PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need to wear your hair up every day?

SlightlySoprano
December 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I am still a newbie when it comes to having long hair. I just recently decided I wouldn't go for my normal biannual CHOP OFF (i let my hair go to about 2" below shoulder, then chop it off at chin length) because over the past year my hair has thinned greatly. After talking to derms and docs, they suspect a mix of tension alopecia and some thyroid imbalance.

That being said, I am overly paranoid to wear my hair up/back often.

Is it long-hair-safe to wear it down? Are there specific things I should be doing?

Thank you:)

pepperedmoth
December 30th, 2009, 10:15 AM
A lot of people here wear their hair up every day in order to protect the length from snags and breakage. It's true this helps, but at your length it's probably less of a concern. Plus, depending on your hair, you very well may be able to wear it down frequently and still get it to grow shockingly long.

As far as the traction alopecia, I don't know what your doctor said about hairstyles, if anything (and if he/she did say anything please go for their advice and not mine), but as long as updos are gentle and loose and you don't wear the same one every day I think you should be fine.

And, of course, treat that thyroid disorder per your provider's advice!

Euphony
December 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I agree at your length it shouldn't be an issue. I didn't start wearing my hair up consistently until my hair was nearing my waist. At that point I wore my hair up probably 90% of the time.

Now that my hair is as long as it is there is danger when wearing it down - but not the danger you're talking about. I've buckled it in my seat belt, I've tucked it into my pants, yesterday I sat on it, last week it was between me and the back of my chair, I sneezed and pulled it, I stepped on it cleaning (I'm very limber), my husband has sat on it, my cat gets a sparkle in her eye when she sees a tendril of it fall over my shoulder.

I've also decided that since I accidentally surpassed my goal length (I'm way overdue for a trim), I want to trim every other month and wear my hair down far more often. I want to enjoy my hair, my hair looks good down and trimming every other month will help keep my hair in better shape so I can wear it down more often.

GoddesJourney
December 30th, 2009, 11:10 AM
You can wear it down and it's fine. A lot of people grow their hair long without doing too many updos. Anyway, good luck with the thyroid thing.

Latin Tea
December 30th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I don't wear my hair up at all. Maybe a ponytail. I just can't get the hang of those sticks either! And, well I just like it touching my neck. ;) I think it's just a matter of choice.

motormuffin
December 30th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Before my last big cut from tailbone to chin...I would always wear my hair down or in a half up. I didn't have LHC at my disposal and had no idea there were so many other options. I just let it flow.
I would say to read though the forums about general haircare and conditioners and oils. Keeping you hair in good shape...I don't see any problems with leaving it down.

shockinglength
December 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I don't think you NEED to wear it up every day....but it's a good idea, because it protects your hair.

WyrdWay
December 30th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I don't think you NEED to wear it up every day....but it's a good idea, because it protects your hair.

I have actually seen a couple of "how to grow your hair long" videos and sites that actually advocate not wearing your hair up... they say that any stress put on the hair can be bad including a simple single braid and not to tie it back unless absolutely necessary and if you do make sure it is really lose or to use a jaw clip or something like it

Merkaba
December 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I think it might just be good to wear it back to forget about the fact it isnt growing fast enough to suit you! That's what I've been doing LOL

spidermom
December 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM
With my type of hair, which floats around and grabs stuff, like the light switch cover when I'm walking by it, yes - I have to wear it up practically all the time. Bummer.

Thinthondiel
December 30th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I always wear my hair down (at a couple of inches below BSL now), and I haven't had any problems with that. Your hair is fine, so it might be more susceptible to damage, but I think that at your length, leaving it down should be fine.

Considering that you have traction alopecia, I'd probably avoid updos for a while, if I were you. Loose updos might not be bad for your scalp, but who knows? :shrug:

Fiferstone
December 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Since my hair is so fine it gets in everything when it's loose. Add in the dry air of winter and the accompanying static, look out! It will also mat like crazy when rubbed between the back of my sweater and my office chair, so up it goes 90% of the time. I'm at hip now, approaching tailbone.

