PDA

View Full Version : Finally Embracing My Curl with a New Cut!!

dolcevita
December 30th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Before (natural wave): After (enhanced natural wave):
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2548/4228737786_5c536cec0b.jpg

My ends were really "scraggly" and worn and I needed a trim. I was sick of going to salons that would cut my hair in a style that needed a blow fryer and a flat iron to achieve a nice look. For over a year, I was cutting it blunt across, which didn't suit my fine, thin, waves.

I noticed that a salon around the corner from me specializes in curly hair and is well known for it. I walked in with my natural wave (hair like in the first picture) and walked out with curls and bounce without a curler or blowdryer!! My stylist gave me a consultation first, where she looked at my hair and wave. She brought over another stylist to show her how delicate my hair is. She said it was the most delicate hair she's ever touched. *sigh*... no wonder why I end up with so many splits and a lot of breakage even though I baby it!!!

I am still getting used to it, but I enjoy the extra volume. With my previous cut, my ends were blunt and mixed with my fine, thin, delicate frizzy waves I ended up with a flat look every day. I don't see the point in growing my hair long and every day just focusing on the length, waiting for that "special day" when it's long enough for my liking... Life is too short. I am still on the path to long hair, but I can now look good along the way! She barely took off length, and added some longer layers for movement. The curls shrink up my length a lot, which is deceiving!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4227942583_1ab7d5a96b_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2544/4227941537_861fd109fe_m.jpg

The website for the salon is here: www.frizzoff.com (http://www.frizzoff.com).
They sell their own products and are known on a lot of curly haired forums. I bought their Curl Keeper Gel, Shampoo, and Slip Detangler (has conditioner built in). I was told to avoid conditioner because that was weighing down my curls. My hair is soft, bouncy, and healthy-looking.. I can't wait to see how I enjoy embracing my curls from now on instead of pulling them straight!:cheese::cheese::cheese:

DMARTINEZ
December 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Looks great! I like it! :)

Deb

redneckprincess
December 30th, 2009, 09:55 AM
WOW!! Looks fabulous

camirra555
December 30th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Your hair definitely looks more bouncy and full! Nice

marikamt
December 30th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Wow!!! What a difference! I wish I could go to them- I wonder what they could do with my wave......

ETA- the what a difference was not because it looked bad before, just because it is such a change in texture... your curls look excellent!

marikamt
December 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I went and looked at the website... can I ask what products you got and what you had to do to achieve that curl?

ETA- see what happens when i get excited? My brain flies out the window... just reread and saw you posted what you bought :doh: okay, so only the second question... how hard was it to do to get that look?

mugglemomof3
December 30th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Great cut - and great thread! Thanks for sharing.

spidermom
December 30th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Your new look is so pretty; I like it a lot.

pepperminttea
December 30th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Looks amazing!

Merkaba
December 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I really like the curls!

If you want curly hair don't forget to give it lots of moisture- but since it's fine not something that will weigh it down. Maybe a light almond oiling when damp...looks really nice now though :)

Latin Tea
December 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Very pretty! I wish my hair would wave like that. Enjoy your hair!

Leneveu
December 30th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Oooh, pretty!

klcqtee
December 30th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Wow, it looks so much better and prettier! It's gorgeous.

SimplyViki
December 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Wow, beautiful! I don't think I ever would have guessed such stunning curls were hiding in those waves.

Mutinous
December 30th, 2009, 02:09 PM
That's amazing! Can I ask how they achieved such amazing curls without any heat? Did they scrunch your hair with some product? I would love to be able to achieve something similar.

Babyfine
December 30th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Wow, DolceVita- I like it!!
Look how much it pumped up your curl-from wavy to curly!!

dolcevita
December 30th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I went and looked at the website... can I ask what products you got and what you had to do to achieve that curl?

ETA- see what happens when i get excited? My brain flies out the window... just reread and saw you posted what you bought :doh: okay, so only the second question... how hard was it to do to get that look?

That's amazing! Can I ask how they achieved such amazing curls without any heat? Did they scrunch your hair with some product? I would love to be able to achieve something similar.

