PDA

View Full Version : APL this year!

Pages : [1] 2

Lize
March 10th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Making a new version of tomm's thread because I really enjoyed that one.

A thread for you who will reach Arm Pit Length this year. Let's grow together!

I will reach APL in about 3 or 4 months if I just guesstimate. I am growing from a pixieish cut that I got in summer 2006. Joined LHC in late October 2006 and spent the first year getting rid of my many layers. Cut to one length hair in August 2007 and now my focus is gaining length!

What about you?

Gemma
March 10th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Hurrah! My home away from home. ;)

I think I should hit my goal in 1-2 months. This makes me very excited, understandably! I've been wearing my hair up almost everyday lately so I can just forget about it and let it grow. Every time I let it down, it's a pleasant surprise.

tomm
March 10th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks for starting this thread up again, Lize!

I should reach APL length wet some time this year. As for dry - who knows *sigh*

In the meantime - as a mini-milestone :) - it now is an ingrained habit for me to free my hair from underneath my collar when I put on a shirt or coat! This is, of course, a frequent requirement since it seems to delight in slipping back underneath at every opportunity.

ailin
March 10th, 2008, 09:51 AM
*leaps in* My longest layers are probably 3-4 months away from APL as well.

I know what you mean about that first collar snag, tomm, it's a great feeling :D

Masara
March 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I'm very, very nearly there. My longest hairs are at APL now but most of it has another couple of months to go, I'm also planning on trimming a bit in a couple of weeks to get rid of some really horrible ends which means that when I do get there there shouldn't be too many layers.

i don't wear my hair down generally but now I get the end of my braid getting caught in the collar of tops and even curly back up and sticking in my ear

Lize
March 10th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Yay, Gemma! 1-2 months, that's nothing! You will be there very very soon! :)

And tomm, yay for milestones! :hollie:

SugarBabydoll
March 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
My hair is longer in the front and some of the hair is already at APL when wet but it will take some time before all of my hair reaches it, especially when it's dry. I have no idea how long it will take but APL is my first semi-goal lengthwise.

jojo
March 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM
good luck to you all, you will get there before you know it! my sides still need to get to APL so although my next goal for the back is bsl, my sides still need to catch up!

JKRBeloved
March 10th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Oh! Thanks for starting this. I had never thought about APL as a goal... but it's perfect for me now, because I might be there in 12 months, if I squeeze my eyes real tight and do lots of scalp massages!

tomm
March 10th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I'm sure you will be there, JKRBeloved! And we'll be encouraging you all the way!

Robinlyn
March 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Happy Growing to all of you! I hope to be at APL in 2-3 months. I do need a trim though, it's been 1 year!

wintersun99
March 10th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Hi all, welcome back! I don't know if I will make it, but I am keeping my fingers crossed! I had a 1/2 inch trim yesterday and do not plan to trim again until January 2009.

~*BeautyWitch*~
March 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM
My longest layer is 1.5" away, my hair grows so slow in the cold months that I'm not even going to try and guesstimated how long that will take for me. I am SO ready for Spring! I hope reach my APL goal by my B-day (Aug). I also have a problem being around scissors so that's something I have to work on if I want to reach my goal.

Lize
March 11th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Great to see you all! :) I feel like I really need another mini trim. I had one February 2nd but maybe I didn't take off enough. My ends feel a bit thin. However I will try to hold out as long as humanly possible before I trim again. I so want to gain more length right now. Maybe I should try to wear it up more.

Naluin
March 11th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Count me in! I plan to reach APL by the end of this year. I hope to reach it by fall, since my hair has been growing pretty quickly for the past 6 months or so.

Lucky
March 11th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I should get to APL by around June, according to my estimates. I was there in May of 2007 but I (stupidly) cut it off to above my shoulders.

Then it's on to BSL and *maybe* beyond!

tomm
March 11th, 2008, 07:58 AM
~*BeautyWitch*~, if ever you need anyone to encourage you to put the scissors down and back away, we are here!

Lize, remember the two week rule! Why not commit now to waiting until the end of the month (OK, so I'm stretching the rule to three weeks :)) before even thinking about another trim.

Lize
March 11th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Lize, remember the two week rule! Why not commit now to waiting until the end of the month (OK, so I'm stretching the rule to three weeks :)) before even thinking about another trim.

Yes I will remember the two week rule. :D I will definately wait until the end of the month. Hopefully I can go even longer if I wear it up a lot. Had it in an English braid today.

missy60
March 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Ok I think Im confused when I look at your pic I see hair mostly at APL or what I thought it was any way. Does APL mean arm pit length?

Lize
March 11th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Ok I think Im confused when I look at your pic I see hair mostly at APL or what I thought it was any way. Does APL mean arm pit length?

Yes APL means Arm Pit Length. Who's pic are you referring to?

missy60
March 11th, 2008, 05:10 PM
The ones I thought looked like they were already APL are Robinlyn who says shes 2-3 months away. BeautyWitch and Lucky they look APL to me to that is why I was wondering if I was confused

chloeishere
March 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure how long I am away from APL, but I should definitely be there within a year! I can't wait. I appear to have hit a stall (no growth this month), so I don't know when I'll get there. I would suspect 3-4 months if I continue to get just under an inch a month, but there's no guarantee about that. I have about 3 inches to go.

Good to see everybody! It's nice to know I'm not the only one desperately wanting to get there. I know it's still short, but it's still better than shoulder!

Lize
March 12th, 2008, 02:13 AM
The ones I thought looked like they were already APL are Robinlyn who says shes 2-3 months away. BeautyWitch and Lucky they look APL to me to that is why I was wondering if I was confused

Understandable.. I think they are quite close! :)

I'm not sure how long I am away from APL, but I should definitely be there within a year! I can't wait. I appear to have hit a stall (no growth this month), so I don't know when I'll get there. I would suspect 3-4 months if I continue to get just under an inch a month, but there's no guarantee about that. I have about 3 inches to go.

Good to see everybody! It's nice to know I'm not the only one desperately wanting to get there. I know it's still short, but it's still better than shoulder!

Absolutely! You are very welcome to this little supportgroup. :) This was one of my favorite threads before LHC went down. I hope your stall is over soon! You seem to have a very fast growth rate normally, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

tomm
March 12th, 2008, 05:20 AM

Welcome, ChloeIsHere! You are right, growing past shoulder-length feels different than growing to that first brush of hair on your shoulders. We will get there together!

2BThinAgain
March 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM
It would be nice to hit it by the end of the year as I did join the no trim club as well :)

Crossing my fingers and my toes too,

Deb

Mary <><
March 12th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I am getting very close to APL now. I am hoping it will be official in the next month or less. :D Long way to go to reach my final goal, mid thigh, but this will be a milestone occasion indeed!

Robinlyn
March 12th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Missy60- Thank you for seeing how close I am! I think I am about an 1 - 1 1/2 away though. I also do need a trim, it's been a year and my ends are starting to look a little thin. I may hold off until I'm past APL and trim to APL. I feel like my hair is growing so slowly!!

chrissy-b
March 14th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I will definitely reach APL this year, and (if I'm lucky) maybe even BSL by the New Year.

Lize
March 14th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I will definitely reach APL this year, and (if I'm lucky) maybe even BSL by the New Year.

I am hoping for the same thing! :hollie:

Gemma
March 14th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Does anyone else feel stuck in a hair rut at this length?

It feels like I either do Dutch braids (single or pigtails), a simple bun, or a ponytail. Anything more adventurous either doesn't look right, or doesn't hold well because my hair just isn't long enough.

I'm trying to be inventive but it's difficult.

chloeishere
March 15th, 2008, 08:22 PM

It feels like I either do Dutch braids (single or pigtails), a simple bun, or a ponytail. Anything more adventurous either doesn't look right, or doesn't hold well because my hair just isn't long enough.

