PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a newbie mistake. Help please :)

tonyalaya
December 31st, 2009, 07:17 AM
I've stopped using shampoo, two weeks ago today. I've been using baking soda/apple cider vinegar about two or three times a week to keep the greasy spot on my crown under control. Everything is going well, until a friend tells me it looks dull. So, last night I use avocado/mayo. My hair is typically very very dry, so I'm not worried about it getting too moisturized. I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed, but it's not rinsing out. My hair is dry but it looks wet. Good for nail polish, not so much for my hair which is straight and somewhere b/t my shoulders and my bra line. I'm thinking shampoo may be my only option as I have a party tonight. Anyone btdt? I'm sorry I haven't posted an intro yet either, I've been lurking for a few weeks and just joined last night.
Thanks so much for any ideas,
Tonyalaya

2peasinapod
December 31st, 2009, 07:22 AM
You might be right about needing to shampoo. Have you tried clarifying yet? You said you rinsed and rinsed, but did you do baking soda/ apple cider vingear/ anything else yet?

I've had a lot of success using an ACV rinse to get rid of excess gunk from my hair. You can also get clarifying shampoos.

Good luck and welcome to LHC! :)

bumblebums
December 31st, 2009, 07:28 AM
Try an egg yolk, followed by an acidic rinse, 1 tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar dissolved in 8 oz of water. Always does the trick for me if I get too experimental with my no 'poo routine :)

Remember to only use cool water to rinse after egg yolk, so as not to cook it in your head.

[ETA] Baking soda might be the culprit, as far as dullness goes. How are you using it? Are you rinsing well? Is your water hard? There are a lot of variables to consider with baking soda. I never had much success with it.

tonyalaya
December 31st, 2009, 07:29 AM
I should have put that, sorry. I did rinse with ACV but did not try the baking soda solution. I don't think I have anything here at home that is sulfate free, but dh is getting off work early. So I guess if I need to shampoo, my next question would be what kind of shampoo? I'm totally a newbie at the no 'poo thing. I do have some suave naturals around here somewhere I think. And some Dr. Bonners, I thought about trying some of that. But then I thought I should wait, post here, and see if you guys who have more knowledge/experience had a better solution.

You might be right about needing to shampoo. Have you tried clarifying yet? You said you rinsed and rinsed, but did you do baking soda/ apple cider vingear/ anything else yet?

I've had a lot of success using an ACV rinse to get rid of excess gunk from my hair. You can also get clarifying shampoos.

Good luck and welcome to LHC! :)

lapushka
December 31st, 2009, 07:49 AM
I'd just shampoo with a regular shampoo for now, and leave the experimenting until later. Also, don't try to use everything at once when you're trying new things.

SimplyLonghair
December 31st, 2009, 07:53 AM
When I get too much oil in sometimes a shampoo is all that will cut it. But have you tried to CO it? Sometimes if you leave it on long enough it will cut the oil. I leave it on at least 10 min before rinsing.
Good luck and welcome to the boards.

spidermom
December 31st, 2009, 08:05 AM
If your hair tends to be dry, avoid baking soda - it is alkaline and very drying.

girlcat36
December 31st, 2009, 08:13 AM
I agree with using conditioner to remove the oil.

piratejenny23
December 31st, 2009, 09:06 AM
i did the baking soda/ACV thing for a few weeks, then went back to shampoo, then started doing CO without reading instructions; i just saw "conditioner only" and did just that--conditioner only! if you have dry hair, the CO method may work nicely for you.

after 2 months, several hair treatment experiments, and reading several threads about crunchy/tangly ends, i read that even CO'ers use a clarifying shampoo periodically.

i bought Herbal Essences "Degunkify" and applied it from the ears down (i try to not mess with my scalp too much!!!) and my hair was SO SO SO shiny afterward!

i find conditioner left for about 5 minutes applied to crown hair (wet, in the shower) gets rid of greasiness. i try not to rub it into my scalp too much, but massage & scritch as i rinse it out.

however, another treatment that left my hair very very shiny and clean was applying conditioner to DRY hair and leaving it in for an hour or so before rinsing out. i used Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose with no added oils or anything.