Ursula
December 30th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I am still a newbie when it comes to having long hair. I just recently decided I wouldn't go for my normal biannual CHOP OFF (i let my hair go to about 2" below shoulder, then chop it off at chin length) because over the past year my hair has thinned greatly. After talking to derms and docs, they suspect a mix of tension alopecia and some thyroid imbalance.

That being said, I am overly paranoid to wear my hair up/back often.

Is it long-hair-safe to wear it down? Are there specific things I should be doing?

Thank you:)

I wear my hair up nearly constantly, without problems.

A lot depends on how you put your hair up. If your pulling your hair painfully tight, so it pulls at the roots, that's not so good. If you're using tools that are poor quality, so they snag and rip at your hair, that's not so good.

On the other hand, I can twist my hair into a smooth coil, and arrange it up, and then fasten with just one smoothly finished stick, or a pair of sticks, or a fork, or good quality hairpins, without problems.

Whether or not it is "safe" to wear you hair up or down depends on a combination of the length and what you are doing. Certainly, if you're cooking at a hot stove, you want your hair up so that it doesn't brush against a hot burner and catch fire. Likewise, if you're doing mechanical work, and don't want the hair to get caught in the gears.

People can also use "safe" in two ways for this question. One is whether it is safe for you, physically. The other is if it is safe for the hair, to avoid damage that could affect how it grows and how it looks. You can't compromise on your physical safety, but there is a lot more leeway on the safety of your hair when it comes to growth hopes.

If you prefer your hair loose, at your length, I'd simply carry a scrunchie (in a pocket, or around your wrist) so that you can quickly ponytail your hair back if necessary, with something soft and non-damaging to the hair.

opbutterfly
December 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM
The only reason I don't wear my hair down often is that it's quite fluffy and catches the wind way too easily. Even a ponytail won't keep it out of my face in a breeze. I used to be really paranoid whenever I wore it down indoors about always pushing it behind my shoulders every 5 seconds, but one day I stopped worrying about it and just let it fall, and I found that I could still function perfectly well with it in front of my face as well.

So, I reckon that if you leave it down a few days to get used to it, you'll find that you'll just begin to enjoy your hair :) Of course, the exceptions have already been stated, when it's liable to fall into a dangerous situation...

JCFantasy23
December 30th, 2009, 11:13 PM
It's a general rule most people follow but really it just depends on the person's hair. Also depends on what you're doing with your hair down...and how you're wearing it up. If you're sitting at an office chair you want the hair tucked over your shoulder or put up, as it does keep doing damage and little "trims" over time (I've learned this the hard way) Also as it grows longer can be annoying with seatbelts and such. Wearing it up can be protective but there are ways to harm your hair wearing it up too. You just have to find what works for you - which is funner than it sounds! :) - as your hair continues to grow.

Coriander
December 30th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I'm finding that I need to wear mine up more often than not. I get tons of breakage when I wear it down or in a braid.

Captain Nikki
December 31st, 2009, 01:04 AM
My hair is very fine & prone to breakage. If i'm inside at home, my hair is down. Otherwise it's up. The wind tangles my hair instantly & i can't stand it blowing in my face. Since joining LHC & putting my hair up much more often I have had hardly any split ends. When my hair was APL i sometimes just put it in a ponytail when i was outside, but usually just had it lose & i always had millions of split ends.

curlylocks85
December 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Depending on the situation, I do not see why you could not wear your down. I have started to wear my hair up more often because I think about it less when it is up. Also, I am experimenting with different styles because I think k it is fun.

As far as your condition, I do not have an answer for that I would ask your doctor about that.

Jordan S.
December 31st, 2009, 06:11 PM
During the day it's fine to wear it out, if it's humid or raining, put it in a bun, and always pull it back when you sleep.

Curlsgirl
January 1st, 2010, 09:09 PM
I used to wear my hair up a lot and in the summer I still do braids a lot because of the heat and humidity. BUT in the winter and as for any other updos, I am MUCH more comfortable with my hair down. I get scalp headaches a LOT it seems with almost every style I have tried except braids worn down, not pinned up. They seem to be getting worse as my hair gets longer. I won't cut though, just may stay at waistiss so I don't get it caught in everything like I am pretty much now. It's okay though. I want to enjoy it anyway and I like it down much better on me.

ravenreed
January 1st, 2010, 10:37 PM
I got to waist wearing my hair down all the time AND coloring it... It would probably have grown faster if I didn't trim as much because of splits, but even now, near tailbone, it is still down at least 50% of the time. If I had to wear my hair up 100% of the time, I would just cut it off. The whole fun of having long hair, for me, is getting to wear it down.