Marikamt and Mutinous: They blowdryed upside down with a diffuser on low heat and then finished with a blast of cold in order to speed up the drying process, but the heat was unnecessary for the product to work. I spoke with several of the ladies there and they all said that the results are the same if you blow dry with a diffuser on low or air dry. The Curl Keeper requires a lot of scrunching and squeezing when the hair is dripping wet, and this is what creates the curl formation. Apparently, what you have to do is put the Curl Keeper in your hair in generous amounts and dry it (blow dry or air dry, whichever you have more time for - at a salon they don't want to wait for it to air dry!) and when it's dry it gets crunchy!!!

BUT don't worry about the crunchy-ness! This is good! I was worried at first but then you work with the curls and waves, scrunching more and playing with it and it becomes soft! When drying, they used roller clamps/clips to hold up some root sections at the crown for extra volume. CHS sells them too for $12 but they look very similar to the ones at Sally's for less than $4 so I will try the Sally's ones first.

It was sooo easy!! And it's 4:30pm and my curls have lasted since 9am!! That's a full day! And I've been touching and playing with them all day which is bad to do with fine wavy hair :P

dolcevita
December 30th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I really like the curls!

If you want curly hair don't forget to give it lots of moisture- but since it's fine not something that will weigh it down. Maybe a light almond oiling when damp...looks really nice now though :)

Thank-you for the advice!! I will try some almond oil! I have jojoba, rose hip seed, and well tons others but no almond yet! I would love to oil it a bit once a week to keep the moisture in! :)

dolcevita
December 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I want to thank everyone for the compliments!! It feels really good to be one of those people on LHC who post their nice hair pictures! That was rarely me with my previous style and scraggly, lanky ends. I am so much more confident and proud of my curls that were hiding underneath!!! :magic:

EDIT: I suppose I have to change my signature now... (that was my best hair day ever in that sig pic - well time for a new, curlier me!)

manderly
December 30th, 2009, 02:41 PM
What a gorgeous difference!!

I've been tempted to get a salon cut specifically for curls ever since I started embracing them :)

girlcat36
December 30th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Beautiful curls you were hiding there!

I am interested in your routine and products too. My curly hair is fine, and I'm always on the search for products that don't weigh my hair down.

dolcevita
December 30th, 2009, 02:52 PM
What a gorgeous difference!!

I've been tempted to get a salon cut specifically for curls ever since I started embracing them :)

Thank-you so much!! :)

I highly highly HIGHLY recommend it!! I mean, my hair was the straightest out of everyone there (with my damaged waves), staff included, when I walked in with the "before" picture. I was fighting waves for years with products promising to relax my hair. After investing in many of the Phyto products and other pricey ones from Sephora, I knew it was time for someone who knew what to do with my hair!

I was so impressed that they analyzed the waves first before cutting. Previous salon cuts chop it all into a trendy style that requires blowdrying and straightening to achieve - something my extremely delicate hair is not interested in!! For years this was my hair (and that's probably why it's so damaged now!!):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2659/4228789553_ac37d26341_m.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2520/4229562564_60653a58bf_m.jpg

It was SO refreshing to see someone scrunching curls, being delicate with my hair, and focusing on what I have, instead of styling into what I don't. I can't believe it took me this many years to find the right salon, but I'm glad I did and I suggest you search one out too!:D

Pixna
December 30th, 2009, 03:14 PM
WOW!!! How beautiful!!! Your hair turned out great, and the style REALLY suits your face and features. I'm so happy for you!!!

Cake
December 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Your hair is so beautiful now :eek:

How did they cut your hair to embrance the curls?

marikamt
December 30th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I want to thank everyone for the compliments!! It feels really good to be one of those people on LHC who post their nice hair pictures! That was rarely me with my previous style and scraggly, lanky ends. I am so much more confident and proud of my curls that were hiding underneath!!! :magic:

EDIT: I suppose I have to change my signature now... (that was my best hair day ever in that sig pic - well time for a new, curlier me!)

Is 2c your new hairtype or your previous?????

marikamt
December 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Honestly, It makes me want to go to Canada to have my hair done...... :D

manderly
December 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
So can you tell me.....how does this cut differ? Does it look weird when straightened? I know curls can hide all sort of crazy cuts.....I can always tell when a curly straightens her hair, the ends always look crazy to me.

