PDA

View Full Version : Weird tiny strands along neckline?(pic)

Dreams_in_Pink
December 31st, 2009, 12:45 PM
This is what i'm talking about:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4582&pictureid=58888
See those very curly tiny strands on my neck? What are they? Should I remove them? (because they make updos look kinda "untidy")
What do you think?

ArienEllariel
December 31st, 2009, 12:48 PM
I have them too. except sometimes they're several inches long.. I just deal with em. :) I prefer letting them be vs. shaving or trimming them and having odd little stumps growing out.

motormuffin
December 31st, 2009, 12:48 PM
Just leave 'em...they're cute.

BunnyBee
December 31st, 2009, 12:52 PM
Everyone has those hairs around the hairline and the back of the neck. They just naturally have a very short terminal length and there is no way you can make them grow longer. Some people (mainly men with short hair) do shave that part of their neck to keep a tidy look but it might look a little unnatural.

Anje
December 31st, 2009, 01:00 PM
I've got them too. They're just hairs with a really short terminal length.

Most people just leave them. Mine occasionally get tangly and knot up, and when this happens I tend to just chop them back to about an inch long. This is probably not the best approach, but I honestly don't care.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 31st, 2009, 01:08 PM
I'm tempted to get rid of them cause they really feel tangly and way too curly for my 2a hair (those are like, 4a?) it wouldn't be easy though :/

Gumball
December 31st, 2009, 01:13 PM
I'm tempted to get rid of them cause they really feel tangly and way too curly for my 2a hair (those are like, 4a?) it wouldn't be easy though :/

That will result in ongoing maintenance since they'll keep on growing back. I used to try to do that, but eventually just gave in, got used to them, and stopped worrying. Less hassle that way. :)

Dreams_in_Pink
December 31st, 2009, 01:16 PM
That will result in ongoing maintenance since they'll keep on growing back. I used to try to do that, but eventually just gave in, got used to them, and stopped worrying. Less hassle that way. :)

I know...but my hair's kinda short & shapeless right now so i almost always have it in french braid. When my hair grows to at least APL i'll just let my hair down and these hairs won't be a nuisance :D

It would look very nasty to shave them, but i wonder if i can pluck at least some of it so that it won't look as dirty :/

curlylocks85
December 31st, 2009, 01:16 PM
I have these hairs too. When I wear my hair up I usually bobby pin them if they are annoying me. I have gotten used to them and they do not bother me as much now.

SunshineHair
December 31st, 2009, 01:37 PM
If you do try to shave/cut them be careful because it might end up looking funny and because even more unappealing to you.

I know you hate the, still they are cute, they have their own curl and they add a lot to you :) Just wanted you to know that!

bumblebums
December 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM
It's your "kitchen"! (a term used by super-curlies for hair at the nape, which is hard to straighten or get into cornrows, etc.)

I would just let it be. There's not much you can do with those hairs, short of slicking them down with gel or something like that. In an updo, you can even take advantage of it and play it up, like those ladies in the 17th century used to do.