PDA

View Full Version : how does 2 compare with 1? (braid, tail, bun)

jasper
December 29th, 2009, 01:17 PM
What do you think of wearing two braids or two ponytails (we called two of those "dog ears" when I was little) or two buns? Or two hair clips, one on each side?

I remember at some point in my childhood believing that it was more "grown up" to wear only one, and that styles with two belong to very little girls. But now I think that there's no good reason to limit style possibilities. With longer hair, 2 might make sense for dividing the weight of hair, varying the anchor point for buns and styles, etc. Still, I wonder if it will look a bit silly at my age.

Lemur_Catta
December 29th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I like two braids or two ponytails, but I don't like two buns. I don't think two = young and silly, it depends on the case. Maybe this rumor started because "grown up" women - I am talking about the mainstream - rarely part their hair in the middle (it is seen as boring, at least where I live), thus making it difficult to part their hair evenly to make two braids.

I don't like two buns for many reasons - they never look the same on each side, I don't like to wear two hair sticks...but mainly I don't like the look of them, it's just a personal thing. They have their advantages: working with only half of your hair, you can do more buns than you would be able with all your hair at your length.
I think it is a matter of personal choice :)

Calista
December 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM
That is a fun poll, I like the options! :thumbsup:

I voted "there is a time for everything"...

motormuffin
December 29th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I wear dog ears sometimes...I get the "Oh don't you look cute today". I don't feel funny if I wear them low but if I wear them high...
I wear two buns sometimes too...or two braids. I don't feel grown up anyway... I usually part my hair on the side for any style.
My grandma says I look more sophisticated when I have a french twist or something.

Leneveu
December 29th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I don't wear twin styles because of coordination issues :p - I end up lop-sided. I'd love to learn double french braids, though.

I think low and far back is a good general rule for the over twelves :)

Carolyn
December 29th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I like seeing 2 braids or ponys on others but that's not a style for me. I might do 2 braids for something like comfort on an airline flight. if you like those styles, why not just do them and enjoy them?

Anje
December 29th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I went with "occasions" and "two are too small" (for me, anyway). There are lots of times when two braids are fun, cute, and appropriate, but I don't think I'd wear the style to a wedding, for example, where I might consider wearing a single braid.

Double buns are cute on some folks, whereas others (like me) can't make them look good. I tend to find my hair too thin for many doubled styles.

AJoifulNoise
December 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I wear two braids or buns all the time. I don't see why not. I wouldn't wear it at a more professional job, I suppose. But, it would all depend on dress code.

Aer
December 29th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I vote that two can be be worn at any age by anyone. I don't though, I usually wear one bun or one braid. But there's been occasions where I would sport multi buns or braids.

klcqtee
December 29th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I love wearing two buns about mid height on my head (somewheres right above my ears, and just behind them). I feel so perky, young and cheerful and vibrant! Plus it's a rarely sported hairstyle, and draws attention. I can also do cool buns that I can't normally do, due to thickness.

Of course, I'm only 17, you wouldn't think I'd need help feeling young :p

ravenreed
December 30th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I love double buns. It helps distribute the weight of my hair better, and helps me not feel frumpy, like I do when I just have one in.

Naava
December 30th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I like to wear double everything :D I just think that makes wearing my hair up look less serious and tidy.

Othala
December 30th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Two of anything are perkier than one and childish and silly and I am 44 and I wear them coz I like it.

Arctic
December 30th, 2009, 06:14 AM
The only style that looks little girlish in my eyes are pig tails (two ponytails). I sometimes see adult women wearing them and it makes me cringe. Other than that, if one feels their hair looks good (what ever the style) and are confident about their style then it will most probably also look good.

Beets
December 30th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I voted the "two of anything can be worn with dignity at any age," but I think the wording of that choice implies that the goal is to be perceived as being dignified. I say posh to that. In my early '30s, and looking every bit of it, I wear my hair however I darn well please, onlookers be darned.

LisaButz2001
December 30th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I personally prefer single versions of those styles, but I voted time and place, as I feel it's a personal comfort issue.

Sarahmoon
December 30th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I think anyone can wear 2, as long as you like it. I wear 2 ponytails or braids sometimes. I put them low because I don't feel comfortable putting them high. Doesn't mean I don't like it on other people, though.

Exodus
December 30th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I voted Two are too small- one is bigger and better. Having not that much hair, it looks just stupid if I make two braids or buns. And. It is so much easier to just make one. I'm very lazy. Normal English braid on the back of your head - fast and easy, same thing with bun. Takes too much energy to try to make two proportional buns or braids.

