ended up nearly choking to death on my own hair...that's a mood killer, choking on your hair while it is still attached to your head. Fun.

This is exactly what happened to me - I just wasn't brave enough to share the details! :rollin:

MandyBeth
January 5th, 2010, 09:58 AM
It wasn't my hair - tho' if I successfully grow mine out, I figure this will happen. My sister who had damp hair, so it was probably about BSL length was sitting with me, and I was working with her on learning to spin fiber. We're going along and she's actually getting some progress on going, so I went on with spinning the shed dog coat I love (Great Pyr shed, oh it's soooo warm and soft - I horde it every shed). She was working with some llama fiber that I'd found really easy to work with, and she agreed.

Big problem. She's that pretty medium blonde. Llama hair in question was near enough to apricot. I do not know exactly what happened as I wasn't paying full attention to her but all the sudden I get this "********" and look at her like she'd gone crazy. She'd spun her hair, still attached to her head, into some of the fiber.

Yes, we got it all undone without major damage, but looking at it now, we both fall over laughing if she tries spinning anything that is remotely similar in shade to her hair. I figure it'll come back to bite me soon enough.

VenusHalley
January 5th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Buttons of some random stranger's coat.

Sliding doors of subway (that was very terrifying experience. The other people had a good laugh about it as I got stuck when rushing in just when the announcement "doors are now closing" was going on, my hair flying behind me...).

misspriss
January 5th, 2010, 08:00 PM
This is exactly what happened to me - I just wasn't brave enough to share the details! :rollin:

HAHA....it was so weird too, for some reason it never occurred to me that you could choke on your own hair, but it happens.

sonng
January 14th, 2010, 10:59 PM
my braces :oops:

ravenreed
January 15th, 2010, 12:06 AM
:spitting:

A bobby pin.

It'd be fairly run of the mill, if it wasn't on someone else's head.

ravenreed
January 15th, 2010, 12:10 AM
My seatbelt rectractor desires nothing more in the world than to suck up my hair. I have lost so much hair to it that I am surprised that I don't have a bald patch. The weirdest thing recently was when I was feeling a tickle on my calf. I reached down to see what it was and it was a hair sticking out of my sock. I pulled on it and felt a tug all around my toes. There was a hair in my sock and I never even noticed!

ilovelonghair
January 15th, 2010, 12:20 AM
The worst for me was getting it caught in a fan that stood behind me. Oh and in fire, but that was very long ago.

gibbysrach
January 15th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I find that as im knitting or crocheting i have hairs that end up getting wrapped up with the yarn. I have to be very self conscious of that, I dont think my friends/family want mittens with my hair woven into them! My mom got her hair wrapped around a beater on an electric mixer once!

Elainehali
January 15th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I have a real problem with my hair getting caught around buttons.:rolleyes:

YesitsReal
January 15th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I was in a "Lazy River" attraction at a water park when I was a teenager, and there was a really cute lifeguard on duty. I was trying to be all suave in front of him while I was dipping my head underwater to get it out of my face, but just as I was coming back up, my hair got completely sucked into the grate over the water intake pipe and stuck there. I was panicking, held under water by my hair, when I realized I could just grab the whole mass at once and pull it out. When I came to the surface spluttering and coughing, the lifeguard was halfway out of his chair, about to come after me. When he realized that I was ok, he tried (unsuccessfully) to hide the grin on his face. I was totally mortified.

Also, DBF was playing with his brand-new RC helicopter (this is what happens when you date an aerospace engineer), when it suddenly stopped working. We couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, until I looked at the rotor. I turned red when I figured out that it was my hair wrapped around the rotor, preventing it from turning. It took us 15 minutes to get the thing unwound, and I still have no idea where it came from.

hanne jensen
January 15th, 2010, 05:50 AM
My hair ist starting to get caught in the shoulder strap of my bra when I get dressed in the morning. I've learned to put my hair up BEFORE I get dressed!

JamieLeigh
January 15th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Hahaha, I'm loving reading this thread. :D I think my weirdest places were...

~under someone else's armpit (someone I didn't know!) at a sporting event on a windy day. Yeeeeouch. :eek:

~on the buttons of the back pockets of my favorite jeans. Thank you LHC for the lovely updos you've taught me, so that I can wear them again. :D

~on the top of our chainlink fence while I was talking to the mailcarrier - the pointy things that stick up - again, on a windy day.

~in my kids' shoes. I have helped one or more of them put shoes on and/or tie said shoes, and with my hair down. When I look away to see what one of the others is doing, OUCH!! I've either tied my hair into the laces or it's stuck between the kid's foot and shoe soles.

I've also had a cockatille chew it while I wasn't paying attention, but that was back in 2002 before I paid much attention to the condition of my hair - and that isn't really getting it caught....that's getting it eaten. :p

Islandgrrl
January 15th, 2010, 10:43 AM
When my hair was still knee-length, I once drove 60+ miles on the freeway with the last several inches of my braid caught in the car door, flapping in the breeze. Yuck-O.

Most recently, I've managed to knit a few strands into the socks I'm currently working on, since the hairs were still attached to my head I had to go backwards and remove them from the knitting.

I've gotten my hair caught in DH's armpits, my armpits, I've stepped on it during Yoga, others have stepped on it during Yoga, I got the end of my braid caught up in the credit card swipe machine thingy at the supermarket (:rolleyes:), in the chain of my bike when I was changing a flat, in the door of the sauna, in the door of the clothes dryer, in the headrest of the car, in my office chair, in the dog's collar (yeah, fun...with a 90lb squirming dog who only wants to play). The dog has tried to play tug of war with my braid, it's fallen into a pot on the stove, into the toilet, into my dinner plate, and I'm not even going to go into the "diaper incidents," thankyouverymuch.

Where HASN'T my hair been???

Alcenaia
January 16th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I was getting some crackers out of a tupperware container...I closed it, put it back in the cupboard, shut the cupboard door, turned around, and attempted to walk away with spectacularly awkward results. :D

Iphinoe
January 16th, 2010, 09:45 PM
It's usually DH who finds it in awkward places. He's found several around his big toe, and some, er, wound around parts where he was unhappy to feel constricted. :oops:

Also, my hair has killed our vacuum so many times we should start buying the belts in bulk.

Olde Soul
January 16th, 2010, 10:24 PM
My personal best is... the fly of a guy I was dancing with in junior high. It doesn't get much more awkward than that. :o

storytellerzero
January 16th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I recently had most of my hair sucked up in a vacuum cleaner. Caused the belt to burn up and snap. Couldn't find the power button with my head yanked low so I had to pull the plug from the wall. It was unpleasant. Fortunately it didn't leave much lasting damage.

Johanna
January 17th, 2010, 06:27 AM
A few of mine are;

- Someone elses armpit.
- Catching on someone else's earing.
- The standard car seatbelt.
- An Airoplane seatbelt.
- Someone else sitting on my hair.
- The back of a hairdryer.
- Wrapped around necklaces.
- Caught in my fiances facia hair.
- Wrapped around my housemates undies.
- Wrapped firmly around a round brush.

There's probably plenty more, with plenty more to come as well. A lot of your stories gave me the giggles just imagining the situations.