PDA

View Full Version : Yoga hairstyles on super-long hair?

bumblebums
December 31st, 2009, 07:26 AM
There is an active thread asking about hairstyles for generic exercise (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=39581), but instead of highjacking it, I thought I'd start a new one. Yoga presents special hair challenges compared to exercise. Most people don't spend a long time standing on their heads when they are on an elliptical machine!

So, are there any yogi(ni)s here with really long hair (tailbone+), and what do you do with your hair when you practice? Leave it in a braid? Two braids? Change it throughout the session?

For now, this is an idle curiosity question, as my own hair is nowhere near long enough to present any problems. I just put it in a braid or two, and it stays out of the way. I can foresee, though, that it might become more of a problem as it gets longer. It's already kind of a pain to have it in a French braid while doing Shoulderstand.

myrrhmaiden
December 31st, 2009, 07:30 AM
I would think a snug, high-up bun would do nicely...

bumblebums
December 31st, 2009, 07:32 AM
How do you do a headstand with a high-up bun? Doesn't it also get in the way when you do Urdhva Dhanurasana?

SimplyLonghair
December 31st, 2009, 08:01 AM
When I was practicing almost daily and had long hair, I used a high but back of the head braided bun. One that created an almost flat with the top of the head profile. If you understand. It created extra balance when I did my headstands and the like. I made sure that I used plastic hairpins though as metal ones tried to impale me.:p But if I didn't use enough pins though it would come tumbling down. :rolleyes:

Good luck in finding something that works for you though. :D

linda g
December 31st, 2009, 08:16 AM
This page has an image of Seane Corn with a low bun:

http://www.43things.com/things/view/260809/touch-my-feet-to-my-head-in-scorpion-pose-vrishchikasana

Maybe that might work?

I've also seen people with their hair in 2 low braids.

GoddesJourney
December 31st, 2009, 09:29 AM
This page has an image of Seane Corn with a low bun:

http://www.43things.com/things/view/260809/touch-my-feet-to-my-head-in-scorpion-pose-vrishchikasana

Maybe that might work?

I've also seen people with their hair in 2 low braids.

That's an awesome picture, by the way.

Sweetness
December 31st, 2009, 09:46 AM
I love yoga but don't have such long hair (for now..)

I'd say a low braid (or more than one), a loose french braid, or a low bun (as in the beautiful picture above)

Magdalene
December 31st, 2009, 09:47 AM
For gymnastics I do two low buns under my ears (with elastics rather than pins which might dig into my scalp.) That would probably work well for yoga, too.

bumblebums
December 31st, 2009, 01:31 PM
For gymnastics I do two low buns under my ears (with elastics rather than pins which might dig into my scalp.) That would probably work well for yoga, too.

That sounds very practical, thanks! I was thinking of something similar, maybe two low braids that you could roll or tie into individual knots for most of the practice or undo for Savasana. (Savasana is the one big difference between gymnastics and yoga: it is practiced at the end of every session, and it requires having the back of your head flat on the floor, so a bun like the one in the pic would not work and would have to be undone.) The problem with two braids or a single braid is that if they are very long, you have to constantly worry about not stepping on them, and they would flop forward in any sort of inversion of forward bend. It is very important in yoga to concentrate, and fiddling with your hair would kind of get in the way of that...

I have a teacher with beautiful waist-length hair. She puts it in a pony or a bun when she demonstrates poses for us, but generally leaves it to hang. I started thinking what that would be like with hair as long as some of the people on this site have, and it just does not seem easy!

enfys
December 31st, 2009, 01:43 PM
From BSL to classic I always found pigtails, just a plain plait under each ear, worked well. At longer lengths they can be tied around each other to stop them swinging around, but for lying down poses they can be laid either side of you.

Seane Corn's name is cracking me up right now. Sion Corn is pronounced the same and is Welsh for Santa Claus!

bumblebums
December 31st, 2009, 01:50 PM
From BSL to classic I always found pigtails, just a plain plait under each ear, worked well. At longer lengths they can be tied around each other to stop them swinging around, but for lying down poses they can be laid either side of you.