Edit: When it comes to two of something on other people. If there is enough of hair it can look ok, otherwise it can look a little bit sorry.

walterSCAN
December 30th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I voted 'right and wrong times...' before I realized I could pick more than one. :(

I've actually thought about this question recently, because I generally prefer 2 over one on myself-- it's generally more flattering and 'balancing'(not sure why I chose this word... maybe I subconsciously feel like my head is lopsided!) for me. I keep wondering if I'm going to feel like I have to quit it when I'm 40 or something ridiculous, and then I hope not... Who knows? I like to hope I'll still be comfortable enough then that it won't matter.

ravenreed
December 30th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I am 40 and I am not quitting. Age is a number, after all. Who makes up these stupid rules? I never agreed to play by them!

I voted 'right and wrong times...' before I realized I could pick more than one. :(

I've actually thought about this question recently, because I generally prefer 2 over one on myself-- it's generally more flattering and 'balancing'(not sure why I chose this word... maybe I subconsciously feel like my head is lopsided!) for me. I keep wondering if I'm going to feel like I have to quit it when I'm 40 or something ridiculous, and then I hope not... Who knows? I like to hope I'll still be comfortable enough then that it won't matter.

raspberrytea
December 30th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Related to this... does anyone know of tricks to disguise the long part you get when hair is tied up in two? Double braids,buns, etc can look really cute, but I seriously hate the bright white part I get dividing my head down the middle

walterSCAN
December 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
You could part it in a zig-zag (assuming you're using a rat-tail comb or similar to part with), or what I usually do (which is admittedly not the most 'polished' look) is part my hair in the length, mostly ignoring how the line come out on my scalp. Dunno if that helps...

Laylah
December 31st, 2009, 09:31 AM
Related to this... does anyone know of tricks to disguise the long part you get when hair is tied up in two? Double braids,buns, etc can look really cute, but I seriously hate the bright white part I get dividing my head down the middle
When put my hair up in two, I part with my finger. The resulting part is not as neat, but also not as visible.

IMO, there is a time and occasion for "one" or "two".

myrrhmaiden
December 31st, 2009, 09:39 AM
I voted two of anything with dignity at any age. I think it really depends on the person and their energy. The type of hair toys used to secure the style makes all the difference too, as well as the type of style. French braids and other fancy braids look quite elegant to me for example. It's all about what works for the individual I think.

slz
January 1st, 2010, 03:29 PM

Emerson
January 1st, 2010, 09:20 PM
I think they look cute on other people, but when I try them, it just somehow doesnt look right...lol ;)

WavyGirl
January 2nd, 2010, 02:15 AM
I voted for 2 can be worn at any age and that time and place matter.

I love classic french/dutch braids & buns. They take longer to do well but look really intricate and impressive. I wouldn't wear the english style classic braids to a very formal occasion myself, but I've seen celebs get away with just that at red carpet dos. I think bunches (2 loose flowing ponytails) is very informal and playful so that's the one I use least. That said whenever I do wear my hair that way people really notice the length and condition.

There's no way I'm giving up a style because someone else thinks I'm to old!

Yozhik
January 2nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
I love twin braids and ponytails. I think I haven't tried buns yet because my hair is so short.
As for where the association between youth and double braids came from, I know, just as sort of general history knowledge that back in the day (think Little House of the Prairie) girls wore double braids, and when they were old enough, they got to wear their hair up -- it was a coming of age thing, which still must hold over to these times.

I voted for low braids, although I don't necessarily think they have to be close together.
But I say -- wear your hair how you like it -- it's yours, after all :)

jasper
January 2nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
As for the word dignity- I just wanted a word that sounded opposite to "silly."

I've tried a few double bun styles this week using some little jaw clips to hold them. It is tricky to get them aligned!

AgnesONutter
January 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM
It depends on the person. Personally, on me, it looks childish but my sister can get away with it. If you want young and fun, then yes. If you want sexy, definitely no. If you want mature, it depends on you entirely and if you can pull it of.

slz
January 4th, 2010, 12:12 PM

ArienEllariel
January 4th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Eh I don't think 2 buns or braids look childish. As a matter of fact, I went to the movies today with teddy bear ears (2 buns high up on either side of the head). ^^ My dad refuses to stop teasing me about being Princess Leia- which is weird since her buns are huge and mine are rather small.