Very much so, though the styles I can do are different. I don't do braids often, because I feel like my braid is too stumpy, especially with the layers requiring it to terminate 3 inches above the ends. I also don't like having my hair pulled back tightly from the front (I prefer to keep a part) because I don't like how my face looks with those styles.

Right now, I can do: ponytails (though I choose not to, most of the time), French twist (all. the. time. I'm so sick of French twists!), an occasional, very messy, non-end protecting Easy Hairstick Bun (which isn't back up in the articles, yet), and an occasional, very messy, Equilibrium bun (also non-end-protecting). Oh, and pigtail versions of those styles (except French twist pigtails, they don't work on me for some reason).

:taz:
I'm ready for more style options, please!

Lize
March 17th, 2008, 03:27 PM

I also find it quite hard to be inventive with my hairdos. I wear my hair down quite often becuse it suits my face to have soft hairdos. Sometimes I wear ponytails or double braids. Unfortunately I still have to make the braids quite tight because I lack the length. Not very pretty on me. :rolleyes: So I hope that when my hair is longer it will be easier for me to wear loose braids and 'dos.

I still have trouble to make any kinds of buns because of my thickness. I am going to have to wait a bit more for those.

Lize
March 24th, 2008, 02:40 PM
*bump* Any updates guys? Anyone close to reaching APL? :D

tomm
March 24th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I posted this picture in another thread. This shot was taken last night:

http://tomandeva.googlepages.com/HPIM2046a.jpg.

Wet, it is within a couple of inches of APL - I hope to be there sometime this fall. Dry, that's going to take a LOT longer. But I'm in no hurry; the curls are worth it!

Lize
March 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Absolutely agree there tomm! Your curls are really amazing! Your hair has really grown since last time I saw it! Thank you for sharing. :flowers:

DecafJane
March 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Mine might reach APL by the end of this year. If it continues growing the way it has been, the longest layers will be there. However, I will probably have to trim a bit in the new year to make the pixie-cut layers go away, so my plan is to be "stuck" at APL for a few months. Considering where I am now, it is a wonderful thought. :)

tomm
March 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Thank you, Lize! I trust your hair is doing well too.

Welcome, DecafJane. I think your hair is going to be amazing when you reach your goal!

DecafJane
March 24th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks, Tomm! I love your curls - mine are a lot larger when they grow, but I have always loved ringlets.

Funny story (off topic, sorry!) - when my grandfather was a little boy he had long hair (which was the style at the time) which formed itself into long, lovely ringlets. When he reached a certain age (5 or so?) his mother had to chop them off because he was seen as being too old to have them - apparently she just cried and cried. When I saw your ringlets, it reminded me of that story - men with curly hair can have the nicest curls! :)

harley mama
March 24th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Lize, your hair is growing so fast. You will reach your goal before you know it!

Lize
March 25th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Lize, your hair is growing so fast. You will reach your goal before you know it!

Thank you so much! :D I hope to reach APL pretty soon.

tomm
March 25th, 2008, 08:14 AM
My only question is: Who is going to get there first - Lize or Gemma? :D

alys
March 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I will certianly hit APL this year, hoping to reach my goal of BSL, actually, but that's a very lofty goal. Good luck to all!!

Mrs_Zombie
March 25th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I should be reaching APL by June, latest July of this year. And then that means i will hopefully reach BSL by the end of the year!!

WHOO HOO!!

LuXious
March 25th, 2008, 11:46 AM
...I am growing from a pixieish cut that I got in summer 2006... spent the first year getting rid of my many layers. Cut to one length hair in August 2007 and now my focus is gaining length!...

I did that once. Cut in a pixie May '02, got it to a jaw-length, only slightly- layered bob by Christmas that year, and it was to my shoulders by early summer. Then I fried it with bleach and colors and had to cut it again to chin-length. Color has been my greatest setback. Thank God for henna and indigo. So don't strip and dye your hair if you want it to last! That's my advice. That pixie-cut could have grown down to my butt by now, if only I'd known about LHC. Anyway, I'm at APL now. Shooting for BSL by June! Good luck, ladies and gents.

Gemma
March 25th, 2008, 01:31 PM
My only question is: Who is going to get there first - Lize or Gemma? :D

The winner buys the other chocolate! Who's in? ;)

Btw, tomm, I am so happy to see you posting so many lovely pictures lately! Your hair is seriously getting long, even as the curls are 'bulking' (I can't think of an elegant word, forgive me) up.

sweetlidlred
March 25th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Hi all, it is so nice that others are at about the same place as me in their growing out process. When I first found LHC I thought that everybody on here already had mid back hair or longer. I am also growing out from a pixie a cut like many others here. My hair is just about shoulder length, so hopefully by fall I will reach APL. Lets just keep growing togther.

jojo
March 25th, 2008, 09:25 PM
It would be nice to hit it by the end of the year as I did join the no trim club as well :)

Crossing my fingers and my toes too,

Deb you will get there before you know it, just watch you dont get cramp with all those things crossed okay?;)

rhosyn_du
March 26th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Hey, all. I should definitely be reaching APL sometime this year. If I manage to keep getting 3/4" a month growth, I may even just barely reach BSL by the end of the year, but I'm not counting on it. It's really nice to see that there are others at about the same growing out stage that I'm at.

Good growing, everyone!

FaeryTails
March 26th, 2008, 04:45 AM
I do so hope to get to APL by the end of the year - just past shoulder length now.
Just have to avoid the dreaded scissors!

tomm
March 26th, 2008, 10:59 AM
May I offer a welcome to everyone who is new to this thread. It is wonderful to see how many of us there are that this stage of growth! Think of what a marvelous group photo we would make at the end of the year all with tresses past APL (my hair would have to be soaking wet to show that, but it would be worth it!).

Thank you for the compliment, Gemma. I have been so honored and encouraged by all of the wonderful support that I have gotten in response to those pictures.

I hope (hint, HINT, HINT!!) that others might share some new photos too?

Alaskanheart
March 26th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Me too. Me too. I should be there in 3 months or so guesstimated. I'm doing my best to stay away from the hairstylist. I feel like I need a mini trim , but I am so afraid to go back. I haven't been since August of last year, when I got the biggest Butchered job of my life.I'm trying to make it until a year before I get it trim. Its so scary, after all the hard work to think a stylist might screw it all up.

Gemma
March 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Thank you for the compliment, Gemma. I have been so honored and encouraged by all of the wonderful support that I have gotten in response to those pictures.

You're very welcome, tomm!

I hope (hint, HINT, HINT!!) that others might share some new photos too?

Well, how can I resist the chance to post pictures? ;)

Wet hair:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_0695a.jpg

I like this one because it shows how much hair hangs over the front of my shoulders now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_0686.jpg

tomm
March 26th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Oooooh!! I think that if you straightened out that slight curl/wave you would be touching the line! You are so close; you definitely will be over by next month!!

Congratulations!

Lize
March 30th, 2008, 03:40 AM
The winner buys the other chocolate! Who's in? ;)

Btw, tomm, I am so happy to see you posting so many lovely pictures lately! Your hair is seriously getting long, even as the curls are 'bulking' (I can't think of an elegant word, forgive me) up.

You've got yourself a deal! :D

Judging by looking at your pictures I think we are very close in length. :) I estimate I will probably reach APL in June.

Gemma
April 2nd, 2008, 05:53 AM
You've got yourself a deal! :D

Judging by looking at your pictures I think we are very close in length. :) I estimate I will probably reach APL in June.

It all depends on my growth, of course, but I'm hoping to hit APL in May. :) I tend to get about an inch a month but I've been pretty stressed lately so I'm not sure if that'll slow my growth or not.

