PDA

View Full Version : Silly oiling question

whiteisle
December 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Is oil beneficial applied to dry (vs. wet) hair? I've always oiled after washing thinking I was helping to seal in moisture. I have also done overnight heavy oilings on dry hair but I admit I wonder what it's actually doing in that application. I'd love some enlightenment. :)

ArienEllariel
December 30th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I usually do dry oiling the night before washing. It seems to work for me.. Many other ladies on this site seem to do the same. I assume it works because my hair feels a lot better when I apply the oil to my dry length vs. not oiling.

Ash
December 30th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I have found that oiling towel dried hair works the best for me. I oiled on dry hair for a while but when I stopped, my hair was dry and crispy and I thought I was going to have to cut it. Some people do get on better with oiling dry hair though. Some oils are able to penetrate the hair shaft but I believe they can do that on wet or dry hair.

DragonLady
December 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I'm having better luck using it on dry hair. When I do it while my hair is wet I overdo it more often, and then have to spend more time combing it through or have to rewash to get it back out.

Vijikanth
January 2nd, 2010, 01:01 PM
I have always made it customary to wash my hair and oil it after gentle towel drying. I did this when I had short hair and even now after a year and 4 months without cut I do the same. It helps my kind of hair that is dry and curly.

spidermom
January 2nd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Hair needs essential fatty acids to be soft and flexible (rather than dry and brittle). You are not merely "sealing in moisture" when you apply oil, you are replacing lost essential fatty acids. I oil after a wash because I also use cones, and I don't want my cones to prevent my hair from being able to absorb essential fatty acids. So I shampoo, then oil, then use cones. For someone not using cones, application of oil before or after washing should work equally well, or close to it.