PDA

View Full Version : 2010-The year for trims

jivete
December 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I thought I'd start this thread for those of us who plan on trimming more aggressively in 2010. My plan is to trim monthly in 2010 to finally get rid of my layers and thicken up my hem. Every month I plan on trimming. It may be a dusting, half my growth or all my growth. But dang it, there's going to be a trim! :p

I'm following the Morocco lunar calendar to keep me on schedule. https://morroccomethod.com/lunar-hair-chart My first trim was supposed to be on Jan 2nd but since I'll be out of town, I trimmed about 1cm on Dec 22nd. The next trim is at the end of Jan. I plan on taking pics of each trim to monitor progress.

So if you feel that 2010 is the year for trims for you, please join in. I know I get frustrated when I'm trimming because I don't feel like I'm making progress and could use the support. My length goals for this year are modest (maybe 2 inches), but I'd really like to see a thicker hem as I approach waist.

Little_Bird
December 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I just posted on my blog about something similar :P

I'm not going to trim every month in 2010, but I'm starting in June - it'll then be a year since my last trim :)

I wish you very good luck! Your hair is beautyfull and I think you will get rid of your layers pretty fast! :flower:

Loreley
December 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I have plans about trimming too. I didn't trim my hair at all til last year (for five years... ugh). Then in spring this year I cut abut 4 inches. I cut in September as well and I'm going to cut on 1st January. I'm planning to trim 1 cm once in every three months in 2010. I hope it helps to thicken my ends. :scissors:

Mutinous
December 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Oh yes. I plan on trimming out the rest of my hair dye and my layers this year, so I am going to have to be a bit agressive with it. I doubt I will gain any length at all!

emi77
December 30th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I plan on trimming this year- probably only once or twice though.
Hopefully I'll still make waist by next December!

SheaLynne
December 31st, 2009, 12:43 AM
Oh, me, me! :scissors:
This is exactly my plan for the year. I'm somewhere between waist and hip with my longest strands, but I have several inches (up to 4?) of layered and heat-damaged ends that I want gone without losing my current length and ability to do updos.

So...I'm self-trimming 1/4" on the last day of each month. I've been measuring monthly, so I know I'm gaining 1/2 to 3/4" of new growth monthly, so the 1/4" will still allow me to gain length of nice healthy hair, while slowly ridding the ends of the problems. :D By the end of 2010, I should be close but not quite there on all the layers.

I hope to reach tailbone with a thicker, healthier slightly u-shaped hemline.....:cheese:

jivete
February 19th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I thought I'd post an update on my trimming. I wasn't going to trim this month and then caved. I've trimmed about 1.5" since the beginning of the year. I'm not sure if I can tell a difference from these pictures and really should try to take the pictures in the same shirt each month. But the hem feels thicker and one more 1/2"-1" trim should take me into the layers.

Pre trim 12/23/2009
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/Trim%20Maintenance/122309_pretrim.jpg

Post Trim 12/23/2009
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/Trim%20Maintenance/122309_posttrim.jpg

Pre Trim 1/19/2010

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/Trim%20Maintenance/Pre_Trim_011910.jpg

Post Trim 1/19/2010
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/Trim%20Maintenance/Post_Trim_011910.jpg

Pre Trim 02/19/2010
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/Trim%20Maintenance/Pre_trim_021910.jpg

Post Trim 02/19/2010
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/Trim%20Maintenance/Post_Trim_021910.jpg

So, yeah, I'm not sure I can see a difference in hem and the crazy variety in color and texture depending on light, oil, etc makes it hard to truly compare. I always feel like I have two more inches to cut off, especially looking at my last pictures. But it'll get there. Eventually. :rolleyes:

So if anyone has any progress pics, please share!

curlylocks85
February 19th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Good thread!

This is a year of trims for me as well. I am growing out heat damage and layers. My layers in the back are almost gone though. :cheese: After that, I will only have the shorter pieces on the side because I have a U-shaped hemline, which is all right with me.

This year I will be getting trims every three months of a half-inch or less. My next is in April. I hope within a year or two, all my damaged ends will be gone and I will have all virgin hair and it will be the healthiest it has ever been. :happydance:

jivete
February 19th, 2010, 06:55 PM
This year I will be getting trims every three months of a half-inch or less. My next is in April. I hope within a year or two, all my damaged ends will be gone and I will have all virgin hair and it will be the healthiest it has ever been. :happydance:

I think I will do one more trim next month and then start a regime like this, too. Having all virgin hair is such an exciting prospect. I'm always amazed how different the virgin hair is from the old dyed bits.