Just curious how the did it. Could you never wear your hair straight? Did they thin it out massively at the ends? Is it mullet-ish when wet/straight? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

dolcevita
December 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Previous... that was the closest I could find, but I never got around to an official "Help Me Hairtype Myself" thread... maybe I should do that properly!

I suppose my "new" hair fits 2c better! My hair is very flexible. I can get it straight-ish or very curly like today just with the products I use. That's one benefit of my hair type (as much as I used to like complaining about that!). But the CHS products really hold! My hair is still curly like it was in the morning and it's evening now :D

dolcevita
December 30th, 2009, 04:26 PM
So can you tell me.....how does this cut differ? Does it look weird when straightened? I know curls can hide all sort of crazy cuts.....I can always tell when a curly straightens her hair, the ends always look crazy to me.

Just curious how the did it. Could you never wear your hair straight? Did they thin it out massively at the ends? Is it mullet-ish when wet/straight? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Since it was cut this morning, I haven't wet it or straightened it yet to see the effect of it when it's not curly. When she was cutting it, it didn't look like a specific curly hair style of cutting. If you go here: http://frizzoff.com/MyTechniques.aspx it lists the techniques that the salon owner (and product creator) as well as his stylists use. Since my hair is small and fine, I didn't need to thin it out with his famous "tunnel cutting" technique. I'm not sure how that would look straight, but that's not what I had done.

She pulled sections straight between her fingers and cut it on an angle... similar to other stylists. I think it was the advice and styling techniques as well as acceptance of the curl while cutting those layers that produced such amazing results... or else it's :magic:!

Cake
December 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Hahaha manderly, that's also the most interesting part to me, more than the styling products. :D

I guess she's got a deva cut, which is cutting the hair dry and each wave or curl indivudually.

dolcevita let us know, please.

dolcevita
December 30th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Honestly, It makes me want to go to Canada to have my hair done...... :D

This place is RIGHT around the corner from me! I pass it every day when I go to school. So close I could walk if I wanted to! The owner drives a MINI Cooper and so do I so I connect with fellow MINI drivers that I meet and I noticed his outfront. I was thinking to myself a couple days ago: ok, if my Mum insists that I get something done with my hair, let's go to the guy with the MINI! It wasn't until I searched the salon that I realized it was a curly hair specialty place! I thought it was a wonderful sign and I'm glad I noticed it!

There are two other curly hair salons in Toronto other than this... One of them is Curl Ambassadors, which I've heard lots about but this was closer and the owner drives a MINI ;)

Cake
December 30th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Oops, dolcevita you post first ;)

RocketDog
December 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM
The stylist did a wonderful job - your hair looks beautiful, so bouncy and full! I'm glad you had a good experience at the salon, it's so awesome to find someone who really understands how to cut and style wavy/curly hair to its best advantage!

dolcevita
December 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Oops, dolcevita you post first ;)

Haha that's ok! She cut my hair wet but first she analyzed it dry... pulling the waves gently to see the springiness of the strands. Here is the routine:

Washed twice with CHS Treatment Shampoo (no conditioner).
Gently towel dried.
Applied CHS Slip Detangler which did a fantastic job detangling (as my Phyto one does too but the CHS conditions as well lightly so as to not weigh down the hair).
Cut.
Wet so it was dripping then applied CHS Curl Keeper (must be applied to very wet hair).
Squeezed and scrunched the Curl Keeper (made squishy sounds!!).
Played with the curls to separate and twist a couple sections... this took less than a minute.
Pinned up the roots with CHS Roller Jaw Clamps to create volume at the crown (my sides and crown are realllllly thin, so thin she asked if I had a medical reason behind the thinness - which made me sad to say I don't!).
Put me under a dryer for 2-3 minutes to dry it a bit (this would simulate air drying).
Then the Curl Keeper hardened my curls and made it crunchy.
She took out the Roller Jaw Clamps, fluffed it around and diffused for a bit to work with it. This step is optional and can be used without heat (same with the other). With the diffuser on low, you get movement, which is what you need to give the crunchy curls to make them soft.

Then that was it!! I walked out looking like a movie star and my hair stayed allllll day. This may not seem like a huge thing to you, but my hair is the queen of shifting back into the "before" picture... getting flat but not straight, piecey (in a bad way) and really dull looking BUT NOT ANYMORE WOOHOO.

