PDA

View Full Version : Lush hair products

julliams
December 29th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I held my nose and went into Lush for the first time today (don't know how anyone could work there - that stuff gets right up my nose). Anyway, I was looking at theirhair products.

I am currently going SLS and cone free. They use Ammonium Laureth sulfate which is supposedly derived from coconuts. Is this going to be equally as damaging as Sodium Laureth Sulfate which I understand is slightly less harsh than Sodium Laurel Sulfate. At $20 a pot I didn't really want to buy it and find out the hard way.

If you have had any experiences with these products I would love to hear.

Juliette

julliams
December 29th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I just found this quote on the Miessence website so it probably answers part of my question

"I know Sodium Laureth Suphate is an ingredient to avoid, but what about the naturally derived one from coconut?
It makes no difference whether it comes from coconut or mineral oil - it's the process the source oil goes through that renders the final product toxic. Coconut "derived" products are no better than the others. The only claim they can make is that the ingredient comes from renewable resources, as opposed to non-renewable petrochemical resources."

amaiaisabella
December 29th, 2009, 06:59 PM
There are reviews on several LUSH products in the reviews section, including my fave, Trichomania :flower:

Their shampoos are okay, the deep treats are great, and the bath products are fabulous!

SimplyViki
December 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Well, if you are trying to avoid SLS, I would stay away from LUSH. Strangely, they use SLS in their conditioners, as well as all of their shampoos. For a time, they'd switched to "sodium coco sulfate", but um... there was never any really good explanation on how that was different (SLS is generally derived from/similar to something in coconuts anyway, as I understand it).

The stuff is fun, though, and has funky names and bright colors and yummy smells. It hasn't hurt my hair or skin, so I don't mind using it. I just don't really like the conditioners because the SLS doesn't make any sense to me. (ETA: In a conditioner, that is. I use SLS shampoos all the time, and I love the LUSH 'poo bars, which are sulfate based.)

Neoma
December 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Well, if you are trying to avoid SLS, I would stay away from LUSH. Strangely, they use SLS in their conditioners, as well as all of their shampoos. For a time, they'd switched to "sodium coco sulfate", but um... there was never any really good explanation on how that was different (SLS is generally derived from/similar to something in coconuts anyway, as I understand it).

The stuff is fun, though, and has funky names and bright colors and yummy smells. It hasn't hurt my hair or skin, so I don't mind using it. I just don't really like the conditioners because the SLS doesn't make any sense to me. (ETA: In a conditioner, that is. I use SLS shampoos all the time, and I love the LUSH 'poo bars, which are sulfate based.)I wonder if they add SLS to their conditioners in order to facilitate clean rinsing? SLS is a surfactant, so it should, in theory, help rinse product out. At least that's my thinking...

SimplyViki
December 31st, 2009, 09:24 PM
I wonder if they add SLS to their conditioners in order to facilitate clean rinsing? SLS is a surfactant, so it should, in theory, help rinse product out. At least that's my thinking...
Hmm, that could be it. :hmm: It would make sense that the unconventional ingredients they like to use to make stuff out of might be a little sticky or something on its own. Woohoo! Rhyme and reason! :cheese: Maybe I'll cave and get another chunk of Jungle at some point. LOL!

Tangerine
January 1st, 2010, 01:47 AM
I love Trichomania too. At the moment though, I've started using the Karma Komba poo bar because I just adore the scent. I also have one of those mini solid perfumes in it. I could hold it up to my nose all day ... :inlove:

I've gone sulfate-free for months but have gone back to not bothering about it. So I have no problem using their stuff! :D

rogue_psyche
January 1st, 2010, 02:51 PM
I don't know much about Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, but Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate is harsher than SLS, so I imagine the laureth version is just a slightly less harsh version of the lauryl surfactant.

As far as Lush goes, you can find better, and more natural products for a lot less money, so I'd give them a pass. You're not paying for quality, just Lush's very clever marketing.

Boudicca
January 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM
I agree with rogue-psyche. I've bought a few things out of Lush and it's been the marketing that has suckered me in every time. They're quite pricey these days, too.

As for the products themselves, I've usually found the shampoo bars very harsh. My hair always squeaked after using them. The snake oil bar is alright - but that's about it.

Kris Dove
January 1st, 2010, 03:14 PM
As I think I've mentioned in my haircare profile, Lush products are my absolute all time favourites- their range for blondes, the Marilyn hair moisturiser and The Blonde shampoo bar definitely create subtle highlights, and their Veganese conditioner is great for fine hair as it doesn't weigh it down at all. Their stuff smells lovely too. They're also against animal testing, and mark their products which are suitable for us vegans.

nowxisxforever
January 1st, 2010, 03:48 PM
Personally, I got some Lush shampoo/conditioner samples and they destroyed my hair for a few weeks. It took some major babying. I would never even consider trying their liquid shampoo/conditioners or deep conditioners again. I might try their shampoo bars if I had one but they use sulfates too and if I'm using sulfates I might as well just use Suave or v05 which is what I'm using now (Suave vanilla, no conditioner).

(Edit-- I do enjoy their BATH products and soaps, though, when I'm not in a mood for a natural soap.)

Lianne
January 2nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
I adore so much of Lush, but not their haircare products. Their solid shampoos were horrible for my hair (fine, and normal/oily), the conditioners even worse. I tried a couple of the liquid shampoos and they were ok, but a little harsh - more like clarifying than daily use. Although, I stocked up on their Ghost shower gel, and often use it as a shampoo, and my hair is ok with it. But that's the exception.

Just as well, as I spend so much money on their other products.

HildeMV
January 2nd, 2010, 10:03 PM
I got some stuff for christmas and i really like it. The shampoo bars, a conditioner and hair doctor.

GuinevereMay
January 3rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
I've used Lush for a few years now. I use Gentle Lentil shampoo bar on my 11 month old daughter. I would use it myself, but the little bumps in the bar get snagged in my hair.

I use American Cream conditioner as a leave-in for myself and my four year old daughter and have yet to find anything better.

I don't know a lot about SLS or anything, so I can't attest to any of that. I can say that the hair products have worked well for me.

It got expensive to use, but I really liked Cynthia Sylvia Stout. It has stout in it and my hair was rich and shiny when I used it.

I use Big once a week as a clarifier. It can strip color out (I've heard,) so you may want to be aware of that.

Hope that helps.

Tangerine
January 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
I've used Lush for a few years now. I use Gentle Lentil shampoo bar on my 11 month old daughter. I would use it myself, but the little bumps in the bar get snagged in my hair.

I use American Cream conditioner as a leave-in for myself and my four year old daughter and have yet to find anything better.

I don't know a lot about SLS or anything, so I can't attest to any of that. I can say that the hair products have worked well for me.

It got expensive to use, but I really liked Cynthia Sylvia Stout. It has stout in it and my hair was rich and shiny when I used it.

I use Big once a week as a clarifier. It can strip color out (I've heard,) so you may want to be aware of that.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the LHC, GuinevereMay! :flower: Just wanted to say I love your avatar photo! Glorious braid, and magical backdrop :D

GuinevereMay
January 3rd, 2010, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the LHC, GuinevereMay! :flower: Just wanted to say I love your avatar photo! Glorious braid, and magical backdrop :D

Oh, thank you! It's not a backdrop- I was actually there! :D (I can't believe it myself.) And thank you for the compliment. I am really loving all beautiful hair on this forum.

Tangerine
January 4th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Oh woops I didn't realise 'backdrop' implied not actually being there for real :o It certainly shows that it is a real picture of you at Stonehenge :D
:blossom: