PDA

View Full Version : Happy hair update!

Forever_Sophie
December 31st, 2009, 09:28 AM
Some of you may remember the awful V a stylist cut into my hair the last time it was "trimmed" (last spring, I think). Well, here's the progress since that cut:

http://img.makeupalley.com/0/8/1/5/1496634.JPG

Got my grandma to trim the very ends (months or so later),

http://img.makeupalley.com/0/8/1/5/1496635.JPG

And after my trim (by the first stylist...I've gone to for yrs now) yesterday,

http://img.makeupalley.com/0/8/1/5/1496636.JPG

Yay! I haven't been posting as much lately but thanks sooo much for the advice through the years, I've learned so much here :) I'm amazed to be at a place where I can trim my hair and STILL have it around my waist! It's a dream realized, seriously.

Oh, and anyone remember me quitting the daycare job b/c everyone else had lice, a yr ago? Well, now I'm working in health, homeopathics, and my boss won't keep her gross hands out of my hair! Okay, well, it's like once a month but still. So ew.

That said, I hope everyone's holidays are going well, happy new year!

Forever_Sophie
December 31st, 2009, 09:29 AM
Forgot to subscribe to the tread :p

DarkChocolate
December 31st, 2009, 09:32 AM
Your hair looks very nice now:) I love your rich color and shine too:)

Sweetness
December 31st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Your hair is AMAZING !
I'm getting so jealous of so many people's hair here :oops: :)

Coriander
December 31st, 2009, 10:39 AM
I love your color. It looks very silky! :)

Latin Tea
December 31st, 2009, 11:08 AM
That's my goal....to be able to grow to my waist and slowly thicken up my ends with trims. Good to know it does happen! :)

spidermom
December 31st, 2009, 11:11 AM
Oh wow; great progress since the V-cut. Your hair looks perfect.

Gumball
December 31st, 2009, 11:11 AM
Three cheers for a happy hair update! Your hair is looking wonderful. Too bad you still get bouts of "grubby hands in hair". Hehe.

SunshineHair
December 31st, 2009, 11:15 AM
The thought of your boss messing w/ your hair even bugs me!!!

Put a braid in and every time she goes for it spin around and whip her! That might teach her hehe!

Forever_Sophie
December 31st, 2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks so much, ladies!! You've made my day :)

Great idea, SunshineHair ! It's ironic, I was over the moon to get a job where I can leave my hair down, and for this idiot to be handling money, etc. then touching my hair...UGH!! She's ridiculously anti-perfume and one day said she's "still detecting a synthetic scent" on me. It was this pricey serum in my hair, I said it was probably that. She GRABS my hair and SMELLS it. :rant: :mad:

Anyway, thanks again. So great to have people who understand!

curlylocks85
December 31st, 2009, 05:03 PM
Your hair is beautiful I love the second picture, nice curls.

30isthenewblack
December 31st, 2009, 05:14 PM
Great job at growing out the 'V'! It looks great. :) I like a U shape on myself but prefer the blunt cut on your hair.

Forever_Sophie
December 31st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Oh, it's a U, 30isthenewblack :) Guess it wasn't all in the back enough to show it. I actually asked the stylist at one point, "It's still long in the back, right?" LOL It looks bra-strap length from the front.

30isthenewblack
December 31st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Oh, it's a U, 30isthenewblack :) Guess it wasn't all in the back enough to show it. I actually asked the stylist at one point, "It's still long in the back, right?" LOL It looks bra-strap length from the front.

Whoops! I don't know my alphabet shapes :) I do love the 'U' shape as well.

Libilou
December 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM
I woke with someone who is supposed allergic to any scents at all, even natural oils. I've asked her how she can work out in the garden and yard if that is the case, but she can't seem to answer me.

It's very frustrating.

Forever_Sophie
December 31st, 2009, 05:37 PM
I woke with someone who is supposed allergic to any scents at all, even natural oils. I've asked her how she can work out in the garden and yard if that is the case, but she can't seem to answer me.

It's very frustrating.

Tell me about it! Double standards galore!! I don't stand for anything these people do. Today a co-worker said my perfume (yes, I'm such a rebel!) doesn't bother her but would give her son an asthma attack :rolleyes: Perhaps if he were IMMUNIZED...I'm totally going off-topic, but her kids - I've worked in 5 day cares, and never came across kids allergic to absolutely everything. Vegetables, inc. She's opposed to vaccinating her kids and would much rather give them mercury!!

If only jobs were easy to come by, I'd be sooo out of there.

Libilou
December 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM
If only jobs were easy to come by, I'd be sooo out of there.

Oh, I hear you. I would be out of my job and into a new so fast heads would spin, if there was another job to be had!