redneckprincess
February 19th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I will be trimming this year, already did once...Feb. 8 I had hubby help take off no more then 1"...It was a diffrent length on every hair..so basically he just evened it up a bit from a choppy cut a year before. (according to that chart linked above...FEB 8 is a GREAT day to cut hair to RETARD GROWTH...go figure huh, lol)

I will be cutting again, though I'm not sure when next, how often or how much at a time. I did talk about cutting 1" off everytime I grow 2....but that could change, I may decide to grow 3 and cut 1...depends on how fast it grows...(Im measuring curly/wavy now)

I do plan to gain 3-4" this year being without a doubt APL (with natural texture) My hair grew 8" last year so that would be half of my growth...though there are 8-10" that need to go before I can quit cutting....I have been here long enough and want to gain noticable growth while doing so....

enough of me rambling...I have pics in my albums you can check out if you want, though none from after the trim...Ive decided not to unless its a "noticable" trim

jivete
February 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM
enough of me rambling...I have pics in my albums you can check out if you want, though none from after the trim...Ive decided not to unless its a "noticable" trim

Yeah, I was actually hoping my trim montage would show more of a difference. :shrug: I guess like all this hair growing business, it takes so long to see progress. Funny though, if I'd chopped 1.5" the first time, I'm sure I would have seen more of an instant change.

SheaLynne
February 19th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I have added an album documenting my trimming (and growing!). I'm due for my next 1/4" trim at the end of February. I'm very happy with the decision to trim monthly this year. :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4602

julliams
February 20th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Does anyone know if the same dates apply for the southern hemisphere even though the seasons are different? I googled lunar hair chart southern hemisphere but nothing came up.

Juliette

Rentlle
February 20th, 2010, 05:35 AM
i know nothing about hemispheres and stuff,
but

i'm also trimming:D

every month a 1/4 inch, so i still have growth..
I have a LOT of layers to grow out!! they start halfway my neck... :(
so, i'm not going for "no layers anymore" this year but rather for a thicker hem..
My hem is sooooooooooo thin... :( I think that looks verry unhealthy and stuff, but i don't want to loose length, for the "view" and the updo's and stuff...)

so I'll be trimming to! great to see a topic on this :)

curlylocks85
February 20th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I have added an album documenting my trimming (and growing!). I'm due for my next 1/4" trim at the end of February. I'm very happy with the decision to trim monthly this year. :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4602

I tried following your link a few times and it says it is a invalid album. :confused:

ChrissieM
February 20th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I'm trimming this year. My sig shows what my hair looked like at the beginning of Jan. I've trimmed about 2 inches since then, aiming to even out the bottom. I'd like to be at waist or a bit longer by the end of the year with an even, thicker hemline. From now on, I'm going to do about a half inch every two months.

FrannyG
February 20th, 2010, 07:39 AM
2009 was a year of trims and maintaining the same length to get rid of damage for me.

2010 is the year of trimming and growing. I'll be trimming 1/2 inch every three months, so I'll still have a lot of growth to show for myself by the end of the year. My hair grows a bit faster than average.

myotislucifugus
February 20th, 2010, 08:12 AM
In one month I'll have finished my "no trimming for a year" experiment (excluding S&Ds) and I think I'll be regularly trimming to thicken my hemline. It's way to scraggly for my tastes right now. Not sure how I'll be doing it, either in one big chop, or gradually.

SheaLynne
February 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I tried following your link a few times and it says it is a invalid album. :confused:

Ooh, I'm sorry. I think I have that one still private...going to change it... :o

Sissy
February 20th, 2010, 09:33 PM
2010 is the year of trimming and growing. I'll be trimming 1/2 inch every three months, so I'll still have a lot of growth to show for myself by the end of the year. My hair grows a bit faster than average.

I like that idea, FrannyG. I might just have to do that as well :p

In one month I'll have finished my "no trimming for a year" experiment (excluding S&Ds) and I think I'll be regularly trimming to thicken my hemline. It's way to scraggly for my tastes right now. Not sure how I'll be doing it, either in one big chop, or gradually.

Hey, great. I did no trims for pretty much the whole of last year too but then when I got my hair trimmed most of what I had grown had to be chopped off... so I felt like it didn't do me a lot of good to go the whole year with only S&D and no trimming. I am wondering if a better way to get more growth would be to do more regular trims, once every 3 months even. What do you think? How much length did you actually gain from going the year with no trims? How much of that length will you need to lose?

Sweetness
February 20th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I'm in ! I will keep my hair BSL for at least a couple months, maybe the whole year... until all the biggest damage (and horrible layers) are finally G-O-N-E for good !

Then I will GROW, grow, grow !

Sweetness
February 20th, 2010, 09:46 PM
May I ask if there is actually anyone who says that the Moroccan calender works, or is it used only to keep track ?

ItalianFlower
February 20th, 2010, 10:04 PM
This year is a trim year for me! :D My first cut of the year will be in April, with an inch or less chopped off. I went ALL last year without a trim and it wasn't that great of a plan because of the damage I had on the last four inches or so on my hair, though it has been worse. My hair seems to grow slower than average, so I'm always loathe to cut it off BUT when it comes down to it I would rather have pretty but short (well, relatively speaking) hair than long but ugly hair. :)

thriftesfai
February 20th, 2010, 10:17 PM
This is the perfect thread for me. :D
I'm growing out my hair while trimming off heat damage and dyed ends. I'm shocked as to how my virgin hair looks at my roots as opposed to the dyed ends. I had my last trim on December 22nd, and I'm going in for my next one at the beginning of March or April. I have no real schedule, I'm just going to do it when I feel my hair needs it. I'm glad too, because I HATE splite ends. :mad:

redneckprincess
February 21st, 2010, 07:44 PM
OK so I did it again (pics by Tuesday) I had my hair trimmed...at a salon...can you believe it?!?!

She did exactly what I asked, it was nice...ok here is what I had done...She even let me face the mirror and hold a handheld mirror the whole time. and she went through it 3 times to cut off probally no more then 1" total on any hair...she was great :)

no length was hurt in the process...yes I measured before I went and when I got home. So what did I get trimmed you might be asking?? Well basically the layering...the left over bleach. It was pretty choppy layering to start with so she (cut it dry so she could see the colors)held it out and angled her fingers and every piece she cut off (none longer then .5") was a blonde end...its hard to explain but I probally wont have pics for a few days...(hubbys home tomorrow and thinks its WEIRD**)

Im VERY happy with it, Ive been thinking about doing this this for a month or more now) and when I decide to do it again...I will definetly see her for it.
it now lays flatter and my ponytail looks smoother...no more split ends :) Im happy I had it done...Now I want to gain some length and do it again in 3-4 maybe 6 months, then I can start the length trimming to even up the layering...or not, I'll see

:D and she told me if I decide to go with a henna mixture of some sort she will apply it for me for $10 :cheese: $10 thats totally worth the no mess in my bathroom!!! that diserves another cheese :cheese: or 2 :cheese::cheese:

I was going to say something else...but I forgot...oh well I'll tell you tomorrow or edit this post later

I remember now....the Lunar chart thingy...said today was a really good day for a cut/trim to gain length...so we'll see about that one, lol

jivete
February 22nd, 2010, 08:31 AM

After trimming gradually, I actually advocate a large-ish chop. You just see so little improvement with small trims that I find it pretty frustrating. You're stuck at the same length for months but it barely seems to look better.

That being said, I'm too much of a wimp for any sort of large trim. My last one was 3/4" and that seemed like way too much.

jivete
February 22nd, 2010, 08:35 AM
May I ask if there is actually anyone who says that the Moroccan calender works, or is it used only to keep track ?

I have a hard time believing it works. But, I figure it can't hurt and helps me space my trims.

JamieLeigh
February 22nd, 2010, 08:38 AM
I've always felt like an "aggressive" trimmer, compared to others on LHC. My hair grows pretty darn fast, and since I like my ends to be even, that doesn't work out so well for me, so I have to keep trimming little bits year-round to get the results I want.

And I too have been following the Lunar Chart for trims, I usually microtrim twice a month, so I use the dates for lengthening and thickening, since those are my two main focuses. :)

Nice idea for a thread!!

Feli
February 23rd, 2010, 03:51 AM
I'm going for a "big" trim today. I usually trim 1cm twice a year and that keeps the ends looking nice and tidy, which is how I like it -I'm a definite thick-hemline girl. However, now that I've reached hip length the ends are definitely starting to look thinner so I'm going to have 2 inches chopped off. I'll be glad to have my hair looking better but am still a wee bit nervous all the same. How can we get so attached to every cm of our hair?

redneckprincess
February 23rd, 2010, 08:28 PM
pics are in album...

OK so I did it again (pics by Tuesday) I had my hair trimmed...at a salon...can you believe it?!?!

