PDA

View Full Version : I used conditioner for the first time...WOW

Hydrilus
December 31st, 2009, 06:18 PM
Since I joined here I've progressively been making changes to my hair care routine...things like how much shampoo I use and WHERE I use it on my head, different drying methods, combing techniques and ditching the brush, oils like coconut, etc...and NOW, the latest addition to my routine, CONDITIONER.

So yes, this was the first time I've ever used a stand alone conditioner. I've always used the "shampoo + conditioner" mixed products but my hair always felt dry afterward, and now that I've tried a stand alone conditioner, there is no comparison. I've noticed a HUGE change in my hair since using it a few days ago. It's SOOOO much softer, smoother, sleeker, easier to run my fingers through, I'm noticing a huge drop in the knots and tangles, I LOVE IT!
You know how many products advertise "Makes hair 5x smoother!" or things like that? I'm pretty sure my hair is 20x smoother than it was haha.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience :D Oh and in case anyone was wondering, the conditioner I tried out is the Suave Naturals Conditioner....I grabbed the apple scented one (smells awesome) hehe

spidermom
December 31st, 2009, 06:20 PM
Good news indeed. I'd scare small children without conditioner.

Gumball
December 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM
Good news indeed. I'd scare small children without conditioner.

Hahaha. I'm sure I would, too, both with the crazy 'do and the cantankerous attitude to match it!

Conditioner can often make a huge difference and I'm glad it is doing that for you, Hydrilus. Sometimes we can take a lot of time finding what works the best, but let's hope you've instantly found the one for you!

DanielleRenae
December 31st, 2009, 06:26 PM
I'm conditioning tonight for the first time in years. Actually, I'm COing for the first time ever. I went to Sally's Beauty Supply today and bought a gallon of this salon-grade conditioner...I forget what it's called but it smells great. It's been sitting in my hair for an hour and I'm about to wash it out. I'm super excited to see how it's going to feel after all these dry, lifeless years. I hope I get results like you do.

Copasetic
December 31st, 2009, 06:28 PM
Congrats! Conditioner is pretty essential to me. I would go nuts without it.

Jordan S.
December 31st, 2009, 06:31 PM
I don't even buy shampoo anymore lol.

enfys
December 31st, 2009, 06:34 PM
I can't remember ever using shampoo without conditioner. Mum taught me well!

I'm so glad you found it to add to your routine! Here's to appley softness.

Coriander
December 31st, 2009, 06:47 PM
Uh-oh, we have a convert. :D

lora410
December 31st, 2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah, Shampoo and conditioner mixes aren't that great. I can't believe you never use conditioner alone!!

Tornerose
December 31st, 2009, 07:59 PM
Wow can't believe you've never tried it before.

But yay for good results :D

GlassEyes
December 31st, 2009, 09:09 PM
I've always used conditioner, though I ddin't really see the point when I had short hair. XD I didn't think it really did anything, but that I -had- to use it. :lol: Took me a while to figure out that it did.

I'm glad it's working for you. :p

pinkbunny
December 31st, 2009, 09:46 PM
I can't imagine NOT using conditioner... As for the combo shampoo/conditioners, they've never worked for me - I don't know what it is about them but they all make my hair look like crud! Glad you found something that works - I love smelling hair stuff before I buy it, some smell great but some can be pretty rank! lol

DanielleRenae
December 31st, 2009, 09:55 PM
So I finally washed the conditioner out after an hour and a half, no shampoo, just rinsed, and my hair is pretty decent. It felt waxy at first, and I thought I hadn't rinsed out all the conditioner, but that feeling went away as my hair dried. Maybe that's what moisture feels like? I also have very soft hands so I was thinking that maybe my sense of touch was tricking me. Who knows?

I like it so far, but my dandruff is already a problem. Does this eventually go away with regular COing?

JaneinMarch
December 31st, 2009, 11:47 PM
I'm wondering about the dandruff thing too, since I started using conditioner for the first time in years on the 30th of Dec., 2009. I used a LOT and left it in(as per Teri of the biracialhair.org site) and so far my itch is no worse than usual.
My hair is incredbly defined- I just need to use less next time.

Hydrilus
January 1st, 2010, 12:23 AM
So I finally washed the conditioner out after an hour and a half, no shampoo, just rinsed, and my hair is pretty decent. It felt waxy at first, and I thought I hadn't rinsed out all the conditioner, but that feeling went away as my hair dried.

What I've figured out so far from conditioning (for me anyway...) is that my hair felt even better the day AFTER conditioning... I dunno maybe it takes a day or so for the full effect or something but that's just what I've noticed during my short time using it hehe

walterSCAN
January 1st, 2010, 12:51 AM
Glad you like it! And agreed about the overall icky-ness of 2-in-1's. I've never liked them...

I'm (unsuccessfully) trying to convince my fiance that he wouldn't have to rip (ACK!!) tangles out of his hair if he would just condition it... He says that conditioner is just for women. :rolleyes:
His hair is only about an inch over his ears though, and he always gets it chopped off every 3-4 months anyway, but he's always complaining about how thin he thinks it's getting... MAYBE if he wasn't ripping it out while combing it might stay thicker...

::vows, shakes fist dramatically::
one day i will convert him... one day...

hehe. Sorry for the rant.

shockinglength
January 1st, 2010, 01:01 PM
I don't even buy shampoo anymore lol.

Neither do I!!!! :cheese:

jaine
January 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM
I can't imagine NOT using conditioner... As for the combo shampoo/conditioners, they've never worked for me - I don't know what it is about them but they all make my hair look like crud! Glad you found something that works - I love smelling hair stuff before I buy it, some smell great but some can be pretty rank! lol

Ditto for me too! I depend on conditioner so much. I'm not even sure how I would fully rinse out shampoo without conditioner. My first swipe of conditioner after a shampoo always foams up with leftover shampoo no matter how long I rinse out the shampoo with water first.