I wear it up now if I think it will get snagged or in the way of what I am doing, and I try to braid it at night to reduce tangles, but I don't obsess about it being up all the time. I also pay more attention to things like the evil seat belt retractor that desires nothing more in the world than to suck up my hair.

cardamom
March 1st, 2010, 01:27 AM
my mom who had 48 in always kept her hair in braids except when it was damp.she says it would prevent damage to the tips.
i am too lazy to braid.my comrade is the jaw clip.:)

EqLady
March 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
I wear my hair up all the time. It is just easier. I do keep asking myself--why have long hair if I'm always going to wear it up? So I'll wear it down--and remember why. It is pretty, but constantly catching on everything. I sit on it, it tangles, I'm sure it isn't doing my ends any good either. So up it goes again and only comes down for special occassions.

(I hadn't thought about length in a long time. Looked in the mirror yesterday and realized I was beyond classic to about mid thigh.)

TXbarbie
March 2nd, 2010, 11:58 PM
Lately I have been wearing my hair up when I'm going to class. It's unusually cold and windy here, and my hair gets very tangled. But 90% of the time I keep my hair down and while I have a lot of damage due to highlights, I haven't noticed any excessive damage due to keeping it down.

Of course my hair isn't long enough that it's getting caught on things, etc. At that point, I'll probably have to wear it up more :)

Phalaenopsis
March 3rd, 2010, 12:44 AM
I start to feel the necessity to put it up. I'm at waist and my hair is suffering from wearing it loose all the time. Maybe it's because I have fine hairs. They can't take anything.

JamieLeigh
March 3rd, 2010, 08:58 AM
In my opinion, it all depends on your hair goals and your lifestyle.

My lifestyle is busy, having five kids age 8 and under, and there are many opportunities for my hair at this length to be in the way and get trapped in/under/around things. So I wear it up to be safe. Honestly, it just gets in the way of the things I need to do during my day. But I enjoy wearing it down in the evenings.

If you're going to be a frequent trimmer (frequent is maybe every 2 months), you might not mind it being down a lot - my point being that if you are not going to be treasuring and keeping the ends that you have, you're not going to be as worried about damaging the longest bits.

If you're intending to grow and baby your ends with no or not as much trimming as above, then you might want to consider wearing it up. I think it saves you from more damage in the long run.

As for tension alopecia, a good solution would be to find styles that don't pull or that are more balanced in the center of your head...pretty much everything on this site is trial and error, you just have to find what works for your specific needs. Good luck! :flower:

SlightlySoprano
March 18th, 2010, 07:13 AM
For those of you who have worn your hair down often, at what point did it get really difficult to wear it down? BSL? Waist? Midback?

freckles
March 18th, 2010, 07:18 AM
For those of you who have worn your hair down often, at what point did it get really difficult to wear it down? BSL? Waist? Midback?
I used to wear my hair down all the time. Recently I've been wearing it up a lot because I'm finding it more convenient, but it's still not 'difficult' to wear down and I sometimes choose to. I'm sure I could all the time if I wished (and if I were less scared of damage). My hair is about 2 inches from waist.

Dimitri'sMom
March 18th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I am a little past shoulder length and have noticed a great improvement in my hair health lately, whether because of the protective updos or the CWC regimen, I don't know. I WISH I could wear my hair up all of the time, but the double french braid with a hairstick I was doing last week just takes too long; my son can cruise now so the amount of time I can take my eyes off him has decreased dramatically...I've been using these Goody chignon clips ("erin" clips?) to twist my hair up but sections around my face slip out and my son grabs them. I guess it just depends on the day to day damage your hair faces. If you don't have a baby, wear your hair down with pleasure!

CaityBear
March 18th, 2010, 09:37 AM
My hair is just a bit longer than TB length right now and I *sometimes* wear it down. I mainly wear it up because my hair is very fine and gets tangled easily and with it this length, it gets in my way. I bent down and my hair blinds me, haha.