Seane Corn's name is cracking me up right now. Sion Corn is pronounced the same and is Welsh for Santa Claus!
Brilliant, enfys, thank you!

Tornerose
December 31st, 2009, 07:47 PM
I've been thinking about this too, as I want to start yoga. I probably won't be able to worry about the headstand for quite a few years yet, but my hair is long and I'e noticed I need to do something smart just for the starting poses.

I've been thinking Princess Leia buns or just pigtailbrais that get shortened by making load of loops in the lenght...

Teacherbear
December 31st, 2009, 07:59 PM
When my hair was fingertip length and I was practicing yoga, I wore my hair in a single low braid (without a tie at the nape). If we were moving around a lot I could stick my braid tail in my top.

squee
December 31st, 2009, 11:11 PM
You could braid your hair then wrap it around your head. Worked for me when I did yoga. :)

Quixii
January 1st, 2010, 12:19 AM
For gymnastics, I braid my hair, tie it in a knot, and hold it all with scrunchies.
For competitions, I do the Amish hairstyle that was talked about on here a while ago. It's flatter on my head, but takes longer so I don't do it for regular practice. :)

akka naeda
January 1st, 2010, 05:43 AM
There is an active thread asking about hairstyles for generic exercise (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=39581), but instead of highjacking it, I thought I'd start a new one. Yoga presents special hair challenges compared to exercise. Most people don't spend a long time standing on their heads when they are on an elliptical machine!

So, are there any yogi(ni)s here with really long hair (tailbone+), and what do you do with your hair when you practice? Leave it in a braid? Two braids? Change it throughout the session?

For now, this is an idle curiosity question, as my own hair is nowhere near long enough to present any problems. I just put it in a braid or two, and it stays out of the way. I can foresee, though, that it might become more of a problem as it gets longer. It's already kind of a pain to have it in a French braid while doing Shoulderstand.

My hair's knee length and I have it in a single plait, because I can then flip it over my shoulder and have it across my chest when I do shoulderstand. I only have problems when we do flows with arm balances because sometimes I end up with my hands on my hair. Depending on the speed of the class and the length of your hair changing the style through the session will be impossible or just annoy the instructor:) and a low bun will prevent you doing anything which requires you to lie on your back. Wrapping the plait round my head was an impossibility when I was allowed to do headstand (medical reasons prevent me doing it now) because the hair got in the way

bumblebums
January 1st, 2010, 03:06 PM
I've been thinking about this too, as I want to start yoga. I probably won't be able to worry about the headstand for quite a few years yet, but my hair is long and I'e noticed I need to do something smart just for the starting poses.

I've been thinking Princess Leia buns or just pigtailbrais that get shortened by making load of loops in the lenght...
I did my first headstand two months into the introductory course sequence, so you might have to worry about it sooner than you think!

And yes, akka_naeda, the arm balance thing is exactly what I was thinking about. Even jumping forward from downward facing dog into a standing forward bend might be a bit dangerous--you could step on your braid!

enfys
January 1st, 2010, 03:31 PM
I did my first headstand two months into the introductory course sequence, so you might have to worry about it sooner than you think!

And yes, akka_naeda, the arm balance thing is exactly what I was thinking about. Even jumping forward from downward facing dog into a standing forward bend might be a bit dangerous--you could step on your braid!

Yes you could. And it would hurt your neck quite badly with the jolt and you'd be a bit more careful/fearful next time.

I'm just guessing here. Ahem.

Iylivarae
January 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM
I always put my hair in a braid. If we do exercises on the back, I just flip it to the side, if we stand up or sit or are feet-over-head, the braid is no problem to handle. If the braid is long enough to sit on it I will probably just fold it.

eternallyverdan
January 1st, 2010, 08:34 PM
I did an intensive yoga course a while ago, and I tried pretty much everything before I came across what I use now. Braid the length of your hair very low on your neck, then pull it over one shoulder, fold it in half, and put a ponytail holder in it. Just pull it to over your shoulder for shavasana, it won't get in the way for any jumping, and if you do it low enough you can move it away from your nape for the shoulder stand. Here's a picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/yogabraid.jpg

My only problem with it is the holder will occasionally fall out if you're doing really intense stuff, but that only happened to me a couple times. Good luck!

akka naeda
January 2nd, 2010, 07:36 AM

Doesn't happen to me as my feet end up inside/between my hands, and my hair is outside:). Perhaps I'm just lucky?

curlylocks85
February 26th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Have you heard of Loiuse Solomon? She is the founder of Yogalates and has TBL hair. I have seen her wear it in a braid that starts very high and tucks into her outift. She does not seem to have a problem.

