PDA

View Full Version : Braiding before bed

Libilou
December 30th, 2009, 07:31 AM
How many of you braid before bed? I just started doing this and I've already noticed that my roots don't get as oily the next morning. I'm not sure if it's a result of the braiding or my hair is finally acclimating to the non-sulfate shampoo.

If this keeps up, I'm going to start washing at night and every other wash (shower), I'm going to no-poo it.

spidermom
December 30th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Sometimes I braid. Sometimes I do a top of head ponytail or bun. Sometimes I throw my hair over the top of my pillow. I don't notice a change in how fast it gets oily with any of these methods.

Chamomile betty
December 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I put my hair in a braid before bed. I secure it with a scrunchi at my nape, braid and then secure the end. I used to wear my hair up in a loose pony but with it getting longer my scalp felt sore. I've gotten into such a habit of braiding at night that I don't think I'd wear it any other way.

Topaz
December 30th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I start my braid near the top of my head, braid it all the way down to the tip, and then fold it over onto the top of my head and secure it there with a hair clamp. Not very sexy, but it keeps it completely safe from my tossing and turning and it never gets in my way.

Gothic Lolita
December 30th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I do an English braid every night before bed. Otherwise my BF would probably kill me one night when he lies down on my open hair and if I don't braid I get tangles from hell. I much rather braid for 5 minute than trying to brush the mess out for 30 min. the next morning.

newbiewink
December 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I braid before bed almost all the time... but my hair usually escapes

lilish
December 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I braid then put it in a sleep cap. I haven't noticed a difference with oiliness, but I am tangle free in the morning!

marzipanthecat
December 30th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I do one long braid EVERY night, if I haven't washed my hair (I don't usually wash my hair before going to bed, but hey, sometimes I don't have the time to do it earlier!).

If I don't braid it, I end up with a big knotty mess in the morning. Apparently I am a very restless sleeper.

Ina
December 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I braid my hair every night, or I put it in a ponytail.

yellowchariot
December 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I also recently started wearing one to bed, and my hair doesn't get oily either. I've also noticed that it eliminates tangles and other issues when waking up in the morning. :thumbsup:

bte
December 30th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Every night for the last 12 years or more. It saves tangles!

emi77
December 30th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I wash at night and do an english plait/braid every night- its always damp in the morning, but it saves my hair from tangles!

I usually oil the end with coconut oil after I've plaited it too as I never have time in the morning!

Stormcast
December 30th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I find that braiding before bed keeps my hair less-oily and it looks better when I take it out in the morning. If I take ashower before bed and let my hair just go when I go to bed, in the morning it looks really stringy.

camirra555
December 30th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I do two braids every night. It's the most comfortable way to wear my hair at night

pepperedmoth
December 30th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Yep, always. Never noticed a difference in oiliness, but it certainly saves on ripping and tearing and tangles . . .

Tornerose
December 30th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I just started doing this too. (Thanks LHC).
I haven't noticed a difference in oilyness, only less tangles.

Gumball
December 30th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I braid before bed to cut down on possible tangles I might encounter while tossing and turning during the night. It's the best way I've been able to combat them while sleeping. Adding in the satin pillowcases and smooth scrunchie has helped even more, although I'll never fully avoid tangles.

squiggyflop
December 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
um well i always have my hair up or braided to bed (otherwise it tries to sufficate me.. not to mention the mattes i would get).. i havent noticed anything in the way of my scalp being less greasy but my face is less pimply :)

pepperminttea
December 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I do an English braid starting at the nape. I really need to learn to French though, since I still get tangles from that in the unbraided scalp part. Still a lot better than loose or ponytail though! :) And definitely less oily roots.

Sarahmoon
December 30th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I do it too, to prevent tangles and for the braid waves. I don't notice any difference in oiliness.

Teacherbear
December 30th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Sometimes I braid and sometimes I put a series of 4 scrunchies down the length. Doing either significantly reduces the brush-out time in the morning.

Fireweed
December 30th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I braid every night. Thats how I sleep.

TheEndlessOcean
December 30th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I've just been doing a loose bun on the top of my head for a long time now. It keeps everything out of the way, prevents tangles, and doesn't mess up my curls. I tried braiding, but I often sleep on my back and find it rather uncomfortable, plus it makes my hair more wavy instead of curly :)

Angharad
December 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I always braid my hair before jumping into bed; it prevents my hair from getting tangled and my waves stay in better shape.

Gypsygirl
December 30th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I braid it when it is wet and then sleep on it. I do 6 braids for my whole head... Normally my hair has a very slight wave to it, but it's nothing like how I get it when I braid it.

jtl45
December 30th, 2009, 12:40 PM
i usually wash my hair nightly before bed and wear it in a pony with a few scrunchies or down and throw it over my pillow. If I wet braid, it takes forever to dry!