She is part of the reason I'm growing my hair, including my bangs, out. I could not even use hairspray around her without her complaining. I can use no product on my hair at all. She uses hairspray, but the rest of us can't even use deodorant!

Crazy lady. I think she does it to try and control us.

I do believe in allergies, just not convenient ones.

Shicurls
December 31st, 2009, 05:46 PM
Oh my! :confused:

Your hair is absolutely very beautiful!!!

Forever_Sophie
December 31st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Oh, I hear you. I would be out of my job and into a new so fast heads would spin, if there was another job to be had!

She is part of the reason I'm growing my hair, including my bangs, out. I could not even use hairspray around her without her complaining. I can use no product on my hair at all. She uses hairspray, but the rest of us can't even use deodorant!

Crazy lady. I think she does it to try and control us.

I do believe in allergies, just not convenient ones.

Perfectly said! Glad I'm not alone in having to put up with this crap.

Speaking of hairspray, one day I came back from my break and sprayed the desk with alcohol (we keep it on the counter for germs). She came out and said, "I smell hairspray." She was ready to ream me for that!

spidermom
December 31st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Arbitrary rules about scents! Reminds me of when I worked in an office. I had a patchouli lotion that I would put on my feet at night. Several of my coworkers the next day had a fit and said that we were absolutely positively prevented from wearing scents to work. O.k., fine, but what about the ones who scurry outside for a cigarette break every chance they get and bring that burning tobacco scent back inside? What about them? What about all the people running around the office with scented deodorants that are smelling a bit musky and overly sweet by mid-afternoon? Why was my scent the unacceptable one?

O.k., sorry for the hijack; I'll quit now.

Forever_Sophie
December 31st, 2009, 06:11 PM
Arbitrary rules about scents! Reminds me of when I worked in an office. I had a patchouli lotion that I would put on my feet at night. Several of my coworkers the next day had a fit and said that we were absolutely positively prevented from wearing scents to work. O.k., fine, but what about the ones who scurry outside for a cigarette break every chance they get and bring that burning tobacco scent back inside? What about them? What about all the people running around the office with scented deodorants that are smelling a bit musky and overly sweet by mid-afternoon? Why was my scent the unacceptable one?

O.k., sorry for the hijack; I'll quit now.

I hear ya - what's worse, right? 2nd hand smoke trumps patchouli :mad:

kam984420
December 31st, 2009, 06:37 PM
That looks awesome! You've done an excellent job at growing out your V. Its extremely healthy and I absolutely love your length!!!!!!

janeytilllie
December 31st, 2009, 07:05 PM
Your hair looks amazing and is beautiful :)

girlcat36
December 31st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! And because it is so gorgeous, that V taper didn't look too bad, either!

Leabhar
December 31st, 2009, 09:49 PM
Your hair is lovely! You have a lot of patience to put up with your boss--I would've broken her hand by now for touching me without permission, what is she thinking?!

SlightlySoprano
December 31st, 2009, 10:27 PM
Gorgeous! I hope I can fill out my ends like that at waist length someday!

Aditi
January 1st, 2010, 01:20 AM
Gorgeous hair :) But frankly i liked your V cut hair too :flower:

Forever_Sophie
January 1st, 2010, 07:54 AM
Thank you all so much!! I remember being inspired by everyone here, thinking I'll never get to this length. It's a bit surreal! :)

Your hair is lovely! You have a lot of patience to put up with your boss--I would've broken her hand by now for touching me without permission, what is she thinking?!

LOL @ broken her hand! I wish! Thing is, you know if it were a man, he'd think twice before doing that kind of thing.

Pixna
January 1st, 2010, 11:41 AM
Honestly, your hair has looked amazing at each stage, including the V!! But it looks fantastic now, and it's great that it is the length and hemline you've wanted. Congratulations on your excellent progress!! :toast:

Fractalsofhair
January 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM
I love your hair! It looks lovely. Great progress as well!

With perfume, some people do have severe allergies to it. I used to have an allergy to it, and I'd break out in hives and have trouble breathing if I was around someone with it on, even scented shampoo or deodorant or lotion even! If I was lucky, I'd have a severe migraine and be unable to work. It's a serious problem, and it's a pain. Thankfully, mine seems to have cleared up a bit, but I do have a lot of allergies still. I can't eat foods with artificial colors or flavors in them or else I throw up or get a migraine. Really not fun. Essential oils never seemed to bother me, and I don't know why. When I was an infant, I had to go on antibiotics. I broke out in a full body rash from the dyes in them. An infant can't really fake hives and trouble breathing and have to go to the ER, where it's cold. A lot of people just don't like other people's perfume and claim they're allergic, but aren't really. That's sad when it happens, since it gives a bad name to those of us with actual allergies.(Think of it this way. Some people are allergic to peanuts. If you don't believe them, ask their doctor. If they don't like peanut butter, they won't be able to get you a note if you're their boss or coworker. If they are allergic, they'll be quick to give you the info or show your their epipen.)