Carolyn
February 26th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I'm just starting a 7 week yoga course. I know I won't be standing on my head! I plan to see how a single braid works. I've thought of using an extra scrunchie and doubling it up if the braid gets in the way and won't stay tucked in to my top.

bumblebums
February 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Have you heard of Loiuse Solomon? She is the founder of Yogalates and has TBL hair. I have seen her wear it in a braid that starts very high and tucks into her outift. She does not seem to have a problem.

Can't say I've heard of her, but I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to yoga... never done Pilates or anything derived from it.

The consensus here does appear to be one of: (a) a single braid, or (2) twin braids/pigtails, or (3) a braid wrapped on itself with a scrunchy or an elastic.

Firegarnet
February 26th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I like a single low braid. That has worked for me with waist to past classic lengths. It doesn't seem to get in my way. I don't like buns so much- I can't make them lay, and stay, flat enough for when I'm on my back.

guccixx
February 26th, 2010, 11:02 AM
When I do yoga I always wear it in a french or dutch braid. HTH.

merryhair
February 26th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Okay, here's what I do:meditate: I put my hair in a low braid (so, it doesn't get bumpy at the back of my head) and tie off the end with a scrunchy for all the lying poses, it works well for me. When I do stretches and other Asanas(where I actually stand), I make a soft bun with my braid and secure it with the scrunchy. This method has always been very comfortable for me. If you think the scrunchy isn't good enough to hold your hair, then use a hair stick or a pair of claw clips to bun.

ETA: I think it'd be fun if there are more yoga smilies other than this :meditate:

Twil
February 26th, 2010, 03:34 PM
We do yoga to warm up in belly dancing. I had it in a braid, but when I did inverts it felt like it was pulling out of my skull. Stealing an idea from ravneed (I have a feeling that's not spelled right, and a hunch that that's not even the right person) I put my hair into to side buns, right on the crest of the head. So, it's not on the top (I can be upside down) or on the side really (so I can lay on my side), or in the back (when I lay down). It looks a litte goofy though!

SwordWomanRiona
February 27th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I've recently started doing yoga :meditate:, and I've been wondering what to do with my hair too, so thanks for the thread!
I of course won't be headstanding any time soon, but with classic+ length hair a braid (whether in a ponytail or not) presents potential danger when I have to kneel/lie down on the mat...I tend to try to step on my hair. And that's a pity, because I find a braid so comfy! Maybe I'll tuck it in my clothing, as I've just read here...
Yesterday I tried a bun and it worked well for me too. But I didn't have to lie on my back, that's where it might get uncomfortable.

How about wearing a braid when standing, and tucking it into a braided bun when lying face down, and then switching back to the braid when lying on my back?? :D

SwordWomanRiona
February 27th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I think it'd be fun if there are more yoga smilies other than this :meditate:

I agree! I want one with the warrior pose!

bumblebums
February 27th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I've recently started doing yoga :meditate:, and I've been wondering what to do with my hair too, so thanks for the thread!

Thanks for resurrecting it!

I of course won't be headstanding any time soon, but with classic+ length hair a braid (whether in a ponytail or not) presents potential danger when I have to kneel/lie down on the mat...I tend to try to step on my hair. And that's a pity, because I find a braid so comfy! Maybe I'll tuck it in my clothing, as I've just read here...
Yesterday I tried a bun and it worked well for me too. But I didn't have to lie on my back, that's where it might get uncomfortable.

