PDA

View Full Version : Becoming worried about repetitive styling

hazelnut
December 30th, 2009, 09:51 PM
My hair is still pretty short (about shoulder length maybe a little longer) and it's still pretty damaged/curly so I usually just put it in a bun using scrunchies that look something like this:

http://www.longhairgirl.com/Images/longhairgirl/15483_400_300.jpg

I know that wearing your hair the same way everyday can cause a lot of wear and tear over time, but I don't really have a choice right now because of the length of my hair at the moment. Do you guys think I will lose any hair and get breakage by continuing to do what I do now until my hair gets to a suitable length or at least becomes healthier so I can wear it down?

angelthadiva
December 30th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I often wear my hair in the same style day after day. I've been wearing my hair up every day for over two years and have found only good results from doing so. I think some of the keys to success are using hair friendly elastics w/o that evil metal crimp; using seamless combs as much as possible. Less styling, heat and washing are benefits too.

At your length, if you can ponytail, you can also do peacock twists and other styles too. Try experimenting, and have some fun! :flower:

DanielleRenae
December 30th, 2009, 10:22 PM
How about a different style? French braid or braided pigtails, perhaps?

Kris Dove
December 31st, 2009, 10:18 AM
If you do use scrunchies, go for satin ones as they cause less friction than other materials can.

SlightlySoprano
December 31st, 2009, 10:25 AM
You could try fastening your pony tail in different places every day (higher up or lower down on your head)

hmmm
December 31st, 2009, 10:28 AM
I've honestly never noticed breakage from using scrunchies. I don't know what people mean when they say that... even thinner elastic ones work well for me. I think the thing is not to yank it out of your hair but take it out gently and making sure no hair is 'trapped' in it when you take it out.

time_on_fire
December 31st, 2009, 04:05 PM
I have to vary my styles, otherwise "my hair hurts" where it meets my head.

Is your hair long enough to make two smaller buns, set low, side by side, with one stick or fork holding them together together? I bet you could do a gibson tuck, maybe a french twist?

(I know you weren't really looking for style suggestions, but I'm on a new-style obsession/frenzy. Please pardon my exhuberance.)

hazelnut
December 31st, 2009, 04:07 PM
I have to vary my styles, otherwise "my hair hurts" where it meets my head.

Is your hair long enough to make two smaller buns, set low, side by side, with one stick or fork holding them together together? I bet you could do a gibson tuck, maybe a french twist?

(I know you weren't really looking for style suggestions, but I'm on a new-style obsession/frenzy. Please pardon my exhuberance.)
Haha, that's quite alright. I welcome the suggestions.:)

Libilou
December 31st, 2009, 04:47 PM
I am also in a hair styling funk. I use a side-claw and twist my hair up into that almost every day. I've tried sticks and my hair just slips out of buns with I use one of those.

I need more ideas also.