Just think, Lize, once we hit APL, we can start dreaming of BSL!

Lize
April 2nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
It all depends on my growth, of course, but I'm hoping to hit APL in May. :) I tend to get about an inch a month but I've been pretty stressed lately so I'm not sure if that'll slow my growth or not.

Just think, Lize, once we hit APL, we can start dreaming of BSL!

Then I'll probably have to buy you some chocolate. :D I do NOT get an inch a month. I tend to get 0.5-0.6 a month. Can't wait for BSL! I think I might just reach it by the end of the year. :agree:

Gemma
April 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Then I'll probably have to buy you some chocolate. :D I do NOT get an inch a month. I tend to get 0.5-0.6 a month. Can't wait for BSL! I think I might just reach it by the end of the year. :agree:

No, the first to hit APL buys the other chocolate. That's way more fair! Although, I just noticed you're in Sweden so maybe I should let you buy me chocolate. Europe makes the best chocolate, IMO. :D

Lize
April 2nd, 2008, 11:59 PM
No, the first to hit APL buys the other chocolate. That's way more fair! Although, I just noticed you're in Sweden so maybe I should let you buy me chocolate. Europe makes the best chocolate, IMO. :D

:lol: We do have some lovely chocolate over here. *drool*

Lize
April 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Gosh, I thought I'd check how close I was to APL tonight. I thought I'd reach it in June but now I realize that a few hairs are already there! I don't know if I'd call this APL yet because there are so many hairs that aren't there... but maybe in a month or so?? What do you think?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/Libelous/almostapl.jpg

jesamyn
April 10th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I think you should start feeling excited. ;)

Hrm...I woulda been there in a month or two, but after my accidental chop, I'm thinking by about August.

chloeishere
April 10th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Lize, I'd say you are at length, "Can I call this APL?"

Congratulations!

MermaidGirl
April 10th, 2008, 10:52 PM
A quick, silly question: how do you determine if your hair is APL? Mine is sitting right at BSL in the back ...

MermaidGirl
April 10th, 2008, 11:08 PM
A quick, silly question: how do you determine if your hair is APL? Mine is sitting right at BSL in the back ...

Ok, yes, I am quoting myself, but just so I can say ... please ignore my question! For some reason, I thought this thread ended at page 1 and I was real quick on the draw with my question. :o I've read through the entire thread and see that how several of you were so kind as to post pictures with APL clearly shown with a line across your backs.

BTW, Tomm, GREAT curls! I have a crush on a guy with black, collar-bone length curls - for some reason it seems that guys always have the best curls! :)

sweetkandi
April 10th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Maybe I will get to APL in 5 to 6 months? Its barley at my shoulders now, but I grow about an inch a month, unless my hair is having a little pause. Well, anyway...I hope its that soon lol. It had better be by x-mas. :mad:

Lize
April 10th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Lize, I'd say you are at length, "Can I call this APL?"

Congratulations!

Thanks! :D That was exactly what I thought when posting that yesterday. :lol:

missy60
April 11th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Gosh, I thought I'd check how close I was to APL tonight. I thought I'd reach it in June but now I realize that a few hairs are already there! I don't know if I'd call this APL yet because there are so many hairs that aren't there... but maybe in a month or so?? What do you think?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/Libelous/almostapl.jpg

I would call that APL because I just recently posted in my blog that I had reached APL. I have layers and a more V shaped hair line then yours. So the bottom layer is all thats APL sort of similar to LuXious hair line.

Gemma
April 26th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Lize, I don't know how I missed this! You are definitely APL. :)

Go forth to BSL with pride! ;)

granitbaby
April 26th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I had almost forgot about this thread in the old forum.
I took a new photo today (it's in my album) and I'm only an inch or so from APL!:cheese: Convenient enough I'm wearing a striped t-shirt, I just have to measure how many stripes I have left!:lol:

Lize
April 28th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Lize, I don't know how I missed this! You are definitely APL. :)

Go forth to BSL with pride! ;)

Yay I will! :hollie: I bet you will be there very very soon too. :)

Now where is that APL to BSL thread? *off to search*

Millielie
April 29th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I hope I will reach APL around Christmas. My hair is just touching the shoulders in the back. In the front it is between chin and shoulders but I think it grows faster than average.

chloeishere
April 29th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I have a picture that I took today-- I'm closer to APL than I thought! I cropped this picture at (a conservative estimate for) APL length.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_3551c.jpg
I think I'm about half an inch away.
Unfortunately, I've decided that I need to trim soon-- I'm planning on trimming next Monday, and hope to take off no more than a centimeter (hopefully, I've never used Feye's method before). So I'm farther away than I appear right now. Even so, it grew more than I expected! It looks APL from one side, but not the other, oddly enough.
Just a little update!

Marysmirth
May 5th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I'm guessing that I'll reach APL in about 6 months or less. I'm at a little past 20" and 3" should get me there. Hope these summer months give me a boost in growth. I only gained 1/4" growth during April! Yikes!

Lize
May 7th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately, I've decided that I need to trim soon-- I'm planning on trimming next Monday, and hope to take off no more than a centimeter (hopefully, I've never used Feye's method before).

Let us know how the trim turns out! :)

chloeishere
May 7th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Oh, er, duh! Here it is. I took a picture afterwards.
I tried to crop these both at APL, and I think I succeeded. Black shirt is before the trim, white shirt is after.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_3651c-1.jpghttp://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_3661c-1.jpg

I did Feye's self trim for a slightly u shaped hemline. I measured right afterwards and got 20" (though I cannot get consistent results for measuring EVER), from 21". But my boyfriend said it didn't look shorter at all-- definitely not an inch shorter! I hope not. It does feel much nicer (no more velcro on those ends, though the shorter layers are still a bit grabby), and I like that my hemline is a bit thicker and not as deep of a U.
So I'd consider it a success, even though I'm sad about losing the length!
:cheese::p:cheese:

Lize
May 7th, 2008, 04:05 PM
chloeishere: Cool! It looks great and it doesn't look like you lost much length at all. You did a really good job. Isn't it amazing how much of a difference a tiny trim can do when it comes to quality of the ends? I just had a small trim too (0.2" or so) and it made a huge difference! (At least to me, noone else seem to have noticed :lol:)

chloeishere
May 7th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I agree, Lize! I figured the damage I was taking from having my ends tangle all the time (which they did, and then I'd detangle them, but I still get the bent ends from tangles, even if I detangle gently) was probably not doing great things for my hair. And I want to enjoy my hair now, rather than waiting until some arbitrary time in the future when I would be able to get rid of the funky ends and have smooth hair again. I was the one putting these limits up, so I can take them down!

I don't know if I could reliably trim 0.2" though! Wow! I just measured again, and got 20.5". That seems about right. I took a ruler and measured one centimeter of hair, then trimmed it off. But it would be a bit more than a centimeter, because I had to do the second step of trimming the back (my hair is still too short to pull that scrunchie over my shoulder).
I also wanted to reduce some of the end thinness- it wasn't looking fairy-tale-ish, I don't think... but if I held up a lock of hair, it would go from a bunch of hairs at the top to just a few thin ends at the very longest part. I don't like that look for my hair, so I decided to trim enough to even those up as well.

Yeah, the microtrims make a huge difference in feel, but not in look. I'm pretty sure my boyfriend wouldn't have noticed at all if I hadn't told him I'd trimmed-- but of course, he pets the silky, top parts of my hair-- not the ratty ends. So he wouldn't feel a difference. I am mildly obsessed with how my ends feel, even if no-one else ever feels them.

Gemma
May 9th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Last Saturday, I figured I'd finally hit APL when my hair kept getting caught in my armpits whilst I was swimming. :D

Photographic evidence!