so, for your party tonight, i think it would not be a bad idea to shampoo or at least condition, and then go back to your experimenting afterward.

good luck with your hair, welcome to LHC, and have fun at your party tonight! :flower:

tonyalaya
December 31st, 2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks so much for all the help! I tried CO, left it on for about 10 or so minutes, but it still felt very oily. So I used a bit of shampoo. I had a bottle of shampoo that I was trying to rinse out to put ACV solution in, so it was very diluted shampoo. It looks ok now, not fabulous, but acceptable. The party is at the house of the same friend who told me it looked 'greasy', not the shiny kind but the dull kind. :confused: I agree that it was probably the baking soda that made it look dull that day, I had mixed up a new batch and I think I made it w/too much baking soda.

Yedda
December 31st, 2009, 10:04 AM
I should have put that, sorry. I did rinse with ACV but did not try the baking soda solution. I don't think I have anything here at home that is sulfate free, but dh is getting off work early. So I guess if I need to shampoo, my next question would be what kind of shampoo? I'm totally a newbie at the no 'poo thing. I do have some suave naturals around here somewhere I think. And some Dr. Bonners, I thought about trying some of that. But then I thought I should wait, post here, and see if you guys who have more knowledge/experience had a better solution.

I have never put these ingredients in my hair but when I over-oiled my hair I had to use a non-diluted sulfate shampoo to get it out. Sulfate shampoos may be slightly harsher but they seem to get unwanted oil/grease/gunk out better too.

Coriander
December 31st, 2009, 10:34 AM
Perhaps a fancy updo can hide some of the oiliness for now. :)

Welcome to LHC! :flower:

bumblebums
December 31st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Another thought: in the future, I would avoid putting mayo in your hair if you want to stick to no 'poo. The #1 ingredient in mayonnaise is oil, and oils vary widely in how easy they are to get out of your hair. Olive oil, for example, is so viscous that it requires SLS shampoo (though EVOO is usually not used in mayo as it turns bitter when whipped), so most no 'poo-ers stay away from it.

Avocado by itself might be easier, and all the other ingredients in mayo (egg yolk, vinegar, salt, and even mustard seed!) are okay for natural hair care. But perhaps when you start out, it's best to try one thing at a time, go slow, and not switch too fast between different treatments.

piratejenny23
December 31st, 2009, 02:58 PM
It looks ok now, not fabulous, but acceptable. The party is at the house of the same friend who told me it looked 'greasy', not the shiny kind but the dull kind. :confused: I agree that it was probably the baking soda that made it look dull that day, I had mixed up a new batch and I think I made it w/too much baking soda.

incidentally, baking soda opens the cuticles, and open cuticles can make the hair look dull. closed cuticles=shiny hair; things like vinegar and cold water close the cuticles.

i've been feeling a little grumpy that your friend made you feel nervous about the way you look! i hope her comment was meant helpfully, and not because she doesn't understand your no 'poo routine.

tonyalaya
December 31st, 2009, 03:15 PM
i've been feeling a little grumpy that your friend made you feel nervous about the way you look! i hope her comment was meant helpfully, and not because she doesn't understand your no 'poo routine.

That's too funny! I didn't appreciate her comment either, but she's going through a difficult time right now so I'm trying to let her snarky comments roll off my back. (This morning it would've rolled right off my hair quite easily! lol!) She's usually not like that, guess the stress makes her critical. She does not understand why I'd want to go no 'poo, but she did know I was doing it so perhaps she was genuinely trying to be helpful. She is from Argentina and has BEAUTIFUL silky shiny thick black hair that is just gorgeous no matter what she does to it. Makes me just green with envy.

Thanks for all the other helpful advice. I truly appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out. I'm thinking of stopping the baking soda for now, my hair tends to be dry and frizz up easily. Can't wait until I have more time to dig into the articles, and let my hair completely air dry to 'type it' and all that fun stuff. :)

BlndeInDisguise
December 31st, 2009, 04:20 PM
I tried CO, left it on for about 10 or so minutes, but it still felt very oily.

Did you massage it in really well? That helps to lift the greasies off your hair. I've also found that you have to rinse longer with conditioner than you do with shampoo.