I bought the three products she used (shampoo, detangler and curl keeper). I will buy the roller jaw clamps from Sally's since those $4 multicoloured ones look the same-ish (here: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Roller-Clamps/SBS-292632,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair14-02)

Oh and Manderly: I will post pictures of it straight when it's washed next!! Keep an eye on this thread :D

30isthenewblack
December 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I love it! I'm glad you're pleased with the haircut :smile:

manderly
December 30th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Oh and Manderly: I will post pictures of it straight when it's washed next!! Keep an eye on this thread :D

Excellent.........

Can you explain the clipping at the roots? I've read about it and seen photos of it, and I tried it myself, but I don't think I've really got the technique down.

Gabriel
December 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM
dolcevita what a great new cut! Your curls look fabulous!

marikamt
December 31st, 2009, 08:42 AM
Excellent.........

Can you explain the clipping at the roots? I've read about it and seen photos of it, and I tried it myself, but I don't think I've really got the technique down.

me too! I was trying to figure out what was meant by that.....

Coriander
December 31st, 2009, 10:47 AM
I love your curls. The cut looks great!

GlassEyes
December 31st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Oh, Manderly, I've never done it before (I haven't yet decided if I'm secure enough in my masculinity to do it yet--yes, hairsticks, hair forks, but jaw clips? XD), but Crystal tips has pictures in her fotki of it, so you could ask her if dolce doesn't post soon.

It looks great--I wish I could get a curly cut done--my current layers are only okay.

dolcevita
December 31st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Oh, Manderly, I've never done it before (I haven't yet decided if I'm secure enough in my masculinity to do it yet--yes, hairsticks, hair forks, but jaw clips? XD), but Crystal tips has pictures in her fotki of it, so you could ask her if dolce doesn't post soon.

It looks great--I wish I could get a curly cut done--my current layers are only okay.

To get volume at the roots with the Roller Jaw Clips, my stylist rolled the sections on top of each other like with pin curls and once it created a roll at the crown, she clipped it in place. She rolled upwards to create lift at the roots :)

curlylocks85
December 31st, 2009, 12:19 PM
Your curls look great!

klcqtee
December 31st, 2009, 12:49 PM
Did you find the curl keeper is worth the price? I checked at the "official website" and it was kind of pricey for me. Maybe I can find it else where though...

Amara
December 31st, 2009, 01:38 PM
That is such a beautiful cut - it suits your hair and face to a T.

dolcevita
December 31st, 2009, 02:04 PM
Did you find the curl keeper is worth the price? I checked at the "official website" and it was kind of pricey for me. Maybe I can find it else where though...

Well it's day 2 and I woke up after sleeping on a silk pillowcase (but I roll around like crazy). My curls were still intact with a bit of frizz at the crown. I dampened my hands with water, scrunched, and they look like yesterday's!

Klcqtee: It's probably based on your hair type on how well it will work. The Curl Keeper is on other websites (for the same price) and is rated really well so give it a try. I think that's what really worked because it's day 2 and those waves from the before picture are no where to be found and it's just bouncy curls! I'm really excited! :D

dolcevita
December 31st, 2009, 02:06 PM
That is such a beautiful cut - it suits your hair and face to a T.

Thanks so much, Amara!

Oh and happy new year to every one!! :cheese:

Tressie
December 31st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Very nice! I love your curls! (o:

motormuffin
December 31st, 2009, 05:58 PM
How were you caring for your hair before this?

Forever_Sophie
December 31st, 2009, 06:02 PM
Lovely! Have you ever tried the product, Recoil? Might be of interest to you...

manderly
January 5th, 2010, 05:17 PM
So what's the verdict on the wet/straight look? Hopefully non-mullety :D

Tryst
January 5th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Such lovely bouncy curls. Your hair looks beautiful :)

hikari
January 5th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Those curls are *gorgeous.* I'm coming to Canada to get my hair cut too! Stylists have told me I have "movement" and "curls" and then they take a flat-iron to it...I want to know how to embrace those curls without looking like a puffball or a scarecrow.

Someone else said that the style really suits you, and I have to agree ^_^

Wicket
January 6th, 2010, 07:39 AM
wow it looks great :)