But I don't really NEED to wear it up every day, it's just more of a choice.

TheaLee
September 26th, 2016, 12:51 AM
The vibe I'm getting from all these great answers is: go with your gut. If you feel the need to put it up, put it up. I was also worrying about this but the answers here have reassured me. 95% of the fun of long hair is when you let it down and it's all soft and swishy.

We weren't born with our hair up, and while of course it's good to minimize damage, I think our hair can probably handle more than most LHCer's would dream of throwing at it, lol. I baby my hair so much I could probably stand to be less careful and it'd be all right.

Idreamlong
September 26th, 2016, 01:40 AM
I wear my hair down a lot. I tend to tie it back Mon-Fri unless, like tonight I'm doing something and then wear it down at the weekends. That's only because I work outside so having it down would be a bit of w nightmare. When I worked in an office I always wore it down!

I personally don't see the point in having long hair or taking the effort to grow it long if you're only going to ever wear it up?! Who sees it apart from yourself every once in a blue moon?! But that's just my personal opinion. My husband's sister has the most beautiful hair (naturally, doesn't have to style or do anything to it, so annoying) it flows, thickly and shiny down her waist like a princess, all glossy and swishy. Yet, in the past couple of years she has just started to bung it up in a ratty, messy old up do every day because 'she can't be bothered' even for special occasions, even her mum commented that she never sees it looking nice or down anymore and I feel like saying, well if it's that troublesome why keep it at waist? Why not chop to APL and be done with it. It's not like she or anyone else ever sees it anyway.

Yeh, just my opinion :p

Llama
September 26th, 2016, 01:49 AM
I wear my hair down a lot. I tend to tie it back Mon-Fri unless, like tonight I'm doing something and then wear it down at the weekends. That's only because I work outside so having it down would be a bit of w nightmare. When I worked in an office I always wore it down!

I personally don't see the point in having long hair or taking the effort to grow it long if you're only going to ever wear it up?! Who sees it apart from yourself every once in a blue moon?! But that's just my personal opinion. My husband's sister has the most beautiful hair (naturally, doesn't have to style or do anything to it, so annoying) it flows, thickly and shiny down her waist like a princess, all glossy and swishy. Yet, in the past couple of years she has just started to bung it up in a ratty, messy old up do every day because 'she can't be bothered' even for special occasions, even her mum commented that she never sees it looking nice or down anymore and I feel like saying, well if it's that troublesome why keep it at waist? Why not chop to APL and be done with it. It's not like she or anyone else ever sees it anyway.

Maybe she likes how it looks in that particular updo.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 26th, 2016, 01:53 AM
Maybe the length she has gives her more options of styles to do - even if she just does the one favourite style. At her length she can wear it endless ways, not so much at APL.

It's like my sister said to me, asking me why I don't chop my hair to shoulder length because that's "still long". But she had no reply when I asked how many different kinds of buns I would be able to do with shoulder length hair....

Arete
September 26th, 2016, 02:57 AM
I mostly wear my hair in braids (not tight). They are a good compromise when updos aren't a possibility, but you still want to minimize breakage and tangles. However, there will be more mechanical damage than an updo. I had no effect on my growth until going past tailbone. I'm at a slight false terminal (still growing, but oh so very slowly), and I know if I wore my hair up more often I would probably have more appreciable growth, but I love my braids. I currently wear my hair up 1-5 days a week.Another option is to use a paranda. This will help protect the ends better while still being braided.

MidnightMoon
September 26th, 2016, 04:09 AM
While I prefer my hair down because of how it frames my face, my spider-web-fine hair definitely needs to be up on a daily basis. It is veeeery delicate and tangles like crazy. I hate the feeling of coming back home on the days when I do wear it down and combing through all the tangles.
I don't ncessarily have my hair long for other people to see it, too. There is something I like about knowing how long it is and having it contained in an updo. I also like walking around the city and noticing how everyone has shoulder length, bleached, "regular" hair and I sort of have this special hair "from yore". I get some cool looking buns too, with long hair. Im not even sure I can entirely explain the feeling... I guess it just fits my personality, how I feel like there is a part of my which is unexposed, and few will ever see it, a part which is hidden from the ever changing, contemporary, noisy world :).

sarahthegemini
September 26th, 2016, 04:17 AM

Not everybody grows their hair just to show it off, and not everybody grows their hair to wear it down. There are tons more styling options with waist length hair than there are APL. Just saying...