Forever_Sophie
January 1st, 2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks, Fractalsofhair !

I believe some people are truly allergic, but, in this case, when some perfumes are okay while others aren't - it's such a double standard. All the co-workers admit to liking, even buying certain perfumes.

Spring
January 1st, 2010, 01:18 PM
Beautiful V and beautiful progress!! Your Grandma did a nice job :)

jaine
January 1st, 2010, 03:15 PM
Wow - beautiful glossy hair!

That is really strange about the perfume double standards. What about the scents that most people can't do without - dryer sheets, shampoo, conditioner, scented deodorant - do they even ban those too? It seems so arbitrary to ban perfume because almost everything is perfumed.

Forever_Sophie
January 1st, 2010, 03:23 PM
Wow - beautiful glossy hair!

That is really strange about the perfume double standards. What about the scents that most people can't do without - dryer sheets, shampoo, conditioner, scented deodorant - do they even ban those too? It seems so arbitrary to ban perfume because almost everything is perfumed.

Thanks, and I should have noted, she actually gave me a "scent free" (it smells like biosilk, I guess it just fades...) serum. Hair products have scents, I guess luckily I wash my hair at night so the scent's gone by the next day.

Thing is, at what point do you demand people to SHOWER? More than once, in "scent free environments," I've been around some truly heinous smelling people, who could definitely have used some Herbal Essences :p

jaine
January 1st, 2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks, and I should have noted, she actually gave me a "scent free" (it smells like biosilk, I guess it just fades...) serum. Hair products have scents, I guess luckily I wash my hair at night so the scent's gone by the next day.

Thing is, at what point do you demand people to SHOWER? More than once, in "scent free environments," I've been around some truly heinous smelling people, who could definitely have used some Herbal Essences :p

Yeah definitely ... Everything has a scent, including people who are not wearing any additional scent. Scent-free environment is an interesting concept for an office ... I wonder ... are natural scents allowed ... like a conditioner scented with essential oils and plant extracts and such? I would have trouble shopping for hair care & body care products if they had to be totally unscented. It rules out so many good choices.

LoversLullaby
January 1st, 2010, 03:48 PM
Your hair looks so shiny and silky, I'm jealous!

Fractalsofhair
January 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM
ForeverSophie-Yeah, buying products that are perfumes and wearing them to work would be quite a double standard! If you're wearing them outside of work, then it's different. Only one or two co workers might have an allergy. But it's tragic when people use allergies to get out of something they just don't like the scent of!
Jaine-It depends on what you use to shower. If you're showering using unscented soaps, no deodorant, no lotion, no makeup, no nothing, you're not going to smell from a distance. Maybe like cat fur/sweat. Generally scent free means even no essential oils as many people are allergic to certain ones.(Imagine a person with a severe peanut allergy going into a job where someone had put peanut oil in their hair! BAD IDEA! Esp, if they're the sort that can't even go to the grocer if there's peanuts around. ) They do make decent unscented products though. Vinegar and shampoo bars(Unscented) are the easiest way followed by brands from Whole Foods(Their store brand comes unscented and is quite reasonable in price. I think around $2.50 for a giant container. Not as cheap as VO5, but still very cheap.). It's not too hard if you get used to it. Most "naturally scented" products still have synthetic fragrances, like Burt's Bees, very very few have only essential oils. (The labeling is quite confusing to me with what is considered a fragrance and not.) It's a pain if you have allergies, but trust me, you can get around it.

Forever_Sophie
January 1st, 2010, 07:00 PM
Oh yeah, we sell essential oils, Burts Bees products, AND men's cologne (might be by Burts Bees, not sure). It's 1 or 2 bottles. We sell scented lotions, etc. It's so arbitrary.

Fractalsofhair
January 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Forever_Sophie-Yeah, if they're selling anything but for Burt's Bees super Shiny shampoo and conditioner, it has artificial fragrance in it.

little_acorn
January 2nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
Great hair :D very shiny and a beautiful colour.

Re the scent issue I get migraines that can be precipitated by some scents - some types of perfumes/aftershave. I work in a small office so this can be a problem. If it crops up, I usually ask the person wearing the perfume if they would mind not wearing it to work due to the scent triggering migraines. It has never been a problem for them to stop. Sometimes we can even get away with them using much less of the scent.