Dry:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_0837a.jpg

Wet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_0853a.jpg

saman
May 9th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I've started growing my hair from 2 inches and it's around 6 inches now but it's layered.My first goal is shoulder length and I don't know if I could reach it this year or not? I'm so happy to see you all reaching APL soon.

saman
May 9th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Chloeishere
I'm so pleased to see nice trims like yours.who did trim it for you?very nice job.

chloeishere
May 9th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Yay Gemma! :happydance:

Hi saman! Thank you for the compliment. I trimmed my hair myself using Feye's self-trim instructions for a slight-u-shape. You can find all of Feye's trim directions here (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/).
I'm very pleased with the results-- it's the first time I've ever trimmed my hair myself without having to get out the scissors again for a week or so afterwards to get rid of weirdly long or uneven hairs!
Do you mean six inches long measuring the length of an individual hair? Most of us here measure from the front center hairline over the top of the head, and down to the longest length of hair. It gives consistent results, and helps everyone to know about how long your hair is with a glance at the number. I'm not sure how far you are from shoulder, but good luck!

saman
May 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Hello Chloeishere
I'm so happy to hear you've trimmed your hair yourself.very nice job indeed.they are even with a nice u shape.I measured my hair again and this time I measured from the front center hairline as you said and it was about 5 inches.It seems you reach apl soon.;)

granitbaby
May 13th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Can I call this Almost is this APL?:)
Hair isn't stretched and the measuring tape I have wrapped around me is hiking down a bit...:cool:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=12123&albumid=927&dl=1210700704&thumb=1

I would so love to be at APL, it feels like the first something if you know what I mean:cheese:

EDIT: the picture looks very small, look in my album for a better view.

Unofficial_Rose
May 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Lovely colour and condition.

It will look so fabulous when APL!

tomm
May 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Can I call this Almost is this APL?:)
I don't think that you get get much more "Almost" before you actually get there, so I would say you can :cheer: Congratulations! And I would echo Unofficial_Rose's comment - you hair looks wonderful.

tomm
May 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Belated congratulations to Gemma and Lize on reaching APL!! :blossom: :blossom:

Lize
May 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Belated congratulations to Gemma and Lize on reaching APL!! :blossom: :blossom:

Thank you tomm! :flowers:

Robinlyn
May 13th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Granitbaby-Great idea with the tape measure, I'm going to do that later! I think I'm getting close....I had a 1/4" trim last month. I'll take a new pic tonight! Congrats to Gemma & Lize!

ailin
May 17th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I tried the tape measure dealy as well. My longest layers seem to be only ~ 1.5 inches away now, dry and non-stretched. Getting there! :D And congrats to everyone who reached APL recently! :cheer:

Robinlyn
May 19th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Well I'm almost there! I think at the end of June I will be at APL! Yahoo for mini goals!
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/robinlyn_album/HairLength5-19-08.jpg
Happy growing to everyone!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=362&pictureid=12613

ailin
May 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/ir7q6t.jpg

Getting there... slowly... (pardon the unbrushed hair)

C_Bookworm
May 30th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Should be there in six months or less. Very excited to hit my first milestone.

Naluin
July 7th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I'm about 2" away from Can I call this APL? when my hair is stretched. So close! :D I get a little more than half an inch per month, so I'll meet my goal sometime in September or October.

I have my fingers crossed for a growth spurt. :)

Tangles
July 7th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Am I the only person whose APL is almost the same as her BSL?
I have long arms for my height, and also extremely long shoulders (long distance from top of shoulder to armpit). Look at my siggy pic and you'll see what I mean.

For this reason, APL is going to be a huge milestone for me. I'm guesstimating I'll reach it by September or October, and that I'll reach BSL by December or January, and Waist by... next July?

Sorry for getting carried away!

Siava
July 7th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I noticed this morning that my hair is a smidge away (half an inch perhaps?) from APL when sopping wet. It's still about 2" away when dry. I'll definitely reach it this year. Woot!

thankyousir74
July 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I shall reach APL by December if i'm lucky... wet, not even dry.

Naluin
July 7th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Am I the only person whose APL is almost the same as her BSL?
I have long arms for my height, and also extremely long shoulders (long distance from top of shoulder to armpit). Look at my siggy pic and you'll see what I mean.

For this reason, APL is going to be a huge milestone for me. I'm guesstimating I'll reach it by September or October, and that I'll reach BSL by December or January, and Waist by... next July?

Sorry for getting carried away!

APL is about 4" from BSL for me. APL is somewhere around 22" and BSL is around 26."

APL will be a big milestone for me because I can't remember the last time my hair was that long! At least you will get to BSL pretty quickly. I won't get there until May without a serious increase in growth rate.

Ellewen
July 7th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I'm about two inches away from APL with my longest layers. The shortest layers I have are juuuust long enough for me to pull my hair back into a twist or bun with a clip :)

ailin
July 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Sorry to bring my post-hot-8-hour-workday-while-wearing-a-hat-hair into this thread again, but...

http://i33.tinypic.com/o0wkn8.jpg

Yay! :D I'm officially there... barely.

chloeishere
July 8th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I'm officially there, too! I have been frustrated with my hair (feels like it hasn't been growing) so I haven't taken a length shot in forever. I also prefer to take length shots when my hair is freshly washed/ hasn't been braided or bunned already, because I get some funky waves.

However, I'm in the 30 day updo challenge, and I don't want to wait another 20 days to take a length shot, since I put my hair up before it's completely dry. So here it is, funky flipped up ends, and all! My hair looks a lot thinner on the bottom than normal, because a lot of my ends have flipped up 4 or 5 inches. Oh joy!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_4326c.jpg

By the way... I have scoliosis (not a terribly bad case at all, but... you know) which results in my armpits being at different heights, which I have marked on the picture. :p I've been at upper APL for months, but I only feel like I've reached lower APL within the past few weeks. And it felt like cheating to declare myself APL at the higher one!

It looks like I've been at APL for a while, based at how far I am past it. Oh well!

Yay! Next stop, BSL (which may not be till next year, I've got a ways to go)!

lady_hero
July 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Count me in, too! I'd like to be at APL by Christmas. I'm hoping the Miconazole treatments will do the trick ;-)

jeno
July 9th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Hmm, I feel if I'm almost there, but looking at my picture I can see I have to wait a couple of months. But I will reach it this year! http://i33.tinypic.com/3359nyf.jpg
This picture (sorry for poor quality!) is from June 22nd.

moshi-mo3
July 9th, 2008, 12:21 AM
i'll join my hair is shoulder length but it hasn't gotten longer because breakage i will beat it!:D

rhosyn_du
July 9th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Congrats, ailin and chloeishere! :happydance:

bex487
July 9th, 2008, 07:11 AM
This is definitely my thread! I should reach APL in 2-3 months, if I'm guessing correctly (I'm pretty bad at figuring out how much growth I get, since I'm so lazy with measuring). If I'm really lucky, it will be APL by the time I go to school at the end of August!

paper
July 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I have shoulder length, almost 1 length. I am much hair happier now. I can wear it up, and I just came out of mullet stage, so I can wear it down too! I am now looking forward to having APL hair.

I took this length pic couple days ago when my hair was wet. What do you think? Do you think I'll hit APL in the next 12 months?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd17/paper1962/wethairlength-1.jpg

tomm
July 19th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Welcome to all the new members!

jeno, you do look like you are getting very close! BTW, your hair looks incredible in your avatar - is that a Gibson tuck?

moshi-mo3, I am sure that you will beat the breakage, and we will have a double celebration when you make it to APL.