Flipgirl24
September 26th, 2016, 06:45 AM
I was wondering the same thing in another thread. I thought putting your hair up often causes breakage and you get little strands sticking up. Plus, the stress of hair being pulled. I do get breakage when I weary hair up. I don't wear tight ponytails and will put my hair in a jaw-like clip if I haven't stepped on it first! But your hair and my hair aren't as long as many of the LHC members.

MidnightMoon
September 26th, 2016, 08:18 AM
I was wondering the same thing in another thread. I thought putting your hair up often causes breakage and you get little strands sticking up. Plus, the stress of hair being pulled. I do get breakage when I weary hair up. I don't wear tight ponytails and will put my hair in a jaw-like clip if I haven't stepped on it first! But your hair and my hair aren't as long as many of the LHC members.

I'm not sure what I mean by updo is the same thing you do. I'm not thinking of messy buns, ponytails, etc., but protective styles, like the cinnamon bun, LWB, and the like. I don't get any hairs sticking out except for the tiny short hairs around my temples that never grow more than a couple inches and are noticeable depending on how I part. A complex hairstyle which involves lots of braiding, teasing hair, twisting, pulling, etc. might be more damaging, but that's not what we do on a regular basis. Most buns people do around here and consider protective are simple ones, where you only twist and/or braid your hair, or sort of wrap it, and use a hairstick, fork, or clip of some sort to hold. Amish pins and similar are used too. Hair stays in it's place, no rubbing, and no pulling when done correctly :)

Entangled
September 26th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Wearing hair up can cause breakage. It can especially cause breakage if you're talking about ponytail based updos, which focus much of the tension and friction around one band. However, I think a lot of this concept comes from the shorter normal length in the mainstream beauty industry. Updos that are too tight or use a lot of bobby pins can be damaging, especially since updo for many people means a formal updo, with hairspray and heat styling. Conversely, the other way of putting hair up (mainstream) often involves ponytail holders with metal fasteners and the rough handling. The longer hair gets, the less necessary it is to make updos super tight or to use many bobby pins to make them stay up.

A single stick bun does cause manipulation, but it's the only manipulation my hair will get all day. If I wear it down, it will get trapped between my backpack and back, the chairback and my back, purse straps, and any random thing my hair comes in contact with. Not to mention, it's constantly experiencing friction between hairs and against my back. I can reduce a lot of friction by putting it up. You can reduce a lot of breakage by changing up your style. Repetitive use of any one hairstyle can and will cause damage. Since hair will get wear and tear no matter what, it's a question of which is the worst evil.

It's not necessary to put long hair up every day, but for many here it's useful.

JaneHathaway
September 26th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Newbie here, growing out a pixie and currently a smidge past shoulder length, so I can't speak to whether wearing hair up prevents damage. I can, though, speak to what a blast I'm having learning to use my one spiral stick (more on order!) and my one fork. My LWB is reasonably presentable.

When I had last had longish hair (eons ago) the idea of routinely - or even occasionally- wearing it up never crossed my mind. I'm so glad to have found TLHC. I wear my hair up daily. I figure learning how to put my hair up at my current length will put me in good stead to both prevent damage and give me options when I reach longer lengths. (Hurry, APL!)

To me, part of the enjoyment of having longer hair is learning to put it up with hair toys (which, frankly, I didn't even know existed until I found this site).

Decoy24601
September 26th, 2016, 01:33 PM
I love wearing my hair up. There are so many different buns to try! My current favorite is the disc bun, it looks so complicated and elegant, but it's pretty easy to do. For me, it's just as much fun as having my hair down. To be honest, I get a lot less attention about my hair when it's up, as long as I'm not trying anything super complicated/pretty. Around here people seem to really admire very long hair and that combined with my hair's color and thickness usually gets me comments about my hair when I wear it down. I'd rather not get that attention and just go about my business when I'm out and about, so putting my hair up/containing it helps with that, while also looking elegant and minimizing damage.

