PDA

View Full Version : say you fully bleached you hair....

jojo
December 29th, 2009, 08:46 PM
and then grew to terminal, does that mean you would never have to re-touch your roots?

and no Im not thinking of doing this! just wondering!

Tornerose
December 29th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I don't think so. I think hair still ghrows even at terminal, it just doesn't get any LONGER. The hairs that have reached max lenght will be shed....

I may be wrong though.

Brat
December 29th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Well, seems if you bleached it, then grew it... you'd have a bleached section at the bottom! If you grew to terminal, then bleached it... that's different and I don't know... but I'd guess your bleached hair will shed and the new hair growing in would slowly take over. Hmmm, interesting idea!

Ursula
December 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
It sounds as if you're thinking bleach now, then grow?

The hair that you see now would be bleached. As it grew, it would grow in with your natural color.

Once it was at terminal, it still grows. Long hairs shed, and are replaced by new growing short hairs, at a sort of equilibrium.

So what would happen is you'd go from bleached hair, to bleached hair with roots, and the roots getting longer and longer until you reached terminal, then as the old hairs continued to shed, the bleach would gradually fall out and your hair would be all your natural color.

spidermom
December 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
You absolutely would have to keep re-doing roots (or not, as you choose). The oldest, longest hairs will reach the end of their growth cycle and shed out. New hairs will grow in. It's never-ending until you go bald or die.

ericthegreat
December 29th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Nope, not at all jojo. Even after your hair reaches its terminal length, you will continue to keep shedding out old hairs and growing in new hairs. So hypothetically, if you bleached your entire head of hair and then grew to terminal, what will first happen is that you will have your dark natural roots along with all the hair you lightened below your natural roots.
Now, if you decide to stop bleaching your hair all together, then very slowly but surely you will simply start replacing all your bleach out strands with all new virgin strands that are growing in. Eventually in time, you will naturally shed out all your bleached strands and you will have grown back your natural hair with your own natural color.

GlassEyes
December 30th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I think it's more like she's asking about a curiosity, rather than something she'd do.

You'd have roots--hair still grows at terminal, it's just at the longest maintaining length possible--so as new hair sheds out, others grow in.

But exactly how they'd grow in is a mystery to me. o-o It seems like you'd gain lowlights at first. xD;

nowxisxforever
December 30th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I think it's more like she's asking about a curiosity, rather than something she'd do.

You'd have roots--hair still grows at terminal, it's just at the longest maintaining length possible--so as new hair sheds out, others grow in.

But exactly how they'd grow in is a mystery to me. o-o It seems like you'd gain lowlights at first. xD;

It'd probably be about the same as roots generally are now, as the hairs are growing constantly until they reach the end of their growth cycle. Hairs would fall out, yes, but also hairs would break off at the ends, which contributes to a kind of false terminal length if you have enough damage that it outweighs any growth progress.

SimplyViki
December 30th, 2009, 09:15 AM
You don't mean growing first to terminal, then bleaching fully? :ponder:

I'm not sure what's so curious about bleaching then growing. It'd be the same as dying or hennaing, then growing, in terms of growth/root pattern (assuming you didn't damage your follicles or something).

spidermom
December 30th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I was just thinking that in reality there would never be a time when all your hair is at terminal length because we've all got newer hairs growing along with the oldest, longest hairs. But if it were possible, then I assume you could bleach it all without getting roots. Of course you'd go bald when it all shed out at the same time.

jojo
December 30th, 2009, 02:05 PM
It sounds as if you're thinking bleach now, then grow?

The hair that you see now would be bleached. As it grew, it would grow in with your natural color.

Once it was at terminal, it still grows. Long hairs shed, and are replaced by new growing short hairs, at a sort of equilibrium.

So what would happen is you'd go from bleached hair, to bleached hair with roots, and the roots getting longer and longer until you reached terminal, then as the old hairs continued to shed, the bleach would gradually fall out and your hair would be all your natural color.
Heck no not thinking of bleaching, i have fine highlights but wouldnt dream of full bleach!

jojo
December 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I was just thinking that in reality there would never be a time when all your hair is at terminal length because we've all got newer hairs growing along with the oldest, longest hairs. But if it were possible, then I assume you could bleach it all without getting roots. Of course you'd go bald when it all shed out at the same time.
this is my thoughts too, like hair reaches a terminal length but not really a terminal growth if that makes sense!

GlassEyes
December 30th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah, that's what terminal length is--no gain in length due to the ratio of hair growth to shedding being balanced, so as nee growth catches the length, those previous hairs shed out, resulting in a maintained length.

My only problem in understanding it is the differing rate of singular hairs shedding' but I suppose it'd make sense if you think of hair shedding and growth in more than two parts, if that makes sense.

jojo
January 1st, 2010, 08:01 PM

But exactly how they'd grow in is a mystery to me. o-o It seems like you'd gain lowlights at first. xD; you got it! only a hyperthetical question, no way would I ruin all my hard work, highlights is as far as id go!

Demetrue
January 1st, 2010, 11:57 PM
Only the terminal length hairs would be completely bleached along their entire length. Any hair that was still growing and had not reached terminal would start showing the natural color at the roots and the roots would grow longer and longer until those hairs reached terminal, so you would still always have "roots" to touch up.