PDA

View Full Version : Silk hair things, etc.

GoddesJourney
December 30th, 2009, 11:24 AM
So I finally got off my lazy @$$ and went to find the big black silk cloth I've had laying around for years and bought some elastic at the craft store. I've been meaning to do this since Halloween, when I ran across the bag with the cloth in it. Anyway, I made some tiny scrunchies and some slightly longer ones depending on what I will use them for for me and a friend. I've always hated scrunchies so I made them as thin as possible and they're hardly noticeable.

Also, I wrapped one of those plasticky/foamy hair doughnuts from Sally's in the same silk so I can make my military bun without fear of damage. I through it in with my hair ties and it's actually very secure... more secure than when I tried it with conventional hair elastics. Just goes to show that things are better and better quality when you take the time to make them yourself. I chose very strong elastic and chose the right size to just fit around my bun. Even with the slippery silk, it all stays great. I'm so proud of myself.

To share the love, I made three specially for my friend who has F/i hair and wants to grow it out. She keeps loosing volume through damage from cheap hair elastics. Lame. I bet she could get it to a ii if she stops damaging it. I also gave her a .75 inch trim, which helped a lot.

Anyway, the upside to this all (aside from having cool, guilt-free hair ties) is that I can keep my hair longer in the military than I thought I would be able to. I was counting on having to chop it all off because I couldn't get the stupid bun thing secure enough to move around in, let a lone actually run. Now, I be I can fit at least BSL into that bun. Maybe braiding the part you wrap will make it so I can fit WL, which is my first goal. Bonus. Life is good. And I avoided a trim with some heavy S&D. Things are going well for me.

pinchbeck
December 31st, 2009, 10:38 AM
That is awesome! In an earlier post I stated I wanted to buy a silk blouse or top at a thrift store to do exactly the same thing. But, hand-sewing is not my forte.You're right about tailoring your scrunchies to your needs. It would be nice to find a satin or silk scrunchy that is on the thinner side.

lillylonghair
December 31st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Awesome!!! That is a great idea to do with silk. I really need some hair elastics that are silky b/c I think mine rip some of my hair out.Also great idea with the foam.

Coriander
December 31st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Wonderful!

If I had known about the sock bun when I joined in 2003, I wouldn't have hacked off 13" of hair!