Becky, wouldn't that be a wonderful way to start the new school year! I hope you make it.

paper, I think that you stand a very good chance of getting to APL in the next 12 months.

paper
July 20th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Yay! I can't wait. :cheese:

jeno
July 20th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Welcome to all the new members!

jeno, you do look like you are getting very close! BTW, your hair looks incredible in your avatar - is that a Gibson tuck?

Thankyou! No, it's not a gibson tuck, it's my own invention (At least I think!)... I have some more pictures in my album of it.

I just make my hair into a ponytail and then roll it up and secure it with a clip. It's a really nice hairdo, holds quite well. I don't know if it's possible to do with longer hair, with a big clip I guess it will.

tigerlily83
July 20th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I think I can get there by this year. I may only be 4 inches away or so, but I'd have to re-measure to check. That would be wonderful if I got there by December! :)

Golden21
July 21st, 2008, 02:30 PM
I am going for bsl with my hair, but my stubborn front hairs have their own goal. I am aiming for apl for them by the end of the year. If I give myself plenty of scalp massages I may get there! This hair always seems to grow slower for me.

~*BeautyWitch*~
July 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
My longest layer is 1.5" away, my hair grows so slow in the cold months that I'm not even going to try and guesstimated how long that will take for me. I am SO ready for Spring! I hope reach my APL goal by my B-day (Aug). I also have a problem being around scissors so that's something I have to work on if I want to reach my goal. Hi guys! I haven't logged on in a while but i just wanted to update. I made my goal of APL stretched (straightened) last month! I'm have a hard time taking pics of the back but here are some

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w319/htsmama/S7003614-1.jpghttp://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w319/htsmama/jk.jpg
HHG everyone!

tomm
July 21st, 2008, 08:09 PM
Congratulations, BeautyWitch!! Another graduate!

DecafJane
July 22nd, 2008, 01:39 AM
I just re-measured my hair using a tape measure and a camera rather than by feel (which is what I have been doing until now) and it seems that my hair is more like 18 inches long, and I have a solid 4 inches or so to go before the longest parts get to APL. It looks like I don't grow as quickly as I hoped, and that it will be at least the start of next year before I am at APL. :(
On the bright side, I can wear it up now, so it isn't as painful. :)

ladyshannonanne
July 22nd, 2008, 02:14 AM
I'm two inches from APL, which means I'll probably hit it in 3-4 months, or right around my birthday. That will be a really nice birthday present. I'm growing out a layered bob that is longer in the front and haven't hacked any length since the original cut last November.

sexyjacksparrow
July 22nd, 2008, 02:57 AM
Can I join this thread? I think I may just be able to reach APL by the end of 2008 (stretched, not curly). I don't have any up-to-date pictures at the moment but I'm currently at shoudler length.

Kerry xx

paper
July 22nd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Hi guys! I haven't logged on in a while but i just wanted to update. I made my goal of APL stretched (straightened) last month! I'm have a hard time taking pics of the back but here are some

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w319/htsmama/S7003614-1.jpghttp://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w319/htsmama/jk.jpg
HHG everyone!

Your hair looks beautiful! Congrats on reaching this milestone! :cheese:

tomm
July 22nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
On the bright side, I can wear it up now, so it isn't as painful. :)
Congratulations on the milestone!! Finally having hair long enough to put up is a wonderful feeling, isn't it!!

Aelith
July 22nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
I should be APL within 10 months, although technically not THIS year, it will be WITHIN a year :o

tomm
July 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
I'm two inches from APL, which means I'll probably hit it in 3-4 months, or right around my birthday. That will be a really nice birthday present.
Welcome, ladyshannonanne! That would indeed be a wondeful present - I look forward to reading that you made it!

tomm
July 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
I am in the same position as you, Kerry - I expect to reach APL (dripping wet) this year, but it will another 6 months to a year before I'll be there dry. Welcome!

tomm
July 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Welcome, Aelith! Your hair has grown so much since last year, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was down to APL sooner than expected.

DecafJane
July 23rd, 2008, 05:24 AM
Congratulations on the milestone!! Finally having hair long enough to put up is a wonderful feeling, isn't it!!

Thanks, Tomm! My hair is getting curlier as it gets longer, so while I love the curl, it makes the growing slower, too. But it is all good, and I LOVE putting it up. Curls don't matter when it is all tied up. :)

paper
July 23rd, 2008, 06:15 AM
I took a new picture for this thread........

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd17/paper1962/APLGoal.jpg

DecafJane
September 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
It doesn't quite look like I am going to get there this year - probably some time a few months into next year. :(
On the bright side, my growth is still inching along, my curls are coming out more, and the ends are still very healthy nearly one year after my last cut. :)
Also, it will only be a short amount of time between APL and BSL - I guess shoulder to APL is really the most frustrating and long time.

ladyshannonanne
September 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I've got just about an inch to APL, maybe two, depending on how wavy my hair is on a given day. I'll be at APL right around my birthday in November!

DecafJane
September 28th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Here is my current length as of this afternoon:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2894067111_47641b799f.jpg?v=0
It is getting so much longer, and I love all of the un-cut layers and non-trimmed look. It is so thick I think I can get away with it. ;)

Carina
September 28th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I feel that I have to join this group.I cut from bsl to three inches(?) away from apl.I had some damage from bleach that I wanted to say goodbye too.I had the cut done a month ago.

rhosyn_du
September 28th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Woo hoo! I have officially reached APL. I've lost my camera charger, so I don't have pictures, but the ends of my hair got stuck in my armpit this morning. :cheese: Come to think of it, that's kind of a weird thing to be happy about.

Addy
September 28th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I can't wait for my hair to grow longer... but for now, I'm at APL.

Grow hair GROW!

paper
September 29th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Congrats rhosyn_du & Addy on reaching APL! :cheese::cheese:

toocurly
September 30th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Full complex of vitamins from group B, scalp massages, coconut oil...I hope I'll be APL this year:)

chrissy-b
September 30th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Unfortunately, I did not calculate in the stall I had over the summer or the stall I'm in currently. I measured my hair for nine months and the averaged what I'd have by the end of the year but nature used a quite different formula.

I hope I'll be at APL by the end of the year, but it doesn't look likely at this point. :(

suicides_eve
September 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I am shooting for the end of this november to be offically APL, i am nearly there already.

good growing everyone:)

Oskimosa
September 30th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I should hit it sometime before the end of the year, maybe as early as the end of October. I guess it depends on growth spurts or stalls. I started taking biotin just over a month ago, and nothing yet, but I've heard it can take 3 months to see a real difference when taking vitamins. 3 months should be enough time to get me to APL by the end of this year!

I think it's about 1.5 inches away.

DecafJane
October 31st, 2008, 07:10 PM
The longest parts of my hair are now APL when stretched! I know that it doesn't really count, but it means that I am very close to getting there!!! :D

mommy101405
October 31st, 2008, 07:53 PM
I think my longest layers should be APL my Christmas. Its very close now. If I stretch it they may already be. I need to get some new hair pics.

suicides_eve
November 2nd, 2008, 08:03 AM
ok so change of plans.. i had a trim and lost some length i am now looking at end of december or january.:cheese:

GlassEyes
November 2nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
I'm TECHNICALLY almost at APL stretched. I have about an inch or so to go.

): I don't think that counts much though.

DecafJane
November 3rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
I'm very similar - but it makes me happy, as I am so very close! :D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/2993968830_c685d1cb68_m.jpg

curls2grow
November 3rd, 2008, 06:10 AM
I am past APL when my hair is wet, but I get about 4-5" if shrinkage from my curls. :mad: I really want to try to get APL when curly/dry. I don't know if my hair will cooperate -- it seems to curl up even more knowing what my goal is. ;)

mommy101405
November 3rd, 2008, 06:40 AM
I'm very similar - but it makes me happy, as I am so very close! :D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/2993968830_c685d1cb68_m.jpg

I am right there when stretched. Although I don't have nearly the wave you do.