Two pony tails don't look childish unless you put them high up.

sibiryachka
February 6th, 2010, 08:23 PM
My 43-yr-old artist cousin still rocks the panda puffs/teddy bear ears regularly, and they suit her to perfection. As for me, at 46 I wear 2 braids... probably at least once a week? - I especially love the way it looks with a bandanna - and can't think of any age at which I'd consider it unsuitable.

curlycrown
February 6th, 2010, 08:47 PM
In my opinion, two high pigtails or buns on the sides of the head is sort of kiddie like. If two buns or braids were low and clsoe together to make some sort of updo would be elegant and age appropriate for someone over the age of 16.

-simply Venus-
February 6th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I think it depends on the style, and the occasion. Like two low, braided piggy-tails are fine for school or something casual like that, but two high ones are for little kids. >.< And I don't really like the two buns idea, looks like that lady from star wars. Lol.

christine1989
February 6th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Whenever I wears two buns/braids/pigtails I start acting like a first grader which can be detrimental when you are in college :)

Accodion
February 8th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I love pigtails. I generally wear them close together at about mid-head height. I am definitely gonna try the teddy bear ears and see what I think of them. I love 'childlike' hairstyles. I may only be 20, but I already say that while I will grow old, I refuse to grow up.

There is a time and a place for every hairstyle. Hanging out with friends/doddering about the house? Yes, I'll rock the twin styles. Job interviews and formal occasions? I'll probably go with a more sophisticated single style.

I used to work as a courtesy clerk at a grocery store, and I'd wear two pigtails close together sometimes. Halfway through the day, I'd get hot and just wind them together into a bun style with a spare elastic.

TiaKitty
February 8th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I wear two braids frequently... When I have a migraine, this is my style of choice; keeps it out of my face and distributes the weight evenly on my scalp. Sometimes I braid all the way to the end and sometimes I leave really big tassels at the ends.

I LOVE the teddy bear ears, but I can't quite keep them at the same spot. I need someone else to do them for me.

I disagree about the two pony tails, high up, not being sexy. That's frequently part of my Catholic School Girl costume, and it it gets rave reviews!

I, too, for an interview or a proper job would tend to wear one of anything, braid, bun, or pony tail.

windinherhair
February 8th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I think two of anything can be worn at any time. Just within the past year I have worn 2 braids at times. I think it is cute. I think people should wear their hair the way they would like. I have even got comments before about how my hair could be too long for my age but I am not letting that stop me from growing it longer. :) There is always going to be someone out there thinking differently then what you are, but as long as you like what you are wearing, I think that is all that matters.

peachrose
February 8th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I certainly wouldn't wear them to work but I work for the government in a fairly conservative office. I do wear two braids fairly frequently going out or just around the house. I have crazy iii hair so it's actually nice to be able to divide my hair in two. I haven't done double buns in awhile or ponytails but I rock the twin braids pretty often. I think it all depends on the context and the person, some older people look great, others not so much, but they are not here to decorate my world so doesn't matter to me.

sibiryachka
February 11th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Interesting that in our culture, 2 braids or pigtails connotes childishness. In Russian folklore and folk art, if a female is depicted with 2 braids, it indicates that she's a married woman. A single braid connotes umarried status/implied virginity.

mira-chan
February 11th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Two can be worn, just as one can be worn. It's just a style option.

BrightEyes7
March 26th, 2010, 01:53 PM
On weekends when I am casual I like two low braids and I leave a little tail on the bottoms and straighten them... I think that is very cute. I don't like to ponytails or buns though... sometimes I do twin french braids too

ravenreed
March 26th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I had NO idea! Thanks for that bit of information. Now I won't feel quite as silly wearing two braids. :)

Interesting that in our culture, 2 braids or pigtails connotes childishness. In Russian folklore and folk art, if a female is depicted with 2 braids, it indicates that she's a married woman. A single braid connotes umarried status/implied virginity.

emmabovary
March 26th, 2010, 02:27 PM
sorry, double post!

emmabovary
March 26th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I love wearing twin braids, English or French. They look cute and they actually make me feel more energetic, lol :) DF thinks high double ponytails are super sexy, so sometimes I wear that but not outside of the bedroom :p I like low double ponies though. For me they personify easy-going and fun without being unfeminine. Same goes for double English braids. I like twin French braids because they really suit my facial shape :)

I didn't know that either, that's extremely interesting, thanks :)

Capybara
March 28th, 2010, 07:35 PM
For me, it depends on my mood/how I feel like wearing my hair.
If I'm sailing/swimming/other water sport, I prefer 2 for some reason.
If I'm working, I prefer 1.