Little_Bird
December 30th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I do braid my hair to sleep ever since I had the lenght for it. It helps me cut the work in half when detangling the morning after :p I also do it to my sister's hair :) It makes sleeping more comfy to me :) Altough I remember (and have some experiences when I have loose hair and fall asleep in the couch) that sleeping with loose hair does actually have its magic ^^

WaitingSoLong
December 30th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I do an english braid every night. I have to or DH lays on it. Ouch! I usually condition or oil it first. It is still a mess in the morning, though. French braiidng does not work at all for me. It always falls out even though my hair is 32" all one length (no layers).

Jeni
December 30th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I always do a side braid when I sleep. It cuts down on the tangles and keeps my hair from strangling me at night.

Ryanne
December 30th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Sometimes I braid it. Most of the time I just put a bunch of scrunchies down a ponytail.

RocketDog
December 30th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I braid my hair so that it doesn't turn into a huge rat's nest of tangles by morning. I am a very active sleeper and flail about at night, so leaving my hair loose is totally impossible.

TiaKitty
December 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I prefer to braid mine before sleep. Two piggytails is my favorite style for sleep. That way there's nothing directly behind my head and it takes the pressure off of my neck.

I also like a high up, sloppy bun sometimes..

Depends on how tired I am, really. I was very tired the other night and went to bed with damp hair up. I woke up hot, panic-y, with a long strand around my neck... I've never been strangled by my hair before... Guess there's a first time for everything!

SunshineHair
December 30th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Since I joined here I started to braid it before I go to bed. Two braids on each side. Feels weird to not have my hair down!

So far I have had better results, do not notice it helping reduce oil but it does not tangle anymore! Plus when I take it down in the morning it waves and I love that :)

walterSCAN
December 30th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I usually try to braid my hair before bed-- for tangles mostly, my hair tangles if you LOOK at it wrong. Sometimes I'm just too tired nowadays, but I used to be very diligent about it. It's usually just one long braid that I can move out of the way-- I usually sleep on my side, so two braids isn't very comfortable.

Leabhar
December 30th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I braid, too. Sometimes one braid, sometimes two, but I put up with the braid kinks to keep the fairy knots at bay.

ArienEllariel
December 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Depends. I usually bun it or do 2 braids. Sometimes if I'm really sleepy I forget and leave it loose. I try to put it up or braid it though to avoid that Einstein look in the morning. :P

Fiferstone
December 30th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I braid it (single English braid down the back and I sleep on my back as well, go figure). If I don't it's dreadlock city, and not in a good way. Sometimes, though, when I'm tired or just plain lazy I don't braid it and leave it loose, and I'm almost always rewarded with a nice snarled mat and 20+ minutes of careful detangling for my laziness.

Alexannee10
December 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I do it sometimes .. I don't know why I braid or why I don't haha!

Das Siechtum
December 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I do my english nightbraid for years now and its very helpful and handy. :-)

Kristin
December 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I usually make a bun on the top of my head. Sometimes I do an English or French braid, but I don't really like the resulting waves.

Carolyn
December 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM
If it's been braided for the day I leave it that way. If I'm doing a heavy overnight oiling I'll braid on those nights. It helps cut down on tangles. I don't like braid waves so I make sure I'm not going to wear it down or do a half up the next day.

WaitingSoLong
December 30th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I will have to try the two braid. Never done that. I hate braiding my hair at night. It is the last thing I do and I am always too tired and don't want to mess with it. My hair tangles when you look at it wrong, too!

opbutterfly
December 30th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I plait my hair most nights, just from my neck down the length. It does save a great deal of untangling! Also, plaiting actually removes some of the wave from my hair, which is good because then it's easier to manage. I find two plaits really annoying, because then it's like double-trouble keeping them out of the way. I stopped wearing ponytails to bed because the bump annoyed me.

adiapalic
December 30th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I braid also--and like most others have said, it makes for less tangles.

On the way of oiliness, I think the braid keeps the hair out of my face (from where my hair tends to get oily) and my hair is overall less of a mess in the morning. Seems to keep it cleaner and in place.

:)

JCFantasy23
December 30th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I don't braid before bed because the end of the braid almost always falls out, I don't like my braid waves and they cause frizz, and...well, just a big sigh :) I do have a new way I'm going to try though. I found it on a girl's blog, can't remember name but I save things like that in a word document. She puts her hair in a high ponytail, then she braids it to about the neck area. She puts a band there, leaving plenty of hair left. With the remaining hair she uses two to three rag curls. It turns out stunning!

Coriander
December 30th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I usually braid it before bed. Sometimes I'll put it in a low bun with a scrunchie.

Konstifik
December 31st, 2009, 03:19 AM
I braid, and noticed that I don't get as many tangles as before I started braiding for bedtime. Less breakage too! And no hair in my face when I wake up. :)

Juanita
December 31st, 2009, 06:24 AM
I braid with two braids most of the time. Occasionally a bun on tp of my head. definately tangle free hair.Some times I also smear the ends with shea butter if they are feeling dry.Nice and soft inthe morning then.

