PDA

View Full Version : The Hair History Of A Newbie - Where to Go Now?

lexiflowers
December 30th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to the site and I'm looking for some hair advice...

Here is a history of my hair - I'll try to keep it as brief as possible. :)

When I was very little I always had bobbed hair, then when I was four I decided I wanted to grow it really long, and I did. I had my ends trimmed every six weeks throughout my childhood and by the time I was 12 I had hair down to the small of my back that was in very good condition.

When I was 14 (with hair down to my tail-bone) I went on a trip abroad involving mountain climbing, white-water rafting, very hands-on stuff. I went for my usual trim a week or so before I left for this trip and had a moment of utter madness. I had it cut right back to pretty much shoulder-length. I immediately regretted it.

Consoling myself with the fact that I could grow it out again, I made do. I got it back down to just below my bra strap by the time I was 16. Then my life got very complicated and I didn't get my hair trimmed for two years! It was waist-length but a total state, and when I was 18 I had to make a clean break of it and have it all cut back up to just below my shoulders. I have very fine hair that really needs a trim at least every couple of months to keep it in good nick.

Demoralised, I decided to do what I could with hair that length. Last year I got a blunt fringe, which I love, and some layers to give my hair a bit more volume. My hair is now pretty-much bra strap length again, though my shortest layer is at my jaw-line. I've got forward graduation as well.

I like my hair, but I'd still really like it to be "properly" long again. The issue now is that I really don't want to get rid of my fringe, I prefer my face with it, and I don't know how it would look with very long hair. Obviously I'd need to grow my layers out, and goodness knows how long that would take.

Any advice for me? Does anyone here have waist-length (or longer) hair with a fringe? Or does it always look daft? Have people had trouble with layers? I'm still umm-ing and aah-ing over where to go from here, so any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello to everyone by the way! :) Sorry to launch in with such a long post.

Lexi x

frizzalot
December 30th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Long hair and a fringe doesn't look daft at all.

http://6.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kq64wr1WQA1qzgyc3o1_400.jpg

might depend on your face shape though.

DarkChocolate
December 30th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Welcome:) I actually love long hair with a fringe:) Some people on this site have long hair with layers and it looks nice:) I also have fine hair and need to trim it often or the middle back shapes itself into an icicle hemline;)

Anje
December 30th, 2009, 07:13 AM
If you want long hair and a fringe, go for it. One thing you'll find is that around here, few folks will tell you not to do what you want with your hair (other than cut it impulsively).

Personally, I tend to prefer fringe-free looks, but that's a personal bias.

Topaz
December 30th, 2009, 08:23 AM
My hair is almost waist length, and I've had fringe (or bangs) for most of my life. I feel like I look much better, more feminine and pretty, with some fringe to help soften my face. I think the curly bangs with my long mildly wavy hair looks good. So I say Go For It!!!

lexiflowers
December 30th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. :)

I guess I'd just never seen anyone with longer than BSL hair and a fringe, so I had no idea what it would look like.

I'm thinking I'll probably go for it, and just keep re-evaluating as I go. It would be very lovely to have hair at least to the middle of my back again. Damn my impulsivity when I was younger! :rolleyes:

dolcevita
December 30th, 2009, 09:52 AM
There's a member on the forums named "Emichiee" and she has gorgeous long hair with a soft fringe too.

Profile: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=4812

lexiflowers
December 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Ah, I can't look at her profile yet... I'll be sure to when I've got enough posts though. Thanks! :)

GoddesJourney
December 30th, 2009, 10:53 AM
So it seems like you can just join the club. There are a lot of people on LHC with fine hair that never thought they could grow it long and healthy, others who had regrettable layering, and others still who thought that fringe belongs with short hair. Now they're on their way together to long, beautiful hair with a little fringe or layering to soften the look. Who knew?

pepperminttea
December 30th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Welcome! :) I quite like long hair with a fringe, it's especially helpful to soften the look of updos too, though it's entirely up to you. :) And if you decide you don't like it in a few years, you can always grow it out with the rest; once it's past the 'curtains' stage, it normally just looks like face-softening layers until it's long enough to put up with the rest of your hair.

lexiflowers
December 30th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all the responses. :) I'm looking forward to being able to look at some of your pictures so that I can really see what I might look like with a fringe and properly long hair.

I would so love to have very long hair again, I just love how my fringe softens my face a lot and draws some attention to my eyes rather than my huge forehead :p.

I'm so glad I came across this site, you're all so welcoming and friendly!

vindo
December 30th, 2009, 06:35 PM
There's a member on the forums named "Emichiee" and she has gorgeous long hair with a soft fringe too.

Profile: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=4812

Well, I don't have bangs at the moment, but until sumer I had chunky straight bangs:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=239&pictureid=49575

It was a lot of hair taken away though and now I am growing them out and then...will see..maybe only a bit of sideswept bangs.

Length and bangs don't matter since your bangs will not really grow into your hemline anyway. What matters more if it suits you in general.
The only thing is that bangs take away some hair that you would have around your face normally, especially if they extend towards the ears..