How about wearing a braid when standing, and tucking it into a braided bun when lying face down, and then switching back to the braid when lying on my back?? :D

You know, it occurred to me today (in yoga class :) ) that wearing a braid and then bunning it with a knitting U-pin might just do the trick--wear it as a braided bun for most of the session, and then undo it into a braid for the headstand/savasana stuff.

princessp
February 27th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I am just past TB. The best thing for me is a cinnabun held with a pair of quattro flexstick. When doing inversion I simply pull them out. My hair generally stays in place because I tuck the ends under. If it unwurls, I just take a moment to put it back up. I have also simply worn my hair in a low pony for yoga honestly, it feels nice flipping around back there. And I also get to say hello to it throughout my practice. :)

-j-
February 28th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I have found a french braid with 5 sections very good.

It holds hair very well and is quite flat against the head. Of course, the trick is to learn to do it first. I think I found the link to the tutorial somewhere on LHC. It was very hard for me at first, but after many failed attempts I managed to do it right :)

terpentyna
February 28th, 2012, 03:23 AM
I think (french/dutch) crown braids are the best, but since it's hard to do, I say twin braids/french braids. I'm only waist length at the moment though. There's a pic in my album of how I did my hair for gym/yoga, it's basically a crown that starts like at least 4 inches from your hairline, and then you swir the rest of your hair inside the crown rather than outside.

I'd be glad to hear if anyone has done a headstand in the spiral dutch/french braid, the one from this thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66974&highlight=spiral+braid)

SwordWomanRiona
February 28th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks for resurrecting it!

You know, it occurred to me today (in yoga class :) ) that wearing a braid and then bunning it with a knitting U-pin might just do the trick--wear it as a braided bun for most of the session, and then undo it into a braid for the headstand/savasana stuff.

:)

That sounds great! I'll be trying that, thanks! :)

longhairedleah
February 28th, 2012, 08:33 AM
My hair isn't nearly that long (yet), but even so, I find the two simple braids at the side to be annoying, and buns (at any height), and pigtails (how can i lie with my ear to one side?)

My ultimate and beloved solution has been amish style braids. My hair sticks flat to my head all around, no hair/braids to get caught under my hands or feet at any point. Nothing in the way when I want to get into any pose! And it stays in place the whole time! It's been a fantastic discovery!

Torrin Paige
February 28th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I wear mine down and take a hairstick. I stick it in a Nautilus for all of the active stuff and then take it down for inversions, back work, and shavasana. I will occasionally do French pigtails as well. I've never found a single braid to be comfortable for me as when I'm in corpse pose there is always a lump and I cannot relax properly. :o)

bumblebums
February 28th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I wear mine down and take a hairstick. I stick it in a Nautilus for all of the active stuff and then take it down for inversions, back work, and shavasana. I will occasionally do French pigtails as well. I've never found a single braid to be comfortable for me as when I'm in corpse pose there is always a lump and I cannot relax properly. :o)

Understandable--if I had your amount of hair, I probably wouldn't find it comfortable to lie on, either :)

The only thing that would bother me about having my hair down is the neck sweat. Especially when the teachers do their savasana massages on me. I hope they get a ton of tolerance+acceptance lectures about sweaty students in their teacher training...

Torrin Paige
March 1st, 2012, 07:24 AM
You get shavasana massages? I am officially jealous! So, anywhoodles, I don't want it to stick to my neck either - which is why I fling it up over my head - which means from an aerial view, I totally look like the Bride of Frankenstein. :) It also means that I'm always in the back corner of class because I need the room for my hair. LOL.

bumblebums
March 1st, 2012, 07:34 AM
You get shavasana massages? I am officially jealous! So, anywhoodles, I don't want it to stick to my neck either - which is why I fling it up over my head - which means from an aerial view, I totally look like the Bride of Frankenstein. :) It also means that I'm always in the back corner of class because I need the room for my hair. LOL.

They are not full-on massages--but the teacher goes around the room and presses on your shoulders, or helps your neck extend, or smoothes your forehead using his/her thumbs. There's often a scented lotion or oil of some sort that they use. It's very nice, except they never ask whether it's okay if they use the lotion and I can't imagine how allergic people deal with it.