Vijikanth
December 31st, 2009, 06:42 AM
I put my hair in two braids before sleep as my hair is not long enough for a single braid. I find it really comfortable and since my hair is curly, morning I find it well behaved...
If I ponytail it, I put a hairband at the end also to prevent the hair from tangles

myrrhmaiden
December 31st, 2009, 06:50 AM
I can't wait until mine is long enough to necessitate a night braid. *sigh*

WaitingSoLong
December 31st, 2009, 07:27 AM
I tried dual braids last night and what a disaster! LOL. They did stay out of my way but I have a huge halo this morning (and yes, I have satin pillow cases) oh well. Going back to single braid....

sapphire-o
December 31st, 2009, 08:30 AM
I braid hubby's hair every night. It reduce tangles in the morning and, according to him is more comfortable to sleep with compared to loose hair. It's usually a plain English braid, occasionally I'd do a different one. Like tonight I did a herringbone braid. I love braiding his hair, I just don't like detangling before the braid.

My own hair doesn't tangle so I don't bother with braids.

Rentlle
December 31st, 2009, 08:39 AM
I always braid :)
It makes it so much more comfortable in the morning..
I almost don't have to comb :D

DarkChocolate
December 31st, 2009, 09:35 AM
I do an English braid before bed and wet my tassel then put coconut oil on it. Otherwise my fine textured hair would tangle and my ends would be very dry:)

sibylla
December 31st, 2009, 10:26 AM
I´ve started to braid from the neck down two or three braids (I can´t sleep if they´re on the side). The next day I look like a princess all day.Today I did my three braids and my hair looks twice as big. I blend a bit of water and condish in my hands and massage it down the braids so they´re are soft and give long lasting waves. I bought a new body shops trea comb for my bed side table-just for braiding.

curlylocks85
December 31st, 2009, 02:20 PM
I braid my hair at night sometimes in rope braids around my head sometimes pony braids or just an English braid. I have noticed my hair is less frizzy in the morning. I also do not get that fizzy halo hair I have had in the past from wearing it down when I sleep.

silentwanderer
December 31st, 2009, 02:25 PM
Usually I don't but I did two very loose braids yesterday night because I didn't want my wet hair to be all over the pillow. Today I opened the braids to style my hair and I had these great waves:). It's like my hair is relaxed naturally. It's great. I think I'll do this for a while and see how it goes.

Honestwitness
December 31st, 2009, 02:44 PM
Sibylla, what's a trea comb?

sibylla
December 31st, 2009, 02:50 PM
Ups Honestwitness!I mean a wooden comb.My english is not so good,sorry.

Leabhar
December 31st, 2009, 10:59 PM
On thinking more about this, I have had days where I'd go straight from undoing the braids (rope or plaits) to putting it up in a bun, and reversing it for nighttime, heh. Of course, there's also nothing quite finding out you've trapped a chunk of unbraided hair under your body. Owww.

thankyousir74
December 31st, 2009, 11:48 PM
I braid before bead to avoid damage. French braid, to be exact :3

CTH3989
January 1st, 2010, 12:20 AM
I braid the length of my hair to avoid tangles.

hennaphile
January 1st, 2010, 12:36 AM
I usually do.... my hair is so fine that if I leave it lose, I wake up with a medusa nest.

When it was thick, I could leave it loose no problem.

Rhiannon7
January 1st, 2010, 02:22 AM
I braid every night to sleep, unless i just washed my hair and will want to wear it lose the day after. i usually keep it braided or bunned every day. but always, at least 98% of the time i braid for bed. keeps tangles away and protects hair from any damage done while tossing and turning in my sleep. plus yes i also noticed it helps my fine hair to be less greasy for a longer period of time, also it could be the time i've spent working on washing with poo less often.

I highly recommend braiding for sleep.

Forever_Sophie
January 1st, 2010, 08:34 AM
I've braided at night religiously through the whole growing process 'til about a month ago! Or even less. I don't like the way my ends like when it's braided sometimes (could be because of the layers I had), and my hair looks better when I sleep with it loose - more body, a little wavy, some curls...

melikai
January 1st, 2010, 09:05 PM
I do a loose low braid, or else a soft bun at the top of my head, fastened with small claw clips, and sometimes wear it loose. I haven't noticed a difference with oiliness, but it annoys me less as I'm tossing if it is up - especially in a bun.

TressMeister
January 1st, 2010, 09:25 PM
I've quit braiding my hair, as it seemed to cause more little tangles for me than the lazier approach of having the bed pulled away from the wall and hanging my hair over the top. It just turns as I do, with the weight keeping it mostly in place.

For now a bit of shiny cardboard serves to keep my hair off the carpet, but I dream that someday I'll need to place a very large ceramic crock there to catch a lovely pile of excess length.

Avoiding flannel sheets and cases has also reduced tangles for me -- a piece of lint seemed to be at the center of most of them.

Emerson
January 1st, 2010, 09:31 PM
My hair isnt really long at this point. I usually just put it in a ponytail. When it gets longer I'll probably braid it :)