PDA

View Full Version : Sulfate free and flakey

lilish
December 30th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I was wondering if anyone has experienced flakes once they have gone sulfate free. I'm not itchy or anything, but I just have a lot of flakes, many of which can be seen as soon as I get out of the shower. I have noticed that sulfate free shampoo doesn't clean as well for me, so maybe I am using too much shampoo to compensate? I'm not sure though, has anyone had any similar experiences? Thanks.

tiggens
December 30th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I have the same problem whenever I try to go sulfate free so I've given up. Sulfates just seem to work better for my scalp. When I wash, I dilute shampoo in my hands with water and try to only concentrate the 'poo on my scalp.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 30th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I've had flakes since forever; now i switched from SLS to natural shampoo, to get rid of them.
So far, people told me my flakes have lessened, but as far as i can see they didn't disappear.

Are you a lather-addict? :D if so, no-SLS shampoos might not make you happy at first, since they don't have strong detergents that lather instantly. And yes, using too much of that shampoo might be a problem, if you cannot rinse it all away in the end.

If it doesn't lather,does not mean it's not cleaning. Hard to get used to but that's true :)

time_on_fire
December 30th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I recently went sulfate and -cone free, and yes, I've got flakes. I used to occasionally get tiny little flakes, but these are big flakes.

I was hoping that it was just because the heater is on more this winter, because my hair is loving the shampoo. I also haven't been taking my omega oils like I should be. I think I might be making excuses - I don't want it to be the shampoo!

rhubarbarin
December 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Yep. I use sulfates now, my scalp is happier (and cleaner without rough scrubbing, which causes more shedding for me).

GoddesJourney
December 30th, 2009, 11:05 AM
If I wash daily, everything is fine. If I miss a day ever, with any shampoo routine, I get flakes immediately. If I miss too many days washing, the flakes will be persistent. For example, months ago, when I was on a cone and sulphate thing, I started trying to wash every other day. I did this for a couple of months waiting for my scalp to "adjust" but it just never happened for me. Afterward, I had horrible dandruff for months that I could not get rid of even by returning to a daily wash routine. It took until I bought a very good dandruff shampoo (for my husband) and used it for one wash. My dandruff was gone. I've since switched to SLS free and cone free so that I can wash daily without worrying about it. I love to use lots of shampoo and I let it sit in my hair for a few minutes if I'm feeling particularly greasy that day. It works great. I use the Trader Joe's Spa Nourish.

By the way, the dandruff shampoo that finally did it for both my stubborn dandruff and my husband's (that he had had for years and wouldn't budge for anything!) was the Head and Shoulders dark blue bottle. It's for extreme dandruff since they use a different ingredient. It was a little pricey even at KMart, but it did the trick for me in one wash. My husband used it for about a week but it was really gone by about the third day. He now uses it maybe once a week just because he's like that. Truly, it doesn't smell good, but it works great.

lilish
December 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will try it again, but using less shampoo and just wash more frequently if it seems dirty (I normally wash my hair once every 3-4 days). If that doesn't work, maybe I'll use a sulfate once a week or every other week. Sound like a plan? The whole point of using sulfate free shampoo is to have a healthier scalp, but if it is constantly flaky or dirty it defeats the purpose right?

Thinthondiel
December 30th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I'm the opposite - I had flakes when I used SLS shampoos, but they went away when I stopped using them. I think my flakes were caused by dry scalp, though - the SLS seemed to dry out my hair and scalp.

melikai
December 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
It could be that you are having a reaction to an ingredient in the silicone-free shampoo you are using, and that it has nothing to do with the 'cones. It could also be buildup.

Stopping using 'cones had the opposite effect for my BF.

vindo
December 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experienced flakes once they have gone sulfate free. I'm not itchy or anything, but I just have a lot of flakes, many of which can be seen as soon as I get out of the shower. I have noticed that sulfate free shampoo doesn't clean as well for me, so maybe I am using too much shampoo to compensate? I'm not sure though, has anyone had any similar experiences? Thanks.

I have the same problem whenever I try to go sulfate free so I've given up. Sulfates just seem to work better for my scalp. When I wash, I dilute shampoo in my hands with water and try to only concentrate the 'poo on my scalp.

I recently went sulfate and -cone free, and yes, I've got flakes. I used to occasionally get tiny little flakes, but these are big flakes.

I was hoping that it was just because the heater is on more this winter, because my hair is loving the shampoo. I also haven't been taking my omega oils like I should be. I think I might be making excuses - I don't want it to be the shampoo!

If I wash daily, everything is fine. If I miss a day ever, with any shampoo routine, I get flakes immediately. If I miss too many days washing, the flakes will be persistent.

For most of you this probably applies:

When you use a harsh detergent, sulfates it removes way more oil from your scalp than necessary, also the shedding of skin cells (dandruff) is sped up.
Your scalp also produces more oil and gunk to make up for the moisture loss, in some cases almost uncontrollably so that the person has eczema like problems.
But if you wash regulary with a harsch shampoo all that is blown off your scalp.