Maybe your teacher does it to other students, too, but is afraid to step on your hair? :)

longhairedleah
March 1st, 2012, 09:38 AM
I think (french/dutch) crown braids are the best, but since it's hard to do, I say twin braids/french braids. I'm only waist length at the moment though. There's a pic in my album of how I did my hair for gym/yoga, it's basically a crown that starts like at least 4 inches from your hairline, and then you swir the rest of your hair inside the crown rather than outside.

I'd be glad to hear if anyone has done a headstand in the spiral dutch/french braid, the one from this thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66974&highlight=spiral+braid)

I agree that dutch/french crown is probably fantastic, but I have yet to master the art! Once I do though, I will probably switch from amish to dutch/french crown for yoga! Probably will take the same amount of time anyways

That spiral braid sounds ideal, but like it may just take forever to do!

Amber_Maiden
March 1st, 2012, 09:41 AM
I know you are asking people past TBL, but I figured you might want my answer anyways- as I do yoga. I have hair past waist, almost at hip- I do a standard bun on the back of my head- lazy wrap or cinnamon bun, and secure it with pins, or short sticks- so that they won't interfere with my head stands. ;)

Darkhorse1
July 27th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I'm having problems finding a perfect do for all the moves---a high bun won't work if we are doing headstands (yes, I did one!!), my traditional braid that I knot works for many poses but I have to take it out just before Shavasana.

My instructor also presses the shoulders down during shivas---but I've asked her not to use the scented lotions/massage---I'm a bit weird that way--I don't mind being touched to help my body, but for massage...not for me--and she asked the first day I was there, so that was good :)

I love yoga! I'm slowly seeing results and have been doing it for about 8 months now.

Madora
July 27th, 2012, 02:00 PM

What about a lace crown braid around your head?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3J9aGjX_tc

Amapola
July 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
No one has mentioned this yet so I will. The vortex bun. The one I like is the "roped" vortex bun. Basically you put the hair in a pony, divide the pony into 4 and make 4 rope braids. Then with U-shaped pins, pin the braids, one at a time in small pieces, to your head. There is a video but I can not copy the link for some reason... It lays very flat to the head and holds like iron. I also like to use it when hauling hay as it will not move at all. The pins do not bother me but I suppose they might for a real sensitive person.

OK, this is a long link but try this: roped vortex bun. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=vortex%20bun&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CFgQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-DF5HXky3B8&ei=CfMSUNzVMaapiAL-zIGgBA&usg=AFQjCNEOhPvKBgnK85hYO4ZpLHlkkmUeTQ)

bumblebums
July 27th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I'm having problems finding a perfect do for all the moves---a high bun won't work if we are doing headstands (yes, I did one!!), my traditional braid that I knot works for many poses but I have to take it out just before Shavasana.

My instructor also presses the shoulders down during shivas---but I've asked her not to use the scented lotions/massage---I'm a bit weird that way--I don't mind being touched to help my body, but for massage...not for me--and she asked the first day I was there, so that was good :)

I love yoga! I'm slowly seeing results and have been doing it for about 8 months now.

I agree, it's hard to find a style that works for all the poses... some redos seem to be necessary. For me, a simple English braid is most comfortable at the moment, although my hair is only waist length.

What about a lace crown braid around your head?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3J9aGjX_tc

I don't think that would work with headstands for me--does it work for you?

bumblebums
July 27th, 2012, 03:41 PM
No one has mentioned this yet so I will. The vortex bun. The one I like is the "roped" vortex bun. Basically you put the hair in a pony, divide the pony into 4 and make 4 rope braids. Then with U-shaped pins, pin the braids, one at a time in small pieces, to your head. There is a video but I can not copy the link for some reason... It lays very flat to the head and holds like iron. I also like to use it when hauling hay as it will not move at all. The pins do not bother me but I suppose they might for a real sensitive person.

OK, this is a long link but try this: roped vortex bun. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=vortex%20bun&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CFgQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-DF5HXky3B8&ei=CfMSUNzVMaapiAL-zIGgBA&usg=AFQjCNEOhPvKBgnK85hYO4ZpLHlkkmUeTQ)

Interesting... that could work, though you have to be prepared for the pins potentially falling out! :)

Madora
July 27th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Bumblebums, I don't do yoga but thought the crown braid would be flater than a bun would. You could braid loosely to make less bulky.