Both ways can look cute, though, at any age. I made some awesome twin buns on my grandmother once, and they looked completely age appropriate!

RedStripe
March 29th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I voted "right and wrong times ..." For a long time I had been thinking the anime-style two-buns look was cute, but would look way too little girly for my age. But I tried it this weekend to wear to a party with a "forever young" theme (the 19th anniversary of my friend's 21st birthday:D) and I loved it. I think I'll start adding it to my regular rotation of styles.

Don't wear two tails or braids very often these days, but I did at one time.

birthmarkie
March 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I can't agree with any of the poll statements as necessarily true. It all depends on the wearer's style.

Nae
March 29th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Why is it that everytime I see the title of this thread I start singing to myself, "One is the loneliest number, one is the loneliest number........."

I like both one and two though.

missmandy
March 29th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I love the look of two!!! I can't wait until I get better at doing one bun, so I can do two!!! So cute!!!

kwaniesiam
March 29th, 2010, 06:43 PM
There is a right and a wrong time for everything. Personally, I could never wear two of anything. My hair is too thin, single braids and buns tend to look sad sometimes let alone cut in half.

beez1717
April 2nd, 2010, 10:57 PM
I think two braids are cute. So are two ponytails!!!! Hell I'd do that style to my hair even though I'm a guy. I guess I just like being me and different.

Isabelle1984
April 3rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Two high ponytails are a bit too girlish in my opinion :o

But low ones - why not ? :)

ravensinger13
April 3rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Some days I just can't resist two high ponytails or an 80's side pony! But I also love ribbons and such too, just a tad whimsical...

mattt
May 2nd, 2010, 12:33 AM
Always preferred the greater size of one even though i have thick hair. this time when its gets long i will give two a go to see, but still i think i will probably stick with one

Aleria
May 2nd, 2010, 12:42 AM
I have super thick, short-ish hair so if I want decent looking braids, I have to do two. I still can't even do one bun properly :( so I can't comment on buns. I love doing two half-ponytails, though it does make me look a bit younger I think. It all depends on how I want to look that day.

habioku
May 2nd, 2010, 02:03 AM
Sometimes I like to wear two braids or buns, I don't see anything special on this styles. Just as other hairstyles it depends on the situation, if its fits or not.
But I think, not all twin styles have the same connotations. I agree, that twin styles that are low and close together look more feminine and elegant than twin styles at the side of the head, which look much more girly.

jasper
May 2nd, 2010, 06:00 AM
A coworker of mine had two braided buns yesterday and I forgot to wonder of any of the poll statements were true of her. Instead I was just wondering how many bobby pins she had used because it seemed like a lot of them. There are several people at my job who will wear two buns or tails, and I see the look on people around town, so it seems pretty normal to me at this point. Still, when I wore two buns I got a comment that it looked like a child style.

I don't try it too often because it takes more time to get the symmetry. Maybe that's why someone made a comment- simply because it was looking different that day.

I would like to include double styles more often, though, because I like variety.

lemonmelon
May 2nd, 2010, 10:01 AM
I think two of anything can look cute. I think wearing two pony tails or braid up high is a little cutesy for me but I'd wear them low :eek:

Cirafly24
May 2nd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Some days I just can't resist two high ponytails or an 80's side pony! But I also love ribbons and such too, just a tad whimsical...

I'm the same way on all counts :) I love casual, fun styles...I have never had anyone even imply that my high pigtails are childish or that I'm too old for a certain style. In fact, I've gotten nothing but compliments when I wear them.

I do believe that there are some situations/occasions that call for more formal styles. For example, I wouldn't wear pigtails or double buns to a funeral, or to a job interview. However, to a picnic? Or to go shopping? No problem!

slz
May 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM

growing2shine
May 2nd, 2010, 03:22 PM
well I'm not cracy about two of anything on me. I sometimes wear double braids at home. But I think it depends on the person wearing it. It can look good on some and bad on others :)

Peter
May 3rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
I've worn two braids in the past, before my hair was long enough to get into one braid. I got some funny looks. :D

I don't do it anymore though. I just like a plain single braid.

Nastasia
May 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
My big problem with two of anything is that I have this obsession with symmetry, and it's hard to get things exactly lined up. My hair is also fairly thin, so I don't like how skinny two braids are. I haven't actually tried doing two buns, though.