DecafJane
November 3rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
I am right there when stretched. Although I don't have nearly the wave you do.

We can count down the inches together. :cheese:

mommy101405
November 3rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
We can count down the inches together. :cheese:

I just measured. I am 22 1/2. That's the first time I have ever measured :p

My layers look similar to yours too.

DecafJane
November 3rd, 2008, 10:45 PM
Yay, that is a good length! :D

jeno
November 5th, 2008, 11:14 AM
what do you think? APL this year?
http://i38.tinypic.com/2numvqg.jpg

NightDaemon
November 5th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Depends on where you measure it, but I'd even say you were APL already, jeno.

jeno
November 5th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Depends on where you measure it, but I'd even say you were APL already, jeno.
Yay! I am APL! :magic:

suicides_eve
December 10th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I just wanted to throw up and update picture, i should be officially APL by the end of January!!

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2984/p00454uq5ip3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/p00454uq5ip3.jpg/1/w240.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img218/p00454uq5ip3.jpg/1/)

DecafJane
December 11th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Yay! You are almost there!
I am thinking that I will be well and truly there (dry and wavy as well as wet) by March sometime:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3094/3100336340_c6d0fae69b_m.jpg
Right now I seem to be thickening up a LOT rather than gaining a lot of length, but that is okay. It is getting curlier, and the curls are doing their thing, so who am I to complain? :)

suicides_eve
December 11th, 2008, 09:15 AM
that was my probblem it seemed the past 2 months i was gaining length but rather volume :/ i d
even though i was shedding enough to make my own wigs.
i have yet to figure out how that worked out, but this month it feels like i am making up in length.

Sammybunny711
December 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I think I'll reach APL in about 7-8 months (HOPEFULLY!) :pray:

utdesertrunner
December 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Can I join the club? APL is my first length goal. I am at 20 inches right now and apl for me is about 22, so hopefully around April I should be "true" APL. Happy growing!

suicides_eve
December 12th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I'm not counting inches, i'm only going by visual.
when my hair gets pretty good past my imaginary arm pit line then i lay claims to the title of offically APL.

i never can get a poper measurment b/c my curls have a mind of there oen no matter how far i pull, stretch what have you

rapunzhell13
December 12th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I hope I reach APL by the end of 2009! It's very possible. :D

kelsoberry
December 12th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Feb 2008, growing out a pixie. When it was still this short I'd spike it up with product and bleach out the top layers. (what was I thinking.. bleach =(
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/341/photo2hl1.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo2hl1.jpg)

Today. Just started a serious hair care regiment about a month ago. No harsh shampoo, extra conditioning, and I've put away my flat iron.
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7096/photo12of3.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo12of3.jpg)

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2966/photo13qu2.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo13qu2.jpg)

I guess webcams are a pretty good way to track progress. I think this means that I'll make APL by this year? I need to eventually trim out all those damn layers.

suicides_eve
December 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Feb 2008, growing out a pixie. When it was still this short I'd spike it up with product and bleach out the top layers. (what was I thinking.. bleach =(
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/341/photo2hl1.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo2hl1.jpg)

Today. Just started a serious hair care regiment about a month ago. No harsh shampoo, extra conditioning, and I've put away my flat iron.
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7096/photo12of3.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo12of3.jpg)

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2966/photo13qu2.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo13qu2.jpg)

I guess webcams are a pretty good way to track progress. I think this means that I'll make APL by this year? I need to eventually trim out all those damn layers.

i would say about another 5 months or so and you'll be near or at apl

paper
December 14th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I have shoulder length, almost 1 length. I am much hair happier now. I can wear it up, and I just came out of mullet stage, so I can wear it down too! I am now looking forward to having APL hair.

I took this length pic couple days ago when my hair was wet. What do you think? Do you think I'll hit APL in the next 12 months?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd17/paper1962/wethairlength-1.jpg

I posted this in July 08, I think I will hit APL by July 09! :cheese:

zen_oven
December 14th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I found this thread after hitting APL about a week ago. . . so yay! It makes me feel accomplished. :) I guess now I can hope to hit BSL by mid-2009 (luckily I have a shortish torso).

paper
December 15th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Congrats zen_oven! :cheese:

Good luck on reaching BSL!

DecafJane
December 15th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Last night I took a quick picture while my hair was wet, and without stretching it, the length is about 1cm away from APL! I'm so close! :D

beehives
December 15th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Yes! I'd love to hit APL by the end of '09.

kam984420
December 15th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Yes! I'd love to hit APL by the end of '09.

I would too. But it probably won't happen for me until 2010.

SafoByMengin
December 16th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Im at APL. Now going for BSL.

curls2grow
December 16th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Yes! I'd love to hit APL by the end of '09. Same here, but that's dry/curly for me, so it takes extra time. :( And then if/when I get to that point, I hope I like it this time around so that I enjoy being at my goal before I do any major trims, like I did last time.

HairyCarrie
January 2nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
I want to be in on this thread as APL is my next goal and I expect to make it this year. I've decided not to trim until I do, and then only trim afterwards if I really need it.

I'm so looking forward to meeting my first really big milestone. I need almost 4 inches to do it so fingers crossed that I'll be joining the BSL thread this time next year.

Happy New Year everyone.

GlennaGirl
January 2nd, 2009, 11:13 PM
I think I'll be APL in March/April-ish.

Armpits, here we come!!!

YumiYume
January 3rd, 2009, 04:39 AM
I'll join you guys here =D!!

My hair is shoulder lenth and Im looking forward to apl =D! That is my goal for 2009, and I think I'll reach it before the end of this year =)

METABUZZ
January 3rd, 2009, 05:30 AM
I'm sure you'll reach it!

paper
January 3rd, 2009, 07:13 AM
Good luck everyone! I'm hoping to reach APL by June or July!

lady_hero
January 3rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
I think I'll reach APL by July-ish!

GlennaGirl
January 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Good luck, girls. :) (And guys, if any join this thread.)

We'll get there soon!

Copasetic
January 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
What qualifies as APL? Does it just mean that your hair touches the top of the armpit area?

kam984420
January 3rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
What qualifies as APL? Does it just mean that your hair touches the top of the armpit area?

Your hair needs to come down even with your armpits. Get a picture and draw a line connecting your armpits. (Some have done this here.) If the tip of your hair touches the line, you are APL.

YumiYume
January 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
hm.. I really dont know.. but if that doesnt count as apl when the tip is there then Im not going to reach it this year O_O

well, anyway, I would count it as that anyway :)

kam984420
January 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
hm.. I really dont know.. but if that doesnt count as apl when the tip is there then Im not going to reach it this year O_O

well, anyway, I would count it as that anyway :)

sorry i worded my post wrong. My bad. I'll fix it.(Besides i have no clue what im talking about.) LOL :laugh:

suicides_eve
January 3rd, 2009, 03:10 PM
i dunno...i consider APL when you have a far amount of hair creeping over that imaginary armpit to arm pit line. Other say it's apl when the hair gets caught under the arm pit. Personal choice i guess. I have anxiously awaiting apl so i'm calling my self apl now

Copasetic
January 3rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
i dunno...i consider APL when you have a far amount of hair creeping over that imaginary armpit to arm pit line. Other say it's apl when the hair gets caught under the arm pit. Personal choice i guess. I have anxiously awaiting apl so i'm calling my self apl now

In my head I think of APL as when your hair could curl under your arm pit, if that makes sense. My longest layers pass that imaginary line that joins your arm pits, but I don't know if i would call that APL. I want to though, because I am SO sick of being shoulder length. :o

rags
January 3rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
I am literally shoulder length (just barely below) so maybe this year? I hope so!