Once you switch to a mild detergent though....

Your scalp will literally be like "wtf!" and it will keep up with its very flaky, gunky, gross cycle. Chances are it will look quite awful after switching to the supposedly better shampoo.
It can take forever for the scalp to adjust..2 months, 4 months, 7 months..more..- not rare. After all you have been messing with your heads pH level big time for so long.
Truth is - hair does not like to be washed, we like it. Therefore we need to find compromises.
It is definetly possible to settle for a mild detergent, less wash routine that still keeps you clean enough. But it takes time...and often people can no go from superharsh to supermild. I worked my way down to the mildest shampoo within 1 year..then it took me another half year to go from daily to weekly washes.
Gentle hair care is no joke it will test your patience. :lol:

Btw. scalp brushing and scritching needs to be done before washing to loosen up gunk...;)

Libilou
December 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I went sulfate and cone free a month ago. I've not had an issue with flakes, but I never did before. I have noticed that I use less shampoo and conditioner. Everything I've read that not all shampoos are for all people. I was fully prepared to try several different sulfate free shampoos, but I lucked out the first time. I'm very happy with the results.

teela1978
December 30th, 2009, 07:16 PM
For most of you this probably applies:

When you use a harsh detergent, sulfates it removes way more oil from your scalp than necessary, also the shedding of skin cells (dandruff) is sped up.
Your scalp also produces more oil and gunk to make up for the moisture loss, in some cases almost uncontrollably so that the person has eczema like problems.
But if you wash regulary with a harsch shampoo all that is blown off your scalp.

Once you switch to a mild detergent though....

Your scalp will literally be like "wtf!" and it will keep up with its very flaky, gunky, gross cycle. Chances are it will look quite awful after switching to the supposedly better shampoo.
It can take forever for the scalp to adjust..2 months, 4 months, 7 months..more..- not rare. After all you have been messing with your heads pH level big time for so long.
Truth is - hair does not like to be washed, we like it. Therefore we need to find compromises.
It is definetly possible to settle for a mild detergent, less wash routine that still keeps you clean enough. But it takes time...and often people can no go from superharsh to supermild. I worked my way down to the mildest shampoo within 1 year..then it took me another half year to go from daily to weekly washes.
Gentle hair care is no joke it will test your patience. :lol:

Btw. scalp brushing and scritching needs to be done before washing to loosen up gunk...;)

I think it really depends on the head. Clearly your description works for many people on these boards, but NOT everyone. I've tried non-sulfate shampoos, CO, and baking soda washes. I develop small pimples all over my scalp after 2-3 weeks of using all of them. My hair stays cleaner longer with sulfate-based shampoos, and my scalp is healthier (or at least free of those little scabby pimply things... which translates as healthier to me).

ETA: I do dilute my shampoo down quite a lot though, I doubt its really any 'harsher' than most sulfate-free cleansers used full strength. And I think that a large portion of the population uses more product than they need to.

lilish
December 30th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I think my scalp must have had a delayed reaction. At first it was fine. My hair was a little poofier, but that was it. The last few weeks though my scalp has just gone crazy. I am worried that it will just get worse and I have an unhealthy scalp and hair loss. I think I'll try another sulfate free shampoo and see if that helps.

Natalia
December 30th, 2009, 10:41 PM
There are a alot of variations in what cleaning agents sulfate free products use. I find i have the best luck with something like aubreys which is belive is a coconu and corn oil soap. Its not so much a foming agent like some others but an actual liquid soap, true soaponified fats. Not sure if that will help you any but thats my experiance. Then again if sulfates dont aggrivate your skin and make you happy why not stick to them?

pinchbeck
December 31st, 2009, 10:14 AM
When I see flakes appearing I add either tea tree oil or rosemary oil to my shampoo. My shampoo of choice is sulfate free and fragrance free products since my scalp does not like added eo's that companies use. They irritate my scalp. It is nice to add the quantity and type that I need.

Transitioning into a new routine can be trying. Going cold turkey doesn't work for everyone. Slowly weaning yourself off of sulfate based shampoo may be what works.

vindo
January 1st, 2010, 03:50 AM
I think it really depends on the head. Clearly your description works for many people on these boards, but NOT everyone. I've tried non-sulfate shampoos, CO, and baking soda washes. I develop small pimples all over my scalp after 2-3 weeks of using all of them. My hair stays cleaner longer with sulfate-based shampoos, and my scalp is healthier (or at least free of those little scabby pimply things... which translates as healthier to me).

ETA: I do dilute my shampoo down quite a lot though, I doubt its really any 'harsher' than most sulfate-free cleansers used full strength. And I think that a large portion of the population uses more product than they need to.

Based on science, theoretically it should work this way on everyone with a healthy scalp.
But due to circumstances like eczema, fungus or other scalp problems, people can experience problems like that.
Small pimples sound very much like an allergy to me, I know people that have had similar because they are allergic to etheral oils.