I do notice a big improvement in the condition of my hair and a reduction in the amount of split ends/breakage I get since wearing my hair up. The only updo I've noticed giving me damage is anything twisted. My hair doesn't like being twisted and it will break any white dots or weak points in my hair.

Andthetalltrees
September 26th, 2016, 03:46 PM
When I first 'accidentally' grew my hair out to tailbone-classic I NEVER wore it up and I curled it a lot. I hardly if ever found split ends and the girl at the salon remarked how nice it was. The last time I grew it to waist+ I wore it in braids and/or buns a lot of the time and I ended up with more damage that way. I found way more splits and broken strands. You just kind of have to know what your hair and what you like the most. I also hate my hair being up so this time around I'm just putting it up when I feel like and not worry the rest of the time

teal
September 26th, 2016, 03:56 PM
With my type of hair, which floats around and grabs stuff, like the light switch cover when I'm walking by it, yes - I have to wear it up practically all the time. Bummer.

Yup, this is my hair too, in anything other than dead still air (which happens exactly never). I just wear it up. :lol:

Flipgirl24
September 26th, 2016, 05:34 PM
I'm not sure what I mean by updo is the same thing you do. I'm not thinking of messy buns, ponytails, etc., but protective styles, like the cinnamon bun, LWB, and the like. I don't get any hairs sticking out except for the tiny short hairs around my temples that never grow more than a couple inches and are noticeable depending on how I part. A complex hairstyle which involves lots of braiding, teasing hair, twisting, pulling, etc. might be more damaging, but that's not what we do on a regular basis. Most buns people do around here and consider protective are simple ones, where you only twist and/or braid your hair, or sort of wrap it, and use a hairstick, fork, or clip of some sort to hold. Amish pins and similar are used too. Hair stays in it's place, no rubbing, and no pulling when done correctly :)

I see what you are saying about the mainstream vs. Outside the box updos. I don't understand how longer (and thus, heavier) hair would need less 'restraints' than shorter hair. I know when my hair is longer it takes more to hold it up. I guess it is in the how you put it up rather than how much you put up.

This is all very interesting.

lulikrueger
September 27th, 2016, 03:09 PM
My hair seems to have less breakage when worn down, to be honest. If I choose to wear it up often, I'll stick with low-manipulation styles.

littlestarface
September 27th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I see what you are saying about the mainstream vs. Outside the box updos. I don't understand how longer (and thus, heavier) hair would need less 'restraints' than shorter hair. I know when my hair is longer it takes more to hold it up. I guess it is in the how you put it up rather than how much you put up.

This is all very interesting.

I can hold my hair up in a bun with 1 stick or 2 spin pins, but short hair I see people using 50thousand bobby pins and so many clips lol

Goatcraft
September 27th, 2016, 07:41 PM
I think it's fine at shorter lenghts! It's when it gets to about waist length that you wanna start putting it up.

HairyCarrie
September 27th, 2016, 08:25 PM
All summer I wore it up when out, but down when home. Kind of how the Victorians probably did it. But now that it's fall, I'm trying it down when out and about as I like the feeling on my neck and ears. By winter I expect my longer hair to be like a scarf or hat to keep those areas warm. I find I always take some kind of hair toy or band in my purse or pocket so I can pull it back if it gets annoying. And I always seem to pull it back before eating, whether at a restaurant or at home. Does it sound like I like to play with my hair? I do! hahaha.

Groovy Granny
September 27th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Nope: I wear mine in a low loose ponytail for bed, and it is worn down in cooler weather to enjoy the length in half ups or barrettes.
It is up all Summer in the heat....in buns, ponytails, twists,and topsy tails.
My hair is waist+ fine silver, and I have never had an issue with splits or damage.
I do make an effort to protect in from wind, chores, getting caught etc..

yahirwaO.o
September 27th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Short answer... NO!

Longer than waist is very much needed or at least being braided. But of you have shorter, dislike the way up hair looks or its too heavy for you, then down, braids, half ups or low ponies are mighty fine!