Silver Strands
January 4th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I think I may reach APL this year so i'll join for 2009.

I just took my avatar picture today.

rymorg2
January 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I think I'll be APL in March/April-ish.

Armpits, here we come!!!

GG I'm right there with ya....Somewhere between March and May for me. :D

rymorg2
January 4th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I'm in....somewhere around March through May if my growth trend continues like it should....I regularly get 3/4" to 1" a month once it hits shoulder length. Prior to that takes longer. APL is right about 21-22" or so for me, so that's about right since I measured at 19".

DecafJane
January 4th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I just took a quick picture to check on my growth in the last two weeks, and I look like the longest layers will be there by the end of this month, so I will probably be able to claim APL properly some time in February. :)

paper
January 5th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I just took a quick picture to check on my growth in the last two weeks, and I look like the longest layers will be there by the end of this month, so I will probably be able to claim APL properly some time in February. :)

:cheese: Thats great! Going to be exciting year for alot of us. Good luck everyone on reaching APL.

GlennaGirl
January 5th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Way to grow, DecafJane!

DecafJane
January 6th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks, ladies. It is an exciting time! This is the point at which most of the people I know start to see hair as being "long," so we are on our way. :)

suicides_eve
January 6th, 2009, 10:42 AM
yea!! good news!! thats great DecafeJane

lapushka
January 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I'm joining too, and guessing it will take me about 6 months... maybe more.

GlennaGirl
January 7th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Welcome, lapushka!

Cute doggie.

lapushka
January 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Thank you!

GlennaGirl
January 7th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Okay, girls. So what's your go-to style at this length?

I find either a half-up or a simple cinnabun high up on the back of the head are the two I reach for over and over again. I hold the bun with hairpins (it's still just a scootch short for a hairstick to hold securely).

Demetrue
January 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
My longest layers in back are just barely touching my shoulders, so I am guessing that with no trimming it will take 8 months to reach APL. I want to re-evaluate the layers on the 24th of each month and may trim a small amount for evening up the ends. I will do absolutely no trimming between each one-month growth period. I'm kind of excited because I feel like I finally have a plan for how to grow out these layers/damage, while growing out the entire length at the same time.

Silver Strands
January 8th, 2009, 05:19 AM

I find either a half-up or a simple cinnabun high up on the back of the head are the two I reach for over and over again. I hold the bun with hairpins (it's still just a scootch short for a hairstick to hold securely).

Mine is in my signature.
I also wear a french twist either tucked in or with a tail.
I haven't been able to use hairsticks yet either and my braids are laughable.
I do think that by late April I will be able to do more styles.

ETA: You can do a cinnabun? I can't wear my hair too high up on my head or i'll get a headache.

Silver Strands
January 8th, 2009, 05:34 AM
My longest layers in back are just barely touching my shoulders, so I am guessing that with no trimming it will take 8 months to reach APL. I want to re-evaluate the layers on the 24th of each month and may trim a small amount for evening up the ends. I will do absolutely no trimming between each one-month growth period. I'm kind of excited because I feel like I finally have a plan for how to grow out these layers/damage, while growing out the entire length at the same time.

That sounds like a good plan.
I started self trimming at collarbone length using the collarbone as a guide.
I stayed there until I trimmed almost all the layers out.
It worked out real well but I was there for a very long time.

Heck, i'm just barely past there now.

YumiYume
January 8th, 2009, 08:13 AM
sorry i worded my post wrong. My bad. I'll fix it.(Besides i have no clue what im talking about.) LOL :laugh:

haha, its ok, I dont really know eather XD, just hoping that it does count anyway, at least a bit, or that my hair gets an extra boost and comes to apl anyway this year :D!

YumiYume
January 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM
my hairstyle.. right now its really cold outside and its snowing to, so Im wearing a uhm.. hat? no.. cap? whatever.. its a thick tning keeping your head and ears from the cold XD, soooo, I keep it inside that.. but i use to have my hair in two tiny tails low next to my neck, not completly behind I let the go a bit over my choulder ^^, and I got chin/cheek lenth hair loose in the front at both sides =) it looks cute ^^

GlennaGirl
January 8th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Mine is in my signature.
I also wear a french twist either tucked in or with a tail.
I haven't been able to use hairsticks yet either and my braids are laughable.
I do think that by late April I will be able to do more styles.

ETA: You can do a cinnabun? I can't wear my hair too high up on my head or i'll get a headache.

Silver Strands, I LOVE French twists, but somehow, mine come out looking...I don't know. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but they never quite look French twist-y.

I can do a cinnabun and keep it high on my head with no headache. My hair isn't very heavy, though.

I think braids at our length are adorable! I'll bet your braids are cuter than you think.

GlennaGirl
January 8th, 2009, 09:44 AM
my hairstyle.. right now its really cold outside and its snowing to, so Im wearing a uhm.. hat? no.. cap? whatever.. its a thick tning keeping your head and ears from the cold XD, soooo, I keep it inside that.. but i use to have my hair in two tiny tails low next to my neck, not completly behind I let the go a bit over my choulder ^^, and I got chin/cheek lenth hair loose in the front at both sides =) it looks cute ^^

Good idea, hon...thanks...I may wear my hair that way today and see how I like it.

suicides_eve
January 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM

i am friends with a big claw clip. i raided Claire's at the mall and found a bunch of cute ones. I have to keep my hair back and under a visor at work so my styling is limited..

Nutty
January 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I'm hoping that my front and side sections will be nearly at APL by the end of the year! I'm not really sure how quickly my hair will grow - it seems really slow but hopefully now I'm taking better care of it I will see some good growth!

My longest layers are just below my shoulders so I wonder if they will make BSL by the end of the year?

suicides_eve
January 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I'm hoping that my front and side sections will be nearly at APL by the end of the year! I'm not really sure how quickly my hair will grow - it seems really slow but hopefully now I'm taking better care of it I will see some good growth!

My longest layers are just below my shoulders so I wonder if they will make BSL by the end of the year?

possibly but maybe a little longer, the front pieces seem to take a bit more time to grow then the back and sides.

GlennaGirl
January 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
i am friends with a big claw clip. i raided Claire's at the mall and found a bunch of cute ones. I have to keep my hair back and under a visor at work so my styling is limited..

I love Claire's!!!

DecafJane
January 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I straightened it this morning as I haven't done that in 6 months, and this is my current hair length:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3134/3180227501_8f9f562033_m.jpg

I am SO CLOSE to APL! :D
It is now longer than it has been in years, so I am happy.

kam984420
January 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I straightened it this morning as I haven't done that in 6 months, and this is my current hair length:

CONGRATS! That's awesome. Happy Growing!

DecafJane
January 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM
CONGRATS! That's awesome. Happy Growing!

Thanks! :)

paper
January 9th, 2009, 07:40 AM

I love half ups and headbands.

paper
January 9th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Thats amazing growth! Looking good! :cheese:

paper
January 9th, 2009, 07:45 AM

That sounds like a good plan to me. I know I always had goals and plans I stick to, and it really helps!

DecafJane
January 10th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Thats amazing growth! Looking good! :cheese:

Thanks! It is VERY hot here over Summer, and I have been eating a little too well for the past few weeks, so perhaps that has helped. :o

The ends at the back look strangely fuzzy in this picture, but in real life it doesn't look like this. My ends in the bottom layer are always the least damaged for some reason. I'm not complaining.

suicides_eve
January 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM
oh my josh DecafeJane i didn't recognize the back of your head!! lol it's gotten alot longer since your last pictures. your'll hit apl in no time flat more them likely next month( i don't go by the hair under the arm pit thing, as soon as that hair hits the apl line thats when i call it:D)

CestMadeleine
January 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I will be APL in about 1-2 months :D It's really really close ^_^

rags
January 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM
As for the hairstyles, I like to wear half ups, and twist it into a cinnabun with sticks. I also like to do this weird little twist with one stick that holds amazingly well. And I'm another one who is great friends with the claw clips!