She did exactly what I asked, it was nice...ok here is what I had done...She even let me face the mirror and hold a handheld mirror the whole time. and she went through it 3 times to cut off probally no more then 1" total on any hair...she was great :)

no length was hurt in the process...yes I measured before I went and when I got home. So what did I get trimmed you might be asking?? Well basically the layering...the left over bleach. It was pretty choppy layering to start with so she (cut it dry so she could see the colors)held it out and angled her fingers and every piece she cut off (none longer then .5") was a blonde end...its hard to explain but I probally wont have pics for a few days...(hubbys home tomorrow and thinks its WEIRD**)

Im VERY happy with it, Ive been thinking about doing this this for a month or more now) and when I decide to do it again...I will definetly see her for it.
it now lays flatter and my ponytail looks smoother...no more split ends :) Im happy I had it done...Now I want to gain some length and do it again in 3-4 maybe 6 months, then I can start the length trimming to even up the layering...or not, I'll see

:D and she told me if I decide to go with a henna mixture of some sort she will apply it for me for $10 :cheese: $10 thats totally worth the no mess in my bathroom!!! that diserves another cheese :cheese: or 2 :cheese::cheese:

I was going to say something else...but I forgot...oh well I'll tell you tomorrow or edit this post later

I remember now....the Lunar chart thingy...said today was a really good day for a cut/trim to gain length...so we'll see about that one, lol

spidermom
February 23rd, 2010, 09:02 PM
My very best wishes to all the new trimmers; may you get the thick ends you dream of. As for me, I'm going to continue my routine of a trim every 3-4 months (if I can afford it). I think my hair is far more beautiful with trimming than without (and I've tried it both ways).

Magicknthenight
February 23rd, 2010, 09:04 PM
I think i might suck it up and go in for a trim. My last trim off the top of my head was...December 6th 2008. Shortly after i joined the "No trimming for 1 year" thread because I found my self going in when it was unnecessary. Really just because i liked having my hair done..how me and the stylist could talk about hair and it wouldn't be weird. Lol. I s&d every once in a while. Usually on oiled hair so i don't find any splits. When clarified i found a couple but not many. I guess i just wanna trim to even things up. It seems like some of my hair grew faster. Also..I have realized the stylists have always kinda razored my sides when i went to trim even when i asked them not to. So if i trim i will just tell them a blunt cut. Other then that i don't want them to touch the layers and theirs no way I'm cutting back. I trimmed a few years ago unnecessarily so much that the layers aren't too much shorter then the length. They were longer layers to begin with anyway. I knew i wanted to trim sometime this year. I found that by not trimming my hair grew pretty fast O_O
Not sure how much..but it seemed like it grew from waist to tailbone+ in no time. (their was a lot to grow too). Now that it's passed that...I think I'm ready!
I still want to keep growing afterwords but i can remember being really happy with the prickliness after a trim haha. Now i won't really schedule it every couple months. I think i will get just a few centimeters taken off.
:sad It makes me pretty sad to take even that much off but i leave it up so much I'm sure it would grow back soon.
I thought about maybe getting to classic first and THEN trimming but i worried i would have to trim more if i waited till then? So maybe its better to trim now and let it grow. I don't really have a date but according to this schedule...i would do it in july to thicken but that seems kind of far. Theirs also one in march...that could work because its closer! Bah! I'm so undecided!
It will probably be a spur of the moment thing. Like a..."I think i should get my hair trimmed tomorrow". Who knows lol!
After that i may go back to the whole "no trimming for a year" thing so i don't get addicted to the freshly cut ends too often thing.

jivete
February 24th, 2010, 07:13 AM
pics are in album...

I posted in the other thread, too, but I think it looks great. You really can't see much loss in length at all but it does look so much thicker.

jivete
February 24th, 2010, 07:17 AM
My very best wishes to all the new trimmers; may you get the thick ends you dream of. As for me, I'm going to continue my routine of a trim every 3-4 months (if I can afford it). I think my hair is far more beautiful with trimming than without (and I've tried it both ways).

I'd really like to start following your methodology, Spidermom, especially since I think I've gotten the ends thick enough to look presentable. Actually waiting 3 months might allow me to see some growth. Looking back at pictures from October and barely seeing progress is so irritating, regardless of why there's no progress.

jivete
February 24th, 2010, 07:20 AM
After that i may go back to the whole "no trimming for a year" thing so i don't get addicted to the freshly cut ends too often thing.

I think there is something to this and I know I suffer from it. Some people have hair that grows in such a way that it will maintain those fresh ends. Mine definitely is not like that.

Emichiee
February 24th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Me...(as always)

I have been maintaining at Classic pretty much (+few cms) to grow out dye and layers since 2008.
When I was done maintaining in Summer 2009 a HUGE shed struck and ruined more than all work done.
Half of my hair is sort of transparent.

So I will be trimming my heart out this year..

(note: sig pic is older..I 'wish ' it wa slike that)

teela1978
February 24th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I've kinda started doing equinox/solstice trimming. Not for any real reason other than it keeps me to an every 4 months trim and its kinda fun keeping track of the seasons that way. We'll see if I stick with it. March 20th would be the first equinox of this year :)