Im a daily down person and my hair looks just fine. If you dye or heat style,there is a lot of contant rubbing againt your strands and or want to keep ends super healthy you might want to consider up styles.

akuamoonmaui
October 10th, 2016, 06:26 PM
I agree at your length it shouldn't be an issue. I didn't start wearing my hair up consistently until my hair was nearing my waist. At that point I wore my hair up probably 90% of the time.

Now that my hair is as long as it is there is danger when wearing it down - but not the danger you're talking about. I've buckled it in my seat belt, I've tucked it into my pants, yesterday I sat on it, last week it was between me and the back of my chair, I sneezed and pulled it, I stepped on it cleaning (I'm very limber), my husband has sat on it, my cat gets a sparkle in her eye when she sees a tendril of it fall over my shoulder.

I've also decided that since I accidentally surpassed my goal length (I'm way overdue for a trim), I want to trim every other month and wear my hair down far more often. I want to enjoy my hair, my hair looks good down and trimming every other month will help keep my hair in better shape so I can wear it down more often.

This.

LOL! Yes, I've caught mine in the car door. Painfully pulled it when it got caught in a chair back. I have a great fear of it getting caught in the laminator at work.

I keep mine up because I get horrible "neck dreads" and keeping it up protects it. I often lightly oil it, and keeping it up is the best way to do that.

At home I keep it up because it ends up in the dish water (disgusting) or falling into your face when you're cleaning (not efficient).

When I was growing it out, keeping it up helped me not abuse the heck out of it with heat appliances or product.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 10th, 2016, 10:01 PM
I think it totally depends on your hair type. Some hair can handle being down.
I for one, get lots and lots of tangles at night, and my hair gets in my mouth during the day.
Find food in my hair from time to time... so up all day is best for me. But everyone is different, I think.

RottenMango
May 2nd, 2019, 12:47 AM
No, I think it’s good to mix it up. I do up four days a week and down three days a week.

Dark40
May 2nd, 2019, 11:18 AM
I agree with most people here that you don't have to wear your hair up everyday. Especially, at your length. With my hair type and length I wear my hair down the majority of the time, and at night is when I where it up for sleep. You can still grow to surprisingly extreme lengths even if you wear it down.

bparnell75
May 2nd, 2019, 11:21 AM
If I tried to wear my hair down it would 1. be very annoying as hair tickles my face. 2. I would have to consider it in every thing I do from cooking to driving. Prefer to think about other things 3. Keep pushing it away from my face. 4. Make sure it does not get into mechanical things like seat belts, office chairs, vacuum cleaner parts, keyboards etc or food. I can think of other things too like toilets, ban saws sanders. Sorry it is just not for me. I do occasionally wear a half up when drying until I can use a wood toy.

BinaBaby
May 2nd, 2019, 11:27 AM
Honestly, I dont really see the point of having long hair if I wear it up all the time :rolling:
I do not have the length of some of the ladies in here though, so I may just be the wrong person to ask :) I keep it up these days because it is so damaged for bleaching, but when its not I like having it down alot.

AmaryllisRed
May 2nd, 2019, 05:45 PM
I love having long hair and I love wearing it up most of the time. If I didn't, I wouldn't have long hair. As bparnell says, it would constantly be getting in the way of things.

Ylva
May 3rd, 2019, 01:50 PM
I have posted this pic a few times already in threads with similar topics, but I find it handy as everyone can come to their own conclusions by looking at it. This is my never-worn-up hair from the past, some kind of butt length (I'm leaning forward in the pic):

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32990&d=1534022862

It also had moderate chemical damage at that time. I wore it in a braid pretty much whenever I left the house, although in that photo it's loose outside the house. In the house, I'd wear it in a braid, or loose - sometimes a ponytail, but those I don't do anymore except temporarily for face washes etc. using big, soft scrunchies.

My opinion is that it depends on one's hair and goals. If you aim for extreme lengths like classic+ or your true terminal, it's probably for the best to wear your hair up MOST of the time. For me and my goals (TBL-classic), I know my hair doesn't need to be worn up, ever, a braid suffices just fine, but I choose to wear it up every once in a while anyway, for the sake of both style and protection.