DecafJane
January 10th, 2009, 11:13 PM
oh my josh DecafeJane i didn't recognize the back of your head!! lol it's gotten alot longer since your last pictures. your'll hit apl in no time flat more them likely next month( i don't go by the hair under the arm pit thing, as soon as that hair hits the apl line thats when i call it:D)

Thanks! I think it will be next month, too. It is so exciting. I think we will both be on track for BSL sometime this year. :D

suicides_eve
January 16th, 2009, 11:03 PM
oh i hope so i feel like i just bought a new car and can't pick it up yet:D

summer just is taking for ever it feels like, but then again that means my dd will be turning 4 and i am not prepared for that!! she is suppose to stay my little baby and hair practice buddy:violin:

Debra83
January 16th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I'm hoping to reach APL in 2 months. We'll see. sigh.

paper
January 17th, 2009, 09:03 AM
oh i hope so i feel like i just bought a new car and can't pick it up yet:D

summer just is taking for ever it feels like, but then again that means my dd will be turning 4 and i am not prepared for that!! she is suppose to stay my little baby and hair practice buddy:violin:

I'll definitely be at APL this summer. :cheese:

Ahhh, I only had sons. I wish I had a daughter, I could of tryed alot of updos on her lol. Well, maybe I'll have a granddaughter some day. :hmm:

suicides_eve
January 20th, 2009, 06:03 PM
this is so neat it like the of us all started around the same time and were still going strong:) i feel so proud for us all, it's getting there girls and its nice to have people to share the journey and the pains with:toast:

paper
January 21st, 2009, 02:28 AM
Yes, it is great sharing this journey with you all!

Good luck! :bottomsup:

suicides_eve
January 29th, 2009, 02:41 PM
how is every one making out on there journy's?

viking_quest
January 29th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I'm hoping for APL by June/July and since my hair seems to grow fairly quickly I'm sure I'll be there or really close to it by then.

Toadstool
January 30th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I think I should reach APL by December IF (and that's a big if, there are twelve opportunities for premenstrual hairchopping)I manage to stay away from the scissors...

harpyangel
January 30th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Yay I'm only a couple of inches away from APL. Very exciting!

Harpyangel xxx

wimitlee
January 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I'm soooo close to APL!

curls2grow
January 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM
The bottom layer of my hair at the nape of my neck is much straighter (like almost stick straight) than the rest of my curly 3b hair. I noticed this morning when I brought it around front, it was just past APL -- this was dry hair! So yay for that!! Except that I need the 3b curly part (95% of my hair) to get to that point. So I'm considering this morning's observation just a teaser! Bring on APL for the rest of my hair!

DecafJane
January 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3507/3239301357_810550ae90_m.jpg
Opinions? "Can I call this APL?" :D

suicides_eve
January 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3507/3239301357_810550ae90_m.jpg
Opinions? "Can I call this APL?" :D

i would call this APL:cheer::joy::blossom::beerchug::hifive:

i know what it's like for a curly girl;)

cheers!

DecafJane
January 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hooray! Thanks! :D

suicides_eve
January 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM
see ya on the apl to bsl boards!!

oh happy day!! now we just need paper!! come woman grow that hair!!

paper
January 30th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Congrats DecafJane!!! :cheese::cheer::bottomsup:

I'll be joining you all soon, I hope! :pray:

DecafJane
January 30th, 2009, 07:22 PM
You will be there before you know it. :)

rags
January 30th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Decaf Jane - I would certainly call that APL! Congratulations!
A couple more inches for me........

DecafJane
January 30th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks, rags. You'll be there very soon!

paper
March 20th, 2009, 06:47 AM
How's everyone doing? I'm waiting to measure April 1st. The longest part of my hair might brush APL. Have to wait and see! :cheese:

HairyCarrie
March 31st, 2009, 05:30 PM
I hope no one minds if I update my progress with a picture. I'm at 18" today and I'm thinking I need 4 more inches to be a solid APL. I'm confidant I'll get there this year (no trims in '09), but it's going to take a couple more inches than I originally thought. Hopefully the longer wait for APL means a shorter wait for BSL. :p

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL655/2418900/21339242/360053294.jpg

curls2grow
March 31st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Your hair looks so pretty HairyCarrie!

I am hoping to hit APL by year-end but I may not get there. My HD told me to wait at least 12 weeks between trims (no more than 1/4" each time), but I get nuts about my ends being frizzy. I figure I need about 8" in growth to get 3-4" dry :( since I have so much darn shrinkage. So this may not happen by end of 2009 for me, but I'm hanging in there.

paper
March 31st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Your hair is really looking good HairyCarrie! So shiny and healthy.

I'm not planning on trimming until I hit APL. I have about an inch to go.

hanne jensen
April 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I'm hoping to hit APL in June. I'm almost there!

ShaSha
April 7th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I'm hoping to get to APL this year.

Few months ago I had (at a guess) some 10 cm (4 inches) trimmed off. Now I'm kicking myself and wondering if it was really that damaged. :(

Luckily it will grow. :)

GlennaGirl
April 8th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I think I'm really close to APL now. :)

losgan
April 23rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Ok - inserting myself into those hoping to reach APL ...

The last time I cut my hair off was because it got to APL ... and got IN my AP and grossed me out ...

So of course after that I plan to keep going to BSL ...

I'm not sure how far I have to go - the longest layer is starting to lay on my shoulders.

paper
April 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
I'll be checking my length on the 1st. Some days it feels like APL, some days it feels far off. :shrug:

rags
April 23rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
I think I've got another inch to go yet. I was hoping to hit APL in May, but now I'm thinking it might be June or July. My hair doesn't grow very quickly.

chrissy-b
April 25th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I was hoping to reach APL last year, sometime in late November but no. I waited and waited and checked my length nearly every week. Then I gave up. I stopped looking.

Today I realized that I've passed APL by about 1/2 inch. :cheese:

From shoulder to APL took over nine months! Now I only have a few inches until I reach BSL. I hope it doesn't take as long...

paper
April 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Thats great chrissy-b! :cheese: Congrats!

How many inches for your APL?

chrissy-b
April 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Thats great chrissy-b! :cheese: Congrats!

How many inches for your APL?

Thank you! :)

I thought it was 22 inches but I took a photo of myself with a tape measure running down my back and it's actually 21 (I'm not very tall and I have a short torso). BSL is 24 according to my lowest-sitting bra. BSL is my next big milestone and I'm now so close I can feel it!!

paper
April 25th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks! Good luck with your next goal!

losgan
April 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM
22 sounds about right ... because I'm at 18 right now ... and I thought just eyeballing it (no tape) I probably have about 4 inches to go.

paper
May 3rd, 2009, 04:20 AM
I'm on the short end of APL. I wrapped a towel under my arms and took a picture. And, it's almost touching. Should be there next month for sure! :cheese:

Upside Down
May 3rd, 2009, 05:45 AM
I'm 4 inches away from APL...

I really think my hair can do it this year, even if I do have to have trimms (and I will, because I still have layers :( )

Keeping my fingers crossed :)

HairyCarrie
May 3rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Yay! I'm now only 3 inches away from APL. That would be a total length of 22 inches. I'm 5'3" tall and didn't expect it to take that much length to hit my pits. But I expect BSL to only be 25" so that shouldn't take quite as long. Keep on growin'....!

Silver Strands
May 3rd, 2009, 07:42 PM
I have about 2" to go, so hopefully by the end of summer.
I'm looking forward to it.

Maybe i'll actually be able to do a complete bun instead of the